TLX Type S factory trans tune update?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2023, 11:59 AM
I love Lamp...

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
TLX Type S factory trans tune update?

Has anyone had a transmission tune updated on the TLX Type S? I have a '23 and at low speeds coming to a stop, if you resume throttle, say comeing to a stop at a red light but it turns green when you are down to 5-10 mph, it sometimes SLAMS into a gear. It's like it hesitates for a second and then is like ' ah screw it, hammer into this one...' Has anyone had issues like this?
The following users liked this post:
MarcoTLX (04-04-2023)
Old 04-03-2023, 01:08 PM
Drifting

Received 709 Likes on 378 Posts
Ha, I know exactly what you mean. If you are in S+ it's gonna search, and S it's gonna search as well but the thunk feels isn't as bad, but based on drive mode the feeling will be more severe. I highly doubt there has been an update, before the refresh. I haven't heard of anything anyways
The following 2 users liked this post by GhostTL09:
bmccord (04-04-2023), MarcoTLX (04-04-2023)
Old 04-04-2023, 09:07 AM
I love Lamp...

Thank you. Yeah, I always keep mine in individual mode with everything in sport but the suspension in comfort. I wish there was a trans setting in addition to the engine. I want the throttle response but I could do one setting back for the trans. If I'm driving more than my short trip to and from work, I just throw it in normal and don't notice any of the trans issues.
Old 04-04-2023, 09:19 AM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Have you tried driving the car in Sport transmission Mode? There is a Transmission setting in addition to Engine (it isn't selectable through the display). Sport+ doesn't automatically put the transmission into sport mode, you have to push the D drive button one more time to get it into Sport. I find the shifting to actually be smoother in that mode (although I haven't experienced any harsh shifting in any mode on my '23).
Old 04-04-2023, 10:11 AM
I love Lamp...

No, I have not tried that. I clicked over to S mode a few time early on and IIRC, it held gears to 3k rpm like the sport plus setting does which silly during my commute. I may be misremembering so I'll give that a shot at lunch. I will say I am loving the auto downshifting while coming to a stop. I feel like I barely use my brakes until the very last of my stops. Let's just hope that's not at the expense of the transmission down the road!
Old 04-04-2023, 11:05 AM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by bmccord
No, I have not tried that. I clicked over to S mode a few time early on and IIRC, it held gears to 3k rpm like the sport plus setting does which silly during my commute. I may be misremembering so I'll give that a shot at lunch. I will say I am loving the auto downshifting while coming to a stop. I feel like I barely use my brakes until the very last of my stops. Let's just hope that's not at the expense of the transmission down the road!
I have used the Sport transmission setting a fair amount while in comfort mode, and the gears dont get held super long like in Sport+. From my understanding the Sport transmission mode is what allows the trans to shift up to 40% quicker than in normal D mode. It also seems to lock out 10th gear, so if your commute is highway driving, wouldn't really make sense to use Sport transmissions mode. But worth a shot to see if it improves the issue you are experiencing.
Old 04-05-2023, 02:14 AM
Super Serial

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
This is why I drive my Type-S with my transmission always in Sport Manual Mode. I know exactly what gear I want to be in, what RPM I want to shift up at, and when I want to downshift to get boost ready for when I hit the gas. I like shifting my car down gently to get the right RPM and then gun it. Instead of hitting the gas, and then waiting for the car to search for the right gear and downshift as quick as it can while trying to accelerate. I like having instant response.

Anyone else drive theirs in Sport Manual Mode? And I mean I drive it 100% of the time in that mode. I treat my car as a manual that can shift quicker than I could if I had a clutch.
Old 04-06-2023, 03:21 PM
I love Lamp...

So I have been driving around in Sport+ mode and it has yet to slam into a gear at low speed resuming acceleration. Weird. I wish there was an in between for sport and sport plus when it comes to the trans. Oh well. Still figuring everything out. Thanks all!
Old 04-07-2023, 07:44 AM
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Interesting. I may try this to see what it is like full-time.
Old 04-12-2023, 11:41 AM
I love Lamp...

I just had something weird happen that was pointed out in this forum of the MDX type S. I was pulling out of the office into brisk traffic so I applied 50ish% throttle in sport+ mode and it cracked off a couple crisp shifts and then slipped out of gear almost as if it were in neutral. I promptly lifted the throttle and it went right into the next gear but that was weird!