Apple CarPlay “Siri” is a disaster in this car.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2022, 05:44 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 539 Likes on 276 Posts
Apple CarPlay “Siri” is a disaster in this car.

In my 2019 TLX or when using my AirPods Pro (the latter was last tested today) I can say things such as “Hey Siri, shuffle my rock playlist” and she will do it 100% of the time. I can also say “Hey Siri, call mom or message Mom” and it’ll work flawlessly.

If I say “shuffle my rock playlist” in my Type S she will just randomly start a rock playlist that isn’t mine. I can get her to play my playlist without shuffle which isn’t an option for me wanting to do. Also, when I say “call mom or message mom” it acts like it’s loading and then it just cancels out 80% of the time.

What in the world is wrong with this cars Infotainment and CarPlay system?

Last edited by KrylonBlue; 01-11-2022 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-11-2022, 06:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
I dont see how this is the car's fault. Siri is Siri. The car has no bearing on how Siri responds to your commands unless it can't decipher what you are saying.
Old 01-11-2022, 07:17 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Nexx
I dont see how this is the car's fault. Siri is Siri. The car has no bearing on how Siri responds to your commands unless it can't decipher what you are saying.
Thats what my assumption initially was. But even if I hold the phone in the same spot while it’s plugged in it’ll have the same failed result. If I unplug from the car without changing phone position it’ll perform the command just as I tell it to.

Siri is incapable of shuffling my playlists and fails to initiate a call when connected the majority of the time when connected to my car. In a louder vehicle I drive for work with the phone even further the commands work much better but it’s not connected to CarPlay.

There is something up with the way CarPlay works and it started the day I bought my Type S. The commands worked fine in my 2019 ASPEC and still work fine in my girlfriends Kia Soul.

Edit: I just ran out to my car and asked it to “Shuffle my rock playlist” followed by “Shuffle my Electronic playlist”. The commands worked while disconnected from CarPlay. In the same environment I did the same commands with CarPlay active and it started my electronic and rock playlists but not shuffled. This has been an ongoing issue with both my previous iPhone 12 Pro and my current iPhone 13 Pro.

Edit 2: I should also note that this was also an issue with a 2021 ASPEC TLX loaner. The 2021 RDX ASPEC loaner I once drove for a few days had no issues nor did the slow Nissan Kicks I had for a month while my car was in the shop for a rear end collision. But since day one the Type S has been giving me issues with Siri. I know Siri hears me fine because if I am able to initiate a text through voice the text is fairly accurate so the system clearly hears my words.

I swear one day I’ll figure this out… lol

Last edited by KrylonBlue; 01-11-2022 at 07:25 PM.
Old 01-11-2022, 08:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts
I thought when you use CarPlay in a car, it's uses the car's microphone and speakers?
If so, wouldn't a "different mic" potentially change how well the Voice Recognition works ?
The following users liked this post:
KrylonBlue (01-11-2022)
Old 01-11-2022, 08:42 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Tesla1856
I thought when you use CarPlay in a car, it's uses the car's microphone and speakers?
If so, wouldn't a "different mic" potentially change how well the Voice Recognition works ?

That’s something I’ve thought happened and it’s why I’m concerned it’s an issue with the way it hears certain commands. Again, it’s obviously hearing me because it knows I want a rock playlist. But it seems to miss the part that I want MY playlist shuffled. And if it does allow me to play my playlist it’ll still miss the shuffle.

It’s also missing my commands to call someone. It’s just not initiating it at all but this feels more like a software issue as this command normally fixes with a disconnect and reconnect. The other voice commands are so bad though with no solution.
Old 01-12-2022, 08:42 AM
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by KrylonBlue
That’s something I’ve thought happened and it’s why I’m concerned it’s an issue with the way it hears certain commands. Again, it’s obviously hearing me because it knows I want a rock playlist. But it seems to miss the part that I want MY playlist shuffled. And if it does allow me to play my playlist it’ll still miss the shuffle.

It’s also missing my commands to call someone. It’s just not initiating it at all but this feels more like a software issue as this command normally fixes with a disconnect and reconnect. The other voice commands are so bad though with no solution.
I find it works somewhat better in my '21 A-Spec when using the talk button (press and hold, so the car knows you are not talking to its own voice command interface) on the steering wheel to give Siri her marching orders. "Hey Siri" method when connected in the car seems to deliver less consistent accuracy in how she follows directions. There's no good reason for this that I can think of. Many have reported carplay issues with the TLX2, both the 4 cylinder and Type S. My own issues have been almost completely resolved by using a better USB cable. My phone is an XR by the way; running iOS 15.2 - I keep it updated.
KrylonBlue (01-13-2022)
Old 01-12-2022, 08:53 AM
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 120 Posts
Idle speculation time: Before upgrading my USB cable, I found that starting the car, waiting for the head unit to fully boot up as well as the nav (about 20 seconds), then connecting the phone and waiting for carplay to fully boot up (which visually for me is when the google maps satellite view fully loads), then starting the tunes mitigated most issues but not all. I still do this out of habit now that I have the better USB cable. Perhaps if the system is being forced to boot everything up at the same time when hitting the ignition (internal head unit and nav, bluetooth detection, detecting phone is connected and cancelling bluetooth in favor of carplay, then ingesting a flood of data from a phone for carplay to work, is simply a bit too much for the car's CPU to handle more often than not - so glitches ensue. Hmmmmm.

Old 01-12-2022, 10:48 AM
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally Posted by Flapjackura
Idle speculation time: Before upgrading my USB cable, I found that starting the car, waiting for the head unit to fully boot up as well as the nav (about 20 seconds), then connecting the phone and waiting for carplay to fully boot up (which visually for me is when the google maps satellite view fully loads), then starting the tunes mitigated most issues but not all. I still do this out of habit now that I have the better USB cable. Perhaps if the system is being forced to boot everything up at the same time when hitting the ignition (internal head unit and nav, bluetooth detection, detecting phone is connected and cancelling bluetooth in favor of carplay, then ingesting a flood of data from a phone for carplay to work, is simply a bit too much for the car's CPU to handle more often than not - so glitches ensue. Hmmmmm.

So glad you shared this before. I bought the same cable for my 2021 I picked up 11/26, and it was better, but I also realized this head unit is SOOOOO slow and seems overtaxxed easily. So, routine now is start, let it do it's 1982 DOS desktop spinning wheel of warm up for a while, then give it more time, then plug in.

Still glitches out if trying to do Google maps directions and Apple music on a 2nd restart or later drives, but this advice did help. It works well when it does, but is super slow--and is different all together than earlier gens, so that audio vs. Siri vs. AirPods is definitely possible.

I have multiple different vehicles with CarPlay, and change often, and one thing that's royally different between them is how the audio sources get managed. Given that the 2021 TLX was an all new setup vs older gens, no doubt they also remapped how audio sources are handled. Hmm.
Flapjackura (01-12-2022)
Old 01-12-2022, 05:29 PM
AZ Community Team

I find it works somewhat better in my '21 A-Spec when using the talk button (press and hold, so the car knows you are not talking to its own voice command interface) on the steering wheel to give Siri her marching orders. "Hey Siri" method when connected in the car seems to deliver less consistent accuracy in how she follows directions. There's no good reason for this that I can think of. Many have reported carplay issues with the TLX2, both the 4 cylinder and Type S. My own issues have been almost completely resolved by using a better USB cable. My phone is an XR by the way; running iOS 15.2 - I keep it updated.
You are a life saver!

I attempted to do hands free commands with “hey Siri” and once again Siri missed the shuffle command. Siri just won’t do it. Afterwards I used the button on the wheel 5x going from rock to electronic on shuffle and it works every time as did calls and text messaging. I tried to do it hands free again and once again no shuffle and it wouldn’t activate a call.

What the heck is going on. Siri is activating both ways but only responds to commands properly with a button press. It’s not microphone positioning because as I said above the issue persists only when connected to the car.
Old 01-12-2022, 07:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Only mentioning this because it's Acura related ... and using the vehicle's mic.

The 2nd-Gen Tech in the 2014-MDX, specifically, the Voice-Recognition was fairly poor. I mean, I could get it to work pretty good (as I knew how to press the button, wait for the chime, and then talk clearly and slowly). On the other hand, my wife really had troubles with it (and it was HER vehicle). She would get really upset trying to talk with the car. She was starting to hate it.

This was "using the vehicle" for everything. Back then, there was no Apple-CarPlay . Even Siri eyes-free didn't come until 2017 models (with a faster head-units). We paid-for and used AcuraLink subscription for all the 6 years we owned it.

It also liked to "hear" and dial these strange contacts/numbers that were not even in her iPhone Address book. I had videos and (really good) Service Advisor could not explain what he saw. He said he got them submitted to proper dept inside Acura corporate.

Anyway, I just made the 5 people she ever needed to call ... Favorites. They appeared in the little LCD in the middle of driver's instrument cluster. She could select them with the steering-wheel scroll-wheel. Problem solved (back to loving her Acura again).

So, now ... you have 3rd-Gen Tech (IIRC). If you want it fixed, I suggest you contact Dealer, Acura Relations, etc. and report the problems. That is the only way it will get fixed. Otherwise, you might have to look for a work-around for whatever part of the Tech that is most important to you.

Last edited by Tesla1856; 01-12-2022 at 07:18 PM.
KrylonBlue (01-12-2022)
Old 01-13-2022, 06:44 PM
Drifting

Received 1,238 Likes on 896 Posts

When backing out of the garage, I wait until the system fully boots up before connecting the cable to the phone. Big difference!
Old 01-13-2022, 10:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
I always use the talk button to access the vehicle system or Siri and have never had an issue. Once I've loaded my Spotify play list, I refer to it as" my Spotify playlist" when asking it to play a particular song. Again, no issues. Also, my system boots in 6-10 seconds max, so don't consider this an issue. One big improvement is the clarity of the sound for those receiving a call from me. They cleared up that issue from my 2018 TLX.
Old 01-19-2022, 12:53 AM
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Just finished an OS upgrade to my iPhone 11 that noted “fixes” for Apple Car Play. I’ll see if there are any improvements tomorrow.
Old 01-19-2022, 01:00 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by KidK
Just finished an OS upgrade to my iPhone 11 that noted “fixes” for Apple Car Play. I’ll see if there are any improvements tomorrow.
I’ve had this update on my iPhone 13 Pro for a while now and there wasn’t much improvement except that it crashes a bit less. I still fine voice commands when initiated by “hey Siri” are very poorly implemented. However, as recommended above, holding the voice button works 100% of the time. Not sure why but it triggers differently.
Old 01-22-2022, 02:19 PM
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 73 Posts
i had an iPhone for over 5 years and never use siri or Apple car play. All i need is my XM but some ppl are used to it.
Old 01-22-2022, 03:36 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by TypeS22
i had an iPhone for over 5 years and never use siri or Apple car play. All i need is my XM but some ppl are used to it.
I had SiriusXM for years but it’s still traditional radio in the sense that they play what they do and if I don’t like a song I’m stuck with it. Apple Music or other services such as Spotify offer far better options when it comes to music listening which is what I prefer. If someone is into talk radio or other specialty programming then SiriusXM is likely ideal for them. I can’t justify paying more for a radio service than I pay for an unlimited on demand streaming service though.
The following 3 users liked this post by KrylonBlue:
BEAR-AvHistory (01-22-2022), Flapjackura (01-23-2022), MarcoTLX (01-22-2022)
Old 01-22-2022, 07:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TypeS22
i had an iPhone for over 5 years and never use siri
Wow.

And if you use voice recognition to type words into Texts, that is basically Siri also.
Old 01-22-2022, 07:58 PM
Burning Brakes

I can’t justify paying more for a radio service than I pay for an unlimited on demand streaming service though.
Agreed.

My thing is we already pay for a Subscription in the Q5-e (the wife likes S-XM) and they don't really give you a break on multiple subscriptions (even when not used concurrently). However, we can (finally) stream for free (anywhere else you can load the app or use a browser). So, if I want to listen the S-XM in my A5-Coupe ... I just load the iOS S-XM App on my iPhone and use Wireless CarPlay to listen for free. But I prefer 320k MP3, and both stereo and 6-ch FLACs.

Last edited by Tesla1856; 01-22-2022 at 08:02 PM.
KrylonBlue (01-22-2022)
Old 01-22-2022, 08:25 PM
AZ Community Team

Agreed.

My thing is we already pay for a Subscription in the Q5-e (the wife likes S-XM) and they don't really give you a break on multiple subscriptions (even when not used concurrently). However, we can (finally) stream for free (anywhere else you can load the app or use a browser). So, if I want to listen the S-XM in my A5-Coupe ... I just load the iOS S-XM App on my iPhone and use Wireless CarPlay to listen for free. But I prefer 320k MP3, and both stereo and 6-ch FLACs.
I don’t use Bluetooth in my car. I could be wrong but I think Apple CarPlay can pass lossless audio which is what I download files to my phone with. Either way, the Type S has one hell of a sound system.
Old 01-22-2022, 11:35 PM
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Agreed.

I felt like the sound quality was terrible from XM in my TLX. Even an iPod via a Aux cord sounds better. No Bass no feel to the music when you crank it. I've got a 700W stereo, I should feel the music.

If you want to save on XM, you've got to cancel it, or at least attempt to and they'll offer you deals to stay or to sign back up.
KrylonBlue (01-23-2022)
Old 01-23-2022, 01:12 AM
Burning Brakes

1. I don’t use Bluetooth in my car.

2. I could be wrong but I think Apple CarPlay can pass lossless audio which is what I download files to my phone with. Either way, the Type S has one hell of a sound system.
1. Well, Bluetooth is nice since you can be hands-free (or call/answer from steering-wheel) and it does things like mute the music when you get a call.

2. Pretty sure Apple Wireless CarPlay is WiFi based.
Old 01-23-2022, 01:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jwtarbaj
1. I felt like the sound quality was terrible from XM in my TLX.

2. If you want to save on XM, you've got to cancel it, or at least attempt to and they'll offer you deals to stay or to sign back up.
1. Well, yes ... it is compressed like most streaming services. In the old 2014-MDX it sounded fine, but haven't played with it in a new TLX, so not sure about Acura's implementation on this new MMI.

2. Good tip for people. Yes, we have done that many times over the years (on same subscription with both of her cars). It does get around 50% cheaper per vehicle. But in my car, I simply don't want to pay for it. I have 40gb of (mostly hi-res) music on a 64gb flash-drive. If I want to listen to "the radio" we have many good FM channels in (free and now digital-based) HD-Radio.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tesla1856:
KrylonBlue (01-23-2022), MarcoTLX (01-23-2022)
Old 01-23-2022, 01:53 AM
AZ Community Team

1. Well, Bluetooth is nice since you can be hands-free (or call/answer from steering-wheel) and it does things like mute the music when you get a call.

2. Pretty sure Apple Wireless CarPlay is WiFi based.
Its wired in the TLX but yes it should be Wi-Fi based on wireless CarPlay.
Old 01-23-2022, 02:16 AM
AZ Community Team

1. Well, yes ... it is compressed like most streaming services. In the old 2014-MDX it sounded fine, but haven't played with it in a new TLX, so not sure about Acura's implementation on this new MMI.

2. Good tip for people. Yes, we have done that many times over the years (on same subscription with both of her cars). It does get around 50% cheaper per vehicle. But in my car, I simply don't want to pay for it. I have 40gb of (mostly hi-res) music on a 64gb flash-drive. If I want to listen to "the radio" we have many good FM channels in (free and now digital-based) HD-Radio.
I listened to SiriusXM a little bit during my trial period and felt the audio was average at best. It definitely was missing the bass and some clarity and the ELS system in the TLX is fantastic. Granted, I’m comparing it to mostly lossless audio through Apple CarPlay so it’s not really a fair comparison but it does show the quality between the two. Bluetooth on the other hand in any car or headphones I’ve used exaggerates the bass to cover up it’s bit loss.
Old 01-24-2022, 11:25 PM
Advanced

Problem I have with using the USB Drive is then you can't hook up your phone for AA or CP.
Old 01-24-2022, 11:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jwtarbaj
Problem I have with using the USB Drive is then you can't hook up your phone for AA or CP.
So, the G2 TLX only has One (data capable) USB-port and no Wireless CarPlay or AA. Interesting. I will try to keep that in-mind.

But really, there above, I was just posting what I do. In my Audi-A5 (which is by no-means their "best car" ) I have 2 data-capable USB ports, in addition to Wireless-CarPlay. Pretty sure you can concurrently use one of those USB-Ports for WIRED CP or AA ( and use that instead of the wireless way). I normally just use it for a second music-drive.

I figured this Acura MMI (in the new TLX and recent RDX) was similar. But admittingly ... I didn't get that far with it during my TLX test-drives . I just played some files from a USB-Flash-Drive I brought with me (I never tried to connect my iPhone in any way).
Old 01-27-2022, 12:00 AM
Advanced

So, the G2 TLX only has One (data capable) USB-port and no Wireless CarPlay or AA. Interesting. I will try to keep that in-mind.

But really, there above, I was just posting what I do. In my Audi-A5 (which is by no-means their "best car" ) I have 2 data-capable USB ports, in addition to Wireless-CarPlay. Pretty sure you can concurrently use one of those USB-Ports for WIRED CP or AA ( and use that instead of the wireless way). I normally just use it for a second music-drive.

I figured this Acura MMI (in the new TLX and recent RDX) was similar. But admittingly ... I didn't get that far with it during my TLX test-drives . I just played some files from a USB-Flash-Drive I brought with me (I never tried to connect my iPhone in any way).
Oddly enough one charging port, one data port. My 2018 Accord had two data ports. I rocked USB Drive for Audio and a C Cable for my AA. Acura farked that one up good.