Installing amp

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2024, 08:05 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Installing amp

I am planning to add a small sub and an amp, but wasn't sure how to run the cable. Do I run straight from the battery in the trunk just like any other cars? First time having a car with a battery in the trunk so not sure what I should do.
Old 05-25-2024, 12:09 AM
Instructor

Received 336 Likes on 118 Posts
You run it straight from the battery like any other install. Hard part is ideally you want to tap the pre factory amp lines so you have to tear down to the cars factory amplifier under the center console.
Old 05-25-2024, 03:33 PM
Racer

Thanks DubPk. For the line, I was thinking of disconnecting of two subs in the back ( I think they're sub?) and use of of those line connecting to my LOC device. I did this on the first gen, worked pretty well so planning to keep it simple as well.
Old 05-30-2024, 03:33 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by noclue02
Thanks DubPk. For the line, I was thinking of disconnecting of two subs in the back ( I think they're sub?) and use of of those line connecting to my LOC device. I did this on the first gen, worked pretty well so planning to keep it simple as well.
Will work but you're going to lose a lot of frequencies that the stock amp doesn't send to protect those stock subs. Personally I'd highly recommend getting some help from a shop to tap into the pre-amp lines if you're worried about doing it yourself, its one of those things that if you're going to do it you may as well do it right! I had mine done professionally pre-amp and the sound is incredible and really elevates and compliments the stock system (my stock subs still hooked up) well.
Old 06-05-2024, 01:14 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by DubPK
Will work but you're going to lose a lot of frequencies that the stock amp doesn't send to protect those stock subs. Personally I'd highly recommend getting some help from a shop to tap into the pre-amp lines if you're worried about doing it yourself, its one of those things that if you're going to do it you may as well do it right! I had mine done professionally pre-amp and the sound is incredible and really elevates and compliments the stock system (my stock subs still hooked up) well.
Thanks DubPK. You mentioned that the factory amp is behind the center console? I will see if I can find some instructions to open it up. If im able to tap into the pre amp cable, how do I hook up those cables to the amp? Do I still use the LOC or need one of those line to rca so I can plug into the pre amp slot on the amp? Not sure if you know what I mean lol. If anything, I can go to a pro shop and have them do it but I like to do it myself so I can learn as well.
Old 06-09-2024, 12:17 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by noclue02
Thanks DubPK. You mentioned that the factory amp is behind the center console? I will see if I can find some instructions to open it up. If im able to tap into the pre amp cable, how do I hook up those cables to the amp? Do I still use the LOC or need one of those line to rca so I can plug into the pre amp slot on the amp? Not sure if you know what I mean lol. If anything, I can go to a pro shop and have them do it but I like to do it myself so I can learn as well.
Yeah my understanding is the factory amp is under the center console, since I had it done professionally I can't speak too precisely about it but I'm sure it's available online somewhere if you look up how to replace the factory amp.

You still need a LOC, the difference is instead of tapping into the existing sub lines, which the stock amp is controlling frequencies for, you're tapping into the audio before the stock amplifier does anything with the signal to get the widest range to the LOC and then the AMP. I'd recommend a quality LOC to like the LC2i as it can correct for the bass roll off that happens pre-amp, bass volume stops increasing at a certain point to protect the entire system and the LC2I can be tuned to correct for this.

I think it'd definitely be worth having a shop do at least some of it if you're not confident or give you advice buuut I'm sure there are wiring diagrams and instructions online somewhere.
Old 06-14-2024, 12:00 AM
Racer

Thanks for the tip. I have the lc2i from the 1st gen tlx that I will be using on the new one. I'll look around, if anything I guess the shop will do this lol