Android Auto Wireless

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2021, 11:23 PM
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
Android Auto Wireless

Hi everyone, I was disappointed when I found out the TLX Type S does not have wireless Android Auto. But I've been using this AA Wireless dongle in my 2016 Honda Accord Touring for the past month and it works perfectly. It takes less than 1 minute to connect my phone to my car. It only took 5 minutes for me to install it and it has never failed me in the 3 weeks I've had it. So for those of you who are looking for a wireless alternative then I highly recommend this. You can buy it on indiegogo but it won't ship until October at the earliest. If it works perfectly in my Honda then I don't see why it wouldn't work well in an Acura too. I plan to install in in my Type S once I receive my car in a few months.

Here's a short video of it booting up in my car and connecting to my Fold 2:

Let me know if you have any questions but I definitely LOVE it!

The following users liked this post:
Camaro194 (08-06-2021)
Old 08-06-2021, 12:11 AM
Advanced

Here's the link where I bought it:

AAWireless | Indiegogo
Old 08-06-2021, 05:56 AM
Racer

Received 310 Likes on 143 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience with it. I've been looking into getting one.
Old 08-06-2021, 08:33 AM
Drifting

Received 1,231 Likes on 890 Posts
Please don't recommend anything unless you've actually tried it in the car you plan to get. The fact that it works in a Honda doesn't guarantee working in an Acura.

Did you know the current gen Hondas already have wireless CP/AA while the only Acura that has it is the '22 MDX?
Jrvtecaccord (08-11-2021)
Old 01-31-2022, 07:58 PM
Racer

Finally got mine the other day. No issues with setup other than having to enable the passthrough option in the AAWireless device settings. Nice having Android Auto connect automatically without having to plug in any wires. Also like having album art showing up again! Boot up time is pretty quick too, only 35 seconds from starting the car to audio playing.
Old 04-07-2022, 04:30 PM
'21 TLX TECH AWD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just got my AA wireless just two days and it work flawlessly on my 21 tlx tech. Maybe wait a minute or two after starting the car and AA starts on the screen. Wifey want one for the pilot. I gonna wait a week how is it then gonna order another one.
Old 05-15-2022, 02:40 PM
Advanced

I started having issues with my AA wireless dongle. It kept rebooting whenever I'm driving around for over 30 min. It usually reconnects within 20 seconds but still annoying. I bought the Motorola MA1 and it has worked perfectly. So if you guys are having any issues with the AA wireless dongle then try the Motorola one. I was able to sell my AA wireless dongle for more than what I paid for it on ebay.
Old 05-15-2022, 05:13 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by SGPMan
I started having issues with my AA wireless dongle. It kept rebooting whenever I'm driving around for over 30 min. It usually reconnects within 20 seconds but still annoying. I bought the Motorola MA1 and it has worked perfectly. So if you guys are having any issues with the AA wireless dongle then try the Motorola one. I was able to sell my AA wireless dongle for more than what I paid for it on ebay.
Thanks for the idea of selling. I stopped using mine due to random issues getting it to connect. Same as you, I ended up selling it for more than I purchased it for.

I'll check out the Motorola unit if I want to use Android Auto again, but I'm fine using the stock setup as it works better with the touch pad.
Old 05-22-2022, 12:18 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the Motorola one. It works well, sometimes it takes longer than the wired. It is nice not having to plug it in when I go somewhere close.
Old 07-11-2022, 11:31 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
The Motorola is the only one approved by Google. It appears that Target is the only place that has them in stock at this time.
Old 10-30-2022, 01:56 AM
mvl
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 139 Posts
I haven't had issues with AAWireless in my 2020 MDX, Only thing I had to learn is that my phone (Z Flip 4) could only connect to 2 bluetooth things at once. So if my Samsung watch and bluetooth headset were on, I had to shut off one before the phone connected to AAwireless.

I've been in a 21 TLX loaner for a week, moved over my AAwireless puck the whole time, and it has been a bit less reliable. I drive about 10 trips a day and am in the car for at least 2 hours a day, and I did have one dropout of AAwireless over the week. Also had about 3-4 trips where it took at least a minute to connect. Still 90% problem-free so fine for a loaner, but something I'd troubleshoot more if I owned the TLX.
Old 10-30-2022, 07:49 AM
Drifting

Received 1,231 Likes on 890 Posts
Originally Posted by mvl
I haven't had issues with AAWireless in my 2020 MDX, Only thing I had to learn is that my phone (Z Flip 4) could only connect to 2 bluetooth things at once. So if my Samsung watch and bluetooth headset were on, I had to shut off one before the phone connected to AAwireless.

I've been in a 21 TLX loaner for a week, moved over my AAwireless puck the whole time, and it has been a bit less reliable. I drive about 10 trips a day and am in the car for at least 2 hours a day, and I did have one dropout of AAwireless over the week. Also had about 3-4 trips where it took at least a minute to connect. Still 90% problem-free so fine for a loaner, but something I'd troubleshoot more if I owned the TLX.
Surprised they had so many TLXs to use as loaners...or maybe I shouldn't be...
Old 10-30-2022, 07:57 PM
mvl
Racer

My guess is dealers had some Aspecs traded in for TypeS's as you could get MSRP on a trade 3 months ago, and the trades probably aren't selling anymore with the interest rates going up.
Old 03-28-2023, 12:30 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Hello,

Can I get a model number for the Motorola Dongle please.
Old 03-28-2023, 02:49 PM
mvl
Racer

https://www.motorola.com/us/ma1-wire...android-auto/p
Old 06-21-2023, 01:20 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Just got the Motorola MA1 today. Setup was easy and seems to be working perfectly. It does take a little longer than the cable for AA to fully connect. At least now the wireless charging pad isn't useless.
Old 06-21-2023, 05:03 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 534 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by wdmacura
Just got the Motorola MA1 today. Setup was easy and seems to be working perfectly. It does take a little longer than the cable for AA to fully connect. At least now the wireless charging pad isn't useless.
Lucky you.

On iPhone the wireless charging pad is completely useless. 😢
Old 06-22-2023, 09:34 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by wdmacura
Please advise further on your new device. Do you keep the Dongle connected even when the car is off and parked? Does the screen change to Android auto or do you have to select Android auto from the menu when you first start up the vehicle?
Anything else to add on its operation?
Thanks
Old 06-22-2023, 04:41 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Kiwi2000
Please advise further on your new device. Do you keep the Dongle connected even when the car is off and parked? Does the screen change to Android auto or do you have to select Android auto from the menu when you first start up the vehicle?
Thanks
If it’s anything like the Apple CarPlay adapters it’ll load up the same way a wired connection does. As far as the car is concerned you’re hard wiring into it.
Old 06-22-2023, 05:39 PM
mvl
Racer

Thanks
Yes you leave it plugged in the whole time and forget about it.

On my older generation 2020 MDX (matches 2020 TLX software), Android Auto comes up without doing anything when you start the car.

Last time I used the dongle on a TLX was a loaner and I forget if it was automatic or if you have to tap the Android Auto icon.
Old 07-12-2023, 03:46 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by KrylonBlue
Lucky you.

On iPhone the wireless charging pad is completely useless. 😢
Really? My wife's iphone charges just fine on the charging pad. Are you using a case that maybe blocks out the wireless charging capability?
Old 07-12-2023, 03:52 PM
Advanced

Thanks
Yes, I leave it in the car full time and connected. I used a command strip and mounted it to the side of the console box so it is out of the way and stays put (If you do this just make sure you mount it with the power button up, in case you ever want to power it down). I keep my main screen on factory nav typically, but AA always boots up on the right hand side upon starting the car (as my audio choice is set to AA). And it comes on quicker over time...took a little longer the first few times I started the car, but now it's pretty quick. Nothing really else to add...pretty much just use AA with the trackpad like you would on the wired connection.
Old 08-01-2023, 02:30 PM
sur
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
This is a great addition to the car.

My only complaint is that it won't work with a VPN. The wired AA was a little buggy through a VPN, but the wireless device I got simply won't connect if I have it enabled.
Old 08-09-2023, 04:25 PM
Advanced

I finally connected the Motorola. It is a nice feature to have for sure makes the vehicle infotainment much more useable IMO. Someone said they now had Album art visible by using the dongle, I have Tidal and when I asked Google to play music it pulled from Tidal but I only had the Android auto icon display on the small screen. Can I get the Album art and if so how? Do I need to say a particular track or name a play list or what? It sounded pretty good, what is the connection between the phone and the dongle and the car? It sure doesn't sound like a Bluetooth connection. I wonder what level of Tidal audio is able to be played back using this connection method? Would be keen if it could play back Atmos audio tracks.
Best $100.00 bucks spent on this car so far.
Old 08-10-2023, 03:55 AM
mvl
Racer

The right side of the screen is useless with Android Auto. Acura doesn't give Android Auto access to it.

You can split the Android Auto part of screen in half to show Tidal and Navigation, and see the album art on the Tidal part. But will still have the useless triangle on the right.

Android Auto uses wifi for screen and audio transfer. Bluetooth is just for the initial connection handshake.
Old 08-10-2023, 07:47 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mvl
The right side of the screen is useless with Android Auto. Acura doesn't give Android Auto access to it.

You can split the Android Auto part of screen in half to show Tidal and Navigation, and see the album art on the Tidal part. But will still have the useless triangle on the right.

Android Auto uses wifi for screen and audio transfer. Bluetooth is just for the initial connection handshake.
Thanks, please advise as to how I can split the main screen to access the Tidal info. Any input as to what audio codecs can be played back through this sound system via Tidal? I think I read somewhere that DTS was included. I guess I will check out the 500 page manual as well. It sure sounded good as is however.
Old 08-10-2023, 01:35 PM
Advanced

I figured out how to split the main screen but it goes into three sections. Is there a way to make it only two sections? Also now the music plays whenever I get into the car. I would like to have the option to listen not have it come on as soon as I enter.
Old 08-10-2023, 06:35 PM
mvl
Racer

The right section will always be a grey triangle.

You can either merge the left two sections or split them, can't use the right one unless Acura revises its software (doubtful). To merge the left two just swipe until one section is highlighted and tap and it will maximize to the whole (usable left 2/3rds) screen.

If you go into Androind Auto settings (the gear app on the menu), there is an option to start music when Android Auto starts. Disable it if you dont want that.
Old 08-11-2023, 11:46 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mvl
The right section will always be a grey triangle.

You can either merge the left two sections or split them, can't use the right one unless Acura revises its software (doubtful). To merge the left two just swipe until one section is highlighted and tap and it will maximize to the whole (usable left 2/3rds) screen.

If you go into Androind Auto settings (the gear app on the menu), there is an option to start music when Android Auto starts. Disable it if you dont want that.
Thank you for the information although playing around with the two sections I did get album art on both the small and large screen. On the small screen if you push down it moves the image over to the larger screen and back if pressed again. I can turn off the music with teh on/off button on the left side of the steering wheel so no need to go into the gear as of now.
I guess you can select the queue box to see upcoming selections? I will try that next.

Old 08-12-2023, 05:47 PM
Advanced

Yes the queue button does display upcoming selections, which is only available on the larger screen . Next on the agenda is finding the downloaded Tidal playlists, no luck so far. I can see all of the playlists available on Tidal and can scroll through them. But the downloaded selections I cant seem to find using the cars Android auto and Tidal although they are easily access able on my phone.
I note the phone must be in the charger holder for the dongle to "see" it. Not much range on that unit.
Old 08-12-2023, 07:08 PM
mvl
Racer

When I used AAwireless in a 21 TLX loaner the connection worked fine with the phone in my left pocket.
Old 08-13-2023, 08:23 PM
AZ Community Team

I’m curious as I didn’t have long to test it while I had a CarPlay Wireless Adapter. Is there an audio quality difference between wired and wireless?
Old 08-14-2023, 07:56 AM
Advanced

Does anyone know how to access downloaded playlists from Tidal using the android auto feature on the car?
On another android topic the manual says when using android auto that the button can be used on the left side of the steering wheel to operate it. I find that button is accessing the cars navigation only and not android auto which I think is only available by using the screen or voice command, "hey google". Am I missing something?
Old 08-21-2023, 10:54 PM
Instructor

Received 335 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by KrylonBlue
I’m curious as I didn’t have long to test it while I had a CarPlay Wireless Adapter. Is there an audio quality difference between wired and wireless?
Nah same codec and bitrate are used for both. Since it uses Wifi for the actual data there is no need for compression like there is with Bluetooth.
KrylonBlue (08-27-2023)
Old 08-22-2023, 12:12 AM
mvl
Racer

On another android topic the manual says when using android auto that the button can be used on the left side of the steering wheel to operate it. I find that button is accessing the cars navigation only and not android auto which I think is only available by using the screen or voice command, "hey google". Am I missing something?
Long hold the steering wheel button to access Android auto. A short tap accesses car navigation.
Old 09-10-2023, 10:52 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mvl
Long hold the steering wheel button to access Android auto. A short tap accesses car navigation.
Awesome thanks although that is not what the dealer says, they say Android auto is not available using that steering wheel button. I will try it out.
I noticed on my last venture out of the city where I drove for a few hours I left with teh phone at 90% and when I arrived at the destination even though I did not access Android auto at all during the trip my phone weas burning hot and at 20% charge. I have since looked up this issue online and have found many users experiencing this same battery drain, heat issue and some are even pointing the car vents at the phone in an attempt to keep it cool. If that continues to be the case this feature will eventually ruin my phone.

Old 09-11-2023, 07:33 AM
mvl
Racer

I noticed on my last venture out of the city where I drove for a few hours I left with teh phone at 90% and when I arrived at the destination even though I did not access Android auto at all during the trip my phone weas burning hot and at 20% charge. I have since looked up this issue online and have found many users experiencing this same battery drain, heat issue and some are even pointing the car vents at the phone in an attempt to keep it cool. If that continues to be the case this feature will eventually ruin my phone.
I mount my phone with a motorized-grip wireless vent mount. So the vents always cool it.

Strange that it kills charge without Android Auto. Open up battery settings and there should be a top-used-app list, see if there is a runaway app killing battery when it does it, might point to some clues.
Old 09-11-2023, 08:45 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mvl
I mount my phone with a motorized-grip wireless vent mount. So the vents always cool it.

Strange that it kills charge without Android Auto. Open up battery settings and there should be a top-used-app list, see if there is a runaway app killing battery when it does it, might point to some clues.
Great suggestion too bad that feature only displays the last 7 days. But if it happens again I now know where to look this time around for clues.

I have to report also that the Motorola wireless dongle is intermittent at best. It is always saying Android auto not available then a few seconds later it is. I cannot recommend this product. If I were to require nav going somewhere unknown I would plug it in. Same for listening to music, too many drop outs.
Old 09-11-2023, 09:15 AM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Great suggestion too bad that feature only displays the last 7 days. But if it happens again I now know where to look this time around for clues.

I have to report also that the Motorola wireless dongle is intermittent at best. It is always saying Android auto not available then a few seconds later it is. I cannot recommend this product. If I were to require nav going somewhere unknown I would plug it in. Same for listening to music, too many drop outs.
I have the exact same experience with the Motorola. Works about 2/3 of the time. Then randomly cuts out while driving. I've also noticed there are certain points in the city that it ALWAYS cuts out - must be interference from something.
Old 09-11-2023, 12:47 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by sooner_luvr
I have the exact same experience with the Motorola. Works about 2/3 of the time. Then randomly cuts out while driving. I've also noticed there are certain points in the city that it ALWAYS cuts out - must be interference from something.
I agree. Have you had any issue with your phone overheating when connected to Android auto app? I have made some setting changes to the battery and reset it just for good measure.

Quick Reply: Android Auto Wireless