Crashed TLX Type-S 6 days ago...

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2021, 12:10 PM
Drifting

Received 1,231 Likes on 890 Posts
Originally Posted by jhb31
Maybe the weight is just to much to get a shorter stopping distance. I was surprised at the 70-0 distance being what it was. Maybe they also should have gone with 6 or 8 piston calipers rather than the 4 piston brembos given the cars heft.
This is yet another reminder that Acura is a premium brand and not luxury. There's no way the Germans would allow this to slide (pun intended)!
Old 08-20-2021, 06:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,662 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
Welcome to NYC.. It's such a mess over there. 1010 WINS has been reporting drivers are speeding more than ever before since Covid and accidents / deaths are on the rise. For the life of me I don't understand why anyone would spend their hard earn money to drive their vehicle beyond reckless like that.
Deaths are on the rise in NYC for a multitude of reasons. Doesn't help to have a mayor who has not regard for the lawlessness which has taken over that city. Relegating the NYPD to just 'observe and report' doesn't do much for the security of residents and vistors. #SanAngelesPoliceDepartment #DemolitionMan
The following 2 users liked this post by F23A4:
leomio2.0 (08-20-2021), vhtran (08-20-2021)
Old 08-20-2021, 06:52 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,939 Likes on 14,469 Posts
This all comes from driver inexperience. Cars can only make up for so much of you being in over your head.
If I had had the power that comes standard in almost all vehicles today when I was 17, I would be dead.

I tell my stepkids all the time, the reason I'm a decent driver is from driving like an asshole and knowing how the
car will react, knowing to look ahead and always know your path or back the fuck off. The main one that I've
gotten better at with age though is, if you have to weave, it ain't the time to drive like that. Emotion and testosterone
are a deadly combo. Back the fuck off and turn the Manilow up.
The following 4 users liked this post by rockstar143:
BBRL (09-02-2021), Jim2301 (08-28-2021), KrylonBlue (08-20-2021), MDXAccord (08-29-2021)
Old 08-27-2021, 11:36 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 535 Likes on 273 Posts
My 9 day old (224 mile) Type S got rear ended today. 😩

Pulled in parents garage to keep dry

Last edited by KrylonBlue; 08-27-2021 at 11:38 PM.
Old 08-28-2021, 12:03 AM
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts
I feel for you man. Shitty bit of luck that is. Hope you’re not without the car for too long.
The following 2 users liked this post by Honda430:
KrylonBlue (08-28-2021), WTF.Acura (08-28-2021)
Old 08-28-2021, 12:55 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Honda430
I feel for you man. Shitty bit of luck that is. Hope you’re not without the car for too long.
I don’t know what the threshold is with collisions before frame damage can occur but I’d think the frame should be fine. However, in my mind, I keep thinking what if it’s bent and I need a new car. Getting my hands on a Apex Blue w/ Red interior Type S is going to be a nightmare. In my mind this is the car I want and if it needed to be replaced it’s the only car I’ll accept. So we shall see.
Old 08-28-2021, 04:42 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by KrylonBlue
I don’t know what the threshold is with collisions before frame damage can occur but I’d think the frame should be fine. However, in my mind, I keep thinking what if it’s bent and I need a new car. Getting my hands on a Apex Blue w/ Red interior Type S is going to be a nightmare. In my mind this is the car I want and if it needed to be replaced it’s the only car I’ll accept. So we shall see.
So sorry for your luck - the first couple weeks of driving a new car for me are always a mixture of fun and sheer terror of getting a ding or even worse having this happen. Hope things work out for you!
The following 5 users liked this post by CheeseyPoofs McNut:
KrylonBlue (08-28-2021), one4all (09-05-2021), pyrodan007 (08-28-2021), robnalex (08-28-2021), WTF.Acura (08-28-2021)
Old 08-28-2021, 06:17 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
if the unibody frame is tweaked, it can be pulled out back to factory specs.
it doesnt look like a hard hit to where it completely crumpled the unibody frame.

it will be pulled back out to factory specs and you will be back in the car! hopefully!

the impact completely missed the crash beam bumper.
The following users liked this post:
KrylonBlue (08-28-2021)
Old 08-28-2021, 07:49 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by justnspace
if the unibody frame is tweaked, it can be pulled out back to factory specs.
it doesnt look like a hard hit to where it completely crumpled the unibody frame.

it will be pulled back out to factory specs and you will be back in the car! hopefully!

the impact completely missed the crash beam bumper.
Thats what I’m thinking. It wasn’t too hard honestly. I barely moved and I was doing 25 in a 25 and she, coming out of the same turn I did, slammed the gas and slammed right into me. She had no bumper damage other than her plate falling off but her car was smoking and leaking fluids.

it doesn’t look too bad. I just can’t drive it until it’s fixed due to the sensors going off randomly due to them being lodged in the bumper.
Old 08-28-2021, 08:12 AM
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 86 Posts
I'm so sorry for you! That seriously bites! Did the person who hit you stop and stay for the police report? I got rear-ended once, and the guy fled the scene like a bat out of hell.
KrylonBlue (08-28-2021)
Old 08-28-2021, 08:18 AM
Drifting

Thats what I’m thinking. It wasn’t too hard honestly. I barely moved and I was doing 25 in a 25 and she, coming out of the same turn I did, slammed the gas and slammed right into me. She had no bumper damage other than her plate falling off but her car was smoking and leaking fluids.

it doesn’t look too bad. I just can’t drive it until it’s fixed due to the sensors going off randomly due to them being lodged in the bumper.
Really bad luck. I was rear-ended too but nowhere near as bad as what your pics show.

Hope you get your car back soon!
Old 08-28-2021, 08:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
Very sorry this happened to you. So many people out there who drive like crap! I wish you the best in getting your car repaired. I hope you weren't injured.
Old 08-28-2021, 12:07 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by robnalex
I'm so sorry for you! That seriously bites! Did the person who hit you stop and stay for the police report? I got rear-ended once, and the guy fled the scene like a bat out of hell.
She did stay but couldn’t provide insurance information. She says she has Geico so we shall see.

Also, I’m okay. Her car had no bumper damage but her radiator was gone and her car was smoking. Not even sure how that happened.

My damage appears to be trunk area and bumper. I had to struggle to open the battery compartment because it’s slightly pushed in but I got it open. That foam for the tire fixer was wedged in a bit. Doesn’t look too serious but still frustrating because body shops are telling me it will be about a month before it even gets started for repair.
Old 08-28-2021, 03:43 PM
AZ Community Team

A few images attempting to show the damage within the bumper area. It looks to me that the trunk was only pushed in slightly so I figure that’ll be a swap out with a new bumper. Trunk lid looks okay but they’ll be the judge of that. It may need to be repainted due to some scratches that may be a bit deep.

The passenger rear quarter panel chipped about an inch line on the inside where the trunk lid meets so I figure that’ll need a repaint also as touching it up would be easy to see.

Beyond that my car is telling me my Traction Control system and other systems are disabled and need service. But that may be due to disconnecting the battery to shut the puddle lights off as those weren’t triggered before disconnection. I realized I should have just pushed the trigger switch in the trunk so the car thinks it’s closed. No big deal though.

I wish I could get better photos but it appears this should be a quick fix once the car gets into the shop. I’m told it’ll be a month before they can work on it though. 😩
Old 08-28-2021, 09:45 PM
AZ Community Team

Old 08-28-2021, 10:40 PM
Racer

Received 310 Likes on 143 Posts
Those are likely from having the battery disconnected. Happened to me when I had it disconnected when installing the door trim pieces. They cleared after driving for a minute or two.

Sorry to hear about the accident. Glad you're okay and hopefully the car gets repaired soon.
KrylonBlue (08-28-2021)
Old 08-28-2021, 10:53 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Camaro194
Those are likely from having the battery disconnected. Happened to me when I had it disconnected when installing the door trim pieces. They cleared after driving for a minute or two.

Sorry to hear about the accident. Glad you're okay and hopefully the car gets repaired soon.
For sure. The lights weren’t on after the accident. They came on after disconnecting the battery.

also, any way to find my radio code? It said I can hold down power for 10 seconds to access radio which I did but I assume it’s temporary. There’s no code in my manual so I assume the dealer has to tell me? Not that it’s important as I won’t be driving it until it’s fixed.

As for time frame. Won’t be in the shop until the third or fourth week of September.

Last edited by KrylonBlue; 08-28-2021 at 10:56 PM.
Old 08-29-2021, 12:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 670 Likes on 416 Posts
For sure. The lights weren’t on after the accident. They came on after disconnecting the battery.

also, any way to find my radio code? It said I can hold down power for 10 seconds to access radio which I did but I assume it’s temporary. There’s no code in my manual so I assume the dealer has to tell me? Not that it’s important as I won’t be driving it until it’s fixed.

As for time frame. Won’t be in the shop until the third or fourth week of September.
Glad you're ok. Hopefully they can repair it to looking like new again with no discernible signs it was ever in a collision.

As for the radio, I know with my old CR-V, I took it to the dealer and the service writers just ran the VIN and were able to get my radio code. They wrote it down for me on a business card if I ever needed it in the future, which I did since any time the battery was disconnected the code needed to be re-entered.
Old 08-29-2021, 12:43 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by leomio2.0
Glad you're ok. Hopefully they can repair it to looking like new again with no discernible signs it was ever in a collision.

As for the radio, I know with my old CR-V, I took it to the dealer and the service writers just ran the VIN and were able to get my radio code. They wrote it down for me on a business card if I ever needed it in the future, which I did since any time the battery was disconnected the code needed to be re-entered.
I won’t be driving it to the dealership anytime soon but I have my salesman’s number so I’ll see if he can grab it for me. He was in disbelief when I sent him photos of my wrecked car since he knows the excitement level I had for this car.
Old 08-29-2021, 07:15 AM
Racer

Mine did the same with the radio and it also cleared itself after driving for a minute. I don't have my code either.
Old 08-29-2021, 08:12 AM
Pro

Received 537 Likes on 264 Posts
Damn. I recall how excited you were waiting for this car. Hopefully with a new bumper she will be looking as good as new. Keep us posted.
Old 08-29-2021, 08:37 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Sorry for the unfortunate accident but most importantly, you're OK. After my wife's accident nearly two years ago, which she is still suffering from pain to this day, things can always be worse and change in a blink of an eye. I'm sure insurance will repair the vehicle. Be patient and keep us posted. The process can be a pain in the ass.
Old 08-29-2021, 08:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, I’ve been rear-ended four times: once in my black NSX, twice in the R8 V10, and once in the TLX A-Spec. Cars can be fixed. Good thing no one was hurt in your unfortunate accident.
KrylonBlue (08-29-2021)
Old 08-29-2021, 11:45 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by dmski
Damn. I recall how excited you were waiting for this car. Hopefully with a new bumper she will be looking as good as new. Keep us posted.
Thank you.

New bumper, pushed out or new trunk (the metal is bent in slightly), repaired or new trunk lid, repainted quarter panel (the inside edge has an inch long of paint chipped. I can't imagine anything short of a respray would look perfect given how this Apex Blue paint looks and anything less than perfect would be unacceptable.

I'm taking it to my preferred shop tomorrow for them to look at it and write up an estimate and schedule my time slot. They put a reserve in for me when I called but I need to make it official.

Sorry for the unfortunate accident but most importantly, you're OK. After my wife's accident nearly two years ago, which she is still suffering from pain to this day, things can always be worse and change in a blink of an eye. I'm sure insurance will repair the vehicle. Be patient and keep us posted. The process can be a pain in the ass.
100% true. Health is Wealth, right?

A car can be replaced even if it was totaled although I'd have been without a car for months due to the fact I'd have to order another one. But that's nothing compared to suffering bodily injury so I'm grateful for that. It's just easy to get upset over things like this -- especially when the one who caused the accident did so by continuing to accelerate despite a large car being in front of them. It's just that much worse when the car is so new that repairing it seems like a slap to the face.

Sorry to hear about your wife. I hope it becomes more manageable as time goes on.

Originally Posted by SebringSilver
If it makes you feel any better, I’ve been rear-ended four times: once in my black NSX, twice in the R8 V10, and once in the TLX A-Spec. Cars can be fixed. Good thing no one was hurt in your unfortunate accident.
Not really, but I feel more pain. All those beautiful cars being rear ended by those not paying attention. Come on people!

Originally Posted by leomio2.0

I don't see why not.

Rear bumper, passenger side rear panel (respray) and trunk lid (dent, deep scratches so respray) should be easy enough to fix for them. My main issue is that it'll be over a month before I can drive it again and if she doesn't have insurance mine will cover up to $900 in rental car fees which would end before I get my car back. I'd be on the hook for the rental fees afterwards and I can tell you with certainty I will not spend money out of my own pocket for her stupidity. But there are always options to recoup the money from her if needed.

I'll definitely be contacting my dealership to get the code. The one thing I am unsure of is why was I able to hold down the power button and bypass the code? It told me I had both options so I used the one I could at that moment. I assume it's a temporary fix and it'll ask me for the code in the near future?

Last edited by KrylonBlue; 08-29-2021 at 11:49 AM.
04WDPSeDaN (08-29-2021)
Old 08-29-2021, 12:47 PM
AZ Community Team

Officer came to my house to give me the accident information.

She was DUI with the smell of alcohol and they found marijuana in the car too. She is uninsured and the car wasn't registered and she was arrested. She refused to take a blood/urine test at the scene or at the department (of course...) so there is that.

Old 08-29-2021, 01:15 PM

Use uninsured motorist claim (if you have it)

it has a lower deductible!!!
I recently used mine!! instead of a $500 deductible, I only paid $250! I also got a higher rental allotment
Old 08-29-2021, 01:31 PM
Racer

If you need to get your radio code, you can use this site: https://radio-navicode.acura.com/

You have to go into the system settings to get the serial number. Just used it to look up mine for future reference.
The following 2 users liked this post by Camaro194:
JDM_DOHC_SiR (08-29-2021), KrylonBlue (08-29-2021)
Old 08-29-2021, 01:31 PM
AZ Community Team

I recently used mine!! instead of a $500 deductible, I only paid $250! I also got a higher rental allotment
My deductible is $250 all around so I used my uninsured coverage.

I don’t know when I’ll get a rental. They say it’ll be once the car goes in but I told her I’d need it now. I guess it depends if they deem the car drivable until it’s in the shop. I told them that even if it’s drivable, which is it, the trunk doesn’t close and even tied down water and dirt will enter and ruin the brand new car. She notated that and I’ll stand by it.

im not crazy, right? I’m not letting water build up in this cars trunk… the cabin will smell awful on no time
MarcoTLX (08-29-2021)
Old 08-29-2021, 01:40 PM
Drifting

Only issue is I don't see how the premium doesn't go up. An incident, even not at fault, is an incident. Auto insurance companies track this since they know the frequency of accidents for any given area.
Old 08-29-2021, 01:42 PM
Drifting

My deductible is $250 all around so I used my uninsured coverage.

I don’t know when I’ll get a rental. They say it’ll be once the car goes in but I told her I’d need it now. I guess it depends if they deem the car drivable until it’s in the shop. I told them that even if it’s drivable, which is it, the trunk doesn’t close and even tied down water and dirt will enter and ruin the brand new car. She notated that and I’ll stand by it.

im not crazy, right? I’m not letting water build up in this cars trunk… the cabin will smell awful on no time
That's the right call. You don't want to add to the issues, especially since the other party should be paying for EVERY SINGLE inconvenience.
Old 08-29-2021, 01:43 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by ELIN
Only issue is I don't see how the premium doesn't go up. An incident, even not at fault, is an incident. Auto insurance companies track this since they know the frequency of accidents for any given area.
This is my biggest concern.

If my rates go up and I'm held responsible for being a safe driver just because someone was drunk, high and driving uninsured there is a major problem.

I'm also being told she has no home address and has been staying at a hotel. She claimed to have a job but later retracted that and says she doesn't work at all and has no income. The cars VIN number isn't even showing as registered from what the Officer had told me too. Literally the worst type of person to have an issue with as there isn't much I can go after her for.
Old 08-29-2021, 01:55 PM
Drifting

If my rates go up and I'm held responsible for being a safe driver just because someone was drunk, high and driving uninsured there is a major problem.

I'm also being told she has no home address and has been staying at a hotel. She claimed to have a job but later retracted that and says she doesn't work at all and has no income. The cars VIN number isn't even showing as registered from what the Officer had told me too. Literally the worst type of person to have an issue with as there isn't much I can go after her for.
At the end of the day, the insurance company has no one to chase so you'll be left holding the bag. As everyone said, you have your health which is the best you can hope for in such an accident.

You may want to avoid driving that part of the road from now on unless it's a major street you can't avoid.
Old 08-29-2021, 01:57 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by ELIN
At the end of the day, the insurance company has no one to chase so you'll be left holding the bag. As everyone said, you have your health which is the best you can hope for in such an accident.

You may want to avoid driving that part of the road from now on unless it's a major street you can't avoid.
It's the road that leads to my subdivision. I was literally 10 seconds from turning left into my neighborhood. It's a 25mph zone because there is a school near by and residential. Due to the school Police run radar often around there.

It's not a dangerous road. She was just an idiot.

Last edited by KrylonBlue; 08-29-2021 at 02:01 PM.
Old 08-29-2021, 02:04 PM
Drifting

It's the road that leads to my subdivision. I was literally 10 seconds from turning left into my neighborhood.

It's not a dangerous road. She was just an idiot.
Accidents so close to home are the most painful as you start asking yourself a bunch of "what if" questions.

Cheer up and keep making the right decisions to bring your baby back good as new!
The following 2 users liked this post by ELIN:
KrylonBlue (08-29-2021), MarcoTLX (08-29-2021)
Old 08-29-2021, 02:26 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Officer came to my house to give me the accident information.

She was DUI with the smell of alcohol and they found marijuana in the car too. She is uninsured and the car wasn't registered and she was arrested. She refused to take a blood/urine test at the scene or at the department (of course...) so there is that.

My mother in law keeps getting plowed by DUI drivers.. Ironically enough, she also has a drinking issue..

For my wife's accident, I hired an attorney to go after the trucking company that caused the accident. Police report said "Both parties at fault" which was total BS if you look at the damages and witness said what happened. I got jammed on insurance. Long story short, the trucking CO had dash cam footage, which shows the truck driver at fault. I ended up getting payment back from my (then used) insurance company (deductible and premium surge). It's a long battle, insurance companies are only in it for themselves. I had a 750K limit on medical (full insurance, highest coverages) and they fought my wife on medical needs. I ended up suing my insurance company as well and now they don't decline anything medical.
The following 2 users liked this post by 04WDPSeDaN:
KrylonBlue (08-29-2021), MarcoTLX (08-29-2021)
Old 08-29-2021, 06:45 PM
AZ Community Team

I looked up the name of the offender who hit me and found out in May 2020 she was arrested for driving while intoxicated, obstructing justice and 2 counts of resisting arrest.

That’s great.
Old 08-29-2021, 07:02 PM

LOL, no reason to look her up.

your insurance will deal with everything. dont you worry about a thing.
KrylonBlue (08-29-2021)
Old 08-29-2021, 07:08 PM
AZ Community Team

LOL, no reason to look her up.

your insurance will deal with everything. dont you worry about a thing.
Family was curious so I did it.

I know I don’t need to do much at this point. It’s just annoying to see repeat offenders driving drunk again.
Old 08-30-2021, 06:57 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,939 Likes on 14,469 Posts
My mother in law keeps getting plowed by DUI drivers.. Ironically enough, she also has a drinking issue..
No disrespect but any further info on the mother in law getting plowed?
Just doing a little investigating.

This thread reminds me that all cars have a history as soon as they hit the streets (and sometimes on the dealer lot).
Annoying as heck but it's great that OP is getting it sorted out.
WTF.Acura (08-30-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 09:15 AM
Car Enthusiast

Received 159 Likes on 87 Posts

Dang...that sucks balls. For schiet and giggles, you should change your avatar to this photo.

Originally Posted by rockstar143
No disrespect but any further info on the mother in law getting plowed?
Just doing a little investigating.
Hmmmm! What kind of investigation are you working on?

Quick Reply: Crashed TLX Type-S 6 days ago...