Aftermarket Oil Drain Plug

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 05:43 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket Oil Drain Plug

I'm coming up on my next oil change (I do it myself), and was wondering if people have used some of the aftermarket oil drain plugs. They've got magnets to catch shards of metal and other crap in the oil, some come in different colors, etc.

I'm wondering if there is any reason people can think of not to use these and just stick with the OEM plug?

Also, I see some slightly cheaper from China (on ebay), I'm somewhat leery about putting cheap chinese parts in my car, last thing I need is a leak and an extra $8 is probably worth the peace of mind.

I was considering something like this: This
or:

This

One is a bit more expensive, not sure what the difference is though.
Any thoughts?
Old 02-26-2016, 08:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 204 Posts
In all honesty, aside from that first oil change you do after initial break-in, you shouldn't have enough metal shavings in your oil to even think about needing to catch them. It's the oil's job to suspend those microscopic particles and eventually deposit them into the filter. So, would a plug help extend the life of your engine? Absolutely not.

BUT, it may be a useful diagnosis tool if you check and record what's deposited on it each time you change your oil. A sudden uptick in material could be a sign of other problems in the engine.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:42 AM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
I know you all are going to shoot me for asking, but I have driven approx. 4K miles since my last oil change last March. I still have 30%-40% on the oil life monitor. Obviously, at this rate of driving 350 miles per month, it will take me another 3,4,or 5 months to get to the proper oil change interval on the MID. I am going to change it myself this time, since you all say how easy it is. So you know what I am going to ask. Wait for the MID, or change it after 12 months no matter what the life remaining % is? It is not a money thing, just a question of do I need to and why? Thanks in advance to all for being nice in your response.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:21 AM
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 421 Posts
^ It really doesn't matter when you change your oil or even if you change the oil at all... ever. Do whatever you want or however it suits you. Just make sure the oil is never low or below the low oil mark.

According to someone I know who practices this crazy method. 100,000+ miles and still going. Lol. He learn this through the internet. Apparently, there are peeps that swear by this crazy method.

As to never changing the oil... thats fine too. However, be sure to change the oil filter at the oil change recommend intervals (toping off the new filter with new oil). Again, never let the oil level run low or below the low mark.

Oil is so good now a days that I can't remember the last time I've heard of an engine failer due to the motor oil. Especially with the full synthetics.
Old 02-26-2016, 03:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 204 Posts
So there are a couple schools of thought on this. It is true that fully synthetic oil will almost never break down the way "dino" oil does. And indeed changing your filter regularly is an option.

BUT

All oils have various detergents and other additives that DO wear out, and other particulates are suspended in the oil that are not always caught by filters. There was a test done some years back, I think on an old Camaro with synthetic oil, and at around the 20k mile mark (with regular filter changes), there were some properties in the oil that were on starting to fall off.

Even if you do "just the filter" - that is no easy task on the RDX considering the filter placement. You're going to lose a lot of your oil in a messy way by just trying to change the filter...may as well spend the extra 10-15 bucks and replace all 5 quarts instead of 2-3.

Hues - the manual does say (or probably does say) to change it in a year if you don't see the MID reminder. Knowing I have synthetic oil in my car that, I'd probably just wait till the mileage triggers the reminder. A few more months won't hurt you.

Last edited by Tomtwtwtw; 02-26-2016 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-26-2016, 03:14 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by 01acls
^ It really doesn't matter when you change your oil or even if you change the oil at all... ever. Do whatever you want or however it suits you. Just make sure the oil is never low or below the low oil mark.

According to someone I know who practices this crazy method. 100,000+ miles and still going. Lol. He learn this through the internet. Apparently, there are peeps that swear by this crazy method.

As to never changing the oil... thats fine too. However, be sure to change the oil filter at the oil change recommend intervals (toping off the new filter with new oil). Again, never let the oil level run low or below the low mark.

Oil is so good now a days that I can't remember the last time I've heard of an engine failer due to the motor oil. Especially with the full synthetics.
Toyota engine oil sludging or gelling