2016 ILX HDMI Input Hack

Old 05-26-2015, 05:32 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 71 Posts
2016 ILX HDMI Input Hack

So something I've noticed over the last month of ownership.

The 2016 Premiums use an iPhone app and an Apple HDMI adapter to link the Acura branded navigation app to your ILX's 8" screen/buttons for input.

I have noticed a few times the app doesn't doesn't sync up, and you can actually see a live mirrored iPhone display on the navigation display just as if you plunged in your iPhone to a TV or projector. One time I even was able to rotate the phone and all the apps on the screen rotated accordingly.

I've only been able to have it show the screen for a few seconds before it realizes the app isn't running and it blanks out the display with a 'connecting' prompt.

So obviously it's possibe to use the Navagation display as a HDMI in, but how do keep it there. Is there some sort of dealership de-bug menu you can dig into and activate this feature?

Damn I'd kill for a dealership FSM on the '16 ILX's; this car is full of secrets.
The following users liked this post:
haidarh (01-08-2016)
Old 06-16-2015, 09:11 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I am waiting for a NAVtool or similar to get iphone mirroring on the nav screen.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:58 AM
Racer

Well like i said in the first post... i know its 'possible' because I've seen the system glitch many times and show a mirrored iPhone screen.

Just imagine how nice it would be to have Netflix, Youtube, or even Apple/Google maps on the main display.

There has to be a debug or special menu somewhere to activate it... if only we had the Factory Service Manual.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:57 AM
16 SSM ILX Prem-Aspec

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Thmanx
Well like i said in the first post... i know its 'possible' because I've seen the system glitch many times and show a mirrored iPhone screen.

Just imagine how nice it would be to have Netflix, Youtube, or even Apple/Google maps on the main display.

There has to be a debug or special menu somewhere to activate it... if only we had the Factory Service Manual.
Keep us posted! this would be awesome for the kids on a long ride!
Old 06-17-2015, 04:03 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Interesting....I've been using the iPhone Navigation app setup for awhile now and haven't noticed that yet.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:23 PM
Racer

Well I'd take a photo of it with my iPhone... but its kinda connected to the head-unit when it happens... lol
Old 06-23-2015, 11:41 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everyone want to see this mirror screen happen, also anyone know's if Android Samsung Note 3 phone will work on this?
Old 08-01-2015, 08:55 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Due to safety reasons you won't be able to mirror netflix or youtube or your phone to watch anything because it could be a distraction. You can try to bypass the system to trick the screen into thinking your still on "Park"
A buddy of mine did that on his fusion so he can be able to watch movies while driving. He added a switch under his dash that made his display think it was still on "Park" and thats how he got it to work.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:51 PM
Racer

It hasn't happened now for a few months, but I think it's because my GF has turned off her Bluetooth every time she's in the car.

I noticed it happened more when the system was continually plugged/un-plugged from the "App" mode. Some times you could press the home button on your iPhone and the screen on the dash would mirror your iPhone. Maybe it's a timing thing.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:38 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Oh ok . Well I'm not sure how it is for the ILX since I haven't tried it but I did some research on it. I don't even have an hdmi output cable for my iPhone so I can't say lol
Hopefully you can figure it out and give us the way to do it successfully
Old 08-02-2015, 11:02 PM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
There is a way to mimic the screen from your Iphone to the Both screen on your ilx, my Acura district manager showed me this lol am I like wtf!? Every Acura has a diag screen only Acura techs can get into you can alter some setting and your iPhone screen will show up on the car screens will stay on but come off when vehicle is shut off after that will have to go back to settings everytime you start the car if you want you iPhone mimic.
rmccallister (02-06-2023)
Old 08-03-2015, 12:10 AM
Racer

See I wasnt crazy!!! Lol
Old 08-04-2015, 12:20 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Nickb257
There is a way to mimic the screen from your Iphone to the Both screen on your ilx, my Acura district manager showed me this lol am I like wtf!? Every Acura has a diag screen only Acura techs can get into you can alter some setting and your iPhone screen will show up on the car screens will stay on but come off when vehicle is shut off after that will have to go back to settings everytime you start the car if you want you iPhone mimic.
Step by step how to mirror iphone please Nickb257 !
Old 08-04-2015, 02:31 PM
Racer

Yes please!
Old 09-12-2015, 11:23 AM
4th Gear

I would really love to know how to get into the maintenance screen and/or mirror my iphone. Google/Apple maps are decades ahead of car GPS and I'm not about to shell out $60 for a crap app (the iOS reviews are all bad) when Google has all my spots saved and whatnot. If there is ANY way to accomplish this (free or paid) I would be very interested!
Old 09-12-2015, 02:15 PM
Advanced

The App isn't bad, I've had it since almost day one and have never a problem with it. Maybe not as nice as the stock system but it's a great deal for $60. bucks!
Not sure why the reviews would be bad, it pretty much does everything except for a few minor things. It's even better/user friendly then the Ford Sync System I have in my truck.

Also, in case your married or someone else drives your car, you can use the Apple family share plan to allow someone else to have the app for free. pretty easy.

For someone like myself that rarely needs a GPS or wants to save a thousand dollars or so, it's a great system.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:44 AM
4th Gear

App

Well after a got of searching for ways around it I bought the app yesterday and when it works it's really neat... However I ran into both the freezing bug (killing and restarting the app doesn't fix it) and the blackout bug (same thing again). So within 24 hours of getting the car/app I ran into 2 show stoppers. I have to go back to the dealer to sign some final forms and I'm going to ask to speak to a tech to see if they will tell me. I found at least one of the debug menus but there was nothing in it of value (hold Menu + Back + Music).
Old 09-14-2015, 12:57 AM
1st Gear

After seeing all the comments, the app worth it?Or i can spend 20 dollars to buy a phone holder to use google map?
Old 09-14-2015, 09:19 AM
4th Gear

Don't buy the app right now

Originally Posted by ma michael
After seeing all the comments, the app worth it?Or i can spend 20 dollars to buy a phone holder to use google map?
If they fix the freezing and black screen issues I think it is worth it but for now I would advise against dropping $60 on it and going with the car mount (that's what I'm using right now). I will post back here when I go in and talk to the dealer (hopefully sometime this week) on if there is a debug menu you can get to that will let you just mirror your phone (which would bypass the need for the Acura app as well) and use Google Maps/Apple Maps.

The only thing I hate is how my car mount blocks the screen and so I have to take my phone off to see the backup camera in full.

That linked mount works fine for my iPhone 6+ but I have to always use it in landscape mode but that's fine for me as I prefer that. For my iPhone 5S it worked fine both ways.
Old 09-14-2015, 12:48 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
if there is a debug menu you can get to that will let you just mirror your phone (which would bypass the need for the Acura app as well) and use Google Maps/Apple Maps.
Please keep us posted once you find out ! That would be awesome. I asked the dealer before and no luck on my end.
Old 09-19-2015, 03:52 AM
Advanced

For what it's worth, I haven't had any of the problems. As for just using your iPhone map with a holder, big difference in looking at a small phone screen compared to the nice big screen on the ILX.
Old 09-19-2015, 08:05 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Drake3287
For what it's worth, I haven't had any of the problems. As for just using your iPhone map with a holder, big difference in looking at a small phone screen compared to the nice big screen on the ILX.
I agree I just hate how mine blocks my backup cam. What type of mount do you use and where do you have it?
Old 09-21-2015, 07:11 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
This is what I use and I love it.
Amazon.com: LUXA2 LH0013 H5 - Premium Car Mount - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: LUXA2 LH0013 H5 - Premium Car Mount - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

A bit pricey, but this is my second one. My original one was in my Civic which got totaled after an a hole hit me. The nice thing is that most of it except the suction cup part is made out of anodized aluminum, so it gives you that premium feel, and adds to the car in my opinion. I mounted it on the left side of my windshield. Take a look in this image. You can barely see it peaking through at the frame area (side door).

Also got a 10 footer USB cable, and a 2A charger that I connected in the side box compartment, and this way when I'm on a long trip somewhere, I have waze running or google maps, and it is always charging faster than what the app and screen is using on my Galaxy S6. I routed the cable around the side box compartment under the driver seat and under my Weathertech mats (not seen in this image), and around the side door trim. The cable is completely hidden until it reaches the part where cell phone holder is.

Last edited by peti1212; 09-21-2015 at 07:14 PM.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:14 PM
3rd Gear

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
HDMI Screen Access - How To

ILX 2016 Premium model; iPhone 6, iOS 8.3

After some deep search (including this forum), I was able to display the iPhone screen on the dashboard screen (actually on both of them). Here is how to do it.

First, you need the following hardware - Apple Lightning Digital AV Adapter; standard HDMI cable (total cost about $60). You can connect this setup to the HDMI port located in the middle console before getting into the screens below. Make sure you first do this without any cover on your phone, because you want to establish a solid Lightning connection.

To get into the Diagnostics Menu (either with Accessory on or with ignition started) - press Back/Menu/Audio buttons together for 2 to 3 seconds.

This is the Top Diagnostics screen #1:

This is the Bottom Diagnostics screen #1:

Next you press and hold ENTER on the Command Wheel for about 2 seconds to get into the 2nd set of screens.

This is the Top Diagnostics screen #2:

You get to the highlighted Down Arrow by using the Command Wheel, then press ENTER (using Command Wheel) which will take you to screen #3.

As an FYI, this is the Bottom Diagnostics screen #2 (you don't need it to get to HDMI):

This is the Top Diagnostics screen #3 which is your HDMI destination:

Again, you highlight the HDMI Diag entry by using the Command Wheel. Now hit Enter on the Command Wheel and you get the next screen:

Notice that there is a [1] next to the +5Power Detect. This means that your phone is connected to the HDMI cable. If your phone is not connected to the HDMI cable at this point, the entry will be a [0].

Highlight the Smart Phone Audio by using the Command Wheel, then hit enter. If your phone is already connected, you will see your phone screen displayed on both monitors!

Here is a display of mine while I am taking a picture of the monitor - that's why you are seeing an infinity camera loop.

I will provide specific tests I have conducted in the next reply.
The following 2 users liked this post by ILX133:
Rae Rad (11-17-2015), SAJames (12-11-2016)
Old 11-16-2015, 08:35 PM
3rd Gear

HDMI Display Tests

OK - now that we have the iPhone screen displayed on both monitors, I presume you can display any app on your phone. So far, I have only tried Google Maps, because that was the main purpose for me to try and use this. When you rotate the phone, App rotates as well and displays perfectly on the screen - looks great!

In order for all this to function and be usable, you have to turn the car on and then get into the Diagnostics Menu. If you do this only when Accessory is on and THEN turn the car on, this will reset the entire thing and you have to do it all over again. So as a note, any time you turn the car off, it resets everything. Theoretically not useful on a regular basis, but if you know you'll be going for a long trip and you need a nice map display, this will work. Plus, this is just a test for now!

So, the car is on, your Google Map is displayed and you are getting out of your driveway - oops, no backup camera. You start to drive, directions are updating and Google is telling you where to go - but all of your touch screen access is gone - can't do anything. So quick test shows that you lose all of your touchscreen.

Although you are hearing Google directions, it comes out only from left front speakers - essentially it is kind of pretending that it only has a phone connection through your Blue Tooth - not through Blue Tooth Audio. And while you can play music via iPhone music player, the sound only comes through left front speakers. But it seems you can use the phone button on the control panel to operate a phone.

Bottom line - I need to do a lot more testing, but I have established the following by this test:

- Yes, it is possible to display the phone screen on both monitors WITHOUT using Acura App or any other specialized hardware.
- It is possible to utilize this while you are driving - however, it does disable many other things which I have not fully tested. Use at your own risk.
- Most likely there is a way to have full control of this via software, because you don't need any special hardware.

If anyone out there has an understanding of how to write phone apps, I am pretty sure it is possible to write an app that will provide for full phone screen display on the monitor without disabling other normal features.

Hope you can use this information to expand on my tests and come up with fully functional, non-hardware specific solution that you can share!

P.S. As a bonus, you can play around with turning ANC (Active Noise Cancellation) on/off in the 2nd Top screen.

Have fun!
The following 2 users liked this post by ILX133:
haidarh (01-08-2016), Rae Rad (11-17-2015)
Old 11-16-2015, 08:37 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Great hack, but bit complicated for daily use

but if you want to use your stereo normal, without trying to get into diagnostic menu, pre-order our interface

https://acurazine.com/forums/sponsor...-acura-937085/

Last edited by navtool.com; 11-16-2015 at 08:39 PM.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:47 PM
Racer

Finally!!! The truth is out!

Your officially my ILX hero
Old 11-16-2015, 10:05 PM
Racer

NavTool is definitely the way to go for ease and convenience. And has better HDMI audio support I'm sure.

But it's good the nitty-gritty technical controls are being discovered now. Time to go outside and tinker a bit ^_^
Old 11-17-2015, 01:03 PM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
So this is for the Premium model only?

No love for the Tech model?
Old 11-17-2015, 01:54 PM
Racer

ohh hmm... thats a good point.

But I don't see why it wouldn't work on the tech as well, or for the base model for that matter. Anyone have one to try it out with?
Old 11-17-2015, 08:53 PM
3rd Gear

From the Acura on-line specs, I think the only model that includes an HDMI port is Premium. It specifically states that other models, including Tech, have an Auxiliary input.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ILX133
From the Acura on-line specs, I think the only model that includes an HDMI port is Premium. It specifically states that other models, including Tech, have an Auxiliary input.
that's correct, and that's where we step in, our solution would work across all ILX models with 8 inch screen on top
Old 11-18-2015, 11:36 AM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Exactly, Tech Models do not have the HDMI port.

Looks like the only option for Tech owners is NavTool.
Old 11-18-2015, 11:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by iRaw
Exactly, Tech Models do not have the HDMI port.

Looks like the only option for Tech owners is NavTool.
If anyone is interested in HDMI input please pre-order here, NavTool Pre-order 2014+ Acura - AcuraZine Community
Old 11-19-2015, 10:12 PM
5th Gear

is this like VAGCOM for acura's? (sorry if it's dumb question)
Old 12-21-2015, 02:52 PM
Instructor

Hi Awesome job,
I tried on my Andriod Note and it works fine however still need the sound ? how can you activate the Audio.
Old 12-21-2015, 02:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by haidarh
Hi Awesome job,
I tried on my Andriod Note and it works fine however still need the sound ? how can you activate the Audio.
pre-order here full solution. its the only way to get working the right way NavTool Pre-order 2014+ Acura - AcuraZine Community
Old 12-31-2015, 03:47 PM
Rae Ray

Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts
If someone can find a way to trick the system into thinking the app is still running in the background it will be able to mirror the iphone with no limits. I search all over the internet trying to find a hack app that can fool the system into thinking the navi app is still playing.

Everyone try this... set up the navi app on the top screen. Once the navi is connected and displayed on the top screen double tap the home button on ya iphone and you should see a screen like so

The car is actually mirroring this screen and you will be able to swipe between previous apps used while the navi app is still playing in the background, the back-up camera still works and all radio functions works, problem is once another app is selected the navi app closes and the "unable to connect" prompt will display on the top screen.

If anyone know how to trick the phone to thinking the app is still running we are golden.

Last edited by Rae Rad; 12-31-2015 at 03:55 PM.
Old 12-31-2015, 04:03 PM
Racer

I've had it happen where I press the home button and get my apps screen to mirror. Even swipe a few pages and turning the phone but eventually it notices and blocks the mirror output.
Old 12-31-2015, 04:33 PM
Rae Ray

Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts
Not if you double tab the home screen button. It wont notice anything and wont block you out until a different app is selected i had this displayed on the screen for about 15- 20 mins while doing research.
Double tab the home button quickly and will see what i mean.

Last edited by Rae Rad; 12-31-2015 at 04:37 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2016 ILX HDMI Input Hack