Vibration at medium to high speeds - Wheel or VCM?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 01:19 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Okay, let's talk about this. I now have 13,000 miles on my V6 FWD, and I've just started noticing this vibration under light throttle (when the VCM kicks in).

In my case, it is so mild that most people wouldn't notice it - it's like maybe I'm driving on slightly textured pavement. In fact, at first that's what I thought it was. Then I started paying more attention and realized right away it was VCM. After all, I haven't seen a 3-cyl engine that ran smoothly, since that's an unbalanced number of power impulses. And it happened only when under light throttle and stopped immediately when I gave it some gas.

But I then wondered if it was related to the latest transmission software, thinking maybe they changed the shift points and caused the engine to "lug" more. And I think that's a possibility, since straining more would cause the vibration to be more pronounced. And after all, it started only after getting the transmission update. I guess I'm suggesting maybe it's a combination of gearing and VCM.

For now, it's nothing I can't easily live with. If they come up with a fix, great, but if it's no worse than this, I'm okay with it. needless to say, if anyone hears of a fix, let us know.

I purchased the VCMuzzler for my 2012 Pilot and it completely shuts off the VCM function and the Pilot runs much smoother like it was intended to. The VCMuzzler was designed by a Pilot and posted on Plotters.org.
VCMuzzler - For Disabling VCM Now Available - Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums
Old 12-02-2015, 03:33 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Okay, here's something interesting - I went to the dealer today to get my car washed and to talk to the service people. I worked there until a couple weeks ago, and know many of the techs and other service staff.

So when I asked the service writer if he'd gotten a lot of compliants about the vibration, and told him I was feeling it, he immediately asked if it started after the last transmission update.

BINGO!!!

I told him it was my suspicion it was related, and that maybe the update changed the shift points, and he said it could be.

More importantly, he told me there is another update coming, and hopefully it will address the VCM issue.

Old 12-02-2015, 09:21 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Wtf!

I took home my 2015 TLX v6 Tech (1375 out of pocket 375/month for 36 months with 10k a year plus the 12k I transferred over from the 2013 turn in) home about 5 days ago. I have previously leased a 2008 TL, 2011 TL AWD and 2013 TL Tech, so I'm not a newbie with these cars.

Day two I get it on the highway and the vibrating is FCKN absurd. Felt like it needed the wheels balanced if it hit 50mph. So I get back to the dealership yesterday. They balance the tires. I get back on the highway tonight and while it's better, it's far from fixed. Anything over 60mph and I'm vibrating. My arm resting on the door is vibrating. I google and find this thread.

I'm soooo pissed off. Where do I start?!?! Taking this car back tomorrow. And I won't mention all I read here until I hear what they have to say.

I'm also currently in a 2014 MDX advance that is starting to give me trouble. But I'll take that over to the proper thread.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:29 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
Haven't noticed any vibration at highway speeds and I go anywhere between 68-72mph. A few times I hit 80mph and still didn't notice any vibration.

Any way to tell without going to the dealer what the latest update on your TLX was? I bought mine on November 1st so I imagine it's had the latest update. As for build date, I don't know.
Old 12-03-2015, 01:25 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by dezymond
Haven't noticed any vibration at highway speeds and I go anywhere between 68-72mph. A few times I hit 80mph and still didn't notice any vibration.

Any way to tell without going to the dealer what the latest update on your TLX was? I bought mine on November 1st so I imagine it's had the latest update. As for build date, I don't know.
Yeah, I'm with you. The vibration (which is actually quite tolerable) with mine happens at lower speeds, more like 40-50. When I get up to highway (or freeway) speeds, I don't feel it.

Old 12-07-2015, 10:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Mine is smooth at highway speeds. Vibration is more noticeable at 30 - 45 mph, likely because the VCM shuts down 3 cylinders at lower speeds.

As for the update, I'm not sure how changes to shifting would impact VCM or create other vibrations, but then, I'm not a techie.
Old 12-11-2015, 09:18 AM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by mapleloaf
Mine is smooth at highway speeds. Vibration is more noticeable at 30 - 45 mph, likely because the VCM shuts down 3 cylinders at lower speeds.

As for the update, I'm not sure how changes to shifting would impact VCM or create other vibrations, but then, I'm not a techie.
By changing the shift pattern - that is, the rpm at which shifts are forced - the extra rpms would prevent VCM from activating so early.

As it is, I think the transmission is shifting into upper gears too early, dropping engine rpms, activating VCM and causing the engine to"lug" or struggle to pull the car along. With only 3 cylinders activated, the engine strains and shudders.

That's my theory.

Old 12-11-2015, 04:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
I have noticed vibration as I've been using 45mph roads more lately. The vibration is definitely there, but again, I was looking out for it, so since I was trying to tune into it, I noticed it. It doesn't ruin the driving experience or anything, especially if you are just driving along not really caring, small vibration that acts more like a hand massage than anything.

However, I do notice it now more that I did try to look for it, but glad to hear it's normal operation. Even they explained it in their Honda/Acura VCM explanation videos.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:24 AM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts
Does anyone have the same problem as me or a solution to this?

Usually when I set my cruise in eco and normal mode (not sure on sport as I don't really use that mode) while I'm going 35+ mph, I'll start to get this vibration in my steering wheel, near my knee and in my seat. Then I'll slightly tap on the gas pedal and it goes away. Can't tell if it's VCM or the 9spd transmission
Old 12-15-2015, 01:37 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by atl7

Usually when I set my cruise in eco and normal mode (not sure on sport as I don't really use that mode) while I'm going 35+ mph, I'll start to get this vibration in my steering wheel, near my knee and in my seat. Then I'll slightly tap on the gas pedal and it goes away. Can't tell if it's VCM or the 9spd transmission
Mine does this. Before and after the transmission was replaced. Does it most notably around 35 to 45 mph.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:46 PM
Racer

Great...this is the one thing that bothers me most from the car. Hopefully there is or will be a solution in the near future to this.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:54 PM
AcurAdmirer

Pretty sure that's VCM.

Even light pressure on the accelerator will kick it out of VCM and engage the other cylinders, at which time it will smooth out.

Old 12-15-2015, 02:53 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Pretty sure that's VCM.

Even light pressure on the accelerator will kick it out of VCM and engage the other cylinders, at which time it will smooth out.

That's what I was thinking. I'll barely tap the accelerator, it won't shift and the vibration will go away. It annoys me but isn't that bad so I'm contemplating taking it to the dealership since I don't want to make a big deal out of it.
Old 12-15-2015, 04:51 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
That's what I was thinking. I'll barely tap the accelerator, it won't shift and the vibration will go away. It annoys me but isn't that bad so I'm contemplating taking it to the dealership since I don't want to make a big deal out of it.
I'm sure we are all talking about the same thing...
Old 12-31-2015, 05:04 PM
AcurAdmirer

As I mentioned in the transmission thread, I had my 2015 TLX in yesterday and today for the VCM vibration issue. The tech wasn't able to get a response from Techline, since they're closed today and tomorrow, but he did a "snapshot" and sent it to them. I gather that's some kind of diagnostic.

I still tend to think this is a combination of transmission and VCM software errors, especially since I didn't have the problem until the last transmission update.

It seems to me that the transmission software is forcing the tranny to upshift at too low an RPM, so when the VCM kicks in and kills 3 cylinders, the engine is lugging and shuddering because it's at too low a speed. That's the vibration we're feeling. A 3-cyl engine is inherently unbalanced, but put it under a low-speed load and it's really going to flop around.

I know Honda/Acura was going for all the fuel economy they could to satisfy the ridiculous CAFE standards being imposed on carmakers, but I would have much preferred they go to 4 cylinders instead of 3 when VCM is engaged. And instead of disabling one bank of the engine, if they had used the front two and rear two cylinders for VCM, they would have had a much more balanced, and therefore smoother engine.

But they didn't ask me.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:43 PM
2016 Lexus ES 350

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I was having the same issues along with the transmission shifting hard. Dealer couldn't resolve, but it's def with the VCM.

I got tired of paying for a car that I couldn't drive because it spent weeks at the dealer, so I sold it last week and i'm in a Lexus ES 350. Drives like a dream.

Good Luck to everyone on here, i sure hope Acura gets their shit together.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:37 AM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
I'm sure you'll enjoy the new car. I probably would have done the same thing - life's too short to put up with the problems you were having.
The following users liked this post:
weather (01-08-2016)
Old 01-08-2016, 11:40 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Bell_1821
I was having the same issues along with the transmission shifting hard. Dealer couldn't resolve, but it's def with the VCM.

I got tired of paying for a car that I couldn't drive because it spent weeks at the dealer, so I sold it last week and i'm in a Lexus ES 350. Drives like a dream.

Good Luck to everyone on here, i sure hope Acura gets their shit together.
Wow, well I'm glad you're in something you like! Luckily the TLX steers itself so I don't have to feel the vibrating steering wheel on the highway lol. It's such a beautiful car though.

It just feels so sloppy when VCM kicks in, I can't stand it. I hope to see a new or updated sedan unveiled from Acura within the next couple weeks, otherwise I'm going back into a 2014 TL AWD (drives perfectly imo) or a BMW 535i.