Acura says "NO vehicles for Dec. ordering!"

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2021, 05:01 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 444 Likes on 303 Posts
Acura says "NO vehicles for Dec. ordering!"

I put this here, but, it should be somewhere so all of Acura's interested customers can see.

Acura just told all dealers they will not get any allocations for Dec. and that includes ALL Acura models.
It appears to be a combination of many "issues" going on with supply parts, workers, transportation...who
knows, but, I'm sure it's NOT a problem with Acura themselves.

Sad to hear. Just came out this morning, from Acura, to all dealers.

Looks like my wait and other's for a Type S will be a long wait....as it is for the MDX which is a big hit. And, the new '22 RDX is off..or was, off to a big selling start.
I pick mine up Thurs....A-Spec/Adv in white/red.
Old 12-06-2021, 10:07 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 548 Likes on 280 Posts
That's a real bummer but I always expected a shortage of vehicles from every manufacturer with the ports being backed up and parts for chips being delayed. It took a month for the body shop to get all of the parts needed to fix my Type S which was rear ended 9 days after purchasing it. They needed the rear bumper, bumper steel beam, trunk lid/spoiler lip and the internal trunk area. They had everything except the trunk part for weeks which delayed it when a normal repair would have been a week or two they said.

On a side note I am still waiting on the foam insert in the trunk for the tire repair kit, Mine was damaged in the collision and to this day that part hasn't arrived. That was ordered in late early September so as I said no shock here.

Hope everyone gets their cars sooner rather than later.
The following 2 users liked this post by KrylonBlue:
MarcoTLX (12-06-2021), norsairius (12-07-2021)
Old 12-08-2021, 09:10 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,619 Likes on 976 Posts
Really sad! Acura was doing really well this year. My rep, who is a good friend now told me they are having horrible Q4. No vehicle to sell
Old 12-08-2021, 10:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
Explains why the Red/Black TLX-S I was lining up @ my store wont happen until January.
Old 12-08-2021, 11:41 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,445 Likes on 1,892 Posts
Interesting that this seems to be affecting Acura more than other brands. You'd think Honda would want to allocate chips to their higher margin cars, unless they can produce way more Hondas than Acuras with the same amount of resources. There are currently 53 Acuras within 40 miles of me, and 41 of those are RDXs. By contrast, there are 216 Audis, 288 BMWs, 415 Mercedes. I suppose it could be nobody wants those cars and everyone wants an Acura (doubtful given that their sales numbers are historically higher than Acuras). I can't help but wonder if Honda is giving the Acura tablescraps yet again in order to prioritize their main brand.
The following users liked this post:
BEAR-AvHistory (12-09-2021)
Old 12-08-2021, 02:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 550 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
Interesting that this seems to be affecting Acura more than other brands. You'd think Honda would want to allocate chips to their higher margin cars, unless they can produce way more Hondas than Acuras with the same amount of resources. There are currently 53 Acuras within 40 miles of me, and 41 of those are RDXs. By contrast, there are 216 Audis, 288 BMWs, 415 Mercedes. I suppose it could be nobody wants those cars and everyone wants an Acura (doubtful given that their sales numbers are historically higher than Acuras). I can't help but wonder if Honda is giving the Acura tablescraps yet again in order to prioritize their main brand.
Why wouldn't they, though? Acura seems to be dying, it's now becoming a pointless brand unfortunately and with the recent announcement of moving straight to EV they may just limp it along until then.
Old 12-08-2021, 04:16 PM
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts
Originally Posted by ESHBG
Why wouldn't they, though? Acura seems to be dying, it's now becoming a pointless brand unfortunately and with the recent announcement of moving straight to EV they may just limp it along until then.
Talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill. They may have chosen not to ship cars with features deleted unlike some other manufacturers have chosen to do.
The following 5 users liked this post by Honda430:
ConradValmont (12-09-2021), Edward'TLS (12-09-2021), F23A4 (12-08-2021), Legend2TL (12-09-2021), Tony Pac (12-09-2021)
Old 12-08-2021, 06:02 PM
Instructor

Received 234 Likes on 99 Posts
My dealer currently has 9 cars listed as on the lot. 9 and i would bet its actually fewer then that. 1TLX, 1 MDX (doubt they have 1 actually in stock) 1 ILX 1 2017 NSX, the rest RDX. The lot is barren. It must be really disheartening as a sales person to know that you cant make money because there are simply no cars to sell, and it doesnt sound like anything is on the way in the immediate future.
Old 12-09-2021, 12:26 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,160 Likes on 829 Posts
Originally Posted by Honda430
Talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill. They may have chosen not to ship cars with features deleted unlike some other manufacturers have chosen to do.
Absolutely agree. It is ok with cheap econo vehicles to ship with missing features, but is a big no-no with luxury vehicles.

What good is a luxury vehicle when some luxury features are unavailable at delivery, and especially with an unknown ETA for retrofitting.

Old 12-09-2021, 05:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Absolutely agree. It is ok with cheap econo vehicles to ship with missing features, but is a big no-no with luxury vehicles.

What good is a luxury vehicle when some luxury features are unavailable at delivery, and especially with an unknown ETA for retrofitting.
Think it depends what those features are. Some are nice to have but seldom used others should deadline a car till they have the part. The M4C was built & shipped without a RAM, an amplifier for the radio. Part caught up with it at the US port of entry where it was installed during the normal (VPC) vehicle processing center operation, about a 9 day layover instead of 3. Car was then shipped to the dealer where it went through a programming upgrade to initialize the unit.

Would have taken the car without the unit if it was to be installed later as its not IMHO a critical item. iPhone & Bluetooth speaker would have filled in for it.
Old 12-09-2021, 08:18 AM
Senior Moderator

It's particularly a given for Honda/Acura as there are no options; rather, both marques sell trim levels based on equipment packages. i.e.: ELS Studio 3D is part of the A-Spec package; it's not so simple to remove it in favor of the regular ELS system when the former 'endemic' to the trim level.

Unfortunately, this packaging limits flexibility with respect to the current circumstances.
Old 12-09-2021, 08:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

Right, because having no product to sell is just a mole hill. If you need a car now and wanted an Acura are you going to wait until who knows when or cross shop and pick up one of the Audis, etc. mentioned in the post I quoted?

In looking at the long-term picture it's pretty clear to me what is going on here. Yes, some of the recent posts make good points about the packages and how that may be a part of the issue but no company on the planet would divert critical resources if a brand was making money and/or had a solid long-term plan. With the recent announcement of the move to EV I think this may be the last run of the brand as we know it.
Old 12-09-2021, 10:48 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,619 Likes on 976 Posts
Unlike BMW, Acura won't ship cars without GPS working ahahah!
And check engine saying, check the drivetrain. Real story. My neighbor bought a 330 and he has all kind of lights on and BMW is saying, don't worry, we will fix it next year when Chip issue is resolved LMAO!

Old 12-09-2021, 11:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Tony Pac
Unlike BMW, Acura won't ship cars without GPS working ahahah!
And check engine saying, check the drivetrain. Real story. My neighbor bought a 330 and he has all kind of lights on and BMW is saying, don't worry, we will fix it next year when Chip issue is resolved LMAO!
That's assuming the chip issue gets resolved next year. (seriously) I for one am so happy I got my 21 TLX/22 MDX when I did. (Looks like I might score a new 21 Chevy Colorado Z71 in a couple of weeks...would be my first straight purchase in years.)
Old 12-10-2021, 12:46 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,160 Likes on 829 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Think it depends what those features are. Some are nice to have but seldom used others should deadline a car till they have the part. The M4C was built & shipped without a RAM, an amplifier for the radio. Part caught up with it at the US port of entry where it was installed during the normal (VPC) vehicle processing center operation, about a 9 day layover instead of 3. Car was then shipped to the dealer where it went through a programming upgrade to initialize the unit.

Would have taken the car without the unit if it was to be installed later as its not IMHO a critical item. iPhone & Bluetooth speaker would have filled in for it.
Missing non-critical features are deemed acceptable. But some automakers have stepped over the line.

Using the Porsche Cayenne as an example. They are recently being shipped without the "Telescoping Steering Wheel" function among some of the (chip-related) missing features, meaning that the supposingly motor-driven-extending steering wheel is now always fixed in one position. If the steering wheel need to be adjusted to another fixed position, it is a 2-hour dealership visit that involves taking apart the dash and steering column.

Posted in a Porsche forum, a new Cayenne owner has been crying foul, because he is tall and his wife is short. As a compromise, the dealership has set the steering wheel position to midway between his and his wife's required positions. As a result, both drivers feel very uncomfortable driving in their luxury SUV, and the missing chip has no estimated date for retrofitting. Well, driving a luxury vehicle should be a very happy and enjoyable experience, but definitely not in this case.

Worst still, the owner was told about the missing "Telescoping Steering Wheel" function after having taken delivery of the luxury SUV, but not beforehand during the lengthy build-to-order waiting period.

However, some might say that they never need to adjust the steering wheel more than once throughout the entire vehicle service life. But this shows that features that are non-issue to some drivers may deem critical to others. This is why it is best to ship new vehicles only with complete feature set with no missing functions, especially for luxury vehicle buyers who spend $$$$$ purchasing their perfect luxury automobiles.

Last edited by Edward'TLS; 12-10-2021 at 12:50 AM.
DJ Iceman (12-13-2021)
Old 12-12-2021, 07:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Missing non-critical features are deemed acceptable. But some automakers have stepped over the line.

Using the Porsche Cayenne as an example. They are recently being shipped without the "Telescoping Steering Wheel" function among some of the (chip-related) missing features, meaning that the supposingly motor-driven-extending steering wheel is now always fixed in one position. If the steering wheel need to be adjusted to another fixed position, it is a 2-hour dealership visit that involves taking apart the dash and steering column.

Posted in a Porsche forum, a new Cayenne owner has been crying foul, because he is tall and his wife is short. As a compromise, the dealership has set the steering wheel position to midway between his and his wife's required positions. As a result, both drivers feel very uncomfortable driving in their luxury SUV, and the missing chip has no estimated date for retrofitting. Well, driving a luxury vehicle should be a very happy and enjoyable experience, but definitely not in this case.

Worst still, the owner was told about the missing "Telescoping Steering Wheel" function after having taken delivery of the luxury SUV, but not beforehand during the lengthy build-to-order waiting period.

However, some might say that they never need to adjust the steering wheel more than once throughout the entire vehicle service life. But this shows that features that are non-issue to some drivers may deem critical to others. This is why it is best to ship new vehicles only with complete feature set with no missing functions, especially for luxury vehicle buyers who spend $$$$$ purchasing their perfect luxury automobiles.
Think in most cases its not critical items being omitted. As far as I know, could be wrong, but just going by my experience. My car was down the phone charger but has everything else. BMW sent me $500.00 & an apology. The 2/3/4 & Z4 forums suggest BMW is leaving out HUD's, Phone Charger & Touch Screens altogether in some lines.

There will always be some caught in the middle. The way its been handled is as things go down they come off the configurator or standard equipment list. On the phone charger I was caught in the middle & its was standard equipment when I ordered the car but history when it was built thats why I got payment.

There is a RAM issue across the board but don't know exactly how they are handling it. The 2/3 series is being hit by this & possibly the 4 series. The M4C received one after the build.

The upper cost units are getting the available parts. Most of the other items that are like the RAM for the radio that can be retro fitted at either shipping port, receiving port or the dealer. In my case the receiving port installed the unit & the dealer upgraded the software that drives it. Things like the HUD that would be very difficult to retro fit are just dropped.

In the Porsche's case I think they made a bad decision or they guy who bought the car did. Not seeing their marketing data I expect Porsche is sending the cars through thinking most are single driver cars & the part is not used after the initial setting. The guy who bought the car having two drivers should not have accepted it. Had mine come in without a HUD I would have had two choices either refuse it or buy it, sell it & order another when the HUD was available. This works because of the unusual conditions in the market today has them selling very strong at auction up to $20K over MSRP for people who have to have a car right now & have the money to play with. New StingRays are doing even better getting flipped
Old 12-16-2021, 10:19 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by F23A4
That's assuming the chip issue gets resolved next year. (seriously) I for one am so happy I got my 21 TLX/22 MDX when I did. (Looks like I might score a new 21 Chevy Colorado Z71 in a couple of weeks...would be my first straight purchase in years.)

EDIT: Intel isn't putting a happy face on the chip shortgage issue:

Intel CEO warns chip shortage to last until 2023 as demand soars - Nikkei Asia
Old 12-16-2021, 10:31 AM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,245 Likes on 1,031 Posts
EDIT: Intel isn't putting a happy face on the chip shortgage issue:

Intel CEO warns chip shortage to last until 2023 as demand soars - Nikkei Asia
I can't remember if it was him (might have been or one of his peers in the industry), but remember a similar story back a few months ago. Basically saying it would be end of 2023 before capacity would catch up to demand and also calling out the automotive industry for not investing in upgraded chip technology. Said he would build and deliver whatever the automotive industry ordered, but felt it was time to invest and move forward to next gen chips.
ESHBG (12-16-2021)
Old 12-27-2021, 09:02 AM
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts
I think you are over reacting. Who is that person that is your avatar? Am I missing a joke here?
Old 12-27-2021, 09:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by E92Vancouver
I think you are over reacting. Who is that person that is your avatar? Am I missing a joke here?
Time will tell. I have been a supporter for a long time but the writing is on the wall. They will move to EV and I bet will need to do a complete rebranding/overhaul at that time.

It's Beetlejuice. Me!?
Old 12-27-2021, 12:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Time will tell. I have been a supporter for a long time but the writing is on the wall. They will move to EV and I bet will need to do a complete rebranding/overhaul at that time.

It's Beetlejuice. Me!?
Speak of the devil:

Acura's Ultium-Based Electric SUV May Bear the Name ADX

Acura's parent company, Honda, recently filed for the ADX trademark.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...suv-trademark/
Old 12-27-2021, 03:55 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 444 Likes on 303 Posts
Explains why the Red/Black TLX-S I was lining up @ my store wont happen until January.
And mine has a bld date of the first week in Feb. Hope it holds. But, I'm holding on to whenever it is built and ready to ship!
Old 12-28-2021, 12:11 AM
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 73 Posts
idk how ppl are able to wait and some ordered in June. I Simply walked in and there was 4 in stock 3 different colors. 2 white, 1 tiger and 1 gray. Whoever is still waiting I would search online daily and within 1o miles more or less and find it locally and have same day.
Old 12-28-2021, 06:56 AM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,245 Likes on 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by TypeS22
idk how ppl are able to wait and some ordered in June. I Simply walked in and there was 4 in stock 3 different colors. 2 white, 1 tiger and 1 gray. Whoever is still waiting I would search online daily and within 1o miles more or less and find it locally and have same day.
Who is the dealer that you "Simply walked in and there was 4 in stock 3 different colors......?"
Old 12-28-2021, 07:13 AM
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME
Who is the dealer that you "Simply walked in and there was 4 in stock 3 different colors......?"
im in IL so McGrath in Morton grove. Now they still have a black one left
Old 01-01-2022, 01:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by TypeS22
I Simply walked in and there was 4 in stock 3 different colors. 2 white, 1 tiger and 1 gray.
So, you got the white TLX Type-S V6?

Does it look exactly like the white one in the first Acura intro video, where Jon Ikeda is first talking about it?