Minor scrape on a wheel. Should I visit Acura for damage evaluation?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014 | 03:51 AM
Cruisin'

Unhappy Minor scrape on a wheel. Should I visit Acura for damage evaluation?

I bashed my TLX's front-right tire into a curb while taking a right turn. I feel pretty dumb, but it could have been a lot worse. The hubcap has some visible damage, while the rest of the car body looks fine.

The tire climbed the curb, lifting the car a couple inches, and then lost its grip, thumping the car to the ground, and scraping the hubcap. It also felt like front-right wheel straightened out. I guess the power-steering was overpowered by weight of the car pushing on the wheel. As it bounced out of the right turn, the car carried on like nothing bad happened.

The Tire Pressure Monitor on the MID shows all tires at normal pressures. The car handling seems unaffected from the incident.

Do I have any reason to visit an Acura service station?
If so, what should I ask them to evaluate?
Would I notice if the wheel alignment was affected?
Old 10-20-2014 | 07:59 AM
Safety Car

The wheel (not hubcap) can be repaired if you choose to - I could not live with it like that. It may be wise to get the alignment checked out just to be sure.
Old 10-20-2014 | 10:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Don't go to acura. They wont kiss you before they fuck you.

Take it to a local wheel repair shop. Most will charge about 125 minimum to repair the wheel while on your car still. Some will come to you while you work or hang out at home.

If the alignment feels fine and you aren't pulling to the right or left than you may be fine. If it wasn't noticeable I'd wait it out.

I would not leave it however simply because it looks awful.

And just some terminology advice for ya.
Only cheap cars come with hub caps. Hub caps are plastic wheel designs that stick onto ugly black steel wheels.
You have oem alloy wheels.

Also the damage you cause is called curb rash. Go to Google and type in your location and curb rash repair or wheel repair. Should be an easy fix but it'll cost about 125 or more probably. That's the going rate for one wheel in so cal.
Old 10-20-2014 | 10:53 AM
Burning Brakes

I would wait and buy a "take off" set (wheels and tires) for around $600. These wheels are not particularly in high demand ... No offense to the owners.
Old 10-20-2014 | 10:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Minor stuff

It looks cosmetic to me. I also think the flash on the camera made it look worse than it probably is. Consider it your first scratch and move on. Maybe get alignment checked on your next scheduled visit, but it's no big deal. Unless you are going to display your car in an auto show.
Old 10-20-2014 | 11:49 AM
Instructor

I saw an ebay listing where someone is selling the tire/rim individually with 4 available (or so last time I checked). I think they are asking $125 each with $25 shipping.

I'd go that route instead of any repair. Buying a spare tire/rim gives leaves you the extra damaged one for a spare tire if you every have a need for it.
Old 10-20-2014 | 12:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Curb rash happens, especially in unfamiliar locations. You mentioned the car drives fine -- no vibrations, no pulling right or left -- so I agree with @tlxsteve, it's cosmetic. On your next scheduled visit to the dealership, you could mention it to the service guy.

Curb rash is better repaired at a specialty wheel shop. I've lived with my curb rash for 2 years, and come November, the wheels will be relegated to winter tire duty. They are the 17" ones that came with my TSX. Come spring, I will shop for a new wheel and tire package.

Just to protect the curb rash from winter salt, etc., you might want to wash it, dry it, and apply a little wax (I use nu-finish) to the "wound".
Old 10-26-2014 | 01:14 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ZAXDude
I saw an ebay listing where someone is selling the tire/rim individually with 4 available (or so last time I checked). I think they are asking $125 each with $25 shipping.

I'd go that route instead of any repair. Buying a spare tire/rim gives leaves you the extra damaged one for a spare tire if you every have a need for it.
Totally agree espescially if you consider that to repair, it costs about $100. Might as well just use your curb rashed wheel as a fullsize spare.
Old 10-26-2014 | 01:17 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ I agree, despite what most repair companies will say, a repaired wheel finish is not as durable as coming straight from the factory. Not sure why but I have known too many people who had their wheels repaired only to see them chip, peel or oxidize much quicker.
Old 10-26-2014 | 02:18 PM
Suzuka Master

If it were me Id then want to fix the rash on my spare.

SMH. Dont sweep the dirt under the rub OP. Fix the damn wheel you ruined.

I know this is trivial, but damn. Who wants to fix what theyve ruined when you can just buy a new one right?

Last edited by usdmJON; 10-26-2014 at 02:21 PM.