TLX Type S Dealer Options and Charges "Secureride"

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2021, 11:51 AM
Cruisin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
TLX Type S Dealer Options and Charges "Secureride"

Hey guys, I'm in Canada and just put a $1000 deposit for a Type S arriving mid July, and was hoping for some input on one of the dealer charges I didn't know was on my deposit invoice until I got home.

Its called "Secureride" and is listed for $598.00.

I searched Google and someone posted a dealership/salesperson review in 2013 for my same dealership and salesguy saying they were "forced" to pay the charge to get the car, and described secureride as basically a documentation fee with nitrogen tires and road side assistance if the tires blow out.

Is this type of package at this price point worth it for the Type S, or is it more or less a cash grab?

The car I'm planning to get has a MSRP of $59,500.00 cdn plus $100 Air conditioning tax, $16.00 tire tax, Freight & PDI of $2,375.00, plus $3,129.45 GST totaling $65,718.45 before options.

I am just wondering about this secureride hydrogen tire fee that was never discussed and wanted to get some unbiased thoughts before asking my salesguy about it.

Many thanks!
Old 07-01-2021, 12:22 PM
Pro

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts
Originally Posted by harpazo
Hey guys, I'm in Canada and just put a $1000 deposit for a Type S arriving mid July, and was hoping for some input on one of the dealer charges I didn't know was on my deposit invoice until I got home.

Its called "Secureride" and is listed for $598.00.

I searched Google and someone posted a dealership/salesperson review in 2013 for my same dealership and salesguy saying they were "forced" to pay the charge to get the car, and described secureride as basically a documentation fee with nitrogen tires and road side assistance if the tires blow out.

Is this type of package at this price point worth it for the Type S, or is it more or less a cash grab?

The car I'm planning to get has a MSRP of $59,500.00 cdn plus $100 Air conditioning tax, $16.00 tire tax, Freight & PDI of $2,375.00, plus $3,129.45 GST totaling $65,718.45 before options.

I am just wondering about this secureride hydrogen tire fee that was never discussed and wanted to get some unbiased thoughts before asking my salesguy about it.

Many thanks!
It's a scam. Acura Roadside Assistance already covers flat tires, and you don't need the nitrogen (it makes at best a 1 psi difference over the course of a year). They might also say it includes VIN window-etching, but that's also a scam and you can get your own kit on Amazon for like 20 bucks.
The following 2 users liked this post by bilirubin:
04WDPSeDaN (07-01-2021), harpazo (07-01-2021)
Old 07-01-2021, 12:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Plain old basic air you breathe is 78 percent nitrogen. Just a scam with a fancy name.
Old 07-01-2021, 02:19 PM
Instructor

Received 234 Likes on 99 Posts
I assume youre in alberta due to you having such low taxes, you could try argueing thatits illegal due to amvics all in pricing. All costs have to be included in qny advertising. Would that include acura.ca on line build it function? Worth a shot….

https://www.amvic.org/consumer/your-...icingisthelaw/

Examples of fees or charges that may beincluded in the advertised price but cannot be added on to it:

• Freight
  • PDI-PDE (pre-delivery inspection/expense)
  • Administration (Admin) fee(s)
  • Levy recoveries (AMVIC levy, air conditioning levy, etc.)
  • Pre-installed products and services (nitrogen/tire protection package, security or theft deterrent products/services such as etching, etc., fuel)

Extra fees

As the buyer or potential buyer you should be sure you fully understand what you are paying for.

A salesperson and/or business must not mislead you into believing a fee is mandatory or required by law if it is not.”

we have almost the exact same law in ontario

The following users liked this post:
harpazo (07-01-2021)
Old 07-01-2021, 02:44 PM
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
I was quoted the same thing, except it was called 'Secure Guard'.
I will do some digging.
The following users liked this post:
harpazo (07-01-2021)
Old 07-01-2021, 05:00 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Plain old basic air you breathe is 78 percent nitrogen. Just a scam with a fancy name.
Exactly right. I've told my Ford dealer in the past...don't put nitrogen in my tires. I won't pay for it. Now them, and long ago, my Acura dealer,
know not to put it in before delivering my new model. They know I won't pay for it....LOL! It's just another way of trying to make a few more
$$. Sometimes it slip through, cause the "prep guys" automatically do it. I never pay...and have had it "removed...and aired up with....AIR! LOL!
Which yes, is 78% nitrogen.
Old 07-02-2021, 07:47 AM
Drifting

Received 1,262 Likes on 917 Posts
Scam.

Very similar to a recent TLX Type S window sticker that had a "Lojack" charge even though AcuraLink already has a similar subscription service.
You'd be paying for roadside assistance twice!
Old 07-02-2021, 01:07 PM
Cruisin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Update... So I tried contacting my salesguy through email to ask about "secureride", and I heard back from the General Manager that my salesguy was no longer
working for the dealership and that he would be happy to answer any questions I had.

So I asked him about the secureride charge and how it was not mentioned prior to me paying my deposit, and what exactly was it for.

He replied with this...The Secureride fee is our dealership fee which includes administration fee ($399), nitrogen filled tires and 1 year tire and rim road hazard warranty ($199).
Basically, if you ever have a flat tire in the first year, just bring your vehicle to our store and we’ll either repair or replace the damaged tire at no cost to you.
Total $3000 coverage for the year – unlimited up to total coverage cost. Should you wish to waive the road hazard warranty, we would reduce this total fee to $399 only.