Car Wash Mode and Volume Control

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2023, 04:44 PM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts
Car Wash Mode and Volume Control

My wife just picked up a new 2022 TLX A-Spec in red. I have two quick questions. On earlier models you could prevent transmission damage when the car was not occupied while going through a carwash by fastening the driver's seatbelt. Does this trick still work. Second question is whether the steering wheel volume controls work when using an app like Spotify when using Android Auto. When she first tried this, it didn't seem to work. Thanks
Old 01-21-2023, 07:17 PM
Adept Acura Enthusiast

Received 315 Likes on 212 Posts
Originally Posted by smoore
My wife just picked up a new 2022 TLX A-Spec in red. I have two quick questions. On earlier models you could prevent transmission damage when the car was not occupied while going through a carwash by fastening the driver's seatbelt. Does this trick still work. Second question is whether the steering wheel volume controls work when using an app like Spotify when using Android Auto. When she first tried this, it didn't seem to work. Thanks
first question… uhh not sure about a seatbelt preventing that I usually use touch-less car washes and just put it in park as the one I use doesn’t have no conveyor belt mechanisms

second question, it should I know it works for Apple CarPlay
Old 01-21-2023, 08:48 PM
Pro

Received 175 Likes on 104 Posts
Trust me, ONLY use touchless automatic car washes. I was using a reputable soft-touch car wash when I first got my 21 RDX Aspec (Apex Blue), and it absolutely destroyed my paint! It was scratched beyond belief. It took some major buffing to get it looking decent again. I will NEVER use a soft-touch wash again! You will regret it! This is 3 months of washing the car 2-3x per month!!!!!!!!!
The following users liked this post:
bilirubin (01-22-2023)
Old 01-22-2023, 06:11 AM
Pro

Received 495 Likes on 242 Posts
My wife just picked up a new 2022 TLX A-Spec in red. I have two quick questions. On earlier models you could prevent transmission damage when the car was not occupied while going through a carwash by fastening the driver's seatbelt. Does this trick still work.
I almost always handwash my car at a self-serve or at home, but in a bind I'll use a touchless automatic wash (no contact including no rails). Never use any automatic contact wash. Even when they call it "soft touch", the moving cloths carry grit from the previous vehicles that will create swirl and marring on your clear coat. I learned that the hard way with my first car.
Also at the self-serve, never use the foaming brush as that carries tons of grit from the previous cars.
Old 01-22-2023, 08:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 380 Likes on 223 Posts
Originally Posted by swttsx007
Trust me, ONLY use touchless automatic car washes. I was using a reputable soft-touch car wash when I first got my 21 RDX Aspec (Apex Blue), and it absolutely destroyed my paint! It was scratched beyond belief. It took some major buffing to get it looking decent again. I will NEVER use a soft-touch wash again! You will regret it! This is 3 months of washing the car 2-3x per month!!!!!!!!!
I had the blue in the first gen tlx. It had micro scratches all over it and I hand washed it only. For whatever reason in certain lighting the blue really shows ever tiny scratch. When I picked it up from the dealer new it already had a ton of them just from whatever the dealer did to prep it. I really wanted silver but of course Acura deleted that color option from the A-Spec just like they do with the type-S. I never got with all of the colors they offer that silver, which is a top 3 color choice on cars, wasn't an option then and is not now on the type S model. I get they want to stand out with something the tiger eye (GOLD) color but the uptake on silver would far exceed the number of people that would take gold.
a35tl (01-28-2023)
Old 01-22-2023, 11:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 651 Likes on 350 Posts
The steering volume controls work. What i will say is that they are slow to increase/decrease volume. Annoyingly slow. I use the knob the most.

Old 01-23-2023, 03:54 PM
Vroooom!!!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I avoid automated car washes at all costs. If I can't hand wash, it stays dirty until I can.

Only time the volume rocker on the steering wheel doesn't work for me is if the car is off (radio still on and I haven't open the driver's door yet) or on "accessory" mode. Otherwise, the steering wheel controls should work regardless of the music source.
Old 01-23-2023, 10:43 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 534 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by swttsx007
This is why I purchased a power washer and other supplies to use at home. Obviously I don’t wash my car at home during the winter but during warmer months I will do it. During the winter and a few times during the warmer months I will make the 30 minute drive to my favorite detailer and have them wash it/ensure the ceramic coating they applied is maintained well. Even touchless washes can be harmful to paint and wear out ceramic coatings because of the harsher chemicals used in the soaps when compared to more pH balanced soaps.
Old 01-24-2023, 07:39 AM
Pro

Received 495 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by KrylonBlue
This is why I purchased a power washer and other supplies to use at home. Obviously I don’t wash my car at home during the winter but during warmer months I will do it. During the winter and a few times during the warmer months I will make the 30 minute drive to my favorite detailer and have them wash it/ensure the ceramic coating they applied is maintained well. Even touchless washes can be harmful to paint and wear out ceramic coatings because of the harsher chemicals used in the soaps when compared to more pH balanced soaps.
In the winter, I go to the self-serve wash but I bring my own pH neutral soap (Koch Chemie GSF) in foam pump-sprayer (Marolex 3000), and my cordless leaf blower (Ego 530) to dry. The only thing I pay for there is a few bucks on the spot-less rinse. Not perfect as it's a non-contact wash, but does about 90% of the job without any swirling or marring of the paint.
Old 01-24-2023, 05:02 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 534 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by bilirubin
In the winter, I go to the self-serve wash but I bring my own pH neutral soap (Koch Chemie GSF) in foam pump-sprayer (Marolex 3000), and my cordless leaf blower (Ego 530) to dry. The only thing I pay for there is a few bucks on the spot-less rinse. Not perfect as it's a non-contact wash, but does about 90% of the job without any swirling or marring of the paint.
Thats a great alternative to my methods for sure!

I just go to my detailer because I already spent $3200 on ceramic coating and PPF. I have no issues supporting their business all the while they make my car look as if it was just waxed and spotless. But that’s the benefits of the ceramic coating and I have no regrets there.
bilirubin (01-25-2023)