Mechanic needed for 2016 TLX

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 03:35 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mechanic needed for 2016 TLX

I have a 2016 TLX, V6. I live in CT, and looking for an experienced Acura mechanic that can diagnose my car and determine why there is excessive vibration when VCM kicks in (at all speeds if cruising on level or slightly downhill). I would love to turn this damn VCM off if that is an option. I have been to dealerships, met with district managers, and contacted Acura customer service, and none of them want to assist.... they say the car is operating as designed and there is no software upgrade to fix.

I am desperate and willing to pay good money to assist me with this issue. I love the car, but cannot stand the VCM.
Old 02-10-2018, 04:14 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Not sure where in CT you are but I have a great Honda / Acura / Toyota / Lexus mechanic in Barrington, RI. Has saved me a ton of $$$ Let me know.
Old 02-10-2018, 05:31 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
VCM vibration is common in the the TLX. I own A 2015 that has the vibration. I have driven 16 and 17's and they all have the vibration. The dealer couldn't do anything for me. You either need the VCMMuzzler or the S-VCM controller. I had the VCMMuzzler installed but took it off because I had my car serviced. After reading I am not putting it back on. The VCMMuzzler alters the engine temp signal the computer gets to keep it below the threshold so the ecu doesn't engage VCM. It does work. After some reading, I discovered that the ecu and dash gauge wouldn't know if the car actually over heated because the device alters the signal back to the ecu. So I purchased the S-VCM device that will provide the ecu with an accurate signal if the coolant temp goes over a set threshold. I haven't installed it yet though. Here is the ebay link. https://www.ebay.com/itm/152897984909?ViewItem=&vxp=mtr&item=152897984909
Old 02-10-2018, 06:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by wagsrules
VCM vibration is common in the the TLX. I own A 2015 that has the vibration. I have driven 16 and 17's and they all have the vibration. The dealer couldn't do anything for me. You either need the VCMMuzzler or the S-VCM controller. I had the VCMMuzzler installed but took it off because I had my car serviced. After reading I am not putting it back on. The VCMMuzzler alters the engine temp signal the computer gets to keep it below the threshold so the ecu doesn't engage VCM. It does work. After some reading, I discovered that the ecu and dash gauge wouldn't know if the car actually over heated because the device alters the signal back to the ecu. So I purchased the S-VCM device that will provide the ecu with an accurate signal if the coolant temp goes over a set threshold. I haven't installed it yet though. Here is the ebay link. https://www.ebay.com/itm/15289798490...m=152897984909
is the difference night and day with the svcm device vs without?
Old 02-10-2018, 06:30 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mondster
is the difference night and day with the svcm device vs without?
I actually don't have the S-VCM device installed but I assume it works just like the VCM muzzler which keeps VCM off. VCM drives me crazy. I hate it. I can feel it everytime it kicks on and off unless I am driving over 70.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:39 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
VCM vibration is common in the the TLX. I own A 2015 that has the vibration. I have driven 16 and 17's and they all have the vibration. The dealer couldn't do anything for me. You either need the VCMMuzzler or the S-VCM controller. I had the VCMMuzzler installed but took it off because I had my car serviced. After reading I am not putting it back on. The VCMMuzzler alters the engine temp signal the computer gets to keep it below the threshold so the ecu doesn't engage VCM. It does work. After some reading, I discovered that the ecu and dash gauge wouldn't know if the car actually over heated because the device alters the signal back to the ecu. So I purchased the S-VCM device that will provide the ecu with an accurate signal if the coolant temp goes over a set threshold. I haven't installed it yet though. Here is the ebay link. https://www.ebay.com/itm/15289798490...m=152897984909
id like to see more data from another source other than the s-vcm vendor about the issue with the vcmuzzler
Old 02-11-2018, 08:49 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Robs252

id like to see more data from another source other than the s-vcm vendor about the issue with the vcmuzzler

Well all the VCM Muzzler does is add a resistor in one of the lines which changes the signal sent to the ecu. The temperature gauge does read a lower temp as a result. You can swap the resistor depending on your ambient temperature. The S-VCM is just an adjustable resistor. You could get the VCM Muzzler but it is the same cost as the S-VCM controller. I did use the VCM Muzzler for 2 years though without issues. I guess it is only going to be an issue if you have a cooling system problem. There is a huge thread over on the Honda Odyssey forums. VCM vibration has been an issue since Honda introduced it so this is not just an Acura problem.

Last edited by wagsrules; 02-11-2018 at 08:51 AM.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:57 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Well all the VCM Muzzler does is add a resistor in one of the lines which changes the signal sent to the ecu. The temperature gauge does read a lower temp as a result. You can swap the resistor depending on your ambient temperature. The S-VCM is just an adjustable resistor. You could get the VCM Muzzler but it is the same cost as the S-VCM controller. I did use the VCM Muzzler for 2 years though without issues. I guess it is only going to be an issue if you have a cooling system problem. There is a huge thread over on the Honda Odyssey forums. VCM vibration has been an issue since Honda introduced it so this is not just an Acura problem.
yes. I am using the vcmuzzler as well without issues. I am referring to the claim the other vendor made about the issues the car could have if it overheats.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:22 AM
Styl1n

Received 159 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Gelrod
I have a 2016 TLX, V6. I live in CT, and looking for an experienced Acura mechanic that can diagnose my car and determine why there is excessive vibration when VCM kicks in (at all speeds if cruising on level or slightly downhill). I would love to turn this damn VCM off if that is an option. I have been to dealerships, met with district managers, and contacted Acura customer service, and none of them want to assist.... they say the car is operating as designed and there is no software upgrade to fix.

I am desperate and willing to pay good money to assist me with this issue. I love the car, but cannot stand the VCM.
This is the answer, works like a dream

https://acurazine.com/forums/fifth-g...-tlx-2015-415/
Old 02-12-2018, 12:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Originally Posted by kuzdu
This is the answer, works like a dream

https://acurazine.com/forums/fifth-g...-tlx-2015-415/
To fix all of the TLX's problems? Would indeed help lol. Small typo in url I believe.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:09 PM
Styl1n

Received 159 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by pyrodan007
To fix all of the TLX's problems? Would indeed help lol. Small typo in url I believe.
yup anyone who wants to get the vcmuzzler you can do a search or google it everyone on the Honda forums says it’s good. I know your pains mine was a first build and it was pure hell. I’m supposed to pick up my Aspec in 2 weeks so that will be the solution to my issues lol
The following users liked this post:
pyrodan007 (02-12-2018)