So what ARE the best tires for the TLX?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2020, 09:30 AM
Racer

Received 218 Likes on 121 Posts
So what ARE the best tires for the TLX?

Very common gripe from the reviewers is that the TLX 2 comes with tires that don't do it justice. Would like to hear some thoughts on what kind of tires would do it justice. Any specific suggestions for a FWD A-Spec? All-seasons would be a must for me, personally.

Last edited by EE4Life; 12-06-2020 at 11:56 AM.
Old 12-06-2020, 12:15 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,436 Likes on 1,884 Posts
For the best handling, bar none it’s the Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+. These have more grip than a lot of summer tires, but the trade off is that tread life isn’t particularly good, and they’re just as bad as summer tires in the snow. For something more balanced, Continental DSW06. But since you have FWD, why is all seasons a must?
Old 12-06-2020, 01:39 PM
CPR
Burning Brakes

Received 277 Likes on 144 Posts
Michelin Primacy, all season, work for me; great tread life, & if you drive accordingly, they're great in the Rain, or light Snow, with SH-AWD
For NYC weather, they work; stop complaining, & enjoy!
The following users liked this post:
Tesla1856 (12-31-2020)
Old 12-06-2020, 08:42 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by fiatlux
For the best handling, bar none it’s the Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+. These have more grip than a lot of summer tires, but the trade off is that tread life isn’t particularly good, and they’re just as bad as summer tires in the snow. For something more balanced, Continental DSW06. But since you have FWD, why is all seasons a must?
Never had anything even approaching a performance car in the past. Tires were tires to me. Now seems to be more of a potential issue. My new TLX has all seasons on it, Turanza I believe. I am one of those Philistines who buys a car that looks cool, and doesn't give too much of a hang about handling, although I do appreciate quick acceleration. So to answer your question, I don't know, why are all seasons a must with a FWD?
Old 12-06-2020, 09:10 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Sorry, but, you are not even close to your statement about "being as bad as summer tires in the snow." Not hardly. I've been using this exact tire on my '19 MDX Advance and they
are amazing. And to prove to you even more....I have this SAME tire on my '19 Mustang GT with 480 hp! They have amazing grip, handling, ride comfort, etc. Love them
You can't even drive ANY summer tire safely at temps below 45 deg. So your statement is WAY off the mark. Night and day difference between a summer tire and the Mich. Just
a fact. I should know. I just proved with my 2 vehicles having them mounted. I know my cars...and tires. As far as tread life...much better than summer tires.
What ARE summer tires??? They are soft compound tires put on higher perf. cars/suvs for better traction...the compound is soft and THEY don't have great tread life. Just a known fact.
The Mich. P.S. AS3+ is a different animal with much better tread life.

Ford stops production of the GT500 Mustang during the cold months...WHY?....'cause the super soft compound
SUMMER tires are so bad in cold weather they can't even move them around ramps, load on to haulers, etc. So, they stopped shipping them when it's cold season.

Let's get the true and real facts out there for those that do not have the experience...in this case...that I have. I've owned over 60 vehicles and over 40 new veh. and I've had
many hp cars and
many SUVS. Tried many tires over the years. Had the Contis. OK...but, weak sidewalls...and they consistently rate below the Michelins. Facts. Been there...done that. Tried
and learned...trial and error. Good way to learn.
The following 4 users liked this post by Colorado Guy AF Ret.:
Jrvtecaccord (12-08-2020), mapleloaf (12-06-2020), Neoforever (12-08-2020), TooManyIDs (12-28-2020)
Old 12-06-2020, 09:17 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by Flapjackura
Never had anything even approaching a performance car in the past. Tires were tires to me. Now seems to be more of a potential issue. My new TLX has all seasons on it, Turanza I believe. I am one of those Philistines who buys a car that looks cool, and doesn't give too much of a hang about handling, although I do appreciate quick acceleration. So to answer your question, I don't know, why are all seasons a must with a FWD?
Quick answer is..what are the alternatives?? Certainly NOT Summer tires in cold weather temps below 45 deg. FACT. Tire mfg's and auto mfg's warn you.."DO NOT DRIVE VEHICLE WITH
SUMMER TIRES IN TEMPS BELOW 45 deg. Some idiots have tried it and it was like driving on ice when they were on dry roads...but, COLD roads. Many have wrecked their brand new
cars thinking they knew better. Like driving on a road covered with ball bearings. IF you are in really bad winter driving conditions, then dedicated snow tires on all 4 corners. Preferably
Blizaks. Praised by many over the years.
Old 12-06-2020, 09:19 PM
Advanced

Received 97 Likes on 32 Posts
if you are going to be driving in any snow in the winter you should at least have all season tires. Doesn’t matter if you have FWD, RWD or AWD. Summer tires will be terrible in snow.
Old 12-06-2020, 09:23 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by izzle22
if you are going to be driving in any snow in the winter you should at least have all season tires. Doesn’t matter if you have FWD, RWD or AWD. Summer tires will be terrible in snow.
It's NOT just SNOW for summer tires. Even on dry roads....45 deg or less in temp...summer tires are NOT to be driven. Period. It's just a known and proven fact. That's why
tire mfg's and veh. mfg's put warning labels on tire info and vehicle info...do not drive when outside temps are 45 deg or less. Many have wrecked thinking they could drive ok
if they drove...slow! Yeah right. Talk to the ones who ended up in the ditch..or wrapped around a tree. Plenty of them have done that.
Old 12-06-2020, 09:29 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
It's NOT just SNOW for summer tires. Even on dry roads....45 deg or less in temp...summer tires are NOT to be driven. Period. It's just a known and proven fact. That's why
tire mfg's and veh. mfg's put warning labels on tire info and vehicle info...do not drive when outside temps are 45 deg or less. Many have wrecked thinking they could drive ok
if they drove...slow! Yeah right. Talk to the ones who ended up in the ditch..or wrapped around a tree. Plenty of them have done that.
I’ve never had a problem with summer tires on dry roads no matter how cold. Even with RWD. I know I drove a RWD G35 with summer tires in 3 winters in Kansas City weather. No problems at all until it snowed. I drove on the highway at 75-80 in 20 degree temperatures. Never had any issues with traction. Known plenty of people with plenty of different cars on summer tires in the cold. No problems unless it snowed or iced.

All that being said the G35 was useless in ANY snow. Even a dusting. Just horrible. I decided to never again have a RWD as a daily driver in this climate.

Last edited by izzle22; 12-06-2020 at 09:43 PM.
Old 12-06-2020, 09:43 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

I’ve never had a problem with summer tires on dry roads no matter how cold. Even with RWD. I know I drove a RWD G35 with summer tires in 3 winters in Kansas City weather. No problems at all until it snowed. I drove on the highway at 75-80 in 20 degree temperatures. Never had any issues with traction. Known plenty of people with plenty of different cars on summer tires in the cold. No problems unless it snowed or iced.
I stand by my words. Ask tire manufacturers what they say about summer tires in temps below 45 deg. I KNOW what they'll say. Same for auto manufacturers. You are just dancing with
the devil when you drive summer tires in any weather. NOT just me stating these facts. Do what you want....but, I wrote what is the truth. Google it...write or ask Mich, Conti, ANY of them.
and come back to us what they tell you. Again...I KNOW what they will tell you. And it's tried and true. Google those that have crashed their new cars on cold dry road with summer tires.
And, they knew the "RULES" and tried to be careful. You are playing with fire. I've said my peace. I know what the right thing to do with these tires.
Old 12-06-2020, 09:52 PM
Advanced

I stand by my words. Ask tire manufacturers what they say about summer tires in temps below 45 deg. I KNOW what they'll say. Same for auto manufacturers. You are just dancing with
the devil when you drive summer tires in any weather. NOT just me stating these facts. Do what you want....but, I wrote what is the truth. Google it...write or ask Mich, Conti, ANY of them.
and come back to use what they tell you. Again...I KNOW what they will tell you. And it's tried and true. Google those that have crashed their new cars on cold dry road with summer tires.
And, they knew the "RULES" and tried to be careful. You are playing with fire. I've said my peace. I know what the right thing to do with these tires.
I don’t care what “they” say or google. I’ve driven with summer tires in cold weather for years. My experience. “Dancing with the devil” all winter long. I led him every morning and evening back and forth to work on the highway with no issues. Below freezing many many times. I’m sure the manufactures don’t recommend it. But I’m telling you I KNOW through experience summer tires were fine in the cold. Granted they weren’t super high performance tires but still summer tires.

I now have AWD with all season tires so it no longer matters. I don’t want to deal with snow and RWD or summer tires any more.
Old 12-06-2020, 10:03 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Summer tires in cold weather facts!!

Yes.it talks about summer perf. tires...BUT...pray tell are "summer tires?" Same issue....there is a
reason they are called..."summer tires." Not made...the rubber compound is not made or donducive
to cold weather or snow conditions. Again....FACTS.

Everyone should read and heed.

TIRE TECH: DON'T DRIVE SUMMER PERFORMANCE TIRES IN COLD TEMPERATURES

In anticipation of the next time Mother Nature extends her cold reach, drivers with vehicles equipped with summer performance tires need to know those tires are not designed for near- or below-freezing temperatures on clear roads, nor in slush, snow and ice.

When faced with near- and below-freezing temperatures, drivers should leave their summer performance tire-equipped vehicle at home and drive a vehicle equipped with all-season or winter tires.

Summer performance tires feature tread compounds engineered to provide traction in warm to hot ambient temperatures. They were never intended to experience near- and below-freezing temperatures, nor the wintry driving conditions that often accompany them.

As ambient temperatures get colder, typically in the 40-45° Fahrenheit range, summer performance tires lose a noticeable percentage of traction as their tread compound rubber properties change from a pliable elastic to inflexible plastic. The tire industry uses the term "glass transition" to describe the temperature where a summer performance tire's grip/slip performance changes dramatically. This means the summer performance tires that provide predictable traction in warm to hot conditions will be found to be very challenging to drive in cold to freezing temperatures. This is especially true when the tires first begin to be driven or if the driver aggressively applies gas pedal pressure with today's turbocharged fours or high-torque sixes and eights. Fortunately, glass transition is a reversible condition that allows the tires' normal traction to return as the ambient temperatures climb.

If ambient temperatures drop to near- or below-freezing, driving or rolling a vehicle equipped with summer performance tires risks the possibility of tread compound cracking. Tread compound cracking is a permanent condition that requires the tires to be replaced. The other condition that can be caused by running summer performance tires in cold temperatures is the possibility of chipping away the edges of the tread blocks.

Since both of these conditions only occur as the result of what's considered improper use or storage, they are not typically covered by the manufacturer's warranty.
Flapjackura (12-07-2020)
Old 12-06-2020, 10:20 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Summer tires...NOT for cold or winter..READ and LEARN

Read and learn!!!

The dangers of using summer tires in the winter

The seasons are changing, and winter is on the horizon. It's getting cold, and perhaps there's a bit of snow or ice on the road. You know you should, but changing the tires on your car can be a hassle. You're wondering whether you can leave the summer tires on your vehicle. The short answer is no. Using summer tires in winter conditions might be dangerous and risks damaging your tires.

Local weather conditions are a huge deciding factor for the choice of your tires. With only occasional bouts of freezing temperatures, all-season tires could be an option for mild winter conditions.

We recommend against using summer tires if there’s any snow, it’s icy, or the temperature is frequently freezing. Winter is the time to fit your car with winter or at least all-season tires.

Loss of traction and poor grip

Summer tires have lower rolling resistance than winter tires; this improves efficiency and handling while also reducing noise levels. The tread on these performance tires, however, performs poorly on ice and snow.

In winter weather, summer tires have poor acceleration. Winter tires or snow tires will outperform them on snowy roads. Furthermore, summer tires have low rolling resistance, resulting in long brake distances on ice or snow. A winter tire has deep tread, with sipes that dig into snow and grip onto ice, providing shorter braking times. By contrast, the compound of winter tires is much softer and less vulnerable to cold temperatures.

The rubber compound on summer tires is designed for warm weather. As the temperature drops, the rubber stiffens. Even if there is no snow or ice, the tire loses traction.

All-season tires by Continental, on the other hand, are equipped with tread and sipes similar to winter tires, so they are able to withstand mild wintry conditions. However, always remember that winter tires are specifically tailored to the relevant conditions.

Risk of damage due to cold temperatures

Even on dry roads without ice and snow, winter brings colder temperatures. Summer tires are not built for cold weather. The tire tread will stiffen. In addition to reducing traction, this poses a risk to the tire itself.

The tire loses its elasticity and may crack. There's a risk of chipping of the overly stiff thread block. Chipped and cracked tires are not safe to drive on and must be replaced.

Last edited by Colorado Guy AF Ret.; 12-06-2020 at 10:25 PM.
Flapjackura (12-07-2020)
Old 12-06-2020, 10:22 PM
Advanced

Yes.it talks about summer perf. tires...BUT...pray tell are "summer tires?" Same issue....there is a
reason they are called..."summer tires." Not made...the rubber compound is not made or donducive
to cold weather or snow conditions. Again....FACTS.

Everyone should read and heed.

TIRE TECH: DON'T DRIVE SUMMER PERFORMANCE TIRES IN COLD TEMPERATURES

In anticipation of the next time Mother Nature extends her cold reach, drivers with vehicles equipped with summer performance tires need to know those tires are not designed for near- or below-freezing temperatures on clear roads, nor in slush, snow and ice.

When faced with near- and below-freezing temperatures, drivers should leave their summer performance tire-equipped vehicle at home and drive a vehicle equipped with all-season or winter tires.

Summer performance tires feature tread compounds engineered to provide traction in warm to hot ambient temperatures. They were never intended to experience near- and below-freezing temperatures, nor the wintry driving conditions that often accompany them.

As ambient temperatures get colder, typically in the 40-45° Fahrenheit range, summer performance tires lose a noticeable percentage of traction as their tread compound rubber properties change from a pliable elastic to inflexible plastic. The tire industry uses the term "glass transition" to describe the temperature where a summer performance tire's grip/slip performance changes dramatically. This means the summer performance tires that provide predictable traction in warm to hot conditions will be found to be very challenging to drive in cold to freezing temperatures. This is especially true when the tires first begin to be driven or if the driver aggressively applies gas pedal pressure with today's turbocharged fours or high-torque sixes and eights. Fortunately, glass transition is a reversible condition that allows the tires' normal traction to return as the ambient temperatures climb.

If ambient temperatures drop to near- or below-freezing, driving or rolling a vehicle equipped with summer performance tires risks the possibility of tread compound cracking. Tread compound cracking is a permanent condition that requires the tires to be replaced. The other condition that can be caused by running summer performance tires in cold temperatures is the possibility of chipping away the edges of the tread blocks.

Since both of these conditions only occur as the result of what's considered improper use or storage, they are not typically covered by the manufacturer's warranty.
Great information... Yes I get and understand summer tires are made for the summer and perform best at above 45 degrees. I’m not arguing that at all. Still doesn’t change the FACT that I drove for 3 years in a RWD car on summer tires all winter long way below freezing temperatures with absolutely NO traction issues on dry pavement. You can post 30 articles and quote the tire god himself. I’m telling you I and many people across the country drive in below freezing weather on summer tires with no issues on dry pavement. Tons of people buy performance cars with summer tires and drive them all winter long in cold climates. These people don’t change their tires out in the winter. That’s a fact jack.
Old 12-06-2020, 10:39 PM
Safety Car

Sorry, but, you are not even close to your statement about "being as bad as summer tires in the snow." Not hardly. I've been using this exact tire on my '19 MDX Advance and they
are amazing. And to prove to you even more....I have this SAME tire on my '19 Mustang GT with 480 hp! They have amazing grip, handling, ride comfort, etc. Love them
You can't even drive ANY summer tire safely at temps below 45 deg. So your statement is WAY off the mark. Night and day difference between a summer tire and the Mich. Just
a fact. I should know. I just proved with my 2 vehicles having them mounted. I know my cars...and tires. As far as tread life...much better than summer tires.
What ARE summer tires??? They are soft compound tires put on higher perf. cars/suvs for better traction...the compound is soft and THEY don't have great tread life. Just a known fact.
The Mich. P.S. AS3+ is a different animal with much better tread life.

Ford stops production of the GT500 Mustang during the cold months...WHY?....'cause the super soft compound
SUMMER tires are so bad in cold weather they can't even move them around ramps, load on to haulers, etc. So, they stopped shipping them when it's cold season.

Let's get the true and real facts out there for those that do not have the experience...in this case...that I have. I've owned over 60 vehicles and over 40 new veh. and I've had
many hp cars and
many SUVS. Tried many tires over the years. Had the Contis. OK...but, weak sidewalls...and they consistently rate below the Michelins. Facts. Been there...done that. Tried
and learned...trial and error. Good way to learn.
Funny, I've had the A/S3+ on multiple cars, and from MY experience it was no bueno in snow. As for tread life, my last set I got 30K miles on it. Better than the 20K I got on 4S, but way off from what most people would expect from an all-season tire. If you feel comfortable driving it in snow, then good for you, but in MY experience they feel no better than summers in the snow. Very slippery and not a lot of grip.

As for the Continentals, the original DSW had soft tirewall complaints, but have you tried the DWS06? It's been much improved.

BTW, you "my experience" schtick just makes you sound like ass. I should know, I am one too .
Flapjackura (12-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 08:27 AM
Racer

Thank you all for your thoughts. Any specific recommendations for All Seasons? Sounds like Michelin could be the way to go when the time comes. My FWD A-Spec came with Turanza all-seasons. Winter is Coming here in Winterfell - oops - I mean Chicago - so I'll soon experience first-hand how those particular tires perform.
Old 12-07-2020, 08:43 AM
Advanced

Thank you all for your thoughts. Any specific recommendations for All Seasons? Sounds like Michelin could be the way to go when the time comes. My FWD A-Spec came with Turanza all-seasons. Winter is Coming here in Winterfell - oops - I mean Chicago - so I'll soon experience first-hand how those particular tires perform.
I have the Michelin Primacy all seasons on mine. I believe those are the tires on most of the review cars and what comes on the SH-AWD. These are the tires that the reviewers complain about not being sticky enough. I have been driving on them for 2 weeks now and I don't see them being horrible or great. Not sure how they perform in the snow yet so I can't comment on that. You may be okay with the Bridgestones that came on your car. Others may comment on those who have experience as I do not.
The following 2 users liked this post by izzle22:
CPR (12-07-2020), Flapjackura (12-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 09:22 AM
06 G35 6MT

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

All that being said the G35 was useless in ANY snow. Even a dusting. Just horrible. I decided to never again have a RWD as a daily driver in this climate.
I have a G35 coupe 6MT, live in Canada, when the roads are DRY, I have no issues, I've had the car for 15yrs and counting... That being said, with snow, they are useless so I've opted for using Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3's which to me, are the BEST non studded winters available, and for the other seasons I switch between what's the best performance deal at the moment. I've tried blizzaks on the G35 for the winter n they simply can't compare to the Nokian R3's.

So in the end of the day, just get a good set of performance tires, whatevers in your budget, and swap them out for Nokian R3's by no later then end of Oct. Spend a bit extra on a good set of winters, they really could save your life.

Last edited by Vicious Type S; 12-07-2020 at 09:26 AM.
Mart (10-07-2021)
Old 12-07-2020, 09:33 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Vicious Type S
I have a G35 coupe 6MT, live in Canada, when the roads are DRY, I have no issues, I've had the car for 15yrs and counting... That being said, with snow, they are useless so I've opted for using Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3's which to me, are the BEST non studded winters available, and for the other seasons I switch between what's the best performance deal at the moment. I've tried blizzaks on the G35 for the winter n they simply can't compare to the Nokian R3's.

So in the end of the day, just get a good set of performance tires, whatevers in your budget, and swap them out for Nokian R3's by no later then end of Oct. Spend a bit extra on a good set of winters, they really could save your life.
All season tires have been great for me on the last three FWD cars I've owned. No issues in the snow. Now I have AWD with all season tires. I refuse to have 2 sets of tires for a daily driver. AWD with all seasons should be good for most in most areas without the need for winter tires. Of course winter tires would be best. Just a pain to store and have switched out twice a year.
The following 2 users liked this post by izzle22:
CPR (12-07-2020), Flapjackura (12-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 09:45 AM
06 G35 6MT

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
All season tires have been great for me on the last three FWD cars I've owned. No issues in the snow. Now I have AWD with all season tires. I refuse to have 2 sets of tires for a daily driver. AWD with all seasons should be good for most in most areas without the need for winter tires. Of course winter tires would be best. Just a pain to store and have switched out twice a year.
Yea if you are on FWD or AWD, i agree, all seasons are fine, I was speaking more of the G35's RWD but that's not for this thread so my apologies. But if you are stuck with a RWD for a daily, swapping em out shouldn't take long at all, just have them on their own set of winter rims. But yes this is why I'm getting a AWD for my new daily n leaving the 6MT for a weekend car. Even with good winter tires, driving the G in the Canadian snow is tense and I'm so happy that this will be the last year I'll have to endure it.
Old 12-07-2020, 09:59 AM
Racer

I agree, for a daily driver I would never want to switch out my tires twice a year, either. Additionally, I reside in a condo with a first floor indoor heated garage, in which the condo association allows us basically only to park our car in our assigned space and absolutely nothing else. No storage of anything is allowed, much less a set of tires, and I have limited space in my storage locker and in my unit itself. Our association's rules are comically strict regarding our garage. To the point of I would not be surprised if they started forbidding less aesthetically pleasing vehicles in it. Which, if I had a say in it, would mean no Kia Soul's, and no Nissan Cubes or Jukes. LOL
The following 2 users liked this post by Flapjackura:
a35tl (12-07-2020), ELIN (12-08-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 10:01 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Vicious Type S
Yea if you are on FWD or AWD, i agree, all seasons are fine, I was speaking more of the G35's RWD but that's not for this thread so my apologies. But if you are stuck with a RWD for a daily, swapping em out shouldn't take long at all, just have them on their own set of winter rims. But yes this is why I'm getting a AWD for my new daily n leaving the 6MT for a weekend car. Even with good winter tires, driving the G in the Canadian snow is tense and I'm so happy that this will be the last year I'll have to endure it.
Yes for sure would want winter tires if I still had a RWD. Why I won't have another RWD in this climate again. I did have 2 sets of wheels and tires for the MINI Cooper back 3 cars ago and would put sticky summer tires on in April and switch out for the all seasons in October. It still got to be a pain storing and switching out every year.
Flapjackura (12-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 02:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
I feel your collective pain. Had it myself when I lived in Jersey. I run performance summers all year round on the cars, Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Will get the Pilot Sport 4S when they wear down. The 4X4's have Bridgestone Touring All Season SUV/Light Truck & BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 On/Off Road Severe Snow Service Rated.

There are only a few times a year & not every year that I need to use the Ranger for snow but even in the the sunny south you need to be prepared.

Ranger also goes off road during hunting season
Old 12-07-2020, 02:41 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Great information... Yes I get and understand summer tires are made for the summer and perform best at above 45 degrees. I’m not arguing that at all. Still doesn’t change the FACT that I drove for 3 years in a RWD car on summer tires all winter long way below freezing temperatures with absolutely NO traction issues on dry pavement. You can post 30 articles and quote the tire god himself. I’m telling you I and many people across the country drive in below freezing weather on summer tires with no issues on dry pavement. Tons of people buy performance cars with summer tires and drive them all winter long in cold climates. These people don’t change their tires out in the winter. That’s a fact jack.
Yes, it is FACTUAL INFORMATION...and IF anyone chooses to drive Summer tires in the snow and cold...they do so at their own peril and risk. Wife and kids in the vehicle? Shame on them
Just because you have done it...doesn't mean it's right. THAT IS A FACT....JACK!!! Keep doing it. I could care less. The "tire gods" who are right....will not watch over you.

And the Mich. on my Acuras with SH-Awd are amazing in snow and icy conditions. I know...I always find a deserted, selected road and experiment with the traction and stopping on snow and ice.
Always amazed at how well that system controls the car with those tires. It's just a....what is it?....FACT...JACK. Test and test more and one learns.

I'm experienced and not the ass...you are for sure. You don't care what science has proven...how summer tires react to cold weather etc....so, a person that ignores tried and true, tested science,
and still plays Russian roulette with lives at stake...well, they are not so wise...let's just say it that way. Oh, ok....in your case...YOUR WORDS....you ARE an ass. LOL!! Hope you live to my
age. Then you MAY learn more about what is the right thing to do when facts and science are there to guide. you. Again, I could care less that dumb people drive HP cars with summer tires in
the winter. Doesn't mean it's the SMART thing to do. Do some research. You can find MANY who thought the same and wrecked or totaled their cars. HP cars...Summer tires in the cold and snow.
Old 12-07-2020, 02:57 PM
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 106 Posts
The following 2 users liked this post by Carnage719:
ELIN (12-08-2020), izzle22 (12-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 03:09 PM
Advanced

Yes, it is FACTUAL INFORMATION...and IF anyone chooses to drive Summer tires in the snow and cold...they do so at their own peril and risk. Wife and kids in the vehicle? Shame on them
Just because you have done it...doesn't mean it's right. THAT IS A FACT....JACK!!! Keep doing it. I could care less. The "tire gods" who are right....will not watch over you.

And the Mich. on my Acuras with SH-Awd are amazing in snow and icy conditions. I know...I always find a deserted, selected road and experiment with the traction and stopping on snow and ice.
Always amazed at how well that system controls the car with those tires. It's just a....what is it?....FACT...JACK. Test and test more and one learns.

I'm experienced and not the ass...you are for sure. You don't care what science has proven...how summer tires react to cold weather etc....so, a person that ignores tried and true, tested science,
and still plays Russian roulette with lives at stake...well, they are not so wise...let's just say it that way. Oh, ok....in your case...YOUR WORDS....you ARE an ass. LOL!! Hope you live to my
age. Then you MAY learn more about what is the right thing to do when facts and science are there to guide. you. Again, I could care less that dumb people drive HP cars with summer tires in
the winter. Doesn't mean it's the SMART thing to do. Do some research. You can find MANY who thought the same and wrecked or totaled their cars. HP cars...Summer tires in the cold and snow.
Settle down Francis. If you read my replies at all you would see I now have an AWD with all season tires. No need to keep telling me how stupid I am, how I can keep on "dancing with the devil" and "playing Russian roulette", bla, bla, bla. The G35 I drove with summer tires in the cold was many many cars ago and many years ago. Absolutely no traction issues! ZERO! You said about 8 posts back that you said "your peace"? But you keep on coming back with all this information about summer tires in the cold. I already know and have known for years that all season tires are better than summer tires in the winter. I never said you were lying, I never said the science isn't true. I'm just telling you that I drove on summer tires in well below freezing temperatures many times with no traction issues on dry pavement. Why does that bother you so much? I put no ones life at risk as I never lost grip not even once. I'm experienced as well. I've driven MANY cars in ALL climates for almost 40 years. I've lived in the Northeast, the South and the Midwest I've had 3 motorcycles and driven them in torrential downpours and all kinds heavy wind conditions many times for many many years. You're the one that keeps coming back on your soap box with these accusations sounding like an ass and telling me to get off your lawn.
Old 12-07-2020, 03:36 PM
Safety Car

Settle down Francis. If you read my replies at all you would see I now have an AWD with all season tires. No need to keep telling me how stupid I am, how I can keep on "dancing with the devil" and "playing Russian roulette", bla, bla, bla. The G35 I drove with summer tires in the cold was many many cars ago and many years ago. Absolutely no traction issues! ZERO! You said about 8 posts back that you said "your peace"? But you keep on coming back with all this information about summer tires in the cold. I already know and have known for years that all season tires are better than summer tires in the winter. I never said you were lying, I never said the science isn't true. I'm just telling you that I drove on summer tires in well below freezing temperatures many times with no traction issues on dry pavement. Why does that bother you so much? I put no ones life at risk as I never lost grip not even once. I'm experienced as well. I've driven MANY cars in ALL climates for almost 40 years. I've lived in the Northeast, the South and the Midwest I've had 3 motorcycles and driven them in torrential downpours and all kinds heavy wind conditions many times for many many years. You're the one that keeps coming back on your soap box with these accusations sounding like an ass and telling me to get off your lawn.
Now, let's be fair, that kind of matter-of-fact mannerism is the kind of stuff they teach you in the Chair Force, and old habits die hard .
izzle22 (12-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 04:10 PM
Racer

Now, let's be fair, that kind of matter-of-fact mannerism is the kind of stuff they teach you in the Chair Force, and old habits die hard .
Have you served? As a USAF Vet, let's not stereotype. Military service may elevate someone's inherent, strict disciplinary behavior, but it doesn't make all military members disciplinarians.
BEAR-AvHistory (12-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 04:41 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Carnage719
Have you served? As a USAF Vet, let's not stereotype. Military service may elevate someone's inherent, strict disciplinary behavior, but it doesn't make all military members disciplinarians.
Obviously what I say is in jest and in good fun. We all know that the USAF doesn't teach you how to be an ass; it just teaches you how to comfortably sit on it .
Old 12-07-2020, 04:46 PM
Racer

Obviously what I say is in jest and in good fun. We all know that the USAF doesn't teach you how to be an ass; it just teaches you how to comfortably sit on it .
All in jest, if you served, you would be a Marine because you napalm everything and everyone.

Last edited by Carnage719; 12-07-2020 at 04:49 PM.
Neoforever (12-08-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 05:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by Carnage719
Agree as a honorably discharged USA E5 can relate to being very much a non disciplinarian. On to summers. Practical experience. Yes summer performance will degrade as the temperatures drop. That said with long term use been in the Carolina's since 1992 with temps down in the 20's you will not kill yourself driving on them with no snow on the ground. Put a little snow down & they can't get you out of the driveway.

Most summer tires are 300 or more treadware. That is a pretty robust tire. Most warnings are for cracking damage at temps below 20*F. The COBRA has 100 treadware road course tires & below 40*F they start to get slippery if you are aggressive with them. Drive summer tires in the cold on dry as you would drive a normal tire on wet & there are no issues. Have never had a tire crack. I would expect that near 50% of the performance sedans delivered here are on on standard equipment summer tires.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 12-07-2020 at 05:45 PM.
izzle22 (12-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 07:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,013 Likes on 1,432 Posts
Some summer tires will crack if driven in temps below 40F....

Best all seasons for the TLX? It comes down to how much snow and how much performance you want to deal with. More snow performance means less dry/wet.

Best right now: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...t+All+Season+4
Colorado Guy AF Ret. (12-09-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 07:50 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by csmeance

Best all seasons for the TLX? It comes down to how much snow and how much performance you want to deal with. More snow performance means less dry/wet.

Not a good link.
Old 12-07-2020, 09:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts
Only while driven or also while sitting in cold garage over-night?

Do you know which ones are have a better link to a list?
Old 12-08-2020, 02:32 AM
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Doesn't seem like the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 come in a 255/40/19.
Old 12-09-2020, 07:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,013 Likes on 1,432 Posts
Originally Posted by Tesla1856
Only while driven or also while sitting in cold garage over-night?

Do you know which ones are have a better link to a list?
Summer tires if subjected to near freezing temps need to warm up to at least 40F for 24hrs before moving/rolling the tire otherwise it will crack as the rubber becomes very stiff at cold temps. I wouldn't drive or move the car with summer tires in under 40F conditions.

Here's a list for Ultra High Performance All-Season Tires. The jack of all, master of none!

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surve...jsp?type=UHPAS

Colorado Guy AF Ret. (12-09-2020)
Old 12-09-2020, 09:53 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

So, I guess when I was in Vietnam I was sitting on my ass?? Not hardly. I was all over SE Asia...and always on the move or in the air.....yes, in the air I was sitting on my
behind, but, not always "happy" about it, since we were getting shot at most of the time. When a round comes through your cargo area...you move your ass!!! Just sayin!!

Did you serve? If not then you don't know much about any of it. And esp. when one served during war time. Obviously, as noted above...I am a Vietnam Vet. Respect that or not, I could care less. Amazing when the Moderator states what I have been trying to teach here...you become.."somewhat" compliant....after the fact...saying..."oh, in jest,
and in good fun." I wasn't always laughing. Nothing funny about war. Or a smart ass.

Last edited by Colorado Guy AF Ret.; 12-09-2020 at 10:00 PM.
Flapjackura (12-10-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 12:31 AM
Safety Car

So, I guess when I was in Vietnam I was sitting on my ass?? Not hardly. I was all over SE Asia...and always on the move or in the air.....yes, in the air I was sitting on my
behind, but, not always "happy" about it, since we were getting shot at most of the time. When a round comes through your cargo area...you move your ass!!! Just sayin!!

Did you serve? If not then you don't know much about any of it. And esp. when one served during war time. Obviously, as noted above...I am a Vietnam Vet. Respect that or not, I could care less. Amazing when the Moderator states what I have been trying to teach here...you become.."somewhat" compliant....after the fact...saying..."oh, in jest,
and in good fun." I wasn't always laughing. Nothing funny about war. Or a smart ass.
You're really not going to like this video then:

Come on, it's all in good funny. Sorry if you felt it was offensive or rude.
Old 12-10-2020, 08:19 AM
Racer

Thank you for your service, Colorado Guy.
Colorado Guy AF Ret. (12-10-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 12:32 PM
Racer

You're really not going to like this video then:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp6dwIplkWs

Come on, it's all in good funny. Sorry if you felt it was offensive or rude.
Funny, but no more accurate than this:
Link doesn't work for some reason, so copy and paste.

Last edited by Carnage719; 12-10-2020 at 12:35 PM.

Quick Reply: So what ARE the best tires for the TLX?