New Acura Dealership

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2022, 01:27 PM
Instructor

Received 175 Likes on 89 Posts
New Acura Dealership

Reddit
I wasn’t sure where to post this… the TLX thread is very active and since discussions has been had about Acura dealer service here. I think this would be appropriate.

“Today I saw some very cool info in our Acura system about the future of our brand moving forward. One thing reviewed was about dealerships and how Acura has come out with their newest design that is coming soon. Our new Acura store is being built in the next 6 months or so and I believe that our store is going to be one of the first to be featured with this new style. (Management somewhat confirmed this but didn't give full details). What do you guys think about upscaling the look of Acura dealers as a brand/image?”

Last edited by WTF.Acura; 01-16-2022 at 01:33 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by WTF.Acura:
BOWA41 (01-16-2022), Colorado Guy AF Ret. (03-01-2022), Legend2TL (01-18-2022), mapleloaf (03-20-2022), Tony Pac (01-16-2022)
Old 01-16-2022, 02:05 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts
I don’t think there’s anything really wrong with the current Acura physical space (though definitely not as classy as the Germans), but it’s the rest of the customer experience they need to shore up. Not having a formal loaner car program is criminal if they want to be a serious player, and at least around here the after sales experience leaves a lot to be desired. Customer retention seems to be an afterthought, and it’s almost as if they’re resigned to losing customers to the Germans and Lexus as they level up.
The following 3 users liked this post by fiatlux:
csmeance (01-17-2022), ESHBG (01-17-2022), leomio2.0 (01-17-2022)
Old 01-16-2022, 02:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by WTF.Acura
Reddit
I wasn’t sure where to post this… the TLX thread is very active and since discussions has been had about Acura dealer service here. I think this would be appropriate.

“Today I saw some very cool info in our Acura system about the future of our brand moving forward. One thing reviewed was about dealerships and how Acura has come out with their newest design that is coming soon. Our new Acura store is being built in the next 6 months or so and I believe that our store is going to be one of the first to be featured with this new style. (Management somewhat confirmed this but didn't give full details). What do you guys think about upscaling the look of Acura dealers as a brand/image?”
Looks nice not so much like a car dealership which is a good thing. For me a dealership is the last place I want to be. I buy through the internet, drop off the car for service & take a loaner. They text me when its done & I pick it up.
The following 3 users liked this post by BEAR-AvHistory:
F23A4 (01-16-2022), nist7 (01-17-2022), pyrodan007 (01-18-2022)
Old 01-16-2022, 04:11 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,146 Likes on 818 Posts
Not good. This means dealerships will have to cough up mega $$$$$ to upgrade to the new look. How can they recoup their upgrade expenses ? Through all of us as Acura customers !

The following users liked this post:
lumpulus (05-01-2022)
Old 01-16-2022, 04:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
While on a trip back to Jersey from SW Florida, I had to stop at Gettel Acura in Sarasota. I found this store to be on par with the BMW and Lexus stores I've generally experienced. (My home Acura store is more of a rustic style dealership with little resemblance to the other more corporate style ones in the area.)
Old 01-16-2022, 04:59 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,598 Likes on 961 Posts
This looks good. But my experience with Acura dealership in Canada is at par with Germans and other Japanese brands. If I am not mistaken, there is one Audi dealer that looks really good in MTL. But I have no issue with the current setup. If they improve and upgrade, why not
Old 01-16-2022, 07:00 PM
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 19 Posts
I really like that new look. Guess we're lucky in STL both dealers provide exceptional service and have updated and clean dealerships. Both also provide loaners.
Old 01-16-2022, 10:49 PM
Safety Car

On the topic of dealerships, interesting news for those in the Bay Area: the SF Honda location on Van Ness and Bush (formerly a Nissan/Infiniti dealership) now has a giant Acura sign out front as well. It looks like Victory Auto Group is going to be using that location to sell both Hondas and Acuras (I checked and they own the domain for sfacura.com). On one hand, I'm excited because as many people here probably know, my biggest gripe about Acura is the hit-or-miss dealership/customer service experience. Maybe we'll finally have an Acura dealership that doesn't nickle and dime customers in the after-sales experience (hopefully they're not just rehiring the folks and management from the other dealership that closed down). On the other hand, Victory's only other luxury dealership is Lexus of Monterey, so maybe they don't have much experience in this space. We'll see.
Old 01-17-2022, 11:20 AM
10th Gear

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
When I was at the dealer to test drive the TLX Type S I went to get a bottle of water and they tried to charge me a dollar for it (although they just gave it for free when they saw I had no cash). I was dumbfounded. I go to a Honda dealer for oil changes and there is free water, soda, coffee and snacks in the lobby there.
nist7 (01-17-2022)
Old 01-17-2022, 11:54 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts
No amount of glass, faux-fireplace, grey accents/flooring, Genius Bar looking table top, white walls, post modern chairs, etc. will replace the root of the problem: the traditional dealership car buying process. I'm not impressed.
The following 2 users liked this post by nist7:
csmeance (01-17-2022), pyrodan007 (01-18-2022)
Old 01-17-2022, 01:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 536 Likes on 345 Posts
Originally Posted by HitTheNOS
When I was at the dealer to test drive the TLX Type S I went to get a bottle of water and they tried to charge me a dollar for it (although they just gave it for free when they saw I had no cash). I was dumbfounded. I go to a Honda dealer for oil changes and there is free water, soda, coffee and snacks in the lobby there.
Old 01-17-2022, 01:47 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts
Precision Crafted Beverages
The following 3 users liked this post by nist7:
ESHBG (01-17-2022), HitTheNOS (01-17-2022), JDM_809 (01-29-2022)
Old 01-17-2022, 04:05 PM
Safety Car

I've had similar experiences contrasting Honda with Acura; the local Honda dealership is arguably as good (maybe even better) than the local Acura dealership before they closed down (good riddance). Shame on Acura corporate for not setting higher standards for their dealerships; you'd never see this kind of crap at an Audi/Mercedes/BMW/Lexus dealership.
Old 01-17-2022, 05:56 PM
AZ Community Team

wow! In Canada, all Acura dealers not just provide water but they have fruits, juice, amazing coffee and latte machine. Last but not least, tablets to browse and workstations to plug your laptop while waiting for service - a a beautiful fireplace
Old 01-17-2022, 06:42 PM
Drifting

Received 1,246 Likes on 904 Posts
That person probably saw "Don't Look Up" on Netflix and tried the trick the General used on JLaw and Dicaprio's characters.

If that happened to me, I would ask to speak to a General Sales Manager to see if that was a normal policy. If it was, I'd leave ASAP!
Old 01-17-2022, 07:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

They need to do something. I have many Acura dealerships here in the Philly area and have dealt with most, all were abysmal for one reason or another. And my bar is not high at all and I don't expect much but the stories I can tell...

Originally Posted by fiatlux
I've had similar experiences contrasting Honda with Acura; the local Honda dealership is arguably as good (maybe even better) than the local Acura dealership before they closed down (good riddance). Shame on Acura corporate for not setting higher standards for their dealerships; you'd never see this kind of crap at an Audi/Mercedes/BMW/Lexus dealership.
I think Acura is a bit of a sacrificial lamb at this point. Honda products keep getting better and pushing the envelope (the new Civic hatchback and SI are getting a lot of praise, for example) but Acura seems to be kept in this really bizarre limbo of not quite this but yet not quite that; I imagine with the move to EV there will be a total reinvention of the brand.
Carbon Pearl (03-22-2023)
Old 01-17-2022, 08:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Interesting the number of negative Acura comments on this thread. Yet they sell the shit out of MDX and RDXs.
The following 2 users liked this post by jjsC5:
Tony Pac (01-18-2022), WTF.Acura (01-18-2022)
Old 01-17-2022, 09:00 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jjsC5
Interesting the number of negative Acura comments on this thread. Yet they sell the shit out of MDX and RDXs.
Nissan also sells the shit out of their cars. Price price price. Historically, Acuras have significantly undercut the competition, enough that people could overlook the substandard soft product. Now that they’re selling $70K MDXs, we’ll see if that holds true.
ESHBG (01-18-2022)
Old 01-18-2022, 06:58 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,172 Likes on 2,590 Posts
+1, there's a small group of haters in the 2G TLX thread who generally only post negative Acura comments but they also tend to post a lot as well (click on the number of replies to a particular thread to see number of post counts per user and it's very apparent how many posts are being made in some cases by a select group).

To me in general, Acura have done very well in SUV's in that they are designed well and attract consistent buyers in that segment. That is not the case for the sedans and even the NSX.

FWIW, Donut had a pretty good video covering the good and bad history of Acura up to current times.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 01-18-2022 at 07:08 AM.
Old 01-18-2022, 07:13 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by F23A4
While on a trip back to Jersey from SW Florida, I had to stop at Gettel Acura in Sarasota. I found this store to be on par with the BMW and Lexus stores I've generally experienced. (My home Acura store is more of a rustic style dealership with little resemblance to the other more corporate style ones in the area.)
+1, I was at Laurel Acura in Maryland last week (getting some OEM wiper blades) and it's about the same as a Lexus dealership I went to recently with a friend. Only problem at both dealerships, no cars on the showroom floor.

Originally Posted by Tony Pac
wow! In Canada, all Acura dealers not just provide water but they have fruits, juice, amazing coffee and latte machine. Last but not least, tablets to browse and workstations to plug your laptop while waiting for service - a a beautiful fireplace
About the same as the Acura dealership I was in recently, Besides the lounge area they also had smaller private rooms (with glass walls for the customers to use their laptops and such). Only negative was the Coke's were just put in the fridge, was getting one for the road. Settled on a cappuccino instead for the road.
Old 01-18-2022, 08:53 AM
AZ Community Team

Well said!

Before the excuse was Acura is cheaper and now the new TLX is the same price as A4 and still sold more than A4. sold almost the same number of A4 and A5 combined lol!

The new MDX sold 60K units.
Old 01-18-2022, 09:11 AM
Drifting

Received 565 Likes on 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
+1, there's a small group of haters in the 2G TLX thread who generally only post negative Acura comments but they also tend to post a lot as well (click on the number of replies to a particular thread to see number of post counts per user and it's very apparent how many posts are being made in some cases by a select group).

To me in general, Acura have done very well in SUV's in that they are designed well and attract consistent buyers in that segment. That is not the case for the sedans and even the NSX.

FWIW, Donut had a pretty good video covering the good and bad history of Acura up to current times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO_i...nel=DonutMedia
So true. Sad to say it's been going on for years. They really become active when Acura fans on the board get excited about a new Acura model or new purchasers express their excitement/satisfaction with their new Acura product. Many I see on here casting slings and arrows at the Type S were doing the same thing when the 4G TL came out and tested favorably (in MT trim) to some of the competing German sedans of the day. I don't really get it, but hey, that's why there is the "ignore" button.
WTF.Acura (01-18-2022)
Old 01-18-2022, 01:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Nissan also sells the shit out of their cars. Price price price. Historically, Acuras have significantly undercut the competition, enough that people could overlook the substandard soft product. Now that they’re selling $70K MDXs, we’ll see if that holds true.
Exactly. Acura gave a lot of car for the money and they were generally reliable so if you had a subpar buying or service experience you didn't need to go back.

Last edited by ESHBG; 01-18-2022 at 01:58 PM.
Old 01-18-2022, 02:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Yeah pretty common here as there are two main mega dealers Leith & Hendrick who sell all the brands & once semi-mega thats based on Ford products along with some other brands finally a multi store Lexus operation.. Décor & freebies tend to go up the price of the cars. Think you need to take your shoes off to go into the Roll Royce dealership, but they will not let me in so I can't be sure.

Back to basics internet price, current allocation & no restriction loaners are all I care about.
Old 01-18-2022, 02:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
So true. Sad to say it's been going on for years. They really become active when Acura fans on the board get excited about a new Acura model or new purchasers express their excitement/satisfaction with their new Acura product. Many I see on here casting slings and arrows at the Type S were doing the same thing when the 4G TL came out and tested favorably (in MT trim) to some of the competing German sedans of the day. I don't really get it, but hey, that's why there is the "ignore" button.
Think the issue was it ran with the pack but the styling was not so good. Was universally panned in all the auto publications even those who liked the performance. I went German based on the styling not the performance. The validity of the of the negative comments was demonstrated in the sales numbers. The car lost 50% of its prior sedan sales first year out & never recovered. The performance did start to slip over time & the introduction of the 6MT in year two could not save it. Not sure can't remember if they pulled the MT at or the before the of the run. TLX came out all AT.

Most TL to other brand defections were over styling.
Old 01-25-2022, 12:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts
When I was at the dealer to test drive the TLX Type S I went to get a bottle of water and they tried to charge me a dollar for it (although they just gave it for free when they saw I had no cash). I was dumbfounded.
What the Hell
Old 01-25-2022, 12:45 AM
Burning Brakes

I don’t think there’s anything really wrong with the current Acura physical space (though definitely not as classy as the Germans),
Yeah, never really thought about it. Ours is fine. I say "just work on the cars".

But yeah, that just looks like the inside of our Audi dealership (and it's been there a while).

And yes, you get all the fancy coffee, water, and snacks as you can eat. I sat in a showroom R8 convertible.

We picked up some (genuine Audi) hats and bags we liked and they just let us have them (with purchase of the $50k car of course).
Old 01-27-2022, 08:42 PM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts
I don’t think there’s anything really wrong with the current Acura physical space (though definitely not as classy as the Germans), but it’s the rest of the customer experience they need to shore up. Not having a formal loaner car program is criminal if they want to be a serious player, and at least around here the after sales experience leaves a lot to be desired. Customer retention seems to be an afterthought, and it’s almost as if they’re resigned to losing customers to the Germans and Lexus as they level up.
My local Acura dealers have had a formal loaner program since I owned my 3G TL 18 years or so ago. Any service over 2 hours gets a loaner and now it seems like every service is a loaner if you want. I already had the new MDX the last time I dropped the wife's MDX off and have been in TLX both FWD and ASpec in the past year. I traded my 09 TL this past October, currently driving a 2021 Ridgeline, but interested in Type S as possible sporty driver, hoping they offer more customization for Type S models once NSX is out the way.

Also my dealer was updated in the last 6 years or so, open space etc. Another Acura dealer i use to go to for service switched ownership and is now side by side with Audi and Porsche dealer and they look identical inside.
Old 01-27-2022, 08:47 PM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Think the issue was it ran with the pack but the styling was not so good. Was universally panned in all the auto publications even those who liked the performance. I went German based on the styling not the performance. The validity of the of the negative comments was demonstrated in the sales numbers. The car lost 50% of its prior sedan sales first year out & never recovered. The performance did start to slip over time & the introduction of the 6MT in year two could not save it. Not sure can't remember if they pulled the MT at or the before the of the run. TLX came out all AT.

Most TL to other brand defections were over styling.
TL had one of the best interiors in its class in fact i believe it one a Wards best award and was a fun car to drive. It also looks like it aged well on the road today compared to some of the monstrosities out there. Styling was never a concern for me as I liked the in your face looks, in fact I got way more compliments from my 4G than i ever did from my 3G that was too understated. Ienjoyed mine for 12 years, it was far superior to the last TLX that was outright cheap

Last edited by MIKEYDRED; 01-27-2022 at 08:51 PM.
JM2010 SH-AWD (03-17-2022)
Old 01-27-2022, 09:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MIKEYDRED
My local Acura dealers have had a formal loaner program ... Any service over 2 hours gets a loaner and now it seems like every service is a loaner if you want.
Seemed to be that way at our Acura dealer as well. In our Texas city, we just have the one.
Old 01-27-2022, 10:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

My local Acura dealers have had a formal loaner program since I owned my 3G TL 18 years or so ago. Any service over 2 hours gets a loaner and now it seems like every service is a loaner if you want. I already had the new MDX the last time I dropped the wife's MDX off and have been in TLX both FWD and ASpec in the past year. I traded my 09 TL this past October, currently driving a 2021 Ridgeline, but interested in Type S as possible sporty driver, hoping they offer more customization for Type S models once NSX is out the way.

Also my dealer was updated in the last 6 years or so, open space etc. Another Acura dealer i use to go to for service switched ownership and is now side by side with Audi and Porsche dealer and they look identical inside.
This just shows the issue with the brand: the inconsistent experiences. My Acura dealership suddenly stopped the loaner program and didn't really tell you until you were there and it was oh yeah, about that. They also stopped some of the guarantees they had at purchase e.g. free lifetime state inspections when you purchased a new car. They were pretty quiet about that one also and one year it was yeah, we don't honor that anymore.

I haven't been back in years so I couldn't tell you what's going on now good or bad but I've dealt with a few others since (sales), all weren't good. About a year ago I was shopping for TLXs and there were two almost identical cars, one at an Acura dealership and one at a random Hyundai dealership, and sadly the Hyundai experience was light years better. I couldn't believe it, especially when you consider I was trying to trade in an Acura for an Acura
Old 01-27-2022, 11:45 PM
Safety Car

I mean that Acura doesn't have a formal loaner program. They let every dealership decide whether or not to offer one and doesn't provide any compensation or financial support, unlike most other luxury brands. Hence why a good number of Acura dealerships either do not offer a program, or charge for the cars.

Volvo is another one that doesn't have a formal program, which is my main annoyance with the brand.
ESHBG (01-28-2022)
Old 03-16-2022, 07:41 PM
Instructor

Received 175 Likes on 89 Posts
Looks like the info about a new design for Acura dealers was correct.

Has there been any change in facility image programs by Acura? What do dealers want to see change with regard to these programs?

Acura has just begun to show us some conceptual things related to the facility image program. Dealers have asked about — and Acura is responding to — what issues around electrification are being addressed in those plans. How many charging stations do you need? Not only in a current facility but if you were doing a totally new design. What does that facility need to look like related to electrification? Where are we going to store batteries? Those kinds of things. Those are really important things that I think all manufacturers are stepping into. It's going to be exciting to see how that comes together.
(Automotive News)
Old 03-17-2022, 09:17 AM
AZ Community Team

Has there been any change in facility image programs by Acura? What do dealers want to see change with regard to these programs?

Acura has just begun to show us some conceptual things related to the facility image program. Dealers have asked about — and Acura is responding to — what issues around electrification are being addressed in those plans. How many charging stations do you need? Not only in a current facility but if you were doing a totally new design. What does that facility need to look like related to electrification? Where are we going to store batteries? Those kinds of things. Those are really important things that I think all manufacturers are stepping into. It's going to be exciting to see how that comes together.
(Automotive News)
Amazing!

We have already amazing, actually better Acura dealers than Lexus and BMW in Montreal. if anyone here, in Montreal, go visit Lexus St-Laurent. You will be VERY "IMPRESSED". Don't forget to check their restroom, you will vomit.

Acura dealers are beyond classy, offers all the best amnesties that a buyer needs. Way to go Acura!

I have pictures of Acura and Lexus dealers. Will post when I get time.
Old 03-17-2022, 11:06 AM
Safety Car

Amazing!

We have already amazing, actually better Acura dealers than Lexus and BMW in Montreal. if anyone here, in Montreal, go visit Lexus St-Laurent. You will be VERY "IMPRESSED". Don't forget to check their restroom, you will vomit.

Acura dealers are beyond classy, offers all the best amnesties that a buyer needs. Way to go Acura!

I have pictures of Acura and Lexus dealers. Will post when I get time.
Yeah, it's too bad that's a generalization that isn't true across the board. Here in the SF Bay Area the dealers are bush-league. At least two of them don't offer loaners period, at least one charges for loaners, and the facilities are old. The Lexus dealerships are woefully outdated (most haven't been remodeled since they were built in the 90s), that's true, but so are a lot of the local Acura dealership:

Inside looks no different from an older Honda dealership.

Contrast that with the fancy pants Mercedes dealership down the road:

Or the fancy pants Audi dealership:

I just hope that along with a facelift, Acura will finally add some consistency around the soft product to ensure that every Acura customer gets a premium/luxury experience, not just folks lucky enough to live near a decent dealership. At least with Lexus, even though their facilities are old, their customer service is the best in the business.

Last edited by fiatlux; 03-17-2022 at 11:09 AM.
Old 03-17-2022, 11:41 AM
AZ Community Team

Yeah, it's too bad that's a generalization that isn't true across the board. Here in the SF Bay Area the dealers are bush-league. At least two of them don't offer loaners period, at least one charges for loaners, and the facilities are old. The Lexus dealerships are woefully outdated (most haven't been remodeled since they were built in the 90s), that's true, but so are a lot of the local Acura dealership:

Inside looks no different from an older Honda dealership.

Contrast that with the fancy pants Mercedes dealership down the road:

Or the fancy pants Audi dealership:

I just hope that along with a facelift, Acura will finally add some consistency around the soft product to ensure that every Acura customer gets a premium/luxury experience, not just folks lucky enough to live near a decent dealership. At least with Lexus, even though their facilities are old, their customer service is the best in the business.
I guess Acura is happy with their Canadian clients I will post the pictures of my dealer later and you will see.
Old 03-17-2022, 11:45 AM
Safety Car

I guess Acura is happy with their Canadian clients I will post the pictures of my dealer later and you will see.
Well, we already know Acura Canada seems to take care of their customers better (better equipped cars, actually warrantying the exploding rear hatch glass, etc.). Not to mention Acura Canada was the one who gave us the CSX that turned into the stellar 8G Civic. Seems like they know what they're doing. Acura USA...not so much.
Old 03-18-2022, 09:26 AM
AZ Community Team

(Automotive News)
the three closest Acura dealers to me have updated their facilities in the past ~6 years. Interiors are OK, definitely much better than the nearby Honda dealers. The interiors match what's expected for a upscale car brand in terms of amenities.

I'm always somewhat amused by some people who really get into what a dealership looks like, I do the majority of my own repairs/maintenance but what's most important to me for a dealership is price when I purchase and when in for service how good a quality the service tech did on the work. Majority of the service is for mounting and balancing tires and suspension alignment.

Ellicott City

Laurel Acura

Gathersburg Acura

Last edited by Legend2TL; 03-18-2022 at 09:30 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Legend2TL:
MarcoTLX (03-18-2022), WTF.Acura (03-19-2022)
Old 03-19-2022, 10:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
the three closest Acura dealers to me have updated their facilities in the past ~6 years. Interiors are OK, definitely much better than the nearby Honda dealers. The interiors match what's expected for a upscale car brand in terms of amenities.

I'm always somewhat amused by some people who really get into what a dealership looks like, I do the majority of my own repairs/maintenance but what's most important to me for a dealership is price when I purchase and when in for service how good a quality the service tech did on the work. Majority of the service is for mounting and balancing tires and suspension alignment.

Ellicott City

Laurel Acura

Gathersburg Acura
Unfortunately some of us have had to be in the dealership often so how it looks/feels is important. Also, you can't be a luxury brand when your dealership looks terrible. Yes, it's not every Acura dealership but therein lies the issue and they really need to up their consistency game.
Old 03-19-2022, 05:24 PM
Pro

Received 433 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by ESHBG
Unfortunately some of us have had to be in the dealership often so how it looks/feels is important. Also, you can't be a luxury brand when your dealership looks terrible. Yes, it's not every Acura dealership but therein lies the issue and they really need to up their consistency game.
It’s not just Acura, it’s pretty much every brand. With my BMW, one dealer didn’t give me a loaner, another gave me a Jeep Compass, and another gave me a BMW loaner. All those jobs required numerous days (fuel pump, new transmission, oil leaks).

Quick Reply: New Acura Dealership