Rattle by sunroof area

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 05:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
Rattle by sunroof area

So I noticed a few rattling sounds by the sunroof area. I heard it on the freeway on a not so smooth stretch of the freeway. The sunroof was closed and I had tried it later when I was driving around in the city with the sunroof tilted up and still heard the rattle.

I think it's coming from the piece that pops up when the sunroof is open. Anyone have this rattling issue?

I know this problem was fairly common with the 3G TL, mine had it. Just wasn't expecting it with a brand new car less than a year into owning it

Last edited by dezymond; 05-20-2016 at 05:49 PM.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:32 PM
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 302 Posts
I don't have that problem and haven't heard of it. I had a 3G for about 11 years and that thing was a rattle-fest after the first couple of months of ownership. I've had this TLX for almost 2 years now and don't have rattling issues.... yet.
Old 05-21-2016, 08:11 AM
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
Any chance you have sunglasses in the holder? That's been 100% of our "rattles".
Old 05-21-2016, 05:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

There were no sunglasses in the holder and nothing dangling to cause the noise. It was a pretty distinct noise from the sunroof area.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:43 AM
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
I had something similar on my 2000 TL. Turned out that the sun roof track was not screwed down tightly. Took the dealer a few tries to find it, though.
Old 05-22-2016, 04:16 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I think my sunglasses holder rattles even with no sunglasses in it. The area is very hollow and plasticky by the sunroof switch. Only gripe with the car is the number of rattles and squeaks, less than 1k miles they started. Then later it will be dead quiet. It seems worse after sitting in sun.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Next time I'm in for an oil change I'll mention it to them. Hopefully they can solve it, I did manage to record it, but I should've shut off my vents when recording...could only slightly hear it. And it only rattles on crappy roads, but not consistently, so if they have to try and find it for themselves it could be a lengthy test run to find out...

I heard it on my commute so maybe I can try to get a better sounding video of it next time.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:10 AM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Macau Park
I think my sunglasses holder rattles even with no sunglasses in it. The area is very hollow and plasticky by the sunroof switch. Only gripe with the car is the number of rattles and squeaks, less than 1k miles they started. Then later it will be dead quiet. It seems worse after sitting in sun.
Hmm I've driven my car 10 times the distance you have, and have zero rattles or squeaks. Not even the infamous rear deck.

I *thought* I had one rattle. It turned out to be my tire pressure gauge in my glove compartment, but the rattle sounded like it was coming from the roof.

In order to diagnose where a rattle is actually coming from, you need to first remove all items from the car that aren't part of the car itself. Go for a drive with a friend to help you pinpoint them.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:50 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by youngTL
Hmm I've driven my car 10 times the distance you have, and have zero rattles or squeaks. Not even the infamous rear deck.

I *thought* I had one rattle. It turned out to be my tire pressure gauge in my glove compartment, but the rattle sounded like it was coming from the roof.

In order to diagnose where a rattle is actually coming from, you need to first remove all items from the car that aren't part of the car itself. Go for a drive with a friend to help you pinpoint them.
I don't keep any items in car except phone and reg/insurance piece of paper. These don't rattle or squeek. My first rattle popped up with 500 miles. The roads here suck, but sometimes there are squeeks on smooth roads.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:43 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Macau Park
I don't keep any items in car except phone and reg/insurance piece of paper. These don't rattle or squeek. My first rattle popped up with 500 miles. The roads here suck, but sometimes there are squeeks on smooth roads.
The roads here suck too, like the surface of the moon sometimes due to constant freeze thaw for 6 months straight.

In any event, my dealer had been good about fixing a rattle in my old TL-S, it was out of warranty and they only charged me 1 hour labour even though they had to take the interior door panel off.

Hopefully you can reproduce the rattles for them while your car is still in warranty. Coincidentally I had another one today I thought was a buzzing noise from the centre console. Turns out it was my water bottle vibrating against the cup holder arms.
Old 06-16-2016, 06:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Rattle has happened again recently. Mostly seems to be due to sitting under the sun. I'm due for an oil change soon so I'll bring it up then. Thinking the service reminder will pop up sometime within the next two weeks.

Seems to be more common when I've parked outside and it's been baking under the sun a few hours. Hopefully they can reproduce the sound cause it's annoying.
Old 06-19-2016, 06:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ I had a similar sunroof rattle in my 2012 TL and in the g/f's 2014 ILX. I wish sunroof were optional as I personally never would get one....I never use it and just an extra source of rattle/problem.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:41 PM
Registered TL Owner

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts
My TLX developed a sunroof rattle. The dealership "adjusted" my sunroof which mostly alleviated the rattle, but it's still there on occasion. Overall, I'm disappointed with how many rattles my TLX has. Mainly the rear deck and sunroof rattles since I had the same issues with my 3G TL.
Old 07-05-2016, 06:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

I had stopped by for an oil change this morning at local Acura dealership and we had arranged for me to drop it off during out next heat wave, as that's when I noticed it. As much as I don't like the heat, I do hope it's soon so they can hear about what I'm talking about.

I think I pinpointed it to the sunroof area on the passenger seat side, but not 100% certain. Kinda hard to feel and investigate when I'm on the freeway, but just generally speaking that's the area I hear it from.

Hopefully can provide a good update about it next time.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Over 2mo later and I finally took it in this past Monday. Played video for the service adviser and said they'll look into it....fast forward to today...

They say they can't emulate the rattle, but they'll check in with me 2 days from now. I told them the rattle occurs mostly when it's been hot and the car has been sitting outside for awhile.

For now they've had me in an ILX which is a fun little car, but emphasis on the little. I'm just a hair above 6ft tall skinny build and it is a snug fit. I know I'm comparing apples to oranges here, but the price difference between the two cars is certainly justifiable to me.

It's supposed to be a 20F degree difference since Monday and tomorrow so I doubt they'll be able to emulate the rattle.....oh well...