What would you do if you got rear-ended?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2021, 08:27 AM
Drifting

Received 1,246 Likes on 904 Posts
What would you do if you got rear-ended?

I got rear-ended yesterday in stop and go traffic. My car was completely stopped and hit by a low speed impact. I had brake-hold active so it maintained my position when I was hit. Doesn't appear to be much damage and you wouldn't even know something happened unless I pointed to the black area to the right of the license plate. Lower portion of the license plate and the bracket are slightly bent (bracket has a crack in the frame). I have pics of the other driver's insurance, license, and the front of their vehicle (w/license plate). I only shared my phone number as they didn't ask for my insurance or license.

As the car is a lease, I'm thinking of taking it to the dealer to see what permanent damage may have occurred. I have a good 29 months left on the lease so I don't want to wait way down the road before finding issues.
What kind of things should I look for whether it be underneath the car or otherwise?
Old 06-05-2021, 10:20 AM
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts
Simply file a claim. You’re not at fault so your only inconvenience will be the 4-5 days you won’t have your car.
The following 2 users liked this post by Honda430:
ELIN (06-05-2021), justnspace (06-05-2021)
Old 06-05-2021, 11:14 AM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
do you not have full coverage insurance?

Does the dealer even do collision work? if it's a special dealer with it's own body shop, then yes....but most dealers dont have a collision auto body shop on premise.

is this your first car, ever?

Last edited by justnspace; 06-05-2021 at 11:16 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ELIN (06-05-2021)
Old 06-05-2021, 11:26 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by justnspace
do you not have full coverage insurance?

Does the dealer even do collision work? if it's a special dealer with it's own body shop, then yes....but most dealers dont have a collision auto body shop on premise.

is this your first car, ever?
I do have full coverage but my state is an "at fault" state (compared to NY which is "no fault"). If I go through my own insurance, my premium is definitely going up.

That's a good point about the body shop. Looks like the best bet is to have their insurance's adjuster look at the car.

Not my first car. I was just trying to avoid inconveniences if the damage is purely cosmetic and not something Acura would knock me for at lease end. The risk is on me if I do nothing.
Old 06-05-2021, 11:26 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Honda430
Simply file a claim. You’re not at fault so your only inconvenience will be the 4-5 days you won’t have your car.
I think I'm heavily leaning towards that direction.
Old 06-05-2021, 01:49 PM
Racer

Received 236 Likes on 148 Posts
Originally Posted by ELIN
I think I'm heavily leaning towards that direction.

By all means file a claim-you do not want to find out 2 years later that something is damaged and Acura Financial dings you for it on turn in.
ELIN (06-05-2021)
Old 06-05-2021, 05:52 PM
Drifting

Thanks everyone!
Old 06-06-2021, 12:37 AM
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts
Remember the plastic bumper bounces back after impact, but the crush zone absorption shocks attached to the steel bumper behind the plastic one doesn’t.

If you get hit again the same way, damage could be exponential to this “tap”.
ELIN (06-06-2021)
Old 06-06-2021, 07:55 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by KidK
Remember the plastic bumper bounces back after impact, but the crush zone absorption shocks attached to the steel bumper behind the plastic one doesn’t.

If you get hit again the same way, damage could be exponential to this “tap”.
Yes. It's what you don't see underneath that could be the most damaging.

Taking more pics of the rear and calling their insurance today.
Old 06-06-2021, 10:19 AM
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 120 Posts
I got rear-ended yesterday in stop and go traffic. My car was completely stopped and hit by a low speed impact. I had brake-hold active so it maintained my position when I was hit. Doesn't appear to be much damage and you wouldn't even know something happened unless I pointed to the black area to the right of the license plate. Lower portion of the license plate and the bracket are slightly bent (bracket has a crack in the frame). I have pics of the other driver's insurance, license, and the front of their vehicle (w/license plate). I only shared my phone number as they didn't ask for my insurance or license.

As the car is a lease, I'm thinking of taking it to the dealer to see what permanent damage may have occurred. I have a good 29 months left on the lease so I don't want to wait way down the road before finding issues.
What kind of things should I look for whether it be underneath the car or otherwise?
Definitely file a claim. I went through something similar a year ago - different car. Damage somewhat worse - not terrible though. My premium did not go up. Other driver entirely at fault in a rear-ender - which I thought was true in a rear-ender no matter what state you are in. In my case - the other driver's insurance paid for everything.
The following 2 users liked this post by Flapjackura:
BEAR-AvHistory (06-06-2021), ELIN (06-06-2021)
Old 06-06-2021, 03:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Agree with Flapjackura. Got rear ended at a light 3 times in my lifetime all at a traffic light. Believe it or not twice in my pickup truck. Can't imagine some dumb a** stupid could not see a bright red 4X4 pickup sitting in the road waiting for the light to change. Hitters insurance in each case paid all claims. No rate increase for me.

BTW did not see it asked but did you get checked out?
Old 06-06-2021, 06:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
I had that happen twice in two months a few years ago on an A7 Audi. I had a crease in the bumper both times. Got if fixed on the other guys insurance the first time. The second time i filed a claim with the other guys insurance but wound up trading the car to the dealer. The cost for the dealer to fix it was so low he didn't care about the damage on his trade offer. Bottom line - the other guys fault, get it fixed. It's a hassle, but you deserve to have it fixed. I keep my cars immaculate so it's a no brainer. BTW, I traded it for a new A7.

Two years after I bought the second one a guy backed into my car in a parking lot and damaged the bumper even worse. Three A7 bumper hits, all while i was sitting still or not even in the car. Traded that A7 for a BMW 540. That car had paint damage to a bumper coming off the ship and to be repainted before I even took delivery. I'm actualizing leaving out two more bumper paint damage hits to the A7s - one before I bought the second car and one while parked in a LOWES Parking lot.
Old 06-06-2021, 06:54 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory

BTW did not see it asked but did you get checked out?
Submitted a claim. Hoping to see an adjuster soon.
Old 06-07-2021, 01:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Been rear-ended once in the black NSX, twice in the R8 V10, once in the S4, once in the TLX A-spec, and once in the 740i. Every time was similar to the way OP got hit - standing completely still at a red light. I can’t figure out why people don’t pay attention when driving.

Insurance paid for the repairs of course as well as injury claims.
Old 06-07-2021, 08:49 AM
CPR
Burning Brakes

Received 277 Likes on 144 Posts
Happened to me in my 2015 TLX on the Belt Parkway
Lesson learned: CALL THE POLICE ASAP
With no Police report, had to wait 2 years for this guys insurance to pony up
No matter how slight the damage: GET THE POLICE REPORT!
Saves time & aggravation
The following 2 users liked this post by CPR:
neuronbob (06-23-2021), robnalex (06-08-2021)
Old 06-07-2021, 11:44 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by CPR
Happened to me in my 2015 TLX on the Belt Parkway
Lesson learned: CALL THE POLICE ASAP
With no Police report, had to wait 2 years for this guys insurance to pony up
No matter how slight the damage: GET THE POLICE REPORT!
Saves time & aggravation
The other driver was in a rush so we went our separate ways w/o police showing up. The other driver doesn't appear to be disputing who's at fault.
Was your 2 years wait because the other driver gave a different story from you?

If I had suffered more visible damage or someone was hurt, I would have definitely called the police.
Old 06-07-2021, 11:49 AM
Drifting

That day, I had driven through some pretty packed streets in Manhattan. When cars are double parked and I'm trying to squeeze through, I really wish I had the Advance's capability of tucking the power side mirrors.

The TLX is one of the widest sedans I've ever had!
Old 06-07-2021, 01:37 PM
Drifting

I haven't contacted my insurance at all (and the other party doesn't have it). Should I let my insurance know about the accident too?
Old 06-07-2021, 02:41 PM
The inconvenient truth

Received 438 Likes on 323 Posts
Here's what you do... Make a police report ( where I live in Ontario you go to a special police office and make a report and they assess the damage ). Get a copy of it of corse. Notify your insurance but don't make a claim just yet. Give the other party the opportunity to pay out of pocket. Get estimates and send the estimates to them. If they don't pay within a reasonable amount of time then make an insurance claim.

And make sure to text or record you calls with the other party. Make sure they admit fault on recording or text message. You can casually work this into the convo as you are sending estimates/ working out potential payment.
Old 06-07-2021, 02:57 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by dopeboy1
Here's what you do... Make a police report ( where I live in Ontario you go to a special police office and make a report and they assess the damage ). Get a copy of it of corse. Notify your insurance but don't make a claim just yet. Give the other party the opportunity to pay out of pocket. Get estimates and send the estimates to them. If they don't pay within a reasonable amount of time then make an insurance claim.

And make sure to text or record you calls with the other party. Make sure they admit fault on recording or text message. You can casually work this into the convo as you are sending estimates/ working out potential payment.
I've already filed with the other party's insurance. So far my insurance has not been notified (should I?).

I have text messages from the other party. They admitted to being rushed (late for something). Content includes apology and thanking me for being understanding.

I already filed. Is it too late to talk to the police?
Old 06-08-2021, 07:35 AM
Racer

I think it is prudent to notify your insurance company about the accident. It gives you another level of protection in case the driver or his insurance company do not fulfill their responsibility. From what you have indicated that hopefully will not be the case.
Old 06-08-2021, 07:43 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Pens Fan
I think it is prudent to notify your insurance company about the accident. It gives you another level of protection in case the driver or his insurance company do not fulfill their responsibility. From what you have indicated that hopefully will not be the case.
I notified my insurance yesterday and......lost my "no accident" discount!

My insurance confirmed my premium shouldn't go up as long as I don't use any of their services (ie. adjuster appointment, car rental, etc.). They of course forgot that w/o the "no accident" discount, my premium DOES in fact go up! In hindsight, I may have been better off contacting my insurance only after things start to go south with the other driver's insurance.
Old 06-08-2021, 07:45 AM
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 86 Posts
Always call the police immediately after an accident and get a report. I was rear-ended once and the driver fled the scene. I called the police, they came, I gave a description of the truck that hit me (couldn't get the license), got a report, and had no problems with insurance.
Old 06-08-2021, 07:55 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by robnalex
Always call the police immediately after an accident and get a report. I was rear-ended once and the driver fled the scene. I called the police, they came, I gave a description of the truck that hit me (couldn't get the license), got a report, and had no problems with insurance.
My situation's a bit different from yours.

1) Driver never left the scene and admitted fault verbally and via text message (including the fact that she was running late for an event).

2) I have pictures of the front of their car, the rear of my car, driver herself, her license, and insurance card.

3) Other driver doesn't have any of my info other than my first name and my cellphone (where we texted back and forth). I sent her pics of the front of her car and the rear of mine for reference so she does have my license plate.

As far as I'm concerned, I have all the leverage and proof that she was at fault.
Old 06-08-2021, 07:59 AM
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 86 Posts
My situation's a bit different from yours.

1) Driver never left the scene and admitted fault verbally and via text message (including the fact that she was running late for an event).

2) I have pictures of the front of their car, the rear of my car, driver herself, her license, and insurance card.

3) Other driver doesn't have any of my info other than my first name and my cellphone (where we texted back and forth). I sent her pics of the front of her car and the rear of mine for reference so she does have my license plate.

As far as I'm concerned, I have all the leverage and proof that she was at fault.
That's all fine and dandy, but your insurance company will ask for a police report, and you don't have one.
Old 06-08-2021, 08:01 AM
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 120 Posts

My insurance confirmed my premium shouldn't go up as long as I don't use any of their services (ie. adjuster appointment, car rental, etc.). They of course forgot that w/o the "no accident" discount, my premium DOES in fact go up! In hindsight, I may have been better off contacting my insurance only after things start to go south with the other driver's insurance.
That's a crap business practice - once your renewal comes up, I would recommend shopping for a new policy. At the time of the incident my provider was Geico, and still is. All they really had to do was document everything, and the agent helped me work with the other party's insurance - which was Allstate - and they handled everything with me very well. The only mild annoyance was that I had to use their approved body shop for the repair which was mainly the replacement of the bumper cover and cladding piece around the left rear wheel, as well as one backup light, and one rear reflector cover. The body shop wound up being first rate so no harm done. One thing I didn't do was call the cops - but in hindsight I was lucky that the other party did all the right things. From reading this thread, now I know - next time - call the cops.
ELIN (06-08-2021)
Old 06-08-2021, 08:26 AM
Drifting

That's all fine and dandy, but your insurance company will ask for a police report, and you don't have one.
Where we were parked on the small shoulder it was fairly dangerous (oncoming traffic could hit an open door). I was ok with not waiting for the police but I agree that waiting is best for a cut and dry case.

Best case scenario: the other insurance pays out and my car no longer has a hard to see bulge in the black portion of the bumper.

Worst case scenario: the other insurance refuses to pay and I live with the cosmetic damage and possible unseen structural damage.

Based on the proof/leverage that I have, I don't think this case can be turned on me where I was the person guilty of rear-ending someone.
Old 06-08-2021, 11:01 AM
Racer

I too find this outrageous-you did not cause the accident so how can they remove the discount. You should check other insurance companies when your policy renews. Can't believe all insurance companies would handle the same way.
Old 06-08-2021, 11:05 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Pens Fan
I too find this outrageous-you did not cause the accident so how can they remove the discount. You should check other insurance companies when your policy renews. Can't believe all insurance companies would handle the same way.
Their reasoning is that even though I was not at fault, I put myself in a situation where the probability of a fender bender increases. It's all a numbers game for insurance companies.
Old 06-08-2021, 06:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 225 Posts
Police report is a double edged sword. If you can do without it on a minor accident (ie: exchange info and be on your way) it's all the better. If you are leasing then no big deal. If you are buying the police report hits the carfax even for the smallest of accidents and that devalues the car if it's not too old. Acura dealer sales GM gave me that advice and from experience it's true. If you live in a state that allows "loss of value" claims then you can recoup that with a little effort. Some states prohibit that claim. Most people don't realize till they go to trade in and the dealer drops the value by a few thousand for the carfax reported accident.
Old 06-09-2021, 10:06 AM
CPR
Burning Brakes

Received 277 Likes on 144 Posts
Other driver was a Gypsy Cab; I had all his info, but of course, he disputed the circumstances; therefore, the 2 year wait to collect
The day before the trial, his insurance settled for $100 LESS than the repair
GET THE POLICE REPORT!
Old 06-23-2021, 11:45 AM
Drifting

Update: other party has taken full responsibility and working only through their insurance for repair and car rental. My car is in the shop and received a Maxima as a loaner.

The Maxima is quite similar to the TLX and I'm surprised at just how little space is behind the Maxima for a mid-size (even less than the TLX on paper if you can believe that!). Nearly all dimensions are identical to the TLX even down to the poor fuel econ (though the Maxima is pushing a 300HP V6). The only wins for the Maxima are a slightly better 0-60 and superior engine sound and acceleration. Still can't believe the Altima is roomier than this car.
Old 06-23-2021, 06:12 PM
Pro

Received 102 Likes on 78 Posts
Update: other party has taken full responsibility and working only through their insurance for repair and car rental. My car is in the shop and received a Maxima as a loaner.

The Maxima is quite similar to the TLX and I'm surprised at just how little space is behind the Maxima for a mid-size (even less than the TLX on paper if you can believe that!). Nearly all dimensions are identical to the TLX even down to the poor fuel econ (though the Maxima is pushing a 300HP V6). The only wins for the Maxima are a slightly better 0-60 and superior engine sound and acceleration. Still can't believe the Altima is roomier than this car.
A lot of people sleep on the Maxima. It has one of the best CVT transmission on the market and I'm not talking about the crappy one they use in the Altima and other models. I actually have a 2008 Nissan Maxima that still runs like new and has the original VQ35DE and CVT transmission. Back in the days the Maxima was a force to be reckon with especially the 4th and 5th Gen. They were a true 4 door sports car back then.
Old 06-23-2021, 06:26 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kinuto
A lot of people sleep on the Maxima. It has one of the best CVT transmission on the market and I'm not talking about the crappy one they use in the Altima and other models. I actually have a 2008 Nissan Maxima that still runs like new and has the original VQ35DE and CVT transmission. Back in the days the Maxima was a force to be reckon with especially the 4th and 5th Gen. They were a true 4 door sports car back then.
That's all great but did the interior shrink?!! I always thought that non-premium/luxury mid-size sedans should be similar to the Camry/Altima interior space.
Kinuto (06-24-2021)
Old 06-23-2021, 08:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 672 Likes on 417 Posts

The VQ's biggest weak point was its terrible gas mileage. Pretty stout engines though.

And no, you don't always need a police report, but it's not the worst thing in the world to have. You did a great job in taking photos of everything. Police reports are mainly done for insurance scam purposes. The police can "determine fault" on their report, but it's not as meaningful as you'd think. Both sides give their stories and the police take it into consideration and make a determination. Your insurance company will do the same thing, and if they agree with you that it wasn't entirely your fault, despite the police making you at fault, they will fight for you. Also, if you leave the scene where there's property damage only, at least here in NY, the police cannot take a report for you after the fact. You can do your own civilian accident report which you can print out online from the DMV. The pictures of everything on scene are more than enough tho. In both my accidents, I paid whatever the fee was to get it, and both times my insurance company said they didn't need it ... *grumble*

In one of my accidents, I had some asshole refuse to move out of the way while I was driving uphill with cleared snow on both sides of the road. I literally put my car in the snowbank while he kept going about his merry way on the street, not even trying to make it easier for me despite me having to go uphill and he was going downhill. Basic physics tells you who should be moving over. The rear quarter panel couldn't make it up so my car sideswiped him. The cop put me entirely at fault. I was livid. Explained it all to my insurance company and they agreed that it was, at worst, 50/50. I then looked it up and said that technically, a car going uphill, regardless of conditions, has the right of way. They agreed, my rates didn't go up (didn't file a claim anywho, since the car was old and it was minor cosmetic damage) and that was that. Now, any time there's snow and I'm going uphill, I just move over as far as I can without putting myself in a bad spot and literally stop and wait for them to pass me. Fuck them. /rant
The following 2 users liked this post by leomio2.0:
ELIN (06-23-2021), Kinuto (06-24-2021)
Old 06-24-2021, 03:02 PM
Drifting

Let me add one more tidbit when I dropped off my car:

Both the shop guy and the car rental guy who arrived to give me the keys to the Maxima complimented my A-Spec. They must have confused it with the Type S because both of them had that "I can't wait til the owner leaves so I can take this car for a joy ride" look!
Old 07-14-2021, 06:26 PM
Cruisin'

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Rear ended
Traffic came to a stop after going about 50 mph I had about 4 car length in front so emergency braking took over. I looked back and saw the guy not paying attention, and bammm was rear ended on the highway back in December, 1 week after I got the car. So many thoughts came to my head when it happened. He tried to blame it on somebody cutting me off I told him nobody cut me off. Went through insurance his insurance covered it all including my deductible.
Old 07-14-2021, 09:16 PM
Drifting

^^^^^^^^
That looks a lot worse than what I ended up with. My damage cost well over $1400+ for something that looked purely cosmetic. I had none of the buckling you experienced by the exhaust pipes.
Was your repair north of $2k?
Old 07-14-2021, 09:53 PM
Cruisin'

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Definitely was,total was around 8,200. The area around where the battery sits was damaged as well. Trunk was pushed forward as well. Waited for a month just for parts from acura. Overall body shop matched the paint to acura specs, just wished it never happened
pyrodan007 (07-15-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 09:57 AM
Drifting

Sucks that it was so soon after you got the car! Luckily insurance ruled in your favor (as it should!). Who was your sales guy from Open Road? I had a bad experience and didn't buy from them.

Quick Reply: What would you do if you got rear-ended?