Severe tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 11:36 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Severe tire wear

I need help. I own a 2017 TLX SH-AWD Tech and upgraded my wheels and tires last year to Niche Misano 19 x 8.5 (5 x 114.3) rims and Kumho Ecsta PS 91 245 40 R19 rubber - both purchased through a dealer. The rims looked amazing and sat flush with the fenders. No spacers were used. They have only been used for 2 seasons as I replace them with my winter rims and tires. Last month I found out I had severe tire wear on the insides of all four tires which have rendered them useless. I've been told by Acura it's the offset of the rims. The dealer who sold me the rims and tires tells me it's not the rims but the camber set on the vehicle. Acura states the camber is set to factory standards and fine. The car has been in no accidents, has had a realignment (suggested by Acura earlier this year) but without any driving issues. Can I get your input as I'm lost.
Old 10-27-2018, 11:43 PM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by mano
I need help. I own a 2017 TLX SH-AWD Tech and upgraded my wheels and tires last year to Niche Misano 19 x 8.5 (5 x 114.3) rims and Kumho Ecsta PS 91 245 40 R19 rubber - both purchased through a dealer. The rims looked amazing and sat flush with the fenders. No spacers were used. They have only been used for 2 seasons as I replace them with my winter rims and tires. Last month I found out I had severe tire wear on the insides of all four tires which have rendered them useless. I've been told by Acura it's the offset of the rims. The dealer who sold me the rims and tires tells me it's not the rims but the camber set on the vehicle. Acura states the camber is set to factory standards and fine. The car has been in no accidents, has had a realignment (suggested by Acura earlier this year) but without any driving issues. Can I get your input as I'm lost.
As the dealer mentioned, uneven tire wear usually occurs when you need an alignment. From the factory the car only has so much adjustment that they can do and if more adjustment is needed to get the car within spec you will need a aftermarket camber kit. Is your car lowered in addition to having aftermarket wheels?

I had Kumho Ecsta tires on a previous car one time, and was not really a fan of them. They wore out really quick on that vehicle also. I recommend getting a good set of tires and a good alignment, and you shouldn't have a problem going forward
Old 10-28-2018, 06:19 AM
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
i would take it to an alignment shop - somewhere that pretty much only specializes in alignments and suspension. They do many more alignments than dealers do and will have the experience to properly address your issue. My guess is that's it's the alignment.
Old 11-03-2018, 10:07 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks. The car isn't lowered. I'll look into the camber kit. I really like the rims and the profile they give the car so I don't want to give up on them.

Originally Posted by h_dawg
As the dealer mentioned, uneven tire wear usually occurs when you need an alignment. From the factory the car only has so much adjustment that they can do and if more adjustment is needed to get the car within spec you will need a aftermarket camber kit. Is your car lowered in addition to having aftermarket wheels?

I had Kumho Ecsta tires on a previous car one time, and was not really a fan of them. They wore out really quick on that vehicle also. I recommend getting a good set of tires and a good alignment, and you shouldn't have a problem going forward
Old 11-03-2018, 10:07 AM
Cruisin'

Point taken. Thank you.
Old 11-03-2018, 10:12 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
On acuras, camber cannot be adjusted.
Out of spec toe eats tires.

An alignment is a test to see if everything is in spec... If out of spec, align toe as close to 0 zero.

Basically, you should go and get an alignment to see what the specs are. If the techs find that toe is out of spec, they will put it back to factory spec.

Anytime you change suspension geometry, you'll need an alignment.
I think you went an inch larger in diameter, which messed up the settings...
Also, over time, toe can move out

Last edited by justnspace; 11-03-2018 at 10:15 AM.