2018 Accord 2.0 Sport to 2021 TLX Advanced SH-AWD

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2021, 04:19 AM
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

My 3 week impressions with the TLX after owning the Accord for 2 years. To keep it simple, the TLX is a big improvement over the Accord in almost every way.

A few positive observations that are noticeable to me:
  • Interior quality and comfort, I have a thin body frame and I could really never get comfortable in the Accord seats, not an issue in the TLX.
  • Audio quality is night and day vs the Accord Sport audio. Although the front midbass could be crossed at little higher to avoid distortion on heavy bass(doesn't seem to have a HPF), I am looking into a higher quality midbass to simply replace, although I need to pull the OEM speaker first to gather some T/S.
  • Handling is great, I can easily take sharp turns with great control(I also tested a FWD version and it handles great too).
  • Headlight cutoff is much sharper, very similar to a quality HID projector.
A few negative observations that are noticeable to me:
  • MPG, not really an issue, I just noticed I receive about 1-2 MPG's less, I am averaging 19-20 MPG. I drive mostly in Sport in the city and Normal 70% on highways, very similar on how I drove the Accord.
  • Rear view camera, the TLX needs perfect lighting to achieve decent image quality, otherwise it looks very washed out. The 360 view option really needs to fill out the entire screen! Not sure why, but the Accord video quality just looked better IMO.

For those who are interested, I haven't seen anyone post pics with the options I selected, Interior aluminum trim panels(woodgrain not my style), rear deck lid spoiler, rear black chrome A-mark emblem, also removed "TLX" and "SH-AWD" emblem.

The following 5 users liked this post by Jrvtecaccord:
a35tl (04-21-2021), ELIN (04-21-2021), mapleloaf (05-04-2021), Midnight Mystery (04-22-2021), silverTL6 (04-24-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 08:50 AM
®

Received 474 Likes on 224 Posts
I'm sorry, I didn't even bother to read this. You're comparing cars that are $20K apart in price.
Old 04-21-2021, 09:01 AM
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by SRB-TL
I'm sorry, I didn't even bother to read this. You're comparing cars that are $20K apart in price.
FFS, there's a cranky old fart in every thread. The OP is just sharing his experience and his appreciation for his new ride, which many may find interesting. If you don't, there's no need to drop a turd in the punch bowl.
The following 5 users liked this post by robnalex:
a35tl (04-26-2021), F23A4 (04-24-2021), jbr7154 (04-21-2021), silverTL6 (04-24-2021), TLXinTX (04-30-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 09:03 AM
Racer

BTW, @Jrvtecaccord thanks for the thread and the great pics of your beautiful new TLX!
Old 04-21-2021, 09:22 AM
®

Originally Posted by robnalex
FFS, there's a cranky old fart in every thread. The OP is just sharing his experience and his appreciation for his new ride, which many may find interesting. If you don't, there's no need to drop a turd in the punch bowl.
I'm sorry you're having difficulty reading. The thread literally suggests and further everything the OP wrote is literally a comparison of the two cars. Nothing in his thread is about appreciating the new ride, it's a line by line "vs" - you can buy two Accords 2.0T for the price of that TLX. Now go drop that deuce somewhere else.
Old 04-21-2021, 12:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Thank you for the comparison. Some of us Honda nerds do cross-shop Honda and Acura. Currently a fellow Accord X owner. I will say, as far as the stereo goes, just about ANYTHING is better than the system in the Accord. It's the only thing in the Accord I can say is total trash. Having exprienced the ELS in other Acuras going back nearly 20 years now, I'm sure this one is pretty nice, too. Enjoy the TLX in good health!
The following 5 users liked this post by neuronbob:
a35tl (04-21-2021), F23A4 (04-24-2021), Midnight Mystery (04-22-2021), Nedmundo (04-23-2021), robnalex (04-22-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 01:50 PM
Pro

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts
why do you have to be so sour. Go outside and get some fresh air man! He is literally comparing his previous car to his new car. Most people in this forum upgrade from an Honda to an Acura so the comparison is fitting.
The following 3 users liked this post by djhtsx:
a35tl (04-21-2021), robnalex (04-22-2021), silverTL6 (04-24-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 02:11 PM
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts
Originally Posted by djhtsx
why do you have to be so sour. Go outside and get some fresh air man! He is literally comparing his previous car to his new car. Most people in this forum upgrade from an Honda to an Acura so the comparison is fitting.
I think he’s still a little sour that the TLX-2 didn’t turn out to be the dud he predicted 6 months ago.
The following users liked this post:
robnalex (04-22-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 02:26 PM
®

Originally Posted by djhtsx
It's OK to compare features from one car to another but to knock on one for not being as good as the other while the other one is $20K more is kind of me saying that $150 Xiaomi Pocophone can't take same pictures as Samsung S21 Ultra. Obviously it can't - it's built to a different price point.

Originally Posted by Honda430
I think he’s still a little sour that the TLX-2 didn’t turn out to be the dud he predicted 6 months ago.
I'm sour? How many TLX-2 have you seen on the road since last September? I've seen one (1). On that note, how is your TLX-2, do you like it?
Old 04-21-2021, 02:46 PM
Drifting

Received 1,262 Likes on 917 Posts
Out of curiosity, why are you using "Sport" mode in the city? Shouldn't it be the other way around (Sport in highway and Normal in City). Sport+city driving = max fuel loss.
Old 04-21-2021, 04:43 PM
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts
It's OK to compare features from one car to another but to knock on one for not being as good as the other while the other one is $20K more is kind of me saying that $150 Xiaomi Pocophone can't take same pictures as Samsung S21 Ultra. Obviously it can't - it's built to a different price point.

I'm sour? How many TLX-2 have you seen on the road since last September? I've seen one (1). On that note, how is your TLX-2, do you like it?
I’m completely satisfied with my car. Best Acura I’ve owned. While my 2006 Aspec was a bit more agile the TLX-2 on an overall basis is a better vehicle. I got no gripes and definitely no buyer’s remorse.
loki (04-22-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 05:59 PM
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
I made the same trade. Had an 18 Touring for 3 years and was really torn about spending 10K more for the TLX. In fact, I created a thread back in October trying to illicit opinions on this issue. Fast forward 5 months and I started to have some issues with my Accord (Transmission slipping, HUD and rear shelf rattle.) So off I went to my local Acura dealer and as soon as I test drove the Advance SH-AWD, I was hooked. The TLX is in an entirely different class. Yes the sound system is a HUGH improvement, but the biggest draw to the TLX is the "luxury" feel of the vehicle. Ride was SO much better and the ambient lighting just sealed it for me. Still trying to master the infotainment touch pad, but after 4 weeks I finally think I have gotten used to it. Good luck with your new purchase.
The following 3 users liked this post by fjpthree:
a35tl (04-21-2021), Pens Fan (04-22-2021), robnalex (04-22-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 06:02 PM
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Here is the input I got from the thread I created back in October of 2020:

​​​​​​https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...ouring-990257/
Old 04-21-2021, 06:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by ELIN
Out of curiosity, why are you using "Sport" mode in the city? Shouldn't it be the other way around (Sport in highway and Normal in City). Sport+city driving = max fuel loss.
Depends how the transmission is programed. In most sport settings DCT, 8ZF etc. when in sport transmission the car is running at lower gears, higher RPM's for all MPH. In normal transmission the trans shifts up to a higher gear lower RPM for all MPH. Sport Transmission in city keeps the RPM up so that the car is more agile, less throttle movement, when you need to accelerate.

In mine, 8ZF, 8th gear is locked out in any sport transmission setting. In normal its active & I can run in the 88+mph range at less then 2000 RPM = 32MPG @ 80MPH average door to door with 382 Advertised Horsepower. Normal Transmission + Sport engine + Sport suspension are the optimum settings for long interstate runs.

Back road fun driving is in everything in sport because you are looking for maximum performance not mileage.
ELIN (04-21-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 06:46 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Depends how the transmission is programed. In most sport settings DCT, 8ZF etc. when in sport transmission the car is running at lower gears, higher RPM's for all MPH. In normal transmission the trans shifts up to a higher gear lower RPM for all MPH. Sport Transmission in city keeps the RPM up so that the car is more agile, less throttle movement, when you need to accelerate.

In mine, 8ZF, 8th gear is locked out in any sport transmission setting. In normal its active & I can run in the 88+mph range at less then 2000 RPM = 32MPG @ 80MPH average door to door with 382 Advertised Horsepower. Normal Transmission + Sport engine + Sport suspension are the optimum settings for long interstate runs.

Back road fun driving is in everything in sport because you are looking for maximum performance not mileage.
I'm currently getting about 24.8 mpg so I'll try Sport exclusively in the next fuel up to see if I like it (I only engage Sport mode when trying to pass someone).

I'm more concerned about the constant whine from the turbo 4. I'm sure Sport mode in a 6 cylinder sounds way better!
Old 04-21-2021, 07:31 PM
Suzuka Master

I'm currently getting about 24.8 mpg so I'll try Sport exclusively in the next fuel up to see if I like it (I only engage Sport mode when trying to pass someone).

I'm more concerned about the constant whine from the turbo 4. I'm sure Sport mode in a 6 cylinder sounds way better!
Will not do anything for your fuel mileage just your throttle response around town. Personally am surprised how bad the TLX economy is with a 4 cylinder turbo. Also its pretty normal for superchargers to whine, turbos are normally very quite. I would have someone take a look at it.
Old 04-21-2021, 07:50 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,613 Likes on 971 Posts
Thanks for comparing both cars. It’s very informative. Some folks like to compare these two vehicles. I actually test drove the new TLX and right after compared it to my cousin accord. To me these two cars are miles apart. The TLX is just refined and next level. Accord is a nice sedan with some great features for day to day.

The TLX quietness, ride quality, sound system, material and fit and finish are at par with the Germans. Good choice and enjoy your new ride.
Old 04-21-2021, 09:04 PM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Will not do anything for your fuel mileage just your throttle response around town. Personally am surprised how bad the TLX economy is with a 4 cylinder turbo. Also its pretty normal for superchargers to whine, turbos are normally very quite. I would have someone take a look at it.
I am too surprised by not only the numbers Acura have put out, but more of what people who have bought the car say they are getting. It's really almost makes the TLX a no go for me.
Old 04-21-2021, 09:07 PM
CtK
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts
Congratz!!

Dang I didnt know you could get aluminum trim panels instead of the wood, I would have gotten the Advanced instead of the A-Spec.
Oh well
Old 04-21-2021, 11:22 PM
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
I intentionally left out price as everyone will have different criteria on what the difference in price would be and if that difference is financially wise for those individuals. In my case price is a non issue.

I use Sport in city driving for the stiffer suspension and the quicker throttle response. Yup, I receive max fuel consumption, but I rather enjoy driving than trying to achieve good MPG. I am one of those spirited drivers who is first off the line till I reach speed limit.

Originally Posted by fjpthree
I made the same trade. Had an 18 Touring for 3 years and was really torn about spending 10K more for the TLX. In fact, I created a thread back in October trying to illicit opinions on this issue. Fast forward 5 months and I started to have some issues with my Accord (Transmission slipping, HUD and rear shelf rattle.) So off I went to my local Acura dealer and as soon as I test drove the Advance SH-AWD, I was hooked. The TLX is in an entirely different class. Yes the sound system is a HUGH improvement, but the biggest draw to the TLX is the "luxury" feel of the vehicle. Ride was SO much better and the ambient lighting just sealed it for me. Still trying to master the infotainment touch pad, but after 4 weeks I finally think I have gotten used to it. Good luck with your new purchase.
Agreed! This Advanced trim will hold me until I can order a Type S, just waiting for the order system to open so I can build to spec.

Originally Posted by CtK
Congratz!!

Dang I didnt know you could get aluminum trim panels instead of the wood, I would have gotten the Advanced instead of the A-Spec.
Oh well
Yeah, it's an optional accessory. When I ordered the vehicle I couldn't find any pictures of the trim, I just ordered and hoped for the best. Worst case I would have just replaced the trim with the A-Spec trim if I didn't like the optional aluminum trim.
ELIN (04-22-2021)
Old 04-22-2021, 12:26 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 899 Likes on 789 Posts
Having just driven both the new TLX and Accord I can definitely say the Accord is more agile and lighter feeling on the road. As far as which car I'd prefer I'd probably rather have the Accord, however, the TLX is still a great choice, just not special enough to justify the price gap IMO.
Old 04-22-2021, 05:46 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
Having just driven both the new TLX and Accord I can definitely say the Accord is more agile and lighter feeling on the road. As far as which car I'd prefer I'd probably rather have the Accord, however, the TLX is still a great choice, just not special enough to justify the price gap IMO.
Also kicks butt in its class.

Old 04-22-2021, 07:03 PM
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by fjpthree
I agree with you, as I had a 2018 Accord EX-L 2.0. I had no problems with the 2018 and it was a really good car for me. But as you noted the TLX to me is miles above it in everything. I had no problems passing anyone or getting on the parkway or highways with this 2.0, I now have my Tech for a little over 2 months and 2,300 problem free miles. This car is just a very solid car and I love driving it. Yes, the sound system is way more than a HUGH improvement from the Accord. I took to small road trips upstate and got 34 mpg on the highway, just keeping it at 70 mph. Around town about 20, but I really don't care. It's just crazy that I really don't see them here on Long Island, as the pick ups and SUV's are king here. Oh, you will get used to the touch pad.
Old 04-23-2021, 04:08 PM
YEH
Burning Brakes

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
Acura is offering a ("conquest") rebate for Honda owners as they know many Honda owners cross-shop.

Also kicks butt in its class.

Accord - TLX - Sonata N @ Throttle House
James doesn't know how to use the launch control; both C/D and MT got a quicker time in the N-Line.
Old 04-26-2021, 08:45 AM
®

Originally Posted by YEH
Acura is offering a ("conquest") rebate for Honda owners as they know many Honda owners cross-shop.

James doesn't know how to use the launch control; both C/D and MT got a quicker time in the N-Line.
That offer can be used if you have a 5 year old Honda Fit and you want a $250K NSX...In other words, it doesn't mean the 2.0T Sport and 2.0T Advance are comparable. Compare the Accord Touring to the rock bottom FWD Base 2.0T TLX, those two have the same price. The Accord Touring wipes the floor with the base TLX.
Old 04-26-2021, 09:14 AM
Drifting

The Accord Touring wipes the floor with the base TLX.
For every Honda Accord you buy, Jon Ikeda will shed one tear. 😢
Old 04-26-2021, 09:18 AM
CtK
Intermediate

That offer can be used if you have a 5 year old Honda Fit and you want a $250K NSX...In other words, it doesn't mean the 2.0T Sport and 2.0T Advance are comparable. Compare the Accord Touring to the rock bottom FWD Base 2.0T TLX, those two have the same price. The Accord Touring wipes the floor with the base TLX.
But the accord is fugly!!!! lol
ELIN (04-26-2021)
Old 04-26-2021, 11:20 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by CtK
True. And apparently, the Accord sound system is crapola. Other than that, there are not many other good reasons to buy a FWD TLX instead of an Accord. We briefly looked at Accord, but my wife hates the Accord's looks (I'm not wild about it either- not a fan of almond-shaped cars) and we love the SH-AWD in the TLX and in our RDX.

Every time I see a FWD TLX or RDX I wonder "why"?! These buyers have already invested $30K+. Why not spend another 2K and get a car that handles so much better? I guess there are a lot of buyers out there that just don't know and don't care.

Last edited by robnalex; 04-26-2021 at 11:27 AM. Reason: addition
Old 04-26-2021, 12:36 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,436 Likes on 1,884 Posts
True. And apparently, the Accord sound system is crapola. Other than that, there are not many other good reasons to buy a FWD TLX instead of an Accord. We briefly looked at Accord, but my wife hates the Accord's looks (I'm not wild about it either- not a fan of almond-shaped cars) and we love the SH-AWD in the TLX and in our RDX.

Every time I see a FWD TLX or RDX I wonder "why"?! These buyers have already invested $30K+. Why not spend another 2K and get a car that handles so much better? I guess there are a lot of buyers out there that just don't know and don't care.
99% of buyers in areas without snow would never know the difference between FWD and SHAWD. In their mind, why pay more for less MPGs?
The following 3 users liked this post by fiatlux:
BEAR-AvHistory (04-27-2021), ELIN (04-26-2021), robnalex (04-27-2021)
Old 04-26-2021, 02:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts

Agreed. I would only get an Acura with SH-AWD. To me, AWD is just all-around better ... better control ... rain or whatever.
robnalex (04-27-2021)
Old 04-26-2021, 02:39 PM
®

Originally Posted by CtK
So am I but that doesn't stop me from getting it every night.
Old 04-26-2021, 02:51 PM
Drifting

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while!
The following 2 users liked this post by ELIN:
robnalex (04-27-2021), WTF.Acura (04-26-2021)
Old 04-26-2021, 03:10 PM
®

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while!
Jealousy is a stinky cologne.

Old 04-26-2021, 04:48 PM
CtK
Intermediate

So you are confirming you like a fugly car, lol ok!!

Originally Posted by Tesla1856
Agreed. I would only get an Acura with SH-AWD. To me, AWD is just all-around better ... better control ... rain or whatever.
Ive only ever had RWD cars, I would never ever get a FWD car. I wanted to try a AWD car this time.
Old 04-26-2021, 08:46 PM
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 73 Posts

I have a FWD TLX Tech and love it. I do know how great the SH-AWD drive is because I once had a MDX with it. I seen my Majestic Black with the Espresso int. Tech and I told my son that this is what I want. It's not the money as I could have one with it but I have been driving mostly FWD cars for the last 30 years and don't have any problems with driving in the rain or snow. If its that bad out then I just stay home and watch TV. This is from my stand point, this TLX is the best Acura or Honda car I have ever own. And I have had many Honda cars from the past 30 years or so. This car handles very well also as I don't have a need to race around turns or coming off exits like I racing. So their are buyer out there who know the difference and I do care and about cars.
Old 04-27-2021, 01:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by fiatlux
99% of buyers in areas without snow would never know the difference between FWD and SHAWD. In their mind, why pay more for less MPGs?
Generally agree with that. My only 4X4's are trucks & large SUV's. That said I expect that the V6 TLX will require AWD or be very traction limited to the point of being no better that the 4 cylinder FWD.
Old 04-27-2021, 08:02 AM
10th Gear

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
New to this forum, signed up when I was researching the new TLX. Not a ton of posts yet for the 2021 so its nice to see someone who picked one up, and honestly is a little like me in the selection process. Never owned a Honda but can appreciate Accord owners comparing their new TLX to what they owned previous. Haven't really owned a four door sedan in forever, so this is new to me too.

Originally Posted by Jrvtecaccord
For those who are interested, I haven't seen anyone post pics with the options I selected, Interior aluminum trim panels(woodgrain not my style), rear deck lid spoiler, rear black chrome A-mark emblem, also removed "TLX" and "SH-AWD" emblem.
Really do like the pictures of the more "unique" TLX that you went with. I have seen a ton of black interiors, A-Spec interiors, and none of the configuration you posted.

If I would have ordered one, I would have went with the aluminum panels inside. I ended up with the brown interior, and the wood grain, while not necessarily my first choice, goes surprisingly well. Also went with the decklid spoiler on the Advance package. Oh yead, also took off all the chrome letters off the trunk. Always been a fan of de-badging myself, so this was the first thing I did. The dealer had an obnoxious "bubble sticker" just below SH-AWD so that was an easy remove as well.

Once I get a few posts under my belt, will post a seperate thread of my new TLX. Great looking selections you made!

Old 04-27-2021, 08:10 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by gingrbredman
New to this forum, signed up when I was researching the new TLX. Not a ton of posts yet for the 2021 so its nice to see someone who picked one up, and honestly is a little like me in the selection process. Never owned a Honda but can appreciate Accord owners comparing their new TLX to what they owned previous. Haven't really owned a four door sedan in forever, so this is new to me too.

Really do like the pictures of the more "unique" TLX that you went with. I have seen a ton of black interiors, A-Spec interiors, and none of the configuration you posted.

If I would have ordered one, I would have went with the aluminum panels inside. I ended up with the brown interior, and the wood grain, while not necessarily my first choice, goes surprisingly well. Also went with the decklid spoiler on the Advance package. Oh yead, also took off all the chrome letters off the trunk. Always been a fan of de-badging myself, so this was the first thing I did. The dealer had an obnoxious "bubble sticker" just below SH-AWD so that was an easy remove as well.

Once I get a few posts under my belt, will post a seperate thread of my new TLX. Great looking selections you made!
Owner's have been posting since the car came out at the end of September and we have an official owner's thread here:

https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...thread-990844/

as well as an owner sign-in thread here:

https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...thread-987956/

Welcome to the club!
Old 04-27-2021, 08:37 AM
®

Originally Posted by CtK
So you are confirming you like a fugly car, lol ok!!

Ive only ever had RWD cars, I would never ever get a FWD car. I wanted to try a AWD car this time.
Absolutely. My favorite (and first) car was a 1987 Nissan Stanza Wagon. Every knuckehead in high school wanted a Z28, or WS6, or some other American dreck. Me, not so much. Stanza Wagon, 83 Benz SD300, 86 SAAB. Dudes wore their letterman football jackets, I wore members only leather jacket. Girls agreed.

Old 04-27-2021, 08:42 AM
10th Gear

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Owner's have been posting since the car came out at the end of September and we have an official owner's thread here:

https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...thread-990844/

as well as an owner sign-in thread here:

https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...thread-987956/

Welcome to the club!
Thanks! Didn't mean to imply there were no posts about the 2021, just not as many and active as you would see in a second or third year in a new model, but do expect that to keep changing. Wanted to first comment on the OP's new car, really like the selection and comparison. Will check out the other threads as well you posted, thanks!
ELIN (04-27-2021)

Quick Reply: 2018 Accord 2.0 Sport to 2021 TLX Advanced SH-AWD