2018 Accord 2.0 Sport to 2021 TLX Advanced SH-AWD

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2021, 08:46 AM
Drifting

Received 1,231 Likes on 890 Posts
Originally Posted by gingrbredman
Thanks! Didn't mean to imply there were no posts about the 2021, just not as many and active as you would see in a second or third year in a new model, but do expect that to keep changing. Wanted to first comment on the OP's new car, really like the selection and comparison. Will check out the other threads as well you posted, thanks!
No worries! Happy reading!
The following users liked this post:
gingrbredman (04-27-2021)
Old 04-27-2021, 08:52 AM
®

Received 473 Likes on 224 Posts
Originally Posted by frainc
I have a FWD TLX Tech and love it. I do know how great the SH-AWD drive is because I once had a MDX with it. I seen my Majestic Black with the Espresso int. Tech and I told my son that this is what I want. It's not the money as I could have one with it but I have been driving mostly FWD cars for the last 30 years and don't have any problems with driving in the rain or snow. If its that bad out then I just stay home and watch TV. This is from my stand point, this TLX is the best Acura or Honda car I have ever own. And I have had many Honda cars from the past 30 years or so. This car handles very well also as I don't have a need to race around turns or coming off exits like I racing. So their are buyer out there who know the difference and I do care and about cars.
Personally, I am of a firm belief that the best Acura/Honda product in the past 30 years - from a pure DRIVER'S perspective, is a 2003 Acura CL Type S 6MT. The auto version of TL/CL had nothing on the 6MT. In the MT, you got a mechanical limited slip diff and clutch was tuned so well that it gave S2000 run for it's money. It also used directly from NSX brass gear synchro's vs kevlar in all other applications. To this day, I've never driven a better Honda product (4th gen TL SHAWD 6MT came very close). The only reason I'm not giving the TL spot #1, it had too many electrical nannies. The CLS6 was a balls to the wall driver's car with only limited interference of early stages of VSA stability system. You could turn it off literally with one button and truly turn it off, not like modern ones where it sticks around anyway. That with the helical LSD turned that car into a screaming monster with that beautiful high revving J32 and amazing manual trans. I'll never get over selling mine.
Old 04-30-2021, 01:21 PM
YEH
Burning Brakes

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by SRB-TL;16713868[b
]That offer can be used if you have a 5 year old Honda Fit and you want a $250K NSX..
You really think that's what Acura had in mind when offering that deal? Lol

Honda, er, Acura execs have admitted that there is a good amount of cross-shopping btwn the 2 brands - where a common cross-shop (for example) would be looking at a loaded Pilot vs a lower-mid trim MDX.

Acura has a good bit higher incentive spending than Honda, so the price difference isn't all that great.

Now, the $11k or so price (top trim) difference (for the US) is a bit much for most, but settling for a Tech package TLX makes no difference when it comes to performance and handling.

Last edited by YEH; 04-30-2021 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-03-2021, 09:29 AM
®

Originally Posted by YEH
You really think that's what Acura had in mind when offering that deal? Lol

Honda, er, Acura execs have admitted that there is a good amount of cross-shopping btwn the 2 brands - where a common cross-shop (for example) would be looking at a loaded Pilot vs a lower-mid trim MDX.

Acura has a good bit higher incentive spending than Honda, so the price difference isn't all that great.

Now, the $11k or so price (top trim) difference (for the US) is a bit much for most, but settling for a Tech package TLX makes no difference when it comes to performance and handling.
TLX FWD has no reason to exist with Accord Touring 2.0T 10AT out there. Compare specs of the Touring and TLX Base. Touring has Low-Speed Braking Control, Ventilated Front Seats, Heated Outboard Rear Seats, Head-Up Display (HUD), Adaptive Damper System, Wireless Phone Charger, Wi-Fi Hotspot, Honda Satellite-Linked Navigation System, Rain-Sensing Windshield Wipers, LED Headlights with Auto-On/Off, Interior Ambient Lighting, Body-Colored Parking Sensors (Front/Rear), Side Mirrors with Reverse Gear Tilt-Down, HondaLink, Wireless CarPlay/Android Auto, Blind Spot Information (BSI) System, Cross Traffic Monitor (CTM), Parking Sensors, 450-Watt Premium Audio System with 10 Speakers...you have to go up to Tech on TLX to get half of this and Advance to get all of it. You can get all this with the same trans and engine that's on the TLX on a car that's 750 lbs lighter and a second faster to 60. I'm tired of debating on this. If someone thinks FWD TLX with less or almost the same options is worth $12-15K, all power to them. BTW, the only reason Honda killed off V6 in the Accord for the 2018 was to try and save the current TLX at the time from death. If a customer said I want a V6, well here, we have our lux brand you can get a V6 with...

Last edited by loki; 05-03-2021 at 09:33 AM.
someguy11 (06-12-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 11:00 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,420 Likes on 1,871 Posts
Originally Posted by SRB-TL
TLX FWD has no reason to exist with Accord Touring 2.0T 10AT out there.
It exists for the same reason trims like the Model 3 Short-I-Mean-Standard Range exists: so that Acura can advertise the TLX as starting at $37,500 to undercut the base Audi A4 40 and Lexus IS300. I can't imagine many people would buy a base TLX FWD, as I never see any on the lots, so it seems like this trim largely exists for marketing purposes.
Old 05-03-2021, 12:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,662 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
It exists for the same reason trims like the Model 3 Short-I-Mean-Standard Range exists: so that Acura can advertise the TLX as starting at $37,500 to undercut the base Audi A4 40 and Lexus IS300. I can't imagine many people would buy a base TLX FWD, as I never see any on the lots, so it seems like this trim largely exists for marketing purposes.

16 3.5 PAWS (former car)
19 3.5 PAWS (current car)
21 2.0T A-Spec FWD (potential new car)
Old 05-04-2021, 04:20 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm sorry, I didn't even bother to read this. You're comparing cars that are $20K apart in price.
Could be an eye opener! They are in fact $20k apart in price BUT WHAT ABOUT VALUE...that's why it might be worth reading..
Old 05-05-2021, 09:13 AM
®

Originally Posted by bigcocoon
Could be an eye opener! They are in fact $20k apart in price BUT WHAT ABOUT VALUE...that's why it might be worth reading..
Sport 2.0T WAS a great value up until this year. It wasn't hard to get one for $26K. I got my 6MT right before they got discontinued for $28K. The 10AT was going for much less. With the 2.0T, you get the FAR superior trans (10AT vs CVT) and you also get all EX creature comforts (sunroof, heated seats, heated mirrors, walk away lock, remote start, rear cross traffic alerts, blind spot monitoring, etc.). But...current market prices have made the Sport 2.0T impossible to get under $30K. But even at that price, it beats just about anything else in the segment. The only way TLX makes any sense is if you go Tech Pkg and SHAWD or above. Anything base or FWD (even Advance) is just plain stupid with the Accord available, especially the Touring trim that has more features than TLX Tech.
Old 05-05-2021, 09:50 AM
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 86 Posts
The only way TLX makes any sense is if you go Tech Pkg and SHAWD or above. Anything base or FWD (even Advance) is just plain stupid with the Accord available, especially the Touring trim that has more features than TLX Tech.
I agree, except that some people hate the looks of the Accord and that it's ubiquitous. I suggested Accord when we first started looking to replace our 2 old sedans and my wife said NO! NO! NO! Also, the Accord sound system is apparently crapola. That said, I still think it's insane to buy a FWD TLX just for the looks and the sound system. FFS, spend the extra $2K for the SH-AWD.
Old 05-05-2021, 10:19 AM
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by robnalex
I agree, except that some people hate the looks of the Accord and that it's ubiquitous. I suggested Accord when we first started looking to replace our 2 old sedans and my wife said NO! NO! NO! Also, the Accord sound system is apparently crapola. That said, I still think it's insane to buy a FWD TLX just for the looks and the sound system. FFS, spend the extra $2K for the SH-AWD.
I guess I'm one of those stupid people. I had a 2018 EX-L 2.0 and now a TLX Tech FWD. The new TLX is so much better than the Accord I had in every which way. Yes, I could have got the AWD but felt I didn't need it with the type of driving I do. I use the car mostly about town and some road trips that are about 150 miles each way. I know how to drive in the rain with just a front wheel drive car and if it snows that much I will just stay home. The TLX to me is just a quick as the Accord in the way I drive it. I really don't care about 0-60 or g's but care about how solid this TLX is over the Accord. Oh, I don't buy cars, I lease them because every 3 years I want a new car! So my money and my choice and I don't gave a shit about what anyone else says.

And, I really am enjoying the TLX and everything about it!
The following 3 users liked this post by frainc:
a35tl (05-05-2021), F23A4 (05-05-2021), vhtran (05-05-2021)
Old 05-05-2021, 10:54 AM
®

Originally Posted by robnalex
Accord is one of those cars that can be extremely ugly or extremely beautiful. It depends on 3 things, angle, trim (very important) and color. A radiant red LX/EX is ugly almost in every way possible. San marino red sport looks beautiful. To an uninitiated eye, they're completely different cars. And in a sense, they are. As far as sound system, I've yet in my 20 years of car ownership (32) cars to buy or not buy a car based on sound system or MPG. I couldn't care less about either. A lot of times I drive with radio off. If it's on, it's on lower volume. I did this even in my TLX that had ELS. Other one (MPG), don't care either. The car could get 50 mpg, but if I don't like how it drives, it's no go. On the other hand, I would be perfectly fine with 10 mpg if the car strikes my preferences and I love it.

I guess I'm one of those stupid people. I had a 2018 EX-L 2.0 and now a TLX Tech FWD. The new TLX is so much better than the Accord I had in every which way. Yes, I could have got the AWD but felt I didn't need it with the type of driving I do. I use the car mostly about town and some road trips that are about 150 miles each way. I know how to drive in the rain with just a front wheel drive car and if it snows that much I will just stay home. The TLX to me is just a quick as the Accord in the way I drive it. I really don't care about 0-60 or g's but care about how solid this TLX is over the Accord. Oh, I don't buy cars, I lease them because every 3 years I want a new car! So my money and my choice and I don't gave a shit about what anyone else says.

"I don't gave a shit about what anyone else says" - Yet, here you are, commenting in length. Subsequently, no one gives a shit what you have to say either. The perk of mature comments like yours. The fact you got so triggered indicates that you do in fact, give a shit.
Old 05-05-2021, 11:16 AM
Racer

No, Donald Jr, I'm not Triggered that I finally wrote something here about the car. Just that sometimes I get tired about the crap that folks write here, so have a nice day.
The following 3 users liked this post by frainc:
a35tl (05-05-2021), Nexx (05-06-2021), WTF.Acura (05-05-2021)
Old 05-05-2021, 02:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,662 Likes on 927 Posts

Old 05-05-2021, 03:19 PM
®

No, Donald Jr, I'm not Triggered that I finally wrote something here about the car. Just that sometimes I get tired about the crap that folks write here, so have a nice day.
I don't think you understand what online forum is. I think your uniqueness would be better suited on Facebook where you can have your safe space from being triggered into a full blown panic attack from someone thinking different from you.

Last edited by loki; 05-05-2021 at 03:21 PM. Reason: edited for content
Old 05-05-2021, 06:34 PM
Racer

Like I said before, have a nice day.
Old 05-06-2021, 07:06 AM
®

Like I said before, have a nice day.
You too.
Old 05-06-2021, 09:12 AM
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 86 Posts
I've yet in my 20 years of car ownership (32) cars to buy or not buy a car based on sound system or MPG. I couldn't care less about either. A lot of times I drive with radio off. If it's on, it's on lower volume. I did this even in my TLX that had ELS. Other one (MPG), don't care either.
Same here. My wife and I think the sound in our RDX sucks and that the sound in our TLX is great, but this was never a priority. Hell, I didn't even check out the sound on either car until after I bought it!
loki (05-06-2021)
Old 06-04-2021, 07:44 AM
Cruisin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks for sharing!

I just switched from a 2018 Accord Sport 2.0T to 2021 TLX A-Spec AWD. I echo many of your observations.

things that stand out to me so far are:
- Accord has more headroom. I am 6'0" with a longer torso to leg ratio. With the TLX my hair is just touching the ceiling.
- Accord feels lighter and more agile that the TLX but has more body roll. The TLX holds the road better and stays flatter around the corner. Also the TLX feels wider especially in tight twisty roads.
- Traffic Jam Assist has been useful as I drive in traffic every day.
- Gas mileages on the Accord seems to be 3-4mph better, but the TLX should improve on this as the miles rack up.
- Wish they didn't split the screen on the TLX or at least an option to go full screen on Android Auto.
- Android Auto seems connect easier and stay connected to the TLX. On the Accord sometimes it would have a hard time connecting and it would take a few times to disconnect/connect the USB to get it to connect to the car, and sometimes it would lose connection.
The following 2 users liked this post by SwiftTone:
ELIN (06-05-2021), F23A4 (06-04-2021)