DIY Heated Mirror and Power Folder Mirror Combo

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 10:39 AM
DawgWitDa1stGen98TL3.2

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Cool DIY Heated Mirror and Power Folder Mirror Combo

I was able to that the JDM and USDM Mirrors out of their housing exposing the motor inside. I've written a little about these in a Power Folding Mirror thread about the differences. I won't explain again due to hoping you would read that thread and that this pic provided will explain a little.
Power Folding Mirror has is one of accessories that has alway caught my attention with these 1st Gen TLs.

Well heres the start of the DIY
(Pics are in order from left to right and top to bottom)
* There are four screws that are under both JDM and USDM Mirrors; However, the JDM has two more screws that are near the center and a pain to get to. Be careful.
* The bottom left is a pic with the JDM mirror separated from the housing. I used a heat gun and carefully pry it out. The USDM is the same, except more of this black glue that is very tacky.
* The bottom right is a pic with side by side pic of the mirror separated from the housing.

* Mirror are the same size so fitting one into the other is not a problem. I had to use a Dremel to cut and grind our a hole in the JDM mirror housing in order to get the USDM mirror's heated wires thru.
* I poked a hole in the rubber tube to feed the wires along side the JDM wires to get them inside the door.
* Hopefully I've taken enough pics to show you what I mean
*And after you take your heat gun and heat the black mirror housing to get the mirror back in, you heat the back of the mirror to hopefully get the adhesive tacky to stick back on.
* Now we have heated mirrors combine with power folding mirrors.
* Last, after connecting the mirror to the car, take it to an auto audio shop with a relay and hopefully it works.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:39 AM
Str8 Home built

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Nice combo lol...... Have u put it on the car yet..????? And were are ur buttons to work at..????
Old 03-30-2013, 08:25 AM
DawgWitDa1stGen98TL3.2

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
I haven't put it on the car yet... I plugged the wiring onto the heated mirror and power mirror and they do work under the buttons provided with the car. I've gotten a button from the salvage yard that are for foglights that fit perfectly where the dumbie button under the 2 heated seat buttons and next to the E brake that I could use. Or... hook it up to my car alarm so they will power fold everytime I lock and unlock. Ive been so busy, I can only tackle one project at a time on the weekends. I have side markers and retrofitting projector lights next on the list... hopefully before KC, MO.
Old 06-15-2015, 12:02 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this sounds like great idea