Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,926 Likes on 14,464 Posts
The following users liked this post:
WTF.Acura (08-30-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 10:47 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,079 Likes on 2,530 Posts
Originally Posted by KrylonBlue
I don’t know what the threshold is with collisions before frame damage can occur but I’d think the frame should be fine. However, in my mind, I keep thinking what if it’s bent and I need a new car. Getting my hands on a Apex Blue w/ Red interior Type S is going to be a nightmare. In my mind this is the car I want and if it needed to be replaced it’s the only car I’ll accept. So we shall see.
  1. So sorry for such a new car to get hit so new
  2. Also so glad you're OK, that's the important thing over all else
  3. The crash damage doesn't look too bad, perhaps that rear panel can be pulled out. It's hard to tell visually if the yield or necking strength has been exceeded in the sheet metal. What was she driving? It appears it missed the bumper beam which is a sacrificial component for accidents.
  4. Good luck with the insurance and repairs. Definitely ask around for body shops, many (most?) dealerships no longer do body work but refer to places. As for the uninsured claim, some states have regulation for what insurers can/can't do after those claims.
Old 08-30-2021, 10:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,662 Likes on 927 Posts
I hate these types of posts the most but, glad you're ok. My wife/kids were driving my 14 Accord Sport a few years ago and were rear ended while sitting at a stop light near our home. Safe to say, Acura made an impression that day!!

The following 7 users liked this post by F23A4:
ELIN (08-30-2021), justnspace (08-30-2021), KrylonBlue (08-30-2021), MarcoTLX (08-30-2021), Midnight Mystery (08-30-2021), vhtran (08-30-2021), WTF.Acura (08-30-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-30-2021, 11:00 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 534 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
  1. So sorry for such a new car to get hit so new
  2. Also so glad you're OK, that's the important thing over all else
  3. The crash damage doesn't look too bad, perhaps that rear panel can be pulled out. It's hard to tell visually if the yield or necking strength has been exceeded in the sheet metal. What was she driving? It appears it missed the bumper beam which is a sacrificial component for accidents.
  4. Good luck with the insurance and repairs. Definitely ask around for body shops, many (most?) dealerships no longer do body work but refer to places. As for the uninsured claim, some states have regulation for what insurers can/can't do after those claims.
I have a local body shop that I like looking at it today at 3pm. She was driving a 2009 Nissan Rogue.
Old 08-30-2021, 11:01 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by vhtran
Dang...that sucks balls. For schiet and giggles, you should change your avatar to this photo.

Hmmmm! What kind of investigation are you working on?
Oh god, lol.

I mean it’ll at one point be damaged for longer than it wasn’t for a bit so I guess it’s my new car. 😂😩
Old 08-30-2021, 11:11 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
+1 on updating the avatar!
Old 08-30-2021, 01:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 380 Likes on 223 Posts
That really sucks. This is the type of thing that makes leasing attractive but I have only leased once. Sucks when you go to trade/sell the car and you take a major hit for it being in a crash (that is totally someone elses fault completely). Fortunately the hit is less the older the car gets so if you hold onto it for many years it probably won't make much difference. Hopefully you get a body shop that can get it back to new looking condition (I worry about trunk leakage with damage in that area). Even if the other person has insurance sometimes it's just easier to go through your own and let your insurance company go after theirs for the money and refund of deductible. Had a similar situation with my daughters car and the other insurance company kept stalling even though the other driver hit her car when it was parked and she wasn't even in it. It came down to waiting around for them to agree to pay or getting the car fixed and letting the insurance company go after the other company to get the money back which they will certainly do but may take some time. Got tired of waiting and just went the easier route.

Some states do allow "loss of value" claims in addition to repair costs. If your state has that you may be able to get cash for that. Think it requires a dealer to estimate the resulting value loss the accident had on the vehicles market value.

Last edited by jhb31; 08-30-2021 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08-30-2021, 05:22 PM
Air Vice Marshal

Received 293 Likes on 152 Posts
Family was curious so I did it.

I know I don’t need to do much at this point. It’s just annoying to see repeat offenders driving drunk again.
My wife narrowly missed being killed by a repeat offender two years ago. She was driving home on a divided highway when she saw headlights coming fast down an off ramp. She swerved and he missed her, but hit the car behind her head on killing the driver and himself. He was driving drunk on a license that was suspended for previous DUIs. My wife still has survivor's guilt because she dodged it and the woman behind was killed.
astro (10-13-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 05:48 PM
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts
Originally Posted by jhb31
That really sucks. This is the type of thing that makes leasing attractive but I have only leased once. Sucks when you go to trade/sell the car and you take a major hit for it being in a crash (that is totally someone elses fault completely). Fortunately the hit is less the older the car gets so if you hold onto it for many years it probably won't make much difference. Hopefully you get a body shop that can get it back to new looking condition (I worry about trunk leakage with damage in that area). Even if the other person has insurance sometimes it's just easier to go through your own and let your insurance company go after theirs for the money and refund of deductible. Had a similar situation with my daughters car and the other insurance company kept stalling even though the other driver hit her car when it was parked and she wasn't even in it. It came down to waiting around for them to agree to pay or getting the car fixed and letting the insurance company go after the other company to get the money back which they will certainly do but may take some time. Got tired of waiting and just went the easier route.

Some states do allow "loss of value" claims in addition to repair costs. If your state has that you may be able to get cash for that. Think it requires a dealer to estimate the resulting value loss the accident had on the vehicles market value.
Definitely in a rear ended go through your insurance company. One of the reasons you pay them premiums is for them to handle the interactions with the other insurance company.
Old 08-30-2021, 06:35 PM
Drifting

Received 1,231 Likes on 890 Posts
Originally Posted by Honda430
Definitely in a rear ended go through your insurance company. One of the reasons you pay them premiums is for them to handle the interactions with the other insurance company.
That's the last thing you want to do! Any incurred costs will raise your premium, at fault or not! Other party should pay unless they can't (KrylonBlue's situation).
Old 08-30-2021, 07:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 380 Likes on 223 Posts
Originally Posted by ELIN
That's the last thing you want to do! Any incurred costs will raise your premium, at fault or not! Other party should pay unless they can't (KrylonBlue's situation).
Typically something like this (rear ended) is 100% the other persons fault and in this case I imagine would go under the "uninsured motorist" coverage since it seems likely they have none and not be considered an "at fault" event. While the insurance premium could be raised it would generally be unlikely unless you had another similar claim or two in a short period of time. A call to your insurance company is all it takes to find out if it is likely to change your rates at all. They will generally tell you its your choice to go through your own insurance or the other persons and also tell you if there is any negative effect you your rates. If the other person has insurance or not is also a factor and frankly they are generally in no hurry to process your claim as quickly as your own insurance company will. Your insurance company will go after the other drivers insurance (and find out if they have any) to recoup any payouts and your deductible for you. Each state can vary but this is how it works in the two states I had to deal with this in over the years.

On the other side if you rear end someone then you will most likely see a rate increase. In that case if the damage is minor better to pay out of pocket and avoid police reports.
Old 08-30-2021, 07:18 PM
Pro

Elin, at least here in CA that’s not the way it works. If you’re at fault or not you submit your claim to your carrier and they take care of it. No waiting on the other carrier to pay. Your carrier fixes your vehicle and then collects the repair amounts from the other carrier. If there’s a question about fault you need only have to wait for that to be determined for reimbursement of your deductible if you are judged not at fault. In something like a rear ender where the obvious fault lies with the party who did the rear ending your carrier will most likely waive your deductible. Understand that here you can’t keep knowledge of the accident from your carrier by only dealing with the other party’s carrier because if the other carrier makes a payment they will report the accident and your involvement in it to our DMV and as a result it goes on your driving record. The only out for not having the accident reported is if both parties agree not to report it and the at fault party pays for all repairs.
Old 08-30-2021, 07:30 PM
Drifting

Typically something like this (rear ended) is 100% the other persons fault and in this case I imagine would go under the "uninsured motorist" coverage since it seems likely they have none and not be considered an "at fault" event. While the insurance premium could be raised it would generally be unlikely unless you had another similar claim or two in a short period of time. A call to your insurance company is all it takes to find out if it is likely to change your rates at all. They will generally tell you its your choice to go through your own insurance or the other persons and also tell you if there is any negative effect you your rates. If the other person has insurance or not is also a factor and frankly they are generally in no hurry to process your claim as quickly as your own insurance company will. Your insurance company will go after the other drivers insurance (and find out if they have any) to recoup any payouts and your deductible for you. Each state can vary but this is how it works in the two states I had to deal with this in over the years.

On the other side if you rear end someone then you will most likely see a rate increase. In that case if the damage is minor better to pay out of pocket and avoid police reports.
Elin, at least here in CA that’s not the way it works. If you’re at fault or not you submit your claim to your carrier and they take care of it. No waiting on the other carrier to pay. Your carrier fixes your vehicle and then collects the repair amounts from the other carrier. If there’s a question about fault you need only have to wait for that to be determined for reimbursement of your deductible if you are judged not at fault. In something like a rear ender where the obvious fault lies with the party who did the rear ending your carrier will most likely waive your deductible. Understand that here you can’t keep knowledge of the accident from your carrier by only dealing with the other party’s carrier because if the other carrier makes a payment they will report the accident and your involvement in it to our DMV and as a result it goes on your driving record. The only out for not having the accident reported is if both parties agree not to report it and the at fault party pays for all repairs.
I was rear-ended recently. My insurance company said it's much cleaner if I opened up the case entirely through the other insured (who was "at fault."). Suing to get money back costs money so don't think for a minute you are scot-free.

My insurance company always encourages letting them know about incidents, even if the other party was at fault. I notified them and what thanks did I get? I lost my "no incident" discount! I disagree that the DMV would be notified for those not at fault since they are only assessing points against your license (no reason to dock no fault drivers).
Old 08-30-2021, 07:40 PM
Pro

I was rear-ended recently. My insurance company said it's much cleaner if I opened up the case entirely through the other insured (who was "at fault."). Suing to get money back costs money so don't think for a minute you are scot-free.

My insurance company always encourages letting them know about incidents, even if the other party was at fault. I notified them and what thanks did I get? I lost my "no incident" discount! I disagree that the DMV would be notified for those not at fault since they are only assessing points against your license (no reason to dock no fault drivers).
I hate to say this, but it appears you have a crappy insurance carrier. They need to do their part and handling your claims whether it’s your fault or not is the job they’re charging you premium to do. No way as a member of the public do I want to take on the fight with another insurance carrier, that is not obligated to advocate for me, about getting my car fixed and rental car expenses etc. paid. That battle should be left to the professionals and that’s what I pay my carrier to do. When you file with your carrier your limits apply. Companies like Progressive will fight like all hell to keep your claim as small as they can make it. I’m simply unwilling to put myself through that kind of frustration.

Last edited by Honda430; 08-30-2021 at 07:49 PM.
justnspace (08-30-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 07:44 PM
Drifting

I hate to say this, but it appears you have a crappy insurance carrier. They need to do their part and handling your claims whether it’s your fault or not is the job they’re charging you premium to do. No way as a member of the public do I want to take on the fight against another insurance carrier about getting my car fixed and rental car expenses paid. That battle should be left to the professionals and that’s what I pay my carrier to do.
It was quite painless actually. I made a claim online to the GEICO (other's insured) website and within about a week, someone got back to me and told me everything would be taken care of, including the rental car.

My insurance company made out also because I lost my "no incident" discount. Just like lawyers, insurance companies always win.
Old 08-30-2021, 07:48 PM
Pro

It was quite painless actually. I made a claim online to the GEICO (other's insured) website and within about a week, someone got back to me and told me everything would be taken care of, including the rental car.

My insurance company made out also because I lost my "no incident" discount. Just like lawyers, insurance companies always win.
No, your carrier misled you and you were fortunate that the other party had GEICO as their carrier.
Old 08-30-2021, 08:56 PM
AZ Community Team

No, your carrier misled you and you were fortunate that the other party had GEICO as their carrier.
The woman who hit me claimed to have Geico to both myself and the Police Officer but in the end that proved to be false.

I was forced to go through my insurance (Nationwide) but they've been really good when I had to make a previous claim for hail damage on my 3 month old 2019 TLX ASPEC.

I don't know if they'll be able to recover anything from this woman. She claims to be unemployed, no home equity, no car now or possibly ever as there was no registration, no car insurance and she was under the influence of drugs and alcohol. Also, as mentioned earlier, she's a repeat offender and at least a year ago attempted to destroy evidence which she was charged with. It's all public record but I obviously won't post her information here for privacy and possibly legal reasons but I'll say she would deserve it.

Anyways, I took my car to the body shop this afternoon for inspection. She said I'll need a new bumper, the trunk lid should be able to be repaired as it has only a dent and paint damage and the side quarter panel may or may not need a respray but it depends. The rear bumper beam will be replaced even though it appears to have taken no damage as it's standard to do this for safety precautions and the trunk area itself either needs to be pushed out or I think replaced. Not too sure. I left the car there as they said they could deem it "unsafe" to drive but I'm free to take it home. I guess the trunk securement is reason enough so I left it with them and I'm going to call the rental car company in the next few days to get a car. I had my girlfriend with me so I didn't need to wait around to find out if they had a same day car late in the day.

This should be the case.

You're not at fault so your rates shouldn't have gone up. The good news is that in my case it's an obvious rear ending which automatically places her at fault. Add in the fact that she was under the influence of alcohol/substances and it's a easy case to place fault on her.
The following 2 users liked this post by KrylonBlue:
ELIN (08-30-2021), vhtran (08-31-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 10:00 AM
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 81 Posts
I was forced to go through my insurance (Nationwide) but they've been really good when I had to make a previous claim for hail damage on my 3 month old 2019 TLX ASPEC.
I think you should go with a Wrangler with or something since you don't have much luck with nice new cars.

I don't know if they'll be able to recover anything from this woman. She claims to be unemployed, no home equity, no car now or possibly ever as there was no registration, no car insurance and she was under the influence of drugs and alcohol. Also, as mentioned earlier, she's a repeat offender and at least a year ago attempted to destroy evidence which she was charged with.
I have no word for these type people since you pretty much can't turn them around.

Old 08-31-2021, 01:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 531 Likes on 341 Posts
Ugh so sorry to see this and that sucks! Yeah, the best part is that you are okay but this still stings, especially during these times when there's more to think about and more hassle than usual.

Years ago I was heading home from work and sitting at a red light and was rear ended by a girl going 40 MPH who had no idea traffic had stopped because she was drunk and high as a kite; there were needles all over her car. Thankfully it was her Dad's car and he had insurance but it was alarming when he was contacted and said, "Oh no, again?!" Her car was totaled and her head went into the windshield and because she was so intoxicated she had no idea how hurt she was and had to be airlifted, spent quite some time in the hospital with serious injuries.

Thankfully I walked away fine but there were $12K+ in damages to my car (it wasn't enough to total it out) but my car did its job for sure.

This is what I ended up doing with my TSX and have held on to it long enough that it doesn't much matter anymore. But in the meantime it sucked, as I would casually look at trading it in and this would always come up.
Old 08-31-2021, 03:31 PM
Cruisin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Ugh. People are dumb. Poor Type S.
KrylonBlue (08-31-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 05:06 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by AcuraTypeSFan
Ugh. People are dumb. Poor Type S.
Tell me about it.

Here's a little fun thing today:

My trunk tray was out for delivery today and its a second set of Type S rubber floor mats. I received the set I ordered a week ago so they sent me the wrong item, Lol.
Old 08-31-2021, 05:33 PM
Drifting

Tell me about it.

Here's a little fun thing today:

My trunk tray was out for delivery today and its a second set of Type S rubber floor mats. I received the set I ordered a week ago so they sent me the wrong item, Lol.
When it rains....it pours...
Old 08-31-2021, 05:52 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Where did you order from?
I ordered some parts from Delray Acura - www.acuraoemparts.com

and they put the wrong part in the box..
ARRRRRRGGGGGGG

I called and was like ummm, y'all got the last six digits of the part# correct, but the beginning of the part# is incorrect. someone needs glasses. lol
Old 08-31-2021, 06:17 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by justnspace

ARRRRRRGGGGGGG

I called and was like ummm, y'all got the last six digits of the part# correct, but the beginning of the part# is incorrect. someone needs glasses. lol

Haha, I also ordered from Delray!
justnspace (08-31-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 06:27 PM
Drifting

ARRRRRRGGGGGGG

Haha, I also ordered from Delray!
The "Great Resignation" strikes!
justnspace (08-31-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 06:33 PM
AZ Community Team

The "Great Resignation" strikes!
Haha.

I wonder if they'll ask me to send the mats back which is quite annoying because this is their mess up. I guess they can set up a UPS pick up if they choose but I'm not going to the store.
Old 08-31-2021, 06:36 PM

Haha.

I wonder if they'll ask me to send the mats back which is quite annoying because this is their mess up. I guess they can set up a UPS pick up if they choose but I'm not going to the store.
yes, they'll ask you to put the mats back into the box....return label included. no cost to you.

indeed it was their mess up; and I paid the price of time....
it just sucked waiting an additional week...

Last edited by justnspace; 08-31-2021 at 06:38 PM.
Old 08-31-2021, 07:13 PM
AZ Community Team

yes, they'll ask you to put the mats back into the box....return label included. no cost to you.

indeed it was their mess up; and I paid the price of time....
it just sucked waiting an additional week...
Ill gladly send them back as I already have my mats.

But they can set up a UPS pick up and I’ll leave them at my door. Not wasting my time on their mess up more than contacting them.

Do they mail you a label? I don’t want to waste my ink and tape, lol 😂

Yes, I’m half joking. I’ll do it but I’d rather not.
Old 08-31-2021, 07:19 PM

no, they are not spending any extra money...they'll ship you the box with the trunk liner and a return label. you take out trunk tray and return label. you put back in the box the mats and then tape the return label to the outside of the box.
it will most likely be USPS....as they are not going to spend any extra money they dont have to.
which means your new trunk tray will be USPS as well.
Old 08-31-2021, 07:24 PM
AZ Community Team

no, they are not spending any extra money...they'll ship you the box with the trunk liner and a return label. you take out trunk tray and return label. you put back in the box the mats and then tape the return label to the outside of the box.
it will most likely be USPS....as they are not going to spend any extra money they dont have to.
which means your new trunk tray will be USPS as well.
Ah, gotcha.

No big deal in all honesty. It’s not like I can put the tray in my beautifully disfigured trunk anyway. 😂
justnspace (08-31-2021)
Old 09-02-2021, 11:03 AM
Registered Member

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts
I am truly disheartened at your misfortune KrylonBlue.
I just came across your post and having the same color Type S, makes viewing twice as harsh.
I am truly happy that you are OK. These things too shall pass, as the saying goes.
The following 2 users liked this post by BBRL:
ELIN (09-02-2021), KrylonBlue (09-02-2021)
Old 09-03-2021, 05:44 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by BBRL
I am truly disheartened at your misfortune KrylonBlue.
I just came across your post and having the same color Type S, makes viewing twice as harsh.
I am truly happy that you are OK. These things too shall pass, as the saying goes.
thank you.

I spoke with the body shop today. He said they tore down the car and it’s $7200 on damage.

-Bumper beam took a scrape off the top so it’s being replaced. Not much here.

- Bumper is to be replaced and painted

-Passenger rear quarter panel being repainted but no other damage

-Foam in trunk that holds tire kit is replaced

-Trunk lid replaced and painted

-Trunk frame replacement (or whatever it’s called)

There is no frame damage. The only issue now is parts are delayed right now.
The following 4 users liked this post by KrylonBlue:
BOWA41 (12-22-2021), JDM_DOHC_SiR (09-08-2021), MarcoTLX (09-03-2021), Midnight Mystery (09-07-2021)
Old 09-16-2021, 04:37 PM
AZ Community Team

Ugh, it’s just getting worse.

My insurance is covering a rental until next Sunday but the body shop is telling me that the parts are still on delay and will likely exceed that timeframe.

I am also not paying $30 per day for a rental car which I need to get to and from work.
Old 09-16-2021, 04:59 PM
Pro

Ugh, it’s just getting worse.

My insurance is covering a rental until next Sunday but the body shop is telling me that the parts are still on delay and will likely exceed that timeframe.

I am also not paying $30 per day for a rental car which I need to get to and from work.
I once had a radio ripped out of a vehicle that resulted in a six week repair. Since then I’ve always paid for the maximum rental car period and payment offered by my insurance carrier. Might cost $25 a policy period which is a pittance if you find yourself faced with an extended repair period.

Since you were rear ended your insurer will most likely be able to get reimbursement for your rental car expenses. The downside is you’ll have to wait for payment until the other insurer settles the claim. That could be weeks or even months.
Old 09-16-2021, 05:06 PM
Drifting

I once had a radio ripped out of a vehicle that resulted in a six week repair. Since then I’ve always paid for the maximum rental car period and payment offered by my insurance carrier. Might cost $25 a policy period which is a pittance if you find yourself faced with an extended repair period.

Since you were rear ended your insurer will most likely be able to get reimbursement for your rental car expenses. The downside is you’ll have to wait for payment until the other insurer settles the claim. That could be weeks or even months.
If you have been following the saga, then you know the other party was an uninsured drug addict. There's no help coming.
Old 09-16-2021, 05:11 PM
AZ Community Team

If you have been following the saga, then you know the other party was an uninsured drug addict. There's no help coming.
This.

In fact, here’s the public news release of the charges against her.

My insurance company has tried to contact her on several occasions and I was told she hung up on them immediately.

Last edited by KrylonBlue; 09-16-2021 at 05:13 PM.
Old 09-16-2021, 05:19 PM
Pro

Yes, I forgot all about that.
Old 09-16-2021, 05:25 PM
AZ Community Team

Yes, I forgot all about that.
All good.
Basically this whole accident is going to cost me while she continues to go down that path of being a druggie that takes no responsibility.

All I know is I can't nor will I pay for a rental car as I have my own car payments to worry about. I can't do both a Type S payment and possibly $900 in rental for the month. The body shop tells me it could very well take a month if the parts don't start being produced faster. This could create quite the issue for me which at this point I have no idea what I could do to solve it.

Last edited by KrylonBlue; 09-16-2021 at 05:30 PM.
Old 09-20-2021, 01:50 PM
AZ Community Team

I spoke with the body shop today and the two parts they're waiting on is the rear body panel which is where the trunk latches onto and the Type S emblem.

Obviously the emblem isn't going to hold us up but the rear body panel will. I called my insurance and it sounds like that because I chose a shop they have "in network" that they will cover the rental for as long as needed.
The following 10 users liked this post by KrylonBlue:
a35tl (09-20-2021), BOWA41 (12-22-2021), ELIN (09-20-2021), ESHBG (09-21-2021), JDM_DOHC_SiR (09-20-2021), Legend2TL (09-21-2021), MarcoTLX (09-20-2021), nist7 (09-28-2021), SGPMan (09-20-2021), vhtran (09-20-2021) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-27-2021, 08:02 PM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
A bit off topic, but what type of car are you driving as a loaner? Just curious.

Quick Reply: Crashed TLX Type-S 6 days ago...