I test drove a demo Type S at my dealer and…..

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2021, 06:52 PM
Drifting

Received 1,246 Likes on 904 Posts
Originally Posted by jjsC5
I can’t speak for others, but I can speak for myself. I deal directly with the GM of the BMW dealer. My numbers are always with zero down. I get Invoice plus $200 then deduct any incentives and no BS fees. On leases I get the “base” money factor with no markup. I do roll in taxes which in my case is after a trade. Here in Texas we have to pay sales tax on the entire “purchase” price of the car, then less the trade if there is a trade. Most states only have sales tax on the monthly payment.
Is that "dealer invoice" or the invoice you can find on the internet? Dealer invoice can be hundreds of dollars more due to advertising, holdbacks, etc!
Old 06-30-2021, 07:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by ELIN
Is that "dealer invoice" or the invoice you can find on the internet? Dealer invoice can be hundreds of dollars more due to advertising, holdbacks, etc!
Advertising is a legit cost if it’s in the invoice. Holdbacks is a whole different story. I don’t care to get into the subject because I assume you understand them and what they were originally designed for. I am very aware of what they are. I have a business degree and I have run profit and loss centers. I understand that dealers have to make a profit.

The industry I was in had a variety of backside incentives from suppliers. The last five years my job was largely negotiating those deals and maximizing how much we got back. I also spent most of my career writing and managing contracts with very large customers. It was not unusual for those customers to want us to share the backside incentives with them. The answer was always a hard “no”. We were a very low net profit industry. Those incentives made up most of our net profit because the salesman did not see that in their gross margin that they were paid on.
The following users liked this post:
ELIN (06-30-2021)
Old 07-05-2021, 07:44 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Guys, I'm with SinCity....I went to test drive a Type S on Friday. It was just OK. I wound up getting a TLX Aspec for $24,000 less with SH AWD and the beautiful red interior. I just couldn't justify the extra cost of the Type S. And they gave me $6,000 for my 2007 Type S with 144,000 miles on the clock. Got a TERRIFIC price on the TLX Aspec (it's the 3rd Acura I've purchased from this dealership).

At the end of the day, the Type S just wasn't worth the extra money....
The following 5 users liked this post by Steven Bell:
04WDPSeDaN (07-05-2021), ELIN (07-05-2021), F23A4 (07-05-2021), KidK (07-07-2021), StealthTL-S (07-14-2021)
Old 07-05-2021, 08:39 PM
Instructor

Received 337 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Guys, I'm with SinCity....I went to test drive a Type S on Friday. It was just OK. I wound up getting a TLX Aspec for $24,000 less with SH AWD and the beautiful red interior. I just couldn't justify the extra cost of the Type S. And they gave me $6,000 for my 2007 Type S with 144,000 miles on the clock. Got a TERRIFIC price on the TLX Aspec (it's the 3rd Acura I've purchased from this dealership).

You got a brand new TLX Aspec AWD for $29,000? That's an incredibly good deal and like $17,000 below MSRP. Either that or that $24,000 difference on the Type S was created by ADM possibly?
Old 07-05-2021, 08:52 PM
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by DubPK
You got a brand new TLX Aspec AWD for $29,000? That's an incredibly good deal and like $17,000 below MSRP. Either that or that $24,000 difference on the Type S was created by ADM possibly?
Impossibly good deal unless the sales guy and the manager had simultaneous strokes Hell I don't think nowadays with the whole chip shortage blah blah you could even get an Accord Touring for $29k.
(for the audience the A-Spec MSRP is only $6k less than the Type-S)
Old 07-05-2021, 09:11 PM
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by bilirubin
I've driven my friend's IS350 multiple times so I highly doubt this. The IS350 is slower than an Accord, both objectively and subjectively (i.e. "feels" slower).
And my dealer sold all 6 of their Type S models for MSRP, no markups.
And an IS350 F-sport (package 3) costs MORE than a Type S, so I highly doubt the IS500 will be the "same price"
First of all you can’t make a definitive answer on which is faster by feel. I also said they were charging a $10000 premium, so yes it will cost as much as an IS500. Read before you write some stupid remark.
04WDPSeDaN (07-06-2021)
Old 07-05-2021, 09:17 PM
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Not even close to being worth the extra money. It’s supposed to be a performance oriented enthusiasts car, and all it really is, is a sight lily peppier TLX V6. Who cares about getting an extra few ponies in a car like this as it isn’t a performance car anyhow. Kind of like all those 16 year old kids putting coffee can annoying exhaust on their accords thinking they have fast cars now. It’s really is a joke. If you want a performance sedan, but an M3, S4, Infiniti red sport or the new IS500. Now I’ll let some ignoramus try to argue I’m wrong and just make themselves look stupid, but it is what it is. The damn Type S is SLOW!
The following 2 users liked this post by SinCityTLX:
04WDPSeDaN (07-06-2021), Monte TLS,MAX (07-14-2021)
Old 07-05-2021, 09:30 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dr/owned
Impossibly good deal unless the sales guy and the manager had simultaneous strokes Hell I don't think nowadays with the whole chip shortage blah blah you could even get an Accord Touring for $29k.
(for the audience the A-Spec MSRP is only $6k less than the Type-S)
That's basically what I'm getting at like the MSRP difference is only $6k, where is the $24,000 price gap coming from. It's either a godly deal on the Apsec or some seriously high markup on the Type S.
Old 07-05-2021, 09:54 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SinCityTLX
Not even close to being worth the extra money. It’s supposed to be a performance oriented enthusiasts car, and all it really is, is a sight lily peppier TLX V6. Who cares about getting an extra few ponies in a car like this as it isn’t a performance car anyhow. Kind of like all those 16 year old kids putting coffee can annoying exhaust on their accords thinking they have fast cars now. It’s really is a joke. If you want a performance sedan, but an M3, S4, Infiniti red sport or the new IS500. Now I’ll let some ignoramus try to argue I’m wrong and just make themselves look stupid, but it is what it is. The damn Type S is SLOW!
The M3 is in a completely different class starting at $70,000 dollars vs $50,000 and is quite obviously better in every metric but moving past that you'd really buy a Infinit Red Sport over a TLX-S? You'd buy that piece of junk with tech from 2010 from a struggling parent company with a bad track record in recent years based purely on the fact that it can get to 60 or do a quarter mile a few tenths of a second faster? To each their own.

I'm curious if you've ever driven both the S4 and TLX-S, they really are very very very close in every way. It's been my debate the past few months and there is no significant performance gap to push me one way or the other. The S4 does launch a bit more aggressively, average street drag performance if you're going for that should be a couple tenths of a second ahead of a TLX-S I think but from a roll or just generally speaking the seat of the pants experience is virtually identical, a TLX-S vs S4 debate is going to be settled on qualities besides performance.

I know you're comparing against a marked up TLX-S but that's a pointless figure to use for an argument because we all know it's a rip off with markup that's not a surprise.

Last edited by DubPK; 07-05-2021 at 09:59 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by DubPK:
mec30 (07-05-2021), silverTL6 (07-06-2021)
Old 07-05-2021, 10:11 PM
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts
The M3 is in a completely different class starting at $70,000 dollars vs $50,000 and is quite obviously better in every metric but moving past that you'd really buy a Infinit Red Sport over a TLX-S? You'd buy that piece of junk with tech from 2010 from a struggling parent company with a bad track record in recent years based purely on the fact that it can get to 60 or do a quarter mile a few tenths of a second faster? To each their own.

I'm curious if you've ever driven both the S4 and TLX-S, they really are very very very close in every way. It's been my debate the past few months and there is no significant performance gap to push me one way or the other. The S4 does launch a bit more aggressively, average street drag performance if you're going for that should be a couple tenths of a second ahead of a TLX-S I think but from a roll or just generally speaking the seat of the pants experience is virtually identical, a TLX-S vs S4 debate is going to be settled on qualities besides performance.
Vs the S4 the TLX should handle better even with the extra weight. Acura's SH-AWD is much more aggressive than the sport diff in the Audi and it ditches the McPherson struts for actual double wishbones. The only flaw in the Type S sport credentials is the weight. Not sure I would choose the S4 over the Type S without a direct head-to-head comparison. The Q50 makes a lot of power but the suspension is very soft and the shifts are lazy. I'd recommend a G70 over the Infinity as a sports sedan. The Q50 is more of a high HP cruiser.

Honestly, if I could get the A-Spec with the Type S transmission I would buy one tomorrow. I hate the soft shifts even in the most aggressive transmission mode.

Last edited by mec30; 07-05-2021 at 10:21 PM.
Old 07-06-2021, 12:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
For some reason the 2008 IS350 was quicker than other years. It’s even faster than the current version. Stock, people have done 4.9 0-60 dragy pulls. I’d be curious to see Sam Car Legion do a 2008 IS350 vs A current Type S I guarantee it will be nearly neck and neck. .
Old 07-06-2021, 04:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by mec30
Vs the S4 the TLX should handle better even with the extra weight. Acura's SH-AWD is much more aggressive than the sport diff in the Audi and it ditches the McPherson struts for actual double wishbones. The only flaw in the Type S sport credentials is the weight. Not sure I would choose the S4 over the Type S without a direct head-to-head comparison. The Q50 makes a lot of power but the suspension is very soft and the shifts are lazy. I'd recommend a G70 over the Infinity as a sports sedan. The Q50 is more of a high HP cruiser.

Honestly, if I could get the A-Spec with the Type S transmission I would buy one tomorrow. I hate the soft shifts even in the most aggressive transmission mode.
DWB Gods gift to Acura marketing.

I don't think DWB are such a big deal in the real world. When Porsche & BMW give them up will rethink the issue. C&D tested my Z4 struts at 1.02G & the ordered M4 at 1.04G. Will admit the COBRA with DWB's will corner at 1.25G but its very light, 2250lbs, with 275X315 track tires.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 07-06-2021 at 04:47 AM.
Old 07-06-2021, 05:07 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory

I don't think DWB are such a big deal in the real world. When Porsche & BMW give them up will rethink the issue. C&D tested my Z4 struts at 1.02G & the ordered M4 at 1.04G. Will admit the COBRA with DWB's will corner at 1.25G but its very light, 2250lbs, with 275X315 track tires.
You don't have to wait long:

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/sup...t3s-suspension

"With the double wishbone, we have a way to make the car stiffer and more stable with less body movements under braking. But we could gain some residual comfort for street use. So even though it’s twice as stiff compared to the front axle on the last GT3, it’s no less useable as a road car "
Old 07-06-2021, 06:03 AM
Suzuka Master

"With the double wishbone, we have a way to make the car stiffer and more stable with less body movements under braking. But we could gain some residual comfort for street use. So even though it’s twice as stiff compared to the front axle on the last GT3, it’s no less useable as a road car "
Think I will keep waiting. The 2 Porsches I had 911 Carrera 4S & 718S were both Strut & handled very well.

GT3 is a track day car that you can drive on the street similar to the Corvette Z06. DWB is an outlier in Porsche sales and would excludes the entire 718 line & all of the other 911 line including the top of the line 207MPH $220,000 640BHP 911Turbo S.

If struts can manage a 207MPH car the are well suited to handle a family sedan. The BMW M5 can also manage to get by at 190MPH on struts & the Z4 180MPH

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 07-06-2021 at 06:17 AM.
Old 07-07-2021, 01:48 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,172 Likes on 2,590 Posts

Meh, you sound like a apologist making excuses for manufacturers who don't use DWB.

All other things being equal a DWB suspension > Strut suspension for front and rear applications.
It allows better tire contact and suspension geometry performance through the motion of the suspension travel.
Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Corvettes, NSX (1G & 2G), flagship BMW 7 series, MB S classes all use it as well as many other manufacturers over a range of various vehicle types.
So for Acura to go back to it is a good thing.

, quite the ultimate 911

Think I will keep waiting. The 2 Porsches I had 911 Carrera 4S & 718S were both Strut & handled very well.

GT3 is a track day car that you can drive on the street similar to the Corvette Z06. DWB is an outlier in Porsche sales and would excludes the entire 718 line & all of the other 911 line including the top of the line 207MPH $220,000 640BHP 911Turbo S.

If struts can manage a 207MPH car the are well suited to handle a family sedan. The BMW M5 can also manage to get by at 190MPH on struts & the Z4 180MPH
Not true, ~80% of Porsche vehicle sales use DWB front suspension (Cayenne, Macan, Panamera, Taycan).

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en_US/2...020-23328.html

Top speed and skid pad testing on a smooth level surface aren't exactly tasking performance for suspension systems (ie look at what a funny car or top fuel dragster use), driving on a back twisty road and uneven imperfect pavement like the real world are were DWB performance shows. Struts can provide very good to great performance but when the best suspension performance is the goal, manufacturers go for DWB or upper/lower multi-link like what Porsche did with the GT3 over the strut GT2.

Similar debate for Camaro/Mustangs which could put in great skidpad numbers but were still subpar to comparable sport coupes with IRS with real world handling (dynamic transitions, uneven/imperfect surfaces, ...). Took four decades but GM/Ford finally relented and gave both IRS despite greater complexity and cost.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 07-07-2021 at 02:01 PM.
WTF.Acura (07-07-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 04:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Meh, you sound like a apologist making excuses for manufacturers who don't use DWB.

All other things being equal a DWB suspension > Strut suspension for front and rear applications.
It allows better tire contact and suspension geometry performance through the motion of the suspension travel.
Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Corvettes, NSX (1G & 2G), flagship BMW 7 series, MB S classes all use it as well as many other manufacturers over a range of various vehicle types.
So for Acura to go back to it is a good thing.

, quite the ultimate 911

Not true, ~80% of Porsche vehicle sales use DWB front suspension (Cayenne, Macan, Panamera, Taycan).

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en_US/2...020-23328.html

Top speed and skid pad testing on a smooth level surface aren't exactly tasking performance for suspension systems (ie look at what a funny car or top fuel dragster use), driving on a back twisty road and uneven imperfect pavement like the real world are were DWB performance shows. Struts can provide very good to great performance but when the best suspension performance is the goal, manufacturers go for DWB or upper/lower multi-link like what Porsche did with the GT3 over the strut GT2.

Similar debate for Camaro/Mustangs which could put in great skidpad numbers but were still subpar to comparable sport coupes with IRS with real world handling (dynamic transitions, uneven/imperfect surfaces, ...). Took four decades but GM/Ford finally relented and gave both IRS despite greater complexity and cost.
Yet the Camaro with struts in Lightning Laps sits in front of a Ferrari 488 & a McLaren 650 & a FORD GT. The fastest Porsche GT2RS & #2 overall runs on struts. The top GT3RS is 4 seconds back in #6 place.

Yeah DWB VS Struts is interesting. I know my daughters Cayenne has DWB. Nothing against DWB installed them myself in my car. Point was a car like the TLX gains pretty much nothing but marketing buzz from DWB. They are hyping DWB like the 272BHP & all the other race stuff. I used the words "real world" defining the typical TLX driver & the typical use of the car. They seem to like the image of a performance car but have no intention of driving it as one. DWB IMHO on a TLS is a major case of overkill & expect 99.9% of the buyers have no clue as to what it is other than it sounds like a race thing.

Look at the mix of enthusiasts here (there are very few people here overall) as an example then think about the the total universe of Acura buyers. Based on the comments in the Acura TLX Type S Reviews/Discussion very few if any are buying "performance" to actually use. That's why they are tap dancing all over the place after the S4 thumped it in the Vid. Some seemed all hot for the vid beforehand & its what vid? after.

You need to read the comments after the race vid on YouTube, not good. A lot of guys are pissed about the red line claim that they beat the S4 at the introduction. Most seem to think it was a rigged marketing thing. Who knows? Point is Sam sucks as a driver. He total blew a launch, the TLX was long gone, not even in the picture, yet Sam drove the S4 around the TLX for a win.

That is a major reach on your part. I specifically said in the 718 product line & the 911 product line that the DWB GT3 was an outlier. My 718 did not have DWB & my 911 Carrera 4S did not have DWB's. My interest in Porsche are not the SUV's or 4 doors

BTW you never said what you drive. Is it an Acura or are you like me a past TL owner?

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 07-07-2021 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-07-2021, 06:31 PM
Instructor

They seem to like the image of a performance car but have no intention of driving it as one.~

~Look at the mix of enthusiasts here (there are very few people here overall) as an example then think about the the total universe of Acura buyers. Based on the comments in the Acura TLX Type S Reviews/Discussion very few if any are buying "performance" to actually use. That's why they are tap dancing all over the place after the S4 thumped it in the Vid. Some seemed all hot for the vid beforehand & its what vid? after.
You're not wrong, but I think that's most of these luxury performance car buyers. An A4 buyer who opts for the S4 or a TLX shopper that opts for the TLX-S is the equivalent of the guy who bought the Accord but opted for the thirstier more expensive V6. They likely aren't huge car nuts that spend entire weekends in their garage working on the next big project or modding their daily but they appreciate a quick car and want their car to put a smile on their face once and a while when they do get opportunity to open the throttle up or get the opportunity to push their car on some good canyon roads. BMW crowd is likely harder to read into because since they beat almost everything most of the damn time the mix of real performance enthusiasts to the faux-ish enthusiasts will be different.
The following 4 users liked this post by DubPK:
BEAR-AvHistory (07-07-2021), jhb31 (07-08-2021), vhtran (07-08-2021), WTF.Acura (07-07-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 09:43 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Guys, my salesman showed me an "engine trick" that totally wakes up the TLX engine. If you press the DRIVE button twice, the engine literally comes alive! It drives like a Type S should drive. But be careful if you do this...use the paddle shifters for a higher rev in this engine mode. At this point, who needs a Type S.
Legend2TL (07-08-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 10:31 PM
Suzuka Master

You're not wrong, but I think that's most of these luxury performance car buyers. An A4 buyer who opts for the S4 or a TLX shopper that opts for the TLX-S is the equivalent of the guy who bought the Accord but opted for the thirstier more expensive V6. They likely aren't huge car nuts that spend entire weekends in their garage working on the next big project or modding their daily but they appreciate a quick car and want their car to put a smile on their face once and a while when they do get opportunity to open the throttle up or get the opportunity to push their car on some good canyon roads. BMW crowd is likely harder to read into because since they beat almost everything most of the damn time the mix of real performance enthusiasts to the faux-ish enthusiasts will be different.
There are basically 4 car brands that have a big customer performance usage supported by the factory. 3 have national series racing of their products in terms of size Miata, BMW & Porsche. They also all run track days, performance drivers schools, ours is at VIR, Solo, autocross events & supply racing parts. Corvettes have a performance driving school out west & Chevy has a very extensive performance parts operation as does FORD including entire engines. The rest of the brands not so much.

BMWCCA Club race in Jersey @ NJMP

Porsche USA Porsche 911 GT3 Cup racing Sebring International Raceway,

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 07-07-2021 at 10:43 PM.
Old 07-07-2021, 10:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
Guys, my salesman showed me an "engine trick" that totally wakes up the TLX engine. If you press the DRIVE button twice, the engine literally comes alive! It drives like a Type S should drive. But be careful if you do this...use the paddle shifters for a higher rev in this engine mode. At this point, who needs a Type S.
I’ll give this a try when I’m back home next week.
Old 07-07-2021, 11:18 PM
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts
Yeah DWB VS Struts is interesting. I know my daughters Cayenne has DWB. Nothing against DWB installed them myself in my car. Point was a car like the TLX gains pretty much nothing but marketing buzz from DWB. They are hyping DWB like the 272BHP & all the other race stuff. I used the words "real world" defining the typical TLX driver & the typical use of the car. They seem to like the image of a performance car but have no intention of driving it as one. DWB IMHO on a TLS is a major case of overkill & expect 99.9% of the buyers have no clue as to what it is other than it sounds like a race thing.
From a strictly technical perspective, the heavier you are the more it matters that you're running a well engineered DWB. A lighter car can get away with less than an ideal contact patch with sticker compound because they are just going to have less body roll, stiffer suspension, and less overall mass to break traction with. On a larger car the performance gains of DWB are often worth it because you are already heavy. That's even more true since the TLX is carrying more weight over the front wheels than a traditional RWD sedan. Obviously the engineering is going to be a key differentiator. BMW is using a lot of aluminum components to meet those weight targets.

Yet to be seen if the Audi's roadholding can keep up.
BEAR-AvHistory (07-08-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 09:06 AM
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 86 Posts
As the cool kids like to say: RTFM. This is not a trick. It's a feature. It's called Sequential Mode:

This function has been around since the 2019 RDX:

Old 07-08-2021, 09:10 AM
Drifting

Received 1,246 Likes on 904 Posts
Originally Posted by robnalex
This function has been around since the 2019 RDX:

I had it on my 2018 MDX too.
robnalex (07-08-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 10:09 AM
Styl1n

Received 159 Likes on 95 Posts
My RDX has it to, never used it. The Type S needs a tune to wake it up a bit. For those who have the car and broken in should run it on the dyno so we can see the numbers. I'm still waiting on the dealer to call me to test drive the S once they get one. He said if i can let him drive my M, I said sure no problem but no hating after
Old 07-08-2021, 10:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
I’m going to go ahead and predict a Dyno of 310 WHP 330 LB FT
Old 07-08-2021, 11:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by kuzdu
My RDX has it to, never used it. The Type S needs a tune to wake it up a bit. For those who have the car and broken in should run it on the dyno so we can see the numbers. I'm still waiting on the dealer to call me to test drive the S once they get one. He said if i can let him drive my M, I said sure no problem but no hating after
Fun thing to do. Get him to agree to take both cars out for a nice run switch drivers then return. Did this with my son in law a few times with the 718, Cobra & Z4. Also did this at Porsche when buying the Boxster. They had identical 718's down to the color, one PDK & one MT. We wound up with the MT. FWIW the PDK was quicker.
Old 07-08-2021, 11:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 225 Posts
Good point. For me I was a TLX buyer who the car was just too slow and was not much fun (at least for me) to drive but plenty reliable, definition of a daily driver car. When I went out with the wife I was indifferent to driving it or her SUV. Went to the S5 with no desire or wish to mod the car but there are a lot of Audi S buyers that do. I don't run across all that many cars next to me at a light that it can't take. Not saying it's crazy fast but it's pretty quick and faster than most with great brakes, very well appointed, stylish and a great overall ride. Of course all of that is anecdotal.
Old 07-08-2021, 11:12 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Kense
I’m going to go ahead and predict a Dyno of 310 WHP 330 LB FT
312/313WHP on a DynoJet
Old 07-08-2021, 11:55 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,172 Likes on 2,590 Posts
Yet the Camaro with struts in Lightning Laps sits in front of a Ferrari 488 & a McLaren 650 & a FORD GT. The fastest Porsche GT2RS & #2 overall runs on struts. The top GT3RS is 4 seconds back in #6 place.

Look at the mix of enthusiasts here (there are very few people here overall) as an example then think about the the total universe of Acura buyers. Based on the comments in the Acura TLX Type S Reviews/Discussion very few if any are buying "performance" to actually use. That's why they are tap dancing all over the place after the S4 thumped it in the Vid. Some seemed all hot for the vid beforehand & its what vid? after.

You need to read the comments after the race vid on YouTube, not good. A lot of guys are pissed about the red line claim that they beat the S4 at the introduction. Most seem to think it was a rigged marketing thing. Who knows? Point is Sam sucks as a driver. He total blew a launch, the TLX was long gone, not even in the picture, yet Sam drove the S4 around the TLX for a win.
All things being equal is what I wrote, and that means just that so trying to compare the various other vehicles gets into different vehicle designs, configurations, mass, power, tires, various mass moments, vehicle model/trim/package/setups/... so trying to compare is pointless for a given track environment. But it still stands that DWB > strut all things being.

As for the TLX 2G neither you nor I know what the difference is between the strut vs. DWB. Also neither of us know if it's 99.99% of the TLX 2G buyers know they have DWB.

Do have a funny tale of what "performance" is to different people which illustrates it's highly subjective, have write that sometime.

That is a major reach on your part. I specifically said in the 718 product line & the 911 product line that the DWB GT3 was an outlier. My 718 did not have DWB & my 911 Carrera 4S did not have DWB's. My interest in Porsche are not the SUV's or 4 doors

BTW you never said what you drive. Is it an Acura or are you like me a past TL owner?
No cause this is what you wrote

DWB is an outlier in Porsche sales and would excludes the entire 718 line & all of the other 911 line including the top of the line 207MPH $220,000 640BHP 911Turbo S.
You stated it was Porsche sales then went on to indicate all the 718, most 911 models would not be included . You didn't say "DWB is a outlier in 718/911 Porsche sales", you said "Porsche sales".
As well as the facts remains, ~80% of Porsche vehicles are DWB.

And to your question, still living the 3G 6MT life

Last edited by Legend2TL; 07-08-2021 at 12:09 PM.
Old 07-08-2021, 04:26 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by kuzdu
I think it's going to be a fun platform to dink around with. Tune, turbo, intercooler, downpipe- PRL said they're on board with developing on it. And it being a Honda product we have the service manual for it and parts aren't expensive "just because". I drove the 2.0T before and after those mods (except bigger turbo) and it goes from being so-so to pretty quick and really needing AWD to put the power down from a launch.

Maybe I'm alone in being like "well I either buy the Type S or I stick with my current car". I'm not out there cross shopping with BMW and Audi. *shrug*
Old 07-08-2021, 10:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
I think it's going to be a fun platform to dink around with. Tune, turbo, intercooler, downpipe- PRL said they're on board with developing on it. And it being a Honda product we have the service manual for it and parts aren't expensive "just because". I drove the 2.0T before and after those mods (except bigger turbo) and it goes from being so-so to pretty quick and really needing AWD to put the power down from a launch.

Maybe I'm alone in being like "well I either buy the Type S or I stick with my current car". I'm not out there cross shopping with BMW and Audi. *shrug*
The Audi/BMW may cost more, but all those mods plus work are close to 5k or more. Plus no more warranty. At that point, why? Buying used is one thing. New and tuning it from day one, just get a car that's faster for really not that much more. Or get a CPO M340i/S4/5/etc and enjoy with peace of mind and money in the bank. Use that saved 5k for extended warranty, Type-S cannot be assumed to be bulletproof just because... even less after mods.

Last edited by pyrodan007; 07-08-2021 at 10:29 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by pyrodan007:
04WDPSeDaN (07-09-2021), BEAR-AvHistory (07-09-2021), Kense (07-08-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 10:34 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts
If you're going to blow the warranty by modding a Type S, why not compare it to a modded S4 or M340i? Sure a tuned Type S might keep up with those cars stock, but a tuned S4 or M340i is going to gap (gape?) a tuned Type S. An APR Stage 1 S4 ran an 11.97s quarter and 3.6s 0-60. I imagine a tuned M340i is even faster.

Last edited by fiatlux; 07-08-2021 at 10:40 PM.
Old 07-09-2021, 01:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by fiatlux
If you're going to blow the warranty by modding a Type S, why not compare it to a modded S4 or M340i? Sure a tuned Type S might keep up with those cars stock, but a tuned S4 or M340i is going to gap (gape?) a tuned Type S. An APR Stage 1 S4 ran an 11.97s quarter and 3.6s 0-60. I imagine a tuned M340i is even faster.

Quick 2020 M340's with mods timed on Dragy are sub 3 seconds to 60mph & 10.3 seconds & over 130mph in the 1/4. Any number of YouTube videos on these cars as the Dragy unit support them & imprints on the Vid as they run.

10.6 - 130MPH in the 1/4 SLEEPER

My approach to moding is start with a very fast stock car or build from scratch

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 07-09-2021 at 01:41 AM.
Old 07-09-2021, 06:25 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,986 Likes on 14,496 Posts
Why are you all comparing to other brands?
Shouldn't the TLX be benchmarked by other Acura sedans?
Old 07-09-2021, 10:56 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rockstar143
Why are you all comparing to other brands?
Shouldn't the TLX be benchmarked by other Acura sedans?
No, the proper way to benchmark a car is to compare it to it’s competition for the same or similar money. You can’t ignore the competition unless you’re just loyal to a brand which many wouldn’t agree with but hey to each their own.
BEAR-AvHistory (07-09-2021)
Old 07-09-2021, 01:00 PM

I guess that's true...
but to give the TLX-S a fighting chance it would be better to approach it as an entity with little to no expectation.
Old 07-09-2021, 01:01 PM

Kinda like not marrying or screwing your gf or wife cause there might be ones with bigger boobs or better at bj out there.
Go into it with an open mind, wallet, and heart and see if you enjoy the coitus before determining if the juice was worth the
squeeze.
Old 07-09-2021, 01:24 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Kinda like not marrying or screwing your gf or wife cause there might be ones with bigger boobs or better at bj out there.
Go into it with an open mind, wallet, and heart and see if you enjoy the coitus before determining if the juice was worth the
squeeze.
But in this case, the bride's dad kept bragging about how his daughter is so great in bed.
Old 07-09-2021, 01:50 PM
Suzuka Master

I guess that's true...
but to give the TLX-S a fighting chance it would be better to approach it as an entity with little to no expectation.
Its listed by Acura as their top of the line sedan due to its price & the fact it is the only 6 cylinder sedan they sell. So no point in doing a compare here all you need to do is look at the TLX product line brochure.

The Acura marketing department created specific expectations about the car naming Audi, BMW & I think Mercedes in their advertising. That is what near 100% of the chatter here is about. Comparing the TLX TLX-S against the cars Acura said we should compare it against. They did not mention AFAIK Caddy, Infiniti, Maxima, etc so they don't come up as much if at all compared to the Germans.
Old 07-09-2021, 03:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Quick 2020 M340's with mods timed on Dragy are sub 3 seconds to 60mph & 10.3 seconds & over 130mph in the 1/4. Any number of YouTube videos on these cars as the Dragy unit support them & imprints on the Vid as they run.

10.6 - 130MPH in the 1/4 SLEEPER

My approach to moding is start with a very fast stock car or build from scratch
what mods are they doing to get that performance?

Quick Reply: I test drove a demo Type S at my dealer and…..