Wireless Charger In 2021 TLX Does Not Work With iPhone 12

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2021, 07:38 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wireless Charger In 2021 TLX Does Not Work With iPhone 12

FYI, the latest iPhone 12 is not compatible with wireless charger. So no wireless CarPlay and no wireless charger
Old 01-26-2021, 07:11 AM
Drifting

Received 1,246 Likes on 904 Posts
Originally Posted by Chix
FYI, the latest iPhone 12 is not compatible with wireless charger. So no wireless CarPlay and no wireless charger
There's an on/off button for the charger function of the wireless charging pad. Did you make sure it was on? I think the light turns green.
Old 01-26-2021, 08:34 AM
Cruisin'

Yes! New iPhone 12’s are not compatible. Period. Previous iPhone generations work.
Old 01-26-2021, 08:56 AM
Drifting

Yes! New iPhone 12’s are not compatible. Period. Previous iPhone generations work.
Strange. I have an XS that works fine on wireless pads at home and in the TLX.

Have you updated your car's firmware since you've had the car? A new one just rolled out days ago.

This might be a non-issue if you're using CarPlay and "allow" your iPhone to charge over USB.
Old 01-26-2021, 11:09 AM
Advanced

Received 97 Likes on 32 Posts
I have a new iPhone 12Pro and works fine with wireless charging.
The following users liked this post:
ELIN (01-26-2021)
Old 01-26-2021, 11:39 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by ELIN
Strange. I have an XS that works fine on wireless pads at home and in the TLX.

Have you updated your car's firmware since you've had the car? A new one just rolled out days ago.

This might be a non-issue if you're using CarPlay and "allow" your iPhone to charge over USB.
My older XS charges on the 2021 TLX wireless. It’s the iPhone 12 Pro Max that is not compatible. Yes, latest firmware on the phone and car too.
Old 01-26-2021, 11:51 AM
10th Gear

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
I have the iPhone 12 Pro Max. Charges just fine on the wireless pad.
Old 01-26-2021, 11:57 AM
Advanced

Received 97 Likes on 32 Posts
My older XS charges on the 2021 TLX wireless. It’s the iPhone 12 Pro Max that is not compatible. Yes, latest firmware on the phone and car too.
It may be where your phone is on the pad. The guy in this review talks about his 12Pro max moving and it stopped charging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvXA...ature=youtu.be
Old 01-26-2021, 06:52 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by izzle22
It may be where your phone is on the pad. The guy in this review talks about his 12Pro max moving and it stopped charging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvXA...ature=youtu.be
Oh, trust me, I have moved it all around the pad. It does not charge anywhere. It’s a known compatibility issue with the pad. I am forced to use USB.
Old 11-08-2021, 09:40 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just bought a 2021 tlx - type s and was sad that the charging pad function was not great with my iPhone 13. I’m sure it’s similar wit the 12. Has anyone considered that it could not be getting full contact with the pad because of how big the cameras on the phone are and how much they stick out? Has anyone tried a fully flat MagSafe case?
Old 11-09-2021, 07:22 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by nightkidTLS
I just bought a 2021 tlx - type s and was sad that the charging pad function was not great with my iPhone 13. I’m sure it’s similar wit the 12. Has anyone considered that it could not be getting full contact with the pad because of how big the cameras on the phone are and how much they stick out? Has anyone tried a fully flat MagSafe case?
This is a known issue. There is no fix the at the moment. Lots of threads on this already (impacting Magsafe phones since iPhone 12).
Old 11-09-2021, 08:40 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Chix, I have an iPhone 12 Pro-I thought the same thing. But in playing around with it, I found that if you place the phone in the middle of the charger (and not against the edge of the charger area, it will work. I've even switched the phone so it faces backwards and it worked!
Old 11-10-2021, 04:39 AM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
I’m with Chix, I’ve moved my 12 mini all over the pad, no go.
Old 11-11-2021, 11:41 AM
10th Gear

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Try this!!

So I have an iPhone 11 Pro and have had no issues. Apparently the problem is with the new magnet connectors on the back of the iPhone 12 & 13’s.

I was just reading on a Reddit Acura thread that if you turn off optimized changing (it’s on by default) that it will begin charging with no problems on iPhone 12’s and up. Many users in that thread said it began working again.
The following 2 users liked this post by ApexBlue21’:
ELIN (11-11-2021), oldsnwbrdr (11-13-2021)
Old 11-13-2021, 03:02 PM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
That worked, thank you!!
Old 11-16-2021, 12:47 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 539 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by ApexBlue21’
So I have an iPhone 11 Pro and have had no issues. Apparently the problem is with the new magnet connectors on the back of the iPhone 12 & 13’s.

I was just reading on a Reddit Acura thread that if you turn off optimized changing (it’s on by default) that it will begin charging with no problems on iPhone 12’s and up. Many users in that thread said it began working again.
Thank you for the info!

I am always plugged in for CarPlay but it’s good to know in the off chance I’m not. 😎
Old 11-16-2021, 05:52 AM
CPR
Burning Brakes

Received 277 Likes on 144 Posts
Tried it; no luck!
Old 11-26-2021, 07:55 AM
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ApexBlue21’

I turned off Optimized Charging on my iPhone 12 Pro Max and it still doesn’t work. It comes on when I first lay it on the mat and starts charging, but stops charging after a few seconds, and no, even if the car isn’t moving and there are no vibrations, the phone stops charging.
CPR (11-28-2021)
Old 05-25-2022, 04:20 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by edison9114
I turned off Optimized Charging on my iPhone 12 Pro Max and it still doesn’t work. It comes on when I first lay it on the mat and starts charging, but stops charging after a few seconds, and no, even if the car isn’t moving and there are no vibrations, the phone stops charging.
This is the case here too on my iPhone 13 Pro. The charging starts but quickly stops and the green/yellow lights on the pad continuously blink.

I bought an adapter for wireless CarPlay and love it but the fact that the pad fails to charge my phone at all means I am going to return the adapter. It’s useless to me if I can’t charge my phone while driving.

Edit: Spoke with my friend at Acura. He said this is a known issue and it’s because of where Apple placed their charging coils. Unfortunately, the only fix would be if Apple moved it on their next phones. Acura used the quality of pads you’d find at Five Below. 🤣 Oh well, guess I’ll stick to wired.

Last edited by KrylonBlue; 05-25-2022 at 04:46 PM.
ELIN (05-25-2022)
Old 05-29-2022, 06:29 PM
Cruisin'

I just don’t understand why Apple won’t fix this on their iOS 🤬
Old 05-30-2022, 02:36 PM
AZ Community Team

I just don’t understand why Apple won’t fix this on their iOS 🤬
Its not an iOS problem.

Each phone has their charging coil located in a certain spot within their shell. Acura used a very poorly designed pad that hasn’t met specifications for iPhones in a few years now. I have plenty of Qi chargers around my house that work perfectly fine. The only possible fix would be for Acura to issue a fix by replacing the wireless pads with one that has several charging coils so that placement can be met. As it stands this is squarely on Acura.
ELIN (05-30-2022)
Old 05-30-2022, 03:26 PM
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by KrylonBlue
Its not an iOS problem.

Each phone has their charging coil located in a certain spot within their shell. Acura used a very poorly designed pad that hasn’t met specifications for iPhones in a few years now. I have plenty of Qi chargers around my house that work perfectly fine. The only possible fix would be for Acura to issue a fix by replacing the wireless pads with one that has several charging coils so that placement can be met. As it stands this is squarely on Acura.
Its usually not as simple as "Its squarely on Acura". Much depends on WHEN the design parameters for the car's systems are locked down... and what was known at that time. This "lock down" happens several months before production of the actual model is even commenced. This is to allow for integration testing as well as ramping up the supply chain (procurement, distribution, stocking, etc, etc) of the components.

As we're all painfully aware the electronic/cellphone is constantly (and quickly) evolving. What is known at the time of design/specification may be obsolete for some applications at the time the new cars are coming off the line. This can be exacerbated by the lack of industry specs and/or even slight differences in technologies employed by android/i-phone designs. Designing applications ahead of the technology is a little like herding kittens. You hope that you get it right... until something unanticipated changes.

Sometimes the "leading edge" morphs into the "bleeding edge"
Old 05-30-2022, 03:59 PM
Cruisin'

Please help me understand why Acura won’t fix this if it’s on them?
Old 05-30-2022, 05:28 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Jim2301
Its usually not as simple as "Its squarely on Acura". Much depends on WHEN the design parameters for the car's systems are locked down... and what was known at that time. This "lock down" happens several months before production of the actual model is even commenced. This is to allow for integration testing as well as ramping up the supply chain (procurement, distribution, stocking, etc, etc) of the components.

As we're all painfully aware the electronic/cellphone is constantly (and quickly) evolving. What is known at the time of design/specification may be obsolete for some applications at the time the new cars are coming off the line. This can be exacerbated by the lack of industry specs and/or even slight differences in technologies employed by android/i-phone designs. Designing applications ahead of the technology is a little like herding kittens. You hope that you get it right... until something unanticipated changes.

Sometimes the "leading edge" morphs into the "bleeding edge"
I get that. But the iPhone 12 was out prior to the next TLX and also has issues on the new MDX also as far as I’m aware. Acura should have an understanding that not all phones have the coils in the same spot and a charging pad needs to have it placed in a neutral area so all phones can work with it. I’ve seen some home Qi chargers that use as many as 3 coils to ensure all phones work.

My main issue is that Qi isn’t new technology. The necessities of the pad positioning has always been critical and every phone should work on this. The way Acura built the system is very nice but with the enclosure it’s crucial that the coil(s) are placed in a spot that every phone can use.

Last edited by KrylonBlue; 05-30-2022 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-31-2022, 04:07 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,146 Likes on 818 Posts
Please help me understand why Acura won’t fix this if it’s on them?
Changes take time and resources. There is always a long list of (big and small) problems waiting in priority to be fix for every products.

Software fixes may come out sooner and more often than hardware fixes.

Unless the problem(s) is safety related or is a deal breaker, otherwise hardware fixes, if available, will only be released in the Mid Model Cycle (MMC) refresh releases.
Jim2301 (05-31-2022)
Old 06-01-2022, 12:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Perhaps the real issues is the rapid changes in cell phones that provide minimal benefits and yet create these types of issues. They rely on people wanting the newest, that isn't always the greatest or compatible. How is Acura or indeed many other manufacturers supposed to be fully responsible under those conditions. I'm more than happy with my IPhone 11 and deliberately avoid any needless upgrades, for the reasons hashed out on this forum.
Old 10-21-2022, 03:44 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by KrylonBlue
I get that. But the iPhone 12 was out prior to the next TLX and also has issues on the new MDX also as far as I’m aware. Acura should have an understanding that not all phones have the coils in the same spot and a charging pad needs to have it placed in a neutral area so all phones can work with it. I’ve seen some home Qi chargers that use as many as 3 coils to ensure all phones work.

My main issue is that Qi isn’t new technology. The necessities of the pad positioning has always been critical and every phone should work on this. The way Acura built the system is very nice but with the enclosure it’s crucial that the coil(s) are placed in a spot that every phone can use.
I could get my iPhone 12 Pro and even my newer 14 Pro to charge with VERY precise placement of the phone. It was tricky and a pain in the butt for sure, but it could work.
Then I exchanged the iPhone 14 Pro for the larger Max size. Game over! It doesn’t even come close to aligning with the car charger. So I’m back to old school wire charging. Just as well, as the useless 2021 TLX doesn’t even have Bluetooth Apple Car Play. Holy crap Acura….keep up with the times!!
HTX2022Aspec (10-21-2022)
Old 10-21-2022, 08:14 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Hihopes
I could get my iPhone 12 Pro and even my newer 14 Pro to charge with VERY precise placement of the phone. It was tricky and a pain in the butt for sure, but it could work.
Then I exchanged the iPhone 14 Pro for the larger Max size. Game over! It doesn’t even come close to aligning with the car charger. So I’m back to old school wire charging. Just as well, as the useless 2021 TLX doesn’t even have Bluetooth Apple Car Play. Holy crap Acura….keep up with the times!!
I have no such issues in my brand new X3 w/wireless CP! No more rebooting the car to get CP to work for me!
Old 10-21-2022, 08:54 AM
Intermediate

I have no such issues in my brand new X3 w/wireless CP! No more rebooting the car to get CP to work for me!
Sorry, what is that?
Old 10-21-2022, 09:01 AM
Drifting

Sorry, what is that?
What is what?

If you're talking about the rebooting, often my CarPlay would not be recognized when connecting the USB cable to the TLX. This often happened when you didn't allow the infotainment to properly boot up from a "cold boot" and drove off. To rectify this, you would put the car in Park, shut off the ignition, and open the driver side door to clear the system (I did this a handful of times while stopped at a red light). Restarting the car and allowing the system to fully boot before connecting the wire will then allow CarPlay to work.

To avoid this altogether, always let the infotainment fully boot up before connecting the wire (this includes backing out of a spot that engages the backup camera, like a garage).
Old 10-21-2022, 09:04 AM
Intermediate

What is what?

If you're talking about the rebooting, often my CarPlay would not be recognized when connecting the USB cable to the TLX. This often happened when you didn't allow the infotainment to properly boot up from a "cold boot" and drove off. To rectify this, you would put the car in Park, shut off the ignition, and open the driver side door to clear the system (I did this a handful of times while stopped at a red light). Restarting the car and allowing the system to fully boot before connecting the wire will then allow CarPlay to work.

To avoid this altogether, always let the infotainment fully boot up before connecting the wire (this includes backing out of a spot that engages the backup camera, like a garage).

not sure where rebooting came from. I was posting about the latest iPhones and their inability to line up with the TLX charging pads. The worst being the 14 Pro Max.
Also that the 2021 TLX does not have Bluetooth capability for CarPlay
Old 10-21-2022, 09:09 AM
Drifting

not sure where rebooting came from. I was posting about the latest iPhones and their inability to line up with the TLX charging pads. The worst being the 14 Pro Max.
Also that the 2021 TLX does not have Bluetooth capability for CarPlay
In my original post, I was basically agreeing with you that Acura should have put wireless CP in the latest gen TLX. Now that I have it on my X3, I can clearly see how stupid easy it is!
Old 10-21-2022, 09:56 AM
Intermediate

In my original post, I was basically agreeing with you that Acura should have put wireless CP in the latest gen TLX. Now that I have it on my X3, I can clearly see how stupid easy it is!
oh the charge pad is there, it just can’t line up with the spot in the phone so it’s totally useless now.
Old 10-21-2022, 10:01 AM
Drifting

oh the charge pad is there, it just can’t line up with the spot in the phone so it’s totally useless now.
I never used the wireless charging pad because it was always connected to a cable for CarPlay. Kinda pointless to have a wireless charging pad and not have wireless CarPlay/Android Auto!

Note that all my prior mentions of CP=CarPlay.
Old 10-21-2022, 10:34 AM
Intermediate

I never used the wireless charging pad because it was always connected to a cable for CarPlay. Kinda pointless to have a wireless charging pad and not have wireless CarPlay/Android Auto!

Note that all my prior mentions of CP=CarPlay.
CP=CarPlay, ok I got it. Thanks
Old 03-07-2023, 09:14 AM
2nd Gear

Angry 2023 Integra same issue Wireless Charger NG

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Changes take time and resources. There is always a long list of (big and small) problems waiting in priority to be fix for every products.

Software fixes may come out sooner and more often than hardware fixes.

Unless the problem(s) is safety related or is a deal breaker, otherwise hardware fixes, if available, will only be released in the Mid Model Cycle (MMC) refresh releases.
Okay if this logic holds for Acura then one might expect 2023 Integra with wireless charger and wireless carplay to be top priority to have a hardware or software fix for the wireless charge on current iPhones. As new owner of the Integra I can report this is not fixed and BS that an advertised feature is not functional after 5min of charging. It is a fail by Acura and hope that they and provide a resolution seeing this was a KNOWN issue from previous generation Acura and could / should have been fixed before this MMC of Integra.
Hihopes (03-07-2023)
Old 03-07-2023, 10:59 AM
Professional Sh1tposter

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts
I’m like 100% sure it’s hardware and not software so wireless charging won’t be fixed. Same goes for wireless CarPlay.
Old 03-07-2023, 11:45 AM
Intermediate

When I traded in my dream car (2019 Mustang GT 5.0) I thought I was safely moving to a vehicle that would be top shelf in all aspects. After all this is supposed to be a cut above Honda, the best of the best “Japanese” car.
All i can say now is I hope at least the engine and drivetrain are flawless for years to come, because the bells and whistle’s sure as hell aren’t.
I sort of regret not looking at Genesis, I hear they got it right. I had a Sonata for 11 years, never gave me grief. The things which were supposed to work, worked.
Old 03-07-2023, 12:14 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Cobra93_ASpec
Okay if this logic holds for Acura then one might expect 2023 Integra with wireless charger and wireless carplay to be top priority to have a hardware or software fix for the wireless charge on current iPhones. As new owner of the Integra I can report this is not fixed and BS that an advertised feature is not functional after 5min of charging. It is a fail by Acura and hope that they and provide a resolution seeing this was a KNOWN issue from previous generation Acura and could / should have been fixed before this MMC of Integra.
Integra just came out and is not an MMC. I don't expect the MMC for Integra to hit any earlier than the '26 MY.

Very sad that the charging pads have not improved in newer models.
Old 03-07-2023, 12:15 PM
Drifting

When I traded in my dream car (2019 Mustang GT 5.0) I thought I was safely moving to a vehicle that would be top shelf in all aspects. After all this is supposed to be a cut above Honda, the best of the best “Japanese” car.
All i can say now is I hope at least the engine and drivetrain are flawless for years to come, because the bells and whistle’s sure as hell aren’t.
I sort of regret not looking at Genesis, I hear they got it right. I had a Sonata for 11 years, never gave me grief. The things which were supposed to work, worked.
Hope the charger is the least of your worries.

I had more serious ones that had me change out of the TLX w/a full year left on the lease.

Quick Reply: Wireless Charger In 2021 TLX Does Not Work With iPhone 12