Paint peeling on Roof- 2015 TLX

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2019, 07:46 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by One4AL
FYI: This 2019 paint issue was discovered in September but may be dating before September, because I don't really use the TLX anymore; it's parked, waiting for Honda to make a move regarding the unfixed Vibrations (VCM/Torque Management issue) and Transmission (jerking, sluggish. etc.) issue, OR until the Court will hear my case. Also, I have a 7yr/200K kms extended warranty on this car.

1. TLX '15 Blue paint peeling from fenders
Follow up regarding my situation since my latest post: After waiting 6 weeks after Acura to get back to me since I declared this issue, I sent an Email, and a second Email in which I CC'ed to other people within my Acura Dealership. That's when the Acura dealer finally responded and gave me an appointment for fixing the paint on my Blue TLX. The appointment I was given is in several weeks (maybe to allow more time to Honda to react), I'll see how this goes, but I strongly suggest you to Email your Acura dealer, with pictures of your car, and start documenting your personal case. Hopefully, Acura (Honda) will extend the Blue Color Warranty Extension to all color type (not only the Blue), and to all parts (not only the rear window). It is not the first time Honda is in trouble for paint issue (Honda Civic paints is a problem which Honda is currently looking for an agreement, in order to stop legal procedures and avoid going in Court for a lawsuit file against them). Hopefully, Honda will have learn and will react in a quicker delay with regards to TLX.
Old 11-16-2019, 11:05 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by someguy11
Presumably this 3rd party shop of professionals (such that Acura chose them) knew how to apply paint as well as the Acura plant.
FYI, after doing some research, I was told by two (2) different experts (a car insurance evaluator, and a car paint shop employee) that an original car paint will always remain better than any repainted job. This is the result of a conjonction of different factors, such as :
  • Original paint is "cooked" on the car, when other paint jobs are not.
  • Manufacturers are using robots instead of humans: Robots can apply paint in thinner coats, approximately 4 mils, and paint is more resistant to stone chips. In comparison, humans apply paint in 7-8 mils coats which may peel more easily.
  • Varnish prices are going from $200 CAD to $700 CAD for equivalent quantity, depending on it's quality. Car manufacturers are usually using better varnish quality.
  • Etc.
I wasn't aware of all the hereabove until recently, but it does make me wonder what to think of the repair that was performed around my TLX rear window, back in 2017, which seems to peel again, and about the other repairs that should be perform on multiple parts of my TLX in the upcomming months. Because I bought what should be a high quality car, with a good quality factory installed paint, I'm planning to investigate to find out what options are left to me in order to ensure this TLX will get the long lasting resistance and quality paint it should have always had eversince I bought it brand new.
Old 11-17-2019, 03:43 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 899 Likes on 789 Posts
A bit off topic, but I notice this on many new cars these days, especially Chevy trucks and Hyundai's. Interesting topic and I'd like to see what others have to say or post.
Old 12-30-2019, 09:20 AM
8th Gear

Follow up

Originally Posted by RaiNt83
Have the same issue on my 2015 TLX, Bellanova white, I've own the car for about 61 months.

I was told my warranty is out, since it's 4yr 50k miles. Dealership said they will forward the pictures to regional to see if they can do anything. I'll wait and see.
update
The dealership was taking their sweet time getting a response back to me to see if it would be covered. After a month of waiting and inquiring. I contacted Acura Corporate via website and left a complaint. Within a few days I received a call from corporate saying they will be approving my claim, and that they'll will be reaching out to the dealership. Later that evening I received a call from the dealership to schedule an appointment for repaint.

Old 12-30-2019, 12:14 PM
Null and proud of it

Glad to hear they're following up and taking responsibility!
Old 08-13-2020, 08:09 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bellanova White Pearl

I have the same issue on my 2015 TLX. Acura Client Relations said it’s nothing they can do.

Old 08-13-2020, 10:21 AM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
it's very clear that it's improperly prepped which is why the paint is coming up. the paint did not adhere correctly.
Old 08-13-2020, 12:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
it's very clear that it's improperly prepped which is why the paint is coming up. the paint did not adhere correctly.

Old 08-13-2020, 05:37 PM
Null and proud of it

It's always the white cars too. Water based paint, it just peels off completely.

I work at a tunnel carwash and I'm up close to hundreds of cars a day. At least half of the white Silverados that come through have the same peeling by the back windows and on the hood and roof. Maybe there is an issue in the electro primer bath or something but it's very common. Even on 2017 and 2018 vehicles. It's crazy and disconcerting to see paint t quality has gone down so much.