Transmission hangs in neutral during full throttle with steering full lock?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2024 | 03:41 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by rabbit73
But you keep coming back trying to say this is a broad issue and that someone is going to die as a result of a chronic manufacturing defect.
Ok, now you've hit a nerve. I've only ever talked about myself and commiserated w/folks who have the same problem. When did I ever say this was chronic?

I brought receipts. Where are yours?
The following users liked this post:
FeelMyJoy (05-03-2024)
Old 01-12-2024 | 04:57 PM
Burning Brakes

You reported an issue on a 4cyl that was only ever attributed to the Type S. You keep posting about how it happened repeatedly, but you didn't think to document the issue somehow? I'm thinking maybe your particular car was just a lemon and you're trying to apply your experience across the entire model line.
The 4cyl TLX didn't have the same trans as the V6 TLX which did have trans lag with the ZF trans. I though by most accounts the 4 cyl variant trans was pretty smooth. The reported type S issue seems somewhat similar to my TLX trans lag issues (mine was an 18 though). IMO the prior TLX lag was due to the trans not being able to decide what gear to drop into and the result was a couple second or so delay of nothing happening. Acura tried to program it out but it didn't make much difference. Not sure if the type S has a different trans than the older V6 tlx's or just a modified version. Frankly if you don't drive that aggresive you are unlikely to notice issue that the more spirited drivers experience. ZF makes some good transmissions, the 9 spd was kinda the exception.

I do not know who sources the type S trans so not dissing it.
Old 01-12-2024 | 05:51 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ELIN
When did I ever say this was chronic?
The issue has been highlighted, others (including myself) have experienced this, and now we know the cause
Acura makes great engines but their transmissions can be suspect
when this aspect of the TLX leads to a fatality
my joy in finding the reason for a major issue I had with my TLX
I'm saddened to hear that even '23 models are susceptible to this issue. If this can't be fixed, I would seriously consider getting into a different car
Posted by subiefanIL83:This seems to be a Type S specific issue.
I can guarantee you it's not.
I'm just seeing what other issues this gen TLX has

Looks like pretty broad strokes to me. You're on the forum for a car you no longer own telling people about your bad experience. I was pointing out you had a different engine with a different transmission with different software, not looking for an argument. Nor do I intend to continue it.
Old 01-12-2024 | 06:30 PM
Drifting

The issue has been highlighted, others (including myself) have experienced this, and now we know the cause
Acura makes great engines but their transmissions can be suspect
when this aspect of the TLX leads to a fatality
my joy in finding the reason for a major issue I had with my TLX
I'm saddened to hear that even '23 models are susceptible to this issue. If this can't be fixed, I would seriously consider getting into a different car
Posted by subiefanIL83:This seems to be a Type S specific issue.
I can guarantee you it's not.
I'm just seeing what other issues this gen TLX has

Looks like pretty broad strokes to me. You're on the forum for a car you no longer own telling people about your bad experience. I was pointing out you had a different engine with a different transmission with different software, not looking for an argument. Nor do I intend to continue it.
And folks say I'm on a crusade!

Nice burner account! You joined in March '23 but been keeping tabs on me for some reason. Well done!

Speaking of broad strokes, I noticed how everyone got real quiet when I mentioned the exploding rear windshield/moonroof issue for the RDX!

Last edited by ELIN; 01-12-2024 at 06:34 PM.
FeelMyJoy (05-03-2024)
Old 01-15-2024 | 07:06 PM
Drifting

And folks say I'm on a crusade!

Nice burner account! You joined in March '23 but been keeping tabs on me for some reason. Well done!

Speaking of broad strokes, I noticed how everyone got real quiet when I mentioned the exploding rear windshield/moonroof issue for the RDX!
Start a new thread on it. This is a Hanging Tranny Issue thread.

Old 01-16-2024 | 07:01 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by GhostTL09
Start a new thread on it. This is a Hanging Tranny Issue thread.
No need:
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-.../#post16922172
FeelMyJoy (05-03-2024)
Old 01-16-2024 | 08:17 PM
Drifting

Well, then. Problem solved. Now back to the topic.
Old 01-16-2024 | 09:23 PM
Pro

Update: it's been nearly 2 years... and I still can't reproduce any transmission hang. I know Acura told Geese that it was a protective feature but I highly doubt that as I've really gone out of my way to get it to happen and no dice.
Old 01-17-2024 | 07:27 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by bilirubin
Update: it's been nearly 2 years... and I still can't reproduce any transmission hang. I know Acura told Geese that it was a protective feature but I highly doubt that as I've really gone out of my way to get it to happen and no dice.
I've been pretty vocal that this is not every TLX. This happens to random Acuras for whatever reason. There's no point in trying to reproduce it but "this is not an issue" or "this issue is fake" shouldn't be part of the narrative!
The following 2 users liked this post by ELIN:
bilirubin (01-17-2024), FeelMyJoy (05-03-2024)