Finally done with Acura!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2022, 10:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by mike03a3
Both of mine are over 40 years old. Think I should be considering replacements? I've replaced the garage doors twice, but never the Genie openers.
Probably time to replace. I doubt your old ones have the "Rolling Code" feature. That was a popular security layer 20 years ago.
Old 12-17-2022, 11:10 AM
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ELIN
I have thoughts and feedback on my X3 after nearly 2 months of ownership. Anyone care to hear or keep to myself? Would posting in the RDX thread be appropriate or just appear to be trolling?
I suggest posting in BimmerFest / BimmerPost, and then provide a link to the information for those who are interested.
Old 12-17-2022, 11:47 AM
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by mike03a3
Not all - read the compatibility info. My Genie is too old. And even if it did work with mine, pushing a button on the car is easier than fumbling with a phone looking for the app.
Wow, you must have a really old garage door opener.
myQ Smart Garage Hub and myQ Garage were designed to work on brands that were manufactured after 1993, that use photoelectric sensors that do not change to a low power mode, and have either a program or learn button.

I prefer home link. But fumbling around with a phone app? Doesn't seem that hard to do at all. Especially because you can be anywhere and open or close the garage. So if you forgot to close the garage door when you left, you can check on it and close it from anywhere.
Old 12-22-2022, 12:04 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,986 Likes on 14,496 Posts
My house was built in like 92 and the genie screw drive was archaic...it really did have an aftermarket add on 10 dip switch rf transmitter to get any sort of remote functionality.
Old 12-23-2022, 07:39 AM
Drifting

Received 1,246 Likes on 904 Posts
Originally Posted by ESHBG
I'm curious and I say post it, as some people may be cross shopping w/ the RDX...post it here or in your "Goodbye" thread over there.
I posted my X3 review here to help someone out:

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2.../#post16861995
The following users liked this post:
ESHBG (12-23-2022)
Old 12-23-2022, 07:56 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,598 Likes on 961 Posts

Beautiful write up before you final departure. Appreciate all your contribution, Happy holidays and hope you enjoy the BMW forum as much as here. You will be missed but we are happy for you. I am glad you stayed and continued contributing after weeks you wrote that you are done with Acura. I must say your dedication towards Acura and TLX is unmatched. Deep down, I am sure you're missing the beautiful design of the TLX and reliability of Japanese engineering but it's fine. i am sure you will enjoy more the driving of X3.
Old 12-23-2022, 10:30 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,986 Likes on 14,496 Posts
Fuck that, if you ain't Acura...you ain't family anymore.
ELIN (12-23-2022)
Old 12-23-2022, 11:08 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by rockstar143
Fuck that, if you ain't Acura...you ain't family anymore.
So no one ever became friends with their ex?
Old 12-23-2022, 11:36 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,598 Likes on 961 Posts
So no one ever became friends with their ex?
hahah! Why not...as far as the ex follows the rule
ELIN (12-23-2022)
Old 12-30-2022, 07:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 52 Posts

I appreciate the write up. My wife and I had liked the RDX since it came out, but after multiple test drives, including few extended service vehicles we shifted our focus to X3 now, as we both agreed that we could not live with the garbage infotainment system that is in RDX. Overall, RDX is a nice vehicle (minus poor MPG), and I know we will sacrifice some things going with X3, but just the idea of using True Touch Interface gives us goose bumps. We are hoping to grab 2023 X3 before BMW ruins their cars with all screen / no buttons garbage UI next.
ELIN (12-30-2022)
Old 12-30-2022, 09:37 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mlody
I appreciate the write up. My wife and I had liked the RDX since it came out, but after multiple test drives, including few extended service vehicles we shifted our focus to X3 now, as we both agreed that we could not live with the garbage infotainment system that is in RDX. Overall, RDX is a nice vehicle (minus poor MPG), and I know we will sacrifice some things going with X3, but just the idea of using True Touch Interface gives us goose bumps. We are hoping to grab 2023 X3 before BMW ruins their cars with all screen / no buttons garbage UI next.
You'll get better fuel economy than the RDX for starters. You'll also get additional functionality through apps that are just not available in Acuras like the Drive Recorder (think of it as an OEM daschcam+) and the Uneven Road Surface app that warns of potholes, railroad tracks, etc. The biggest sacrifice going away from the RDX (other than price) is really the sound system if we're being honest. You may miss the SHAWD handling as well but it depends on if you were taking tight entry/exit ramps at 40+ mph (many here have already admitted that SHAWD is wasted on the general public).

Good call on getting the current gen X3. I read that the recently redesigned X1 got rid of a lot of physical climate controls and I'm sure the X3 is next.

You can PM me with any ownership questions as some folks here get hives when "BMW" is mentioned.
mlody (02-28-2023)
Old 02-28-2023, 07:40 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dim Headlights RDX 2nd Gen-PLEASE FILE A COMPLAINT WITH NHTSA!!!!

I have been battling the slowly degrading dimming headlight issue on my 2014 and my 2015 RDX, both vehicles bought used. I was in a head on collision totaling my 2015. Other posters are correct the issue is the reflective coating that deteriorates because the engineering of the vehicle and headlamp is to have the driving lights be on all the time the car is running so at 80,000+ the amount of heat has completely degraded the reflective coating housing. I had 1% lux reading as measured by an automotive illumination engineer ... yes 1%. I had to replace the headlights or not drive the car at night or illegally drive with my hi-beams on. I paid Acura dealer $2227 to perform the repair and both the dealer and Acura snubbed their nose at me and said they would do nothing to compensate me unless the NHTSA ordered a mandatory recall. Acura had a mandatory NHTSA recall to that era ILX for this same issue and Nissan has just settled a class action lawsuit for the same issue. The headlights were all manufactured by National Automotive Lighting (NAL). We Honda/Acura loyalists need to demand a full recall on the defective headlamps. Law firm Chimicles Schwartz Kriner & Donaldson-Smith LLP is trying to identify impacted Acura RDX owners and investigate/pursue filing a Class Action Lawsuit. They were the law firm successfully in the Nissan class action lawsuit. Impacted owners should file a formal complaint with the NHTSA at https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#vehicle. File a complaint about the danger of your dim headlights and share your personal costs, fear, danger, accident, death, or repairs you had to undertake because of Acura’s failure to engineer a safe vehicle and then its failure to remedy their defect. If we can band together and be successful with either the NHTSA and/or a class action lawsuit, we could be fully compensated for the replacement of the headlamps at Acura’s. These Acura are now being passed down to teenage drivers because they are generally a long mile reliable vehicle. Do you want your 16 year old inexperienced driver to not be able to see the road at night and veer off the road or into oncoming traffic and kill your 80 year old mother? Pass it on.
ESHBG (03-01-2023)
Old 02-28-2023, 09:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 666 Likes on 359 Posts
This thread is stupid, but to chime in on something OP discussed was issues with TLX Infotainment. One, it's documented that iPhone users experience has been bad, but from the phone and not the user system. Sorry, but it's an Apple issue. My Android is 99% issue free once I found the correct cable to plug. TouchPad is easy to navigate using AA. I'm glad passengers can't just "touch" my screen. Response is adequate. Not top of line, but not anywhere near terrible. I think people don't want to like it because "influencer car journalists " say it's not responsive and clunky. It's actually an insult to compare it to Lexus. Their system is bottom of the barrel trash 🗑.

Also, comparing a TLX to an X3 is stupid also. Not OP, but to compare as a reason to leave Acura. Golf clubs lol.
Tony Pac (02-28-2023)
Old 03-01-2023, 06:58 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by GhostTL09
This thread is stupid, but to chime in on something OP discussed was issues with TLX Infotainment. One, it's documented that iPhone users experience has been bad, but from the phone and not the user system. Sorry, but it's an Apple issue. My Android is 99% issue free once I found the correct cable to plug. TouchPad is easy to navigate using AA. I'm glad passengers can't just "touch" my screen. Response is adequate. Not top of line, but not anywhere near terrible. I think people don't want to like it because "influencer car journalists " say it's not responsive and clunky. It's actually an insult to compare it to Lexus. Their system is bottom of the barrel trash 🗑.

Also, comparing a TLX to an X3 is stupid also. Not OP, but to compare as a reason to leave Acura. Golf clubs lol.
<sarcasm>
First of all, thanks for your wonderful and inciteful post! It's always great to hear when a car company favors one particular phone OS (Android) over another (iOS)! Not only that, you also helpfully quoted car journalists, which will always trump ownership experience like the subject of this particular thread! The gall of the OP to mention the width of the TLX's trunk as a plus for golf clubs! This "PRO" for the TLX should be removed post-haste! Before I forget, let me thank you for the many contributions you've given to the Owner's Thread over the years. I'm sure many members are also appreciative of your efforts!
</sarcasm>

Perhaps your AA is 99% issue free because the infotainment is working off Android? Easy to hate on Apple when you don't even use CarPlay yourself.

Folks, remember what GhostTL09 is telling us: "Acura hates Apple users" at worst and "Acura is unable to work with Apple" at best. For what it's worth, my wireless CarPlay has been just dandy in the X3!
ESHBG (03-01-2023)
Old 03-01-2023, 08:27 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,172 Likes on 2,590 Posts
Finally done with this thread, time to close it.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 03-01-2023 at 08:38 AM.
ELIN (03-01-2023)