Securing a Type-S

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2021, 05:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
Always helps to be a customer of one dealer when it's time for the next one. I've purchased 9 Acuras since 2012...at times had 2 new ones at once. So, all I do is
call and tell my GM what I want, get a price, lock that in...takes less than 5 min, and we do my trade without them having to see it.
I am just the opposite I just shop price for what I want. My BWN purchase's were 1 from one of the two local dealers 2 from the other one, 2 from a dealer in OR, 1 from a dealer in SC & 1 from a dealer in GA. Service is a separate item as far as I am concerned. The local dealer has a pretty good shop & as long as I have no go-backs will continue to use them. As for the service departments personal customer service they let me swap off an aftermarket diffuser for the original part in the back of their yard. One of their guys came came out & gave me a soda without me asking for anything. Just a little thing but it was nice on a hot July day,

Have no real brand loyalty either as I have had most of the American makes except for Chrysler brands, 4 or so British makes, 1 German make, 1 Italian make 2 Japanese make & 1 Korean makes and some I might have forgotten.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 06-29-2021 at 05:26 PM.
Old 06-29-2021, 06:26 PM
Instructor

Received 337 Likes on 118 Posts
Little off topic but ranting a bit here good luck those trying to secure these getting the options you want. Dealer contacted me today and informed me that Acura didn't fulfill any customer requests, what they sent is what they sent and all they can sell me is Black... on top of that they said they won't be able to sell the Y spoke rims now or for the foreseeable future and for the cherry on top they said their demo is sold so they are not offering test drives. I pushed back a bit saying Acura expected those demos to be drivable and he said all Acura only makes them hold them for sixty days they are not forced to let people drive them, pure greedy bullshit. They are still selling for MSRP so there is that but otherwise what a shit show.
The following users liked this post:
Ghostof TypeS Past (07-04-2021)
Old 06-29-2021, 07:09 PM
Racer

Received 310 Likes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by DubPK
Little off topic but ranting a bit here good luck those trying to secure these getting the options you want. Dealer contacted me today and informed me that Acura didn't fulfill any customer requests, what they sent is what they sent and all they can sell me is Black... on top of that they said they won't be able to sell the Y spoke rims now or for the foreseeable future and for the cherry on top they said their demo is sold so they are not offering test drives. I pushed back a bit saying Acura expected those demos to be drivable and he said all Acura only makes them hold them for sixty days they are not forced to let people drive them, pure greedy bullshit. They are still selling for MSRP so there is that but otherwise what a shit show.
Heard the same about dealers just getting what they are sent. That's unfortunate about the Y spokes wheels. I might just have to cast a bigger net and be willing to drive for a dealer that gets what I'm looking for. Or wait until the 22s come out and hope the situation improves.
Old 06-29-2021, 07:15 PM
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 19 Posts
on top of that they said they won't be able to sell the Y spoke rims now or for the foreseeable future
This is super frustrating! I don't understand why Y spokes aren't available! They clearly had them on demo units and are producing for Canada. There's clearly an issue with supply chain. Just be honest and provide the dealers with the info. Ugh!
Old 06-29-2021, 07:18 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Camaro194
Heard the same about dealers just getting what they are sent. That's unfortunate about the Y spokes wheels. I might just have to cast a bigger net and be willing to drive for a dealer that gets what I'm looking for. Or wait until the 22s come out and hope the situation improves.
Yeah, I'm a reasonable and patient human being, if I still get the car I'd rather wait 6 months for what I want then settle to have it in 2. What really pisses me off is the test drive bullshit after being told multiple times that of course I'd be able to drive it before I purchase. Between driving the lower trims and the wonders of the modern internet I know basically exactly what to expect from the Type S but it's still unreasonable to buy a fifty thousand dollar car without driving it, Audi dealer had no problem letting me drive a S4. Dealers be dealers.
Old 06-29-2021, 07:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 224 Posts
Originally Posted by Camaro194
If you don't need a new car asap paying full msrp or more for what will be last years model year a few months after it finally gets delivered isn't all that great. Even better would be to wait till late next year and get a leftover as supply bottlenecks should be long gone by then and some incentives should be available. As the song goes "the waiting is the hardest part". As popular as the 3rd gen type S was I got a leftover one in early 2008 for nearly 7k off the 38.5k sticker at the time (the type S was not available in the 3rd gen for the 2004 to 2006 years) so there was some pent up demand. Not a decade plus worth though.Type S sales will be a small fraction of TLX sales just like it was the last time it was available. Many Acura buyers are stepping up from Honda and typically don't go for the higher priced TLX's.

I could be wrong but I think after the newness wears off they will not be difficult to secure and in time Acura dealers will be able to locate the color combo you want from another dealer if they don't have what you want on the lot. I suspect most buyers will be from the honda/acura/lexus ranks. Don't think too many Audi/BMW/Mercedes buyers will be switching over. There is no buzz at all that I have seen on the Audi forums for the type S. Can't say for BMW but suspect it is similar there too. BearA would probably know if there was any buzz there for it from that crowd.

On the other hand if you are trading in the high used car values do offset some of that pain paying full msrp. My CPO S5 I got 6 months ago when I traded in my A-Spec can't be had anywhere nationwide for the price I paid a short time ago (I did a search nationally of curiosity to see). It's all kinda crazy.

Old 06-29-2021, 09:38 PM
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by BOWA41
This is super frustrating! I don't understand why Y spokes aren't available! They clearly had them on demo units and are producing for Canada. There's clearly an issue with supply chain. Just be honest and provide the dealers with the info. Ugh!
Stated in Ohio as well.. reached out to a Marysville plant rep I ran into a few years ago.. crickets. No comments on the supply or issues with Y spoke.
Old 06-30-2021, 06:48 AM
Some Guy Who Loves Cars

Received 280 Likes on 173 Posts
Yeah, I'm a reasonable and patient human being, if I still get the car I'd rather wait 6 months for what I want then settle to have it in 2. What really pisses me off is the test drive bullshit after being told multiple times that of course I'd be able to drive it before I purchase. Between driving the lower trims and the wonders of the modern internet I know basically exactly what to expect from the Type S but it's still unreasonable to buy a fifty thousand dollar car without driving it, Audi dealer had no problem letting me drive a S4. Dealers be dealers.
I'll never forget back in 2010 or so, I wanted a Lexus CT. It was a brand new model, but Japan just had the tsunami or nuclear disaster that hit production hard for a few months. Lexus had none to sell. So I go to local dealer, who has a single black demo. Drove it. Was fine. Asked questions about buying. The demo wasn't for sale and the dealer had started a wait list for those who wanted one. Said getting on the list wouldn't guarantee me any color or trim. As CTs were delivered, dealer would offer them up to the wait list from top down and anyone who passed on any CTs that arrived would be moved to the bottom of the list. I said yeah, no thanks, I'm not putting money down on the first CT that arrives so I can buy the wrong color or trim. Said I'll come back if they receive the loaded one in the color I wanted rather than wait in their game of musical chairs. I don't know if they ever did, but by then, I wasn't going back to that dealer (still haven't to this day because of that) for either purchase or service.

Used or CPO is one thing. But dealers expecting you to buy a brand new car in the wrong color and without the options (rims or packages) you want - or to buy your way onto a wait list for dibs - is absolutely absurd to me.

Last edited by someguy11; 06-30-2021 at 06:58 AM.
Old 06-30-2021, 11:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jhb31
There is no buzz at all that I have seen on the Audi forums for the type S. Can't say for BMW but suspect it is similar there too. BearA would probably know if there was any buzz there for it from that crowd.
Am on 3 BMW forums M340, Z4 & M4. Not a peep on any TLX. Not surprised. Was here with my '06 TL waiting like others for the generation 4 TL to be released. When it was seen most that were waiting went German. Still the same trend here, a new TLX or a German car. Almost zero migration from German to TLX.

The clastic migration trend is Honda to Acura, then Acura to Acura, finally Acura to German. Only change I see from my going BMW is that currently Audi is doing very well among TLX owners making a brand change. They used to favor BMW. Like before MB gets very little play. Next up & comer looks to be Genesis as a between TLX & German pricing.

You really have to look to other high sort after cars introduction. Car like the original Mustang or every Corvette generation, some M series etc. Typically they are sold out for the first years production before they are even released. Most others have 4-6 months production sold. The current number of Type-S sold is very small in comparison to a high demand launch.

Would think a lot of dealers restriction on driving etc their demo cars and selling the demo car suggests they are hurting for cash flow after last year virus thing. They look to be getting the ADM while the limited gotta have it now buyer is still out there. The ADM should die an early death with other dealers not charging it.

Production restrictions. All options, colors, versions etc not being available at release of an all new model are common. Many Corvette buyers first on line with their deposits had to wait for the factory to produce what they wanted. More than a few unhappy campers.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 06-30-2021 at 11:13 AM.
sonyfever (07-04-2021)
Old 06-30-2021, 11:30 AM
Instructor

Yeah it's annoying but not completely unreasonable that the first batch couldn't be ordered to spec, however selling the demo immediately is just greedy. Found another Acura dealer that didn't sell their demo and is offering drives, if I go with the TLX they will get my business instead now. They got a quick sale selling the demo, and also lost one in me, I'm sure it's a wash at the end of the day but can't support that behavior.

TLX-S is still on my shortlist but if the S4/S5 gets a refresh for 2022 shedding some of the cruft the 2017 platform has accumulated there is a good chance I go that route instead, it's not much more and while the TLX-S is a good equivalent to the S4 today I feel like once the S4 is refreshed (pending no price increases) it wouldn't take much to make it the obvious better choice whereas today's models at least give a person pause.
Old 06-30-2021, 11:57 AM
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Yeah it's annoying but not completely unreasonable that the first batch couldn't be ordered to spec, however selling the demo immediately is just greedy. Found another Acura dealer that didn't sell their demo and is offering drives, if I go with the TLX they will get my business instead now. They got a quick sale selling the demo, and also lost one in me, I'm sure it's a wash at the end of the day but can't support that behavior.

TLX-S is still on my shortlist but if the S4/S5 gets a refresh for 2022 shedding some of the cruft the 2017 platform has accumulated there is a good chance I go that route instead, it's not much more and while the TLX-S is a good equivalent to the S4 today I feel like once the S4 is refreshed (pending no price increases) it wouldn't take much to make it the obvious better choice whereas today's models at least give a person pause.
Automotive News says redesigns for A5/S5 and A4/S4 in 2023. Would be rare for 2022 refresh also. Whenever I am in the market for a new vehicle, the refresh/design schedules for comparable cars always sets up a potential never ending wait and see cycle. I eventually chose one that’s been in it’s current life cycle long enough to as good as that interaction will be.
sonyfever (07-04-2021)
Old 06-30-2021, 02:29 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chargersix
Automotive News says redesigns for A5/S5 and A4/S4 in 2023. Would be rare for 2022 refresh also. Whenever I am in the market for a new vehicle, the refresh/design schedules for comparable cars always sets up a potential never ending wait and see cycle. I eventually chose one that’s been in it’s current life cycle long enough to as good as that interaction will be.
Absolutely, you could get caught up in a never ending cycle of waiting and seeing. No matter what you buy something more appealing to you will come out tomorrow. Like anything else there are just windows of time that open and shut for when a product is most appealing.
Chargersix (06-30-2021)
Old 07-01-2021, 04:12 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Acura can and does "request" that dealers follow a "program" to introduce a new model. But, they can't force the dealers to follow. Some think it's a good idea, like my dealer,
and others are very greedy and If someone wants the "show, tell, drive car" right now....they will sell it. Not much else can be said....other than what someone else has put out
there....and that is..on a "new car makeover" people want to drive before buying. That being said....most all C8 Corvette buyers bought them sight unseen...plus never had driven
the all new rear engine car!!! Still happening that way. Most dealers don't have C8 inventory to even look at.
Old 07-03-2021, 10:56 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
I am just the opposite I just shop price for what I want. My BWN purchase's were 1 from one of the two local dealers 2 from the other one, 2 from a dealer in OR, 1 from a dealer in SC & 1 from a dealer in GA. Service is a separate item as far as I am concerned. The local dealer has a pretty good shop & as long as I have no go-backs will continue to use them. As for the service departments personal customer service they let me swap off an aftermarket diffuser for the original part in the back of their yard. One of their guys came came out & gave me a soda without me asking for anything. Just a little thing but it was nice on a hot July day,

Have no real brand loyalty either as I have had most of the American makes except for Chrysler brands, 4 or so British makes, 1 German make, 1 Italian make 2 Japanese make & 1 Korean makes and some I might have forgotten.
OK, you are the opposite. Nothing wrong with that. And, probably...not my business...but, may have a lot more $$ to spread around. ?? Anyway....I like the friendship, the relationships I've built
at my Acura dealer. I do like Acuras, and many other cars. But, when I like something and it serves me well...or I enjoy driving it, etc, I go back. IF a "bad Acura model" would happen to appear,
then I wouldn't buy it. I enjoy Mustangs too. My current '21 GT, Perf. Pack with every option avail. is my 12th. Have a great Ford dealer I do bus with. The way I get treated there...well, it's even 'better
than my Acura dealer. Meaning, the Ford GM does things for me...my car...that my Acura dealer doesn't. So, when I want another Mustang...I pick up the phone! Life is easy that way when buying cars.

Sure is nice not buying from all over the country. I would one time for a special car like the new C8...which I'm kinda trying to secure, but, don't care if I don't make it happen. More people wanting
to buy than units avail. Most dealers want way over MSRP....BUT, I have found some Chevy dealers that sell them at MSRP....IF you can get one to even buy. Crazy time.
Old 07-13-2021, 12:08 PM
Intermediate

Well finally got a decent answer from my dealer today. A little frustrated as I really wanted a 2021 MY.

Email from dealer...You were/are in fact #2 on the list. The high performance tire package is in higher demand than Acura expected and they are a bit delayed for most dealers. I definitely did my part to get this vehicle for you as a 2021 but we did not get your car in a 2021. We are only allowed 4 2021s and at this time all of which are spoken for. None are the High Performance Package and none are Apex Blue with Ebony. We have 2 White ones, and 2 Modern Steels. But again, they are all sold. I expect your vehicle to be built in August. Once we have a date in our order system, we will let you know.
a35tl (07-13-2021)
Old 07-13-2021, 12:33 PM
Drifting

Received 1,237 Likes on 895 Posts
Translation: Someone was willing to pay ADM so we sold your car to someone else. We can give you the same deal on a '22 MY!
The following 3 users liked this post by ELIN:
BEAR-AvHistory (07-13-2021), dj5 (07-14-2021), vhtran (07-13-2021)
Old 07-13-2021, 01:33 PM
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 35 Posts
Mine just came in, dirty as all heck. Pretty disappointed I have to wait till Thursday for detailing to pick it up. Paying $1,376 for Y spoke wheels.
BOWA41 (07-13-2021)
Old 07-13-2021, 04:43 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Ghostof TypeS Past
Mine just came in, dirty as all heck. Pretty disappointed I have to wait till Thursday for detailing to pick it up. Paying $1,376 for Y spoke wheels.
Congrats! That's the route I'm going as well. Keep the original wheels for the winter setup.
BOWA41 (07-13-2021)
Old 07-14-2021, 11:17 AM
Air Vice Marshal

Received 300 Likes on 155 Posts
Based on the GM at my dealer (supposedly the #1 sales leader of all Acura dealers), I doubt yours will be built in August. All 2000 2021s are allocated (I don't know how many have been shipped) and the 2022's won't start production until Sept. He told me originally that he had 19 presold but was only getting 17, so I'd have to order one and shouldn't expect it before November.

More recently, I understand some of the presold buyers are backing out because they can't get the color they wanted. (I suspect that's an excuse in some cases, with buyer's remorse being a factor for some once they saw and drove one.
Old 07-14-2021, 01:48 PM
Car Enthusiast

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
There's one near my place, I may stop by and see if there's an ADM.

Old 07-15-2021, 08:22 AM
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts
I've mentioned this elsewhere on the forum - but my dealer initially had a $10K markup. They sold one car with the ADM. Since, they have sold 4 without. There are 3 more on order (Black/black, White/red, Blue/red) that are all being offered without MSRP. My dealer actually called me to let me know b/c I scoffed at the ADM. They will do the heated steering wheel for $750.

Considering it, but I can get a 2018 S4 loaded with 20K miles and CPO for the same price, or even a 2018 S6 with 45K miles (I know, turbo failure) for about the same with a 4-year CPO warranty.
Old 07-15-2021, 09:40 AM
Drifting

I don't know about you guys but if I wasn't in any pressure to get another car, I'd wait until the used car market dies down a bit (especially if I didn't have an expiring lease or my own car to trade).
vhtran (07-15-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 09:52 AM
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by ELIN
I don't know about you guys but if I wasn't in any pressure to get another car, I'd wait until the used car market dies down a bit (especially if I didn't have an expiring lease or my own car to trade).
Yeah, especially for the Type-S. I suspect we see improvements in the '22 and '23 MY, and that the value drops just like the German cars. Grab one off of lease and get it CPO.
Old 08-05-2021, 12:07 PM
Intermediate

Here's my latest and greatest update from my dealer...My district rep called me a few days ago and got a list from me with color options and names of our clients that have deposits on the vehicle. This way Acura can focus on making those particular vehicles. With the Covid stuff, microchip shortage and overwhelming demand for the Type S, Acura is making some changes in production to get us more units per month. I should have a much better idea next month. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
Old 08-05-2021, 12:14 PM
Racer

Well, that's something. Hoping for an update on mine in the next week or so.
BOWA41 (08-05-2021)
Old 08-05-2021, 04:34 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,143 Likes on 817 Posts
Here's my latest and greatest update from my dealer...My district rep called me a few days ago and got a list from me with color options and names of our clients that have deposits on the vehicle. This way Acura can focus on making those particular vehicles. With the Covid stuff, microchip shortage and overwhelming demand for the Type S, Acura is making some changes in production to get us more units per month. I should have a much better idea next month. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
Are they producing more than 2,000 units of 2021 MY TLX Type-S, or are they simply fulfilling their original target for the US market ?
Old 08-16-2021, 11:47 AM
Intermediate

Got an update today. A little better news today!

Your ears must be ringing. Today is the day we complete our next Apex Allocation for ordering all Acuras. They basically tell us what vehicles we are getting and we can request different vehicles we need unit by unit. I was pleasantly surprised to see that your Apex Blue/Ebony HPT Type S was already in the allocation! You were on my list of folks to message today so here I am. This means we should see your vehicle in our order report by the end of the week. It will take time before I know when we will have it but it is coming!!

Thank you again for your patience! This will be the first HPT Package we will receive so we are all excited for you!
Camaro194 (08-16-2021)
Old 09-16-2021, 12:10 PM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
I put down $1000 to secure a TLX type s in July. As of September 15 my dealer still can’t even tell me when the car will be built
Old 09-16-2021, 01:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by Jayellin
I put down $1000 to secure a TLX type s in July. As of September 15 my dealer still can’t even tell me when the car will be built
Have you asked your dealer to find one to swap with, or obtain from, another dealership in your spec? I’ve done that with at least one other Acura in the past.
Old 09-16-2021, 04:19 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jayellin
Best case scenario: You get your Type S after a LONG wait.

Most likely scenario: You get your $1000 back after you give up (cut your losses).

Worst case scenario: You wait for 6 months and still no car (Jan '22). That $1000 would have gone a long way in today's stock market.
ESHBG (09-19-2021)
Old 09-18-2021, 09:06 PM
Instructor

Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts
Marin Acura has a blue type S on the floor. wants 10K ADM on top. 74K sticker w/ carbon trim and underbody spoilers.....
Old 09-18-2021, 10:08 PM
Pro

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by FactoryMatt
Marin Acura has a blue type S on the floor. wants 10K ADM on top. 74K sticker w/ carbon trim and underbody spoilers.....
who would pay 74k for any car in this class? That’s just ridiculous!
The following 2 users liked this post by djhtsx:
KrylonBlue (09-19-2021), MarcoTLX (09-18-2021)
Old 09-19-2021, 03:36 AM
6G TLX-S

Originally Posted by djhtsx
who would pay 74k for any car in this class? That’s just ridiculous!
Good question. This is exactly the reason why the lonely car is still sitting on the dealer's floor unsold.

Old 09-19-2021, 06:46 AM
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by FactoryMatt
FFS, that's insane. You could buy a loaded M340i for $5K less than that.
The following 3 users liked this post by robnalex:
ESHBG (09-19-2021), FactoryMatt (09-19-2021), pyrodan007 (09-20-2021)
Old 09-19-2021, 09:05 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by robnalex
a c63 starts at 70k. These dealers are crazy.
ESHBG (09-19-2021)
Old 09-19-2021, 10:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 658 Likes on 355 Posts
We're still on the m340 bandwagon. There are other cars to compare if this thread was about comparisons.
Old 09-19-2021, 11:55 PM
6G TLX-S

No more comparisons please, because the mods will move posts or lock this thread.

Old 09-20-2021, 01:44 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
No more comparisons please, because the mods will move posts or lock this thread.
we are not comparing but simply saying it’s stupid to pay 70k for a type s that is priced out of its class
robnalex (09-20-2021)
Old 09-20-2021, 07:39 AM
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostTL09
We're still on the m340 bandwagon. There are other cars to compare if this thread was about comparisons.
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
LOL! Nobody's comparing, because there IS NO COMPARISON! The point is that one can buy a much better car for what some of these a-hole dealers are charging. Anyone who buys a Type-S at an inflated price either has too much money or too little brains.
BEAR-AvHistory (09-20-2021)
Old 09-20-2021, 12:27 PM
Suzuka Master

LOL! Nobody's comparing, because there IS NO COMPARISON! The point is that one can buy a much better car for what some of these a-hole dealers are charging. Anyone who buys a Type-S at an inflated price either has too much money or too little brains.
Yeah its not a real comparison because that is actually M550XI 4.4L V8 Twin Turbo money.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 09-20-2021 at 12:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Securing a Type-S