I was wrong.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2023, 11:06 AM
7th Gear

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
Congrats! Your car looks awesome. Honestly, if no blue color available, I will go with black.

How is your experience so far with the car?
Thanks. So far the car has been great. Fastest car I have owned amd it’s a blast to drive. It’s too bad i currently have winter tires on it due to where I live. Can’t wait till Sumer comes and I can swap to the performance tires and wheels. TLX-S is my second black car. I had a black 1998 Prelude when I was younger. Black is a beautiful colour if taken care of. Very glad I drove it straight from the dealer to the detail shop to get PPF on full front. Also got ceramic coating by Gyeon and the gloss is insane. Summer can’t come soon enough.
The following 2 users liked this post by Yegtypes:
MarcoTLX (02-22-2023), Tony Pac (02-21-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 11:42 AM
Instructor

Received 337 Likes on 118 Posts
The black is still gorgeous! Congrats!
Old 02-21-2023, 12:20 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts
We're planning to flip my daughter to a front facing car seat sometime this year, so the small backseat is no longer a dealbreaker for the Type S. I went back for another test drive. If folks recall, I test drove it when it first came out over a year and a half ago (wow, time flies).

I came out of this test drive both more impressed and more disappointed than before.

I still like the interior, and the exterior I think is still best in class. I don't particularly care for the exterior dimensions, but I do like the more aggressive design. I think both the S5 SB and TLX Type S are the best lookers in the segment; one is more subdued and elegant, and the other is more aggressive. Can't go wrong with either.

The team that worked on the SH-AWD deserves a raise and a fat bonus. If there's one thing this car does better than every other car it competes with (yes, that includes the M340i), it is how the car handles and feels. The steering is way better than the BMW, turn in is quick and sharp and accurate, and SH-AWD makes this car oh so easy to drive fast in the twisties. This car reminds me a lot of the Evo X, which also had a supurb AWD that would make even the most ham-fisted driver look like a hero. What it does is downright magical given all the mass it needs to handle. It'd be nice if the car got a diet so it wouldn't be punching with one hand tied behind its back, but even so it's still fantastic.

If the SH-AWD team deserves a raise, then whichever team worked on the engine and transmission needs to get PIP'd. On my previous test drive I said the engine holds par, and while it wasn't a reason to buy the car, it's also not a dealbreaker. Well, I think I was a bit too generous. This engine is just...not good, especially for a Honda engine. For a Honda product, I expect the engine to be the best part of the car (there's a saying: when you buy a Honda, you're really buying an engine and they throw in the rest of the car for free). In this case, it's not just the lack of (relative) power; Honda engines have never been about big power, but they're still exciting and fun. This engine, however, falls short because of the lack of power and the way that it delivers the power. At the low-end and mid-range, the engine is decently punch, and isn't too far behind even the B58 in the pants-of-your-seat feel. However, the B58 just keeps pulling and pulling and pulling all the way to redline. Even the EA839 pulls well to redline. However, the Type S motor just falls flat north of 5000RPMs, and the transmission even short shifts a couple hundred RPMS short of redline. This is the least Honda-like engine that I've ever experienced in a Honda product. If you'er not going to make big power, you better tune it to be exciting, and in this case it's just not. To add insult to injury, they stick a big tach in front of you that goes all the way up to 8000RPMs, but a whole quarter of that is filled in with a big fat red block because it's past the redline. It's like a constant reminder of the engine's deficiencies.

The transmission is also annoying in that it won't hold a gear, and short shifts for you. Methinks the transmission team knew there's no power at the top end, and would just rather drop you down into the mid-range where there's more punch.

Brakes I still think are marvelous. I don't know why some folks don't like this particular brake-by-wire setup, but I think the braking feels is great.

All in all, I think what this car needs to be great is a larger turbo. The one they currenly use is just too small and runs out of steam. I'd happily trade some of the low-end and mid-range for more revs and more boost up top. In its current state it just lacks excitement. Honestly, I think if they gave this car a better engine (better turbo?) this could take down the M340i as the performance darling of the segment. It doesn't even need to be faster in a straight line, because the fun-to-drive quotient would be higher. Insane acceleration is already dominated by EVs anyways. The looks are there, the handling and steering is absolutely magnificent, the braking is good...it's just that the engine is not, and for a Honda product, that is very surprising and extremely frustrating because the car is sooooo close to being great.

Suffice to say, I'm going to have to pass again on it. Maybe the MMC will see a revised turbo or tune that will address the engine.

Last edited by fiatlux; 02-21-2023 at 12:23 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by fiatlux:
ESHBG (02-26-2023), leomio2.0 (02-21-2023), MarcoTLX (02-22-2023), sonyfever (02-25-2023), Tony Pac (02-21-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 01:16 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,598 Likes on 961 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
We're planning to flip my daughter to a front facing car seat sometime this year, so the small backseat is no longer a dealbreaker for the Type S. I went back for another test drive. If folks recall, I test drove it when it first came out over a year and a half ago (wow, time flies).

I came out of this test drive both more impressed and more disappointed than before.

I still like the interior, and the exterior I think is still best in class. I don't particularly care for the exterior dimensions, but I do like the more aggressive design. I think both the S5 SB and TLX Type S are the best lookers in the segment; one is more subdued and elegant, and the other is more aggressive. Can't go wrong with either.

The team that worked on the SH-AWD deserves a raise and a fat bonus. If there's one thing this car does better than every other car it competes with (yes, that includes the M340i), it is how the car handles and feels. The steering is way better than the BMW, turn in is quick and sharp and accurate, and SH-AWD makes this car oh so easy to drive fast in the twisties. This car reminds me a lot of the Evo X, which also had a supurb AWD that would make even the most ham-fisted driver look like a hero. What it does is downright magical given all the mass it needs to handle. It'd be nice if the car got a diet so it wouldn't be punching with one hand tied behind its back, but even so it's still fantastic.

If the SH-AWD team deserves a raise, then whichever team worked on the engine and transmission needs to get PIP'd. On my previous test drive I said the engine holds par, and while it wasn't a reason to buy the car, it's also not a dealbreaker. Well, I think I was a bit too generous. This engine is just...not good, especially for a Honda engine. For a Honda product, I expect the engine to be the best part of the car (there's a saying: when you buy a Honda, you're really buying an engine and they throw in the rest of the car for free). In this case, it's not just the lack of (relative) power; Honda engines have never been about big power, but they're still exciting and fun. This engine, however, falls short because of the lack of power and the way that it delivers the power. At the low-end and mid-range, the engine is decently punch, and isn't too far behind even the B58 in the pants-of-your-seat feel. However, the B58 just keeps pulling and pulling and pulling all the way to redline. Even the EA839 pulls well to redline. However, the Type S motor just falls flat north of 5000RPMs, and the transmission even short shifts a couple hundred RPMS short of redline. This is the least Honda-like engine that I've ever experienced in a Honda product. If you'er not going to make big power, you better tune it to be exciting, and in this case it's just not. To add insult to injury, they stick a big tach in front of you that goes all the way up to 8000RPMs, but a whole quarter of that is filled in with a big fat red block because it's past the redline. It's like a constant reminder of the engine's deficiencies.

The transmission is also annoying in that it won't hold a gear, and short shifts for you. Methinks the transmission team knew there's no power at the top end, and would just rather drop you down into the mid-range where there's more punch.

Brakes I still think are marvelous. I don't know why some folks don't like this particular brake-by-wire setup, but I think the braking feels is great.

All in all, I think what this car needs to be great is a larger turbo. The one they currenly use is just too small and runs out of steam. I'd happily trade some of the low-end and mid-range for more revs and more boost up top. In its current state it just lacks excitement. Honestly, I think if they gave this car a better engine (better turbo?) this could take down the M340i as the performance darling of the segment. It doesn't even need to be faster in a straight line, because the fun-to-drive quotient would be higher. Insane acceleration is already dominated by EVs anyways. The looks are there, the handling and steering is absolutely magnificent, the braking is good...it's just that the engine is not, and for a Honda product, that is very surprising and extremely frustrating because the car is sooooo close to being great.

Suffice to say, I'm going to have to pass again on it. Maybe the MMC will see a revised turbo or tune that will address the engine.
Genuinely, I want to thank you for this beautiful write up! I hope everyone takes a few min and reads your comment and not just fast forward it. Very well described and of course at the end of the day, it's the buyer choice. but your summary is excellent and honest.
The following users liked this post:
MarcoTLX (02-22-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 01:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 672 Likes on 417 Posts

I don’t have faith Acura will do that for the MMC. Maybe the next Gen, but doubtful even there. I think the next Gen will likely be a hybrid.

I really hope the aftermarket puts something out. Or heck, someone just swaps out the turbo. Agree 100% with you that this car just looks great rolling down the street.

If someone can put down ~450wHP (480 on KTuner’s ego dyno) down with this platform reliably, I’ll be at the dealership putting down a deposit and eating my words.
Old 02-21-2023, 01:17 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Yegtypes
Thanks. So far the car has been great. Fastest car I have owned amd it’s a blast to drive. It’s too bad i currently have winter tires on it due to where I live. Can’t wait till Sumer comes and I can swap to the performance tires and wheels. TLX-S is my second black car. I had a black 1998 Prelude when I was younger. Black is a beautiful colour if taken care of. Very glad I drove it straight from the dealer to the detail shop to get PPF on full front. Also got ceramic coating by Gyeon and the gloss is insane. Summer can’t come soon enough.

Of course! In Quebec and Alberta, winter tires are mandatory Enjoy your gorgeous car!
Old 02-25-2023, 03:31 PM
Drifting

Received 1,246 Likes on 904 Posts
Nice review! Folks like me who have complained about the braking has more to do with not being able to perform a "limo stop". Even the gentlest stop gets some lurching forward from the car (not great for folks who have motion sickness).

Personally, I think you may miss the extra legroom in the back if you switched from your Integra to the TLX (not to mention ease of parking in urban areas). I've bumped my head a couple times when buckling kids in the TLX ceiling due to how low the car is. I definitely don't miss that anymore!
Old 02-25-2023, 05:35 PM
Instructor

Received 337 Likes on 118 Posts
Nice writeup! Hope you find the car that suits you best!

I will say, in slight defense of the engine, this is just a byproduct of the turbo era combined with Honda's typically conservative approach to power. I've had an 87 Accord, a 91 Prelude, 9th Gen Accord V6 and the type s is my first Acura product and yeah some of that signature Honda is gone now. Gone are the days of revving out my old Prelude to 8 grand or whatever the redline was or even the glorious J35 in my Accord that loved to scream. Turbos, which are mostly a product of regulations and efficiency/emissions standards than purely for performance, generally change the nature of the engine with all of the power being produced at lower RPM's and when you consider that, I'm sure you COULD rev the J30AC out well past 6000 without risk of damaging it but there's no point to doing so and overall acceleration would probably decrease as a result of the turbo falling off.

Considering that and looking at the transmission again, I think it's one of the best Honda transmissions I've ever had. It shifts lightning quick, rev matches on down shifts, knows exactly what gear to keep the car in for maximum power generally and downshifts generously when you'd expect it to like slowing down a bit for a curve and then it's right there in a lower gear ready to pull you out. It's honestly got to be one of the best transmissions Honda has ever put out (minus supercars) when you look at the overall picture of what it's trying to do (minus auto shifting in manual mode that's always disappointing).

The most disappointing thing is that Honda may have been a little too conservative with the power and boost but I think even a stage 1 ktuner goes a long ways based on some initial impressions I've read and I can't help but think they knew anyone serious about performance would tweak it to their liking which played into the more conservative and likely more reliable factory settings they rolled with.

The old Honda where you rev the piss out of the motor and listen to that signature vtec scream to get all of your power is dead and gone for better or worse.
Old 02-25-2023, 07:22 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DubPK
Nice writeup! Hope you find the car that suits you best!

I will say, in slight defense of the engine, this is just a byproduct of the turbo era combined with Honda's typically conservative approach to power. I've had an 87 Accord, a 91 Prelude, 9th Gen Accord V6 and the type s is my first Acura product and yeah some of that signature Honda is gone now. Gone are the days of revving out my old Prelude to 8 grand or whatever the redline was or even the glorious J35 in my Accord that loved to scream. Turbos, which are mostly a product of regulations and efficiency/emissions standards than purely for performance, generally change the nature of the engine with all of the power being produced at lower RPM's and when you consider that, I'm sure you COULD rev the J30AC out well past 6000 without risk of damaging it but there's no point to doing so and overall acceleration would probably decrease as a result of the turbo falling off.

Considering that and looking at the transmission again, I think it's one of the best Honda transmissions I've ever had. It shifts lightning quick, rev matches on down shifts, knows exactly what gear to keep the car in for maximum power generally and downshifts generously when you'd expect it to like slowing down a bit for a curve and then it's right there in a lower gear ready to pull you out. It's honestly got to be one of the best transmissions Honda has ever put out (minus supercars) when you look at the overall picture of what it's trying to do (minus auto shifting in manual mode that's always disappointing).

The most disappointing thing is that Honda may have been a little too conservative with the power and boost but I think even a stage 1 ktuner goes a long ways based on some initial impressions I've read and I can't help but think they knew anyone serious about performance would tweak it to their liking which played into the more conservative and likely more reliable factory settings they rolled with.

The old Honda where you rev the piss out of the motor and listen to that signature vtec scream to get all of your power is dead and gone for better or worse.
It’s true that high revving VTEC engines are no more, but it doesn’t mean turbo motors can’t still be engaging and (relatively) high revving. The B58 motor for instance has a redline at 7000RPMs and pulls hard all the way through the powerband. That’s even a smidge higher than the redline for the J35 in the 3G Type S.
Old 02-26-2023, 12:11 PM
Air Vice Marshal

Received 300 Likes on 155 Posts
<big snip>

It needs more than a bigger turbo and a tune. It needs new cylinder heads. The intake ports are very small to keep the velocity up at low RPM to minimize turbo lag. The turbo and throttle body are sized to match. It does help at the bottom end, which probably makes most people happy because it feels peppier around town. It just annoys people like you and me when it runs out of breath well below its (too low) redline and shifts whether you like it or not.
Old 02-26-2023, 02:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 225 Posts
Don't get carried away, The type S is a nice bump in performance on the base model TLX but it is really far away from anything close to the performance of the M340i. It's not even close. The M340i is for the more performance oriented buyer/driver. I would think most M340i buyers wouldn't go for a type S as they are targeted at very different buyers. I would venture that most Type S buyers previously had a honda (acura). I personally want a more comfortable ride than the M340 offers but still want very good performance without a boy racer look which can be subjective. Just don't want to feel every bump in the road to get to that sub 4 second 0-60 that the M340 gives you.
MarcoTLX (02-26-2023)
Old 02-26-2023, 03:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 389 Likes on 271 Posts
Nice review +1. I think for the powertrain, you need to take a step forward and look at it in its own right, then you can start to appreciate it.

J30AC... IMHO there are many design quirks (like the turbo piping/sizing and compact head you guys mentioned) that I don't understand if the goal is to have maximum performance. The engine indeed is forgettable on its own. What saved the show is the Type-S 10AT. The transmission is tuned to match the engine's characters well. Forget about manually shifting every gear, let the transmission do its job, with occasional pedal pulls for kickdown, and the powertrain starts to sing.The Type-S 10AT is infinitely quicker than the vanilla 10AT in gear selection and gear change. It keeps the engine in its ideal range more often than not, and does so more seamlessly. Having weaker top-end is really not a problem at all power-wise, because the fast upshift (in Acura's world) and tight gear ratios means the power you get at the next gear may actually be more than if you hang on to the redline.

I have been wondering why Honda cannot match BMW engines in the turbo era. I think it comes down to cost. My theory is that BMW run higher compression ratio, thus making more powerful off-boost. BMW then use air-to-water intercooler, so they can run more boost without the need to inject more fuels to cool the mixture. BMW also use twin-scroll turbo, which is more responsive by design. Finally Valvetronic might be an advantage because the throttle plate is always opened hence less resistance. Obviously, these choices bring extra cost, and I am not counting the higher pressure fuel injection on BMW.
Old 02-26-2023, 09:47 PM
Pro

Received 542 Likes on 265 Posts
It’s true that high revving VTEC engines are no more, but it doesn’t mean turbo motors can’t still be engaging and (relatively) high revving. The B58 motor for instance has a redline at 7000RPMs and pulls hard all the way through the powerband. That’s even a smidge higher than the redline for the J35 in the 3G Type S.
Good write up but equivalent M340 in Canada is $20K more. That's right 20K! Take that into consideration and do a final judgement on your review. Tunes for the S are just starting to roll out. Not saying they will beat the 340 but should be close. If you want to go faster you will need to upgrade the turbo, no doubt. S is my daily driver, sure more power is welcome but I don't need to be in 3 sec range 0-60.

The following 3 users liked this post by dmski:
BBRL (02-27-2023), MarcoTLX (02-27-2023), Tony Pac (02-27-2023)
Old 02-26-2023, 10:41 PM
Safety Car

Y'all need to re-read what I wrote more closely. I never said it needed to be more powerful or faster than an M340i. All I said is that the car would be more engaging to drive if the power delivery was more linear and even, like that of the M340i. Of course, doing so would also likely make the car faster than it currently is, but I will repeat: "[The Type S] doesn't even need to be faster in a straight line, because the fun-to-drive quotient would be higher [than that of the M340i]." I don't believe a more linear power delivery is a cost issue; seems more like a conscious decision to make to prioritize low-end and mid-range.

As for the question about performance: performance goes beyond just being fast in a straight line. Yes, the M340i is faster in a straight line, but a Model 3 Performance is even faster in a straight line. Does that make the Tesla a better performance car than the M340i? No, because the M340i will easily outhandle the Tesla even if it's slower. I contend it's the same for the Type S. I've gotten a chance to hoon the M340i (actually M440i but tomato tomahto) and the steering is just really numb. Grip was fine but it was really hard to tell what the front tires were doing; there's just no tactile feel. Maybe for folks who just like going into a straight line, the M340i will also be a better performance car, but for folks who actually like turning the steering wheel, the gap is much closer. Give the Type S a better motor and even if it's still slower in a straight line, it could very well be the enthusiast car of choice because of the entire performance package (think about how the Caymen is a better performance car than many other cars faster than it in a straight line). The steering and handling really is that good, and for the BMW it really is that bad.

Last edited by fiatlux; 02-26-2023 at 10:45 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by fiatlux:
leomio2.0 (02-27-2023), MarcoTLX (02-27-2023), Tony Pac (02-27-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 12:46 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,146 Likes on 818 Posts
Originally Posted by DubPK

One can only appreciate and use that screaming 7,000 rpm VTEC engine power if the car is equipped with a manual gearbox. An automatic gearbox will ruin all that fun.

But with the modern Honda/Acura turbo engines that pack tons of more usable low-to-mid rpm torque, it becomes more civilized to drive a car equipped with an automatic gearbox without the need for the tranny to kick down a few gears in order to get some decent engine power. The only drawback is the miniscule turbo lag effect that can only eliminated by using superchargers instead of turbochargers.

Old 02-27-2023, 08:42 AM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by sonyfever
Nice review +1. I think for the powertrain, you need to take a step forward and look at it in its own right, then you can start to appreciate it.

J30AC... IMHO there are many design quirks (like the turbo piping/sizing and compact head you guys mentioned) that I don't understand if the goal is to have maximum performance. The engine indeed is forgettable on its own. What saved the show is the Type-S 10AT. The transmission is tuned to match the engine's characters well. Forget about manually shifting every gear, let the transmission do its job, with occasional pedal pulls for kickdown, and the powertrain starts to sing.The Type-S 10AT is infinitely quicker than the vanilla 10AT in gear selection and gear change. It keeps the engine in its ideal range more often than not, and does so more seamlessly. Having weaker top-end is really not a problem at all power-wise, because the fast upshift (in Acura's world) and tight gear ratios means the power you get at the next gear may actually be more than if you hang on to the redline.

I have been wondering why Honda cannot match BMW engines in the turbo era. I think it comes down to cost. My theory is that BMW run higher compression ratio, thus making more powerful off-boost. BMW then use air-to-water intercooler, so they can run more boost without the need to inject more fuels to cool the mixture. BMW also use twin-scroll turbo, which is more responsive by design. Finally Valvetronic might be an advantage because the throttle plate is always opened hence less resistance. Obviously, these choices bring extra cost, and I am not counting the higher pressure fuel injection on BMW.
The Type S is also a twin scroll turbo. The problem with Acura is the turbo is rather small, the engine layout adds for a tight plumping design to feed turbo and the elephant in the room is the FWD layout, Acura torque limits the first few gears to protect the SHAWD from probable failure.

The transverse layout also makes it impossible to add 48V tech etc like the Germans have. I wonder if there is a way they can incorporate the tech now that the battery has moved to the rear? The system would still need to be tied in to the turbo somehow.
Old 02-27-2023, 12:40 PM
AZ Community Team

Quick question:
Why did Acura use twin scroll vs. twin turbo? a bigger engine to produce more power relative to the weight of the car? I am not an engineer and honestly don't know the answer.
Cost?
Reliability and longevity?
Or other reasons?

Old 02-27-2023, 12:44 PM
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts
Quick question:
Why did Acura use twin scroll vs. twin turbo? a bigger engine to produce more power relative to the weight of the car? I am not an engineer and honestly don't know the answer.
Cost?
Reliability and longevity?
Or other reasons?
My understanding of the twin scroll is it engages the turbo at lower RPM’s to improve torque etc.
Tony Pac (02-27-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 02:29 PM
Safety Car

A twin-scroll turbo is going to be cheaper and less complex than a sequential twin turbo setup. For an inline-six like the B58, a single twin-scroll makes a lot of sense because of the added complexity of hooking up two turbos to a single exhaust manifold. The benefit of a sequentail twin turbo (if there even is one) would be fairly incremental and not worth it.

In the case of the Acura's V6, they could have more easily went with twin turbo setup (either parallel or sequential), but a sequential twin turbo probably wasn't worth the extra cost, and a parallel twin turbo would have made big power but perhaps pushed the car well beyond the target they had. If they ever make a competitor to the top-tier performance models, you'd bet they'd have to use a twin turbo, but alas that seems like it'd never happen

A single twin scroll turbo is a good alternative to sequential twin turbos, but it's never going to stack up with parallel twin turbos. There's a reason why the M3, C63, RS5, and Giulia QV all use twin-turbos and not twin-scroll.

Last edited by fiatlux; 02-27-2023 at 02:35 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by fiatlux:
bilirubin (02-27-2023), MarcoTLX (02-27-2023), Tony Pac (02-27-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 04:17 PM
AZ Community Team

A twin-scroll turbo is going to be cheaper and less complex than a sequential twin turbo setup. For an inline-six like the B58, a single twin-scroll makes a lot of sense because of the added complexity of hooking up two turbos to a single exhaust manifold. The benefit of a sequentail twin turbo (if there even is one) would be fairly incremental and not worth it.

In the case of the Acura's V6, they could have more easily went with twin turbo setup (either parallel or sequential), but a sequential twin turbo probably wasn't worth the extra cost, and a parallel twin turbo would have made big power but perhaps pushed the car well beyond the target they had. If they ever make a competitor to the top-tier performance models, you'd bet they'd have to use a twin turbo, but alas that seems like it'd never happen

A single twin scroll turbo is a good alternative to sequential twin turbos, but it's never going to stack up with parallel twin turbos. There's a reason why the M3, C63, RS5, and Giulia QV all use twin-turbos and not twin-scroll.
Thanks! This is helpful. Really had no idea.
Old 02-27-2023, 04:48 PM
Pro

Received 499 Likes on 244 Posts

Part of me thinks Acura was hesitant to push the horsepower right off the bat as they were concerned the SH-AWD drivetrain might not be able to handle it.
Old 02-27-2023, 05:02 PM
Burning Brakes

I really hope somebody goes and sticks a slightly larger turbo under the hood of the TLX-S to see what she can handle. P2R seems like the only real ones who have been heavily developing things for the TLX-S. With the KTuner tunes out, hopefully they (or anyone else) can start moving into the realm of a turbo upgrade.
Old 02-27-2023, 09:41 PM
Pro

Received 542 Likes on 265 Posts
Thanks! This is helpful. Really had no idea.
If you are looking for serious horse power gains having a big single turbo is a better set up. Less complicated, less piping and so on. If you are not going for huge gains twin turbo set up is ok.
Old 02-27-2023, 09:42 PM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

True, but heat would be an issue with a transverse layout twin turbo engine as well. The engine bay is already a nightmare with the turbo sitting on top, imagine plumbing for two turbos.
The real reason likely for the smaller turbo was to minimize turbo lag, without the need to keep boost high they went with smaller turbo.
My theory is, this was a last minute change by the beancounters the original turbo V6 was supposed to have a timing chain from the schematics that were leaked. Also given the target cars the TLX-S was benchmarking and the weight of the car there had to be more grunt to push this thing. They were going German head hunting I believe but something changed either EV shift cut engine budget or they ran into technical issues with powertrain that wasnt worth figuring out, which was reason for delay at launch. There is no way they built a whole new engine plant for a reworked J30 that they could have built on the same assembly line, but of course we will never know.
Old 02-27-2023, 11:42 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MIKEYDRED
True, but heat would be an issue with a transverse layout twin turbo engine as well. The engine bay is already a nightmare with the turbo sitting on top, imagine plumbing for two turbos.
The real reason likely for the smaller turbo was to minimize turbo lag, without the need to keep boost high they went with smaller turbo.
My theory is, this was a last minute change by the beancounters the original turbo V6 was supposed to have a timing chain from the schematics that were leaked. Also given the target cars the TLX-S was benchmarking and the weight of the car there had to be more grunt to push this thing. They were going German head hunting I believe but something changed either EV shift cut engine budget or they ran into technical issues with powertrain that wasnt worth figuring out, which was reason for delay at launch. There is no way they built a whole new engine plant for a reworked J30 that they could have built on the same assembly line, but of course we will never know.
Good point, I keep forgetting that this a transverse engine and not a good ol' longitudinal one. Yet another consequence of having a FWD based setup
Old 02-28-2023, 02:30 AM
6G TLX-S

For reference, the Porsche Cayenne has a whole bunch of engine options. One of them is a 3.0L twin-scroll single-turbo V6, and another is a 2.9L twin-turbo V6. I believe this is the best way to compare single-turbo 3L-V6 and twin-turbo 3L-V6 engines using similar Porsche engine technologies.

The Porsche 3.0L twin-scroll single-turbo V6 generates 335hp, which is exactly same as the output generated by the Acura 3.0L twin-scroll single-turbo V6 engine.

However, all hell breaks loose with the twin-turbo V6. The Porsche 2.9L twin-turbo V6 generates 434hp, which is almost 100 hp more than the single-turbo V6 even with 100cc smaller displacement. The Acura 3.5L twin-turbo V6, as used on the NSX, cranks out 520hp.

So if Acura is willing to drop in a twin-turbo V6 into the Type-S machines, it will definitely has a winning hand.

The following 3 users liked this post by Edward'TLS:
bilirubin (02-28-2023), MarcoTLX (02-28-2023), Tony Pac (02-28-2023)
Old 02-28-2023, 08:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
For reference, the Porsche Cayenne has a whole bunch of engine options. One of them is a 3.0L twin-scroll single-turbo V6, and another is a 2.9L twin-turbo V6. I believe this is the best way to compare single-turbo 3L-V6 and twin-turbo 3L-V6 engines using similar Porsche engine technologies.

The Porsche 3.0L twin-scroll single-turbo V6 generates 335hp, which is exactly same as the output generated by the Acura 3.0L twin-scroll single-turbo V6 engine.

However, all hell breaks loose with the twin-turbo V6. The Porsche 2.9L twin-turbo V6 generates 434hp, which is almost 100 hp more than the single-turbo V6 even with 100cc smaller displacement. The Acura 3.5L twin-turbo V6, as used on the NSX, cranks out 520hp.

So if Acura is willing to drop in a twin-turbo V6 into the Type-S machines, it will definitely has a winning hand.
Twins will come at an increased cost in both parts and engineering. They will have to figure out room for the extra turbo + the extra plumbing.

That being said, the folks in the MKIV Supra community largely move to single turbos for the cost & simplicity, while still maintaining the potential to make some stupid levels of power. Hopefully somebody will stick a larger snail in the TLX-S soon.
Old 02-28-2023, 08:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 389 Likes on 271 Posts
One can only appreciate and use that screaming 7,000 rpm VTEC engine power if the car is equipped with a manual gearbox. An automatic gearbox will ruin all that fun.
You haven't driven 1G TSX. Its 5AT is the best implementation in an Acura because there is no auto upshift, no nothing. The 5AT follows your command faithfully, and with bolt-on mods it shifts like a MT and the gear change is reasonably fast for what it is.
Old 02-28-2023, 01:09 PM
Air Vice Marshal

Received 300 Likes on 155 Posts

[SNIP]
The Acura 3.5L twin-turbo V6, as used on the NSX, cranks out 520hp.

After they upgrade the transmission, SH-AWD and other drivetrain bits to survive all that power it will also cost as much as the much hated Germans. And weigh even more than it already does.
Old 02-28-2023, 05:08 PM
Pro

Received 433 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by mike03a3
After they upgrade the transmission, SH-AWD and other drivetrain bits to survive all that power it will also cost as much as the much hated Germans. And weigh even more than it already does.
How much power can the current TLX Type S drivetrain handle?
Old 02-28-2023, 09:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 666 Likes on 359 Posts
Originally Posted by richii0207
How much power can the current TLX Type S drivetrain handle?
Five Hunnit Fitty!
Old 03-01-2023, 08:28 AM
6G TLX-S

Originally Posted by sonyfever
You haven't driven 1G TSX. Its 5AT is the best implementation in an Acura because there is no auto upshift, no nothing. The 5AT follows your command faithfully, and with bolt-on mods it shifts like a MT and the gear change is reasonably fast for what it is.
No, I haven't driven the 1G TSX. But for Honda/Acura auto trannies (except DSG trannies), upshift is not an issue, the slow downshift is, especially that the naturally aspirated engines need to be in the high rpm band to let out maximum power.

The xAT isn't able to do lightning quick downshifts as DSG trannies. Even in the paddle mode, it will take a second to two for the auto trannies to downshift a gear or two to get instant power.

I have great respect with the TSX. The RealTime TSX had won 4 Constructors' Championships back in the 2000's in SCCA - World Challenge Cup. However, the winning TSX wasn't using the factory auto transmission. It used a semi-auto gearbox, similar to the ones used in F1, which could do upshifts and downshifts in within a fraction of a second.