Headunit / center stack dead / Fuse? What did I do??

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2021 | 05:58 PM
Intermediate

Headunit / center stack dead / Fuse? What did I do??

I've made myself nauseas.

pulled my head unit to install a grom. The Grom had a bad video cable and company is exchanging for new writing harnesses.

i plugged everything back in factory but left everything disassembled. The radio unit was just gently sitting in place but not pushed in.

Ride to work was fine (20 minutes). Radio. AC. Nav etc. today on way hone after about 15 minutes soft pop (maybe just amp) and entire center stack is dead.

there was no slicing or cutting of wires. Grom is all plug and play. All fairly robust harnesses "clicked into place".

is it remotely possible the chassis of the head unit is grounded to the car through all the screws that hold it in place? Could metal of chassis bump metal of frame it mounts into and blow a fuse?

my first question is where is fuse for center stack? I found multiple fuse diagrams and feel like an idiot. I don't see anything like amp, navigation, display, hvac, etc.

since it all died at once is there a larger fuse that controls the entire center stack?

I'd greatly appreciate any advice to walk me off the cliff!

Old 04-08-2021 | 10:03 PM
Intermediate

TLTR: don't leave stereo half out and drive around.

I'll reply to my own thread with updates in case anyone else runs into this bizarre and unexpected outcome.

1) I found the fuse for the stereo in the main panel inside under the dash (in one of the two sub boxes). It was in fact blown.

2) I pulled most cables from head unit and found the largest one that has the locking mechanism must of somehow gotten hung up on the frame where the two lower bolts clamp down. Keep in mind I never "pushed" or shoved the stereo back into place. I gently tried nudging it back but couldn't get it to seat. Concerned wires were out of place I thought it was wise to leave it be and deal with it later.

im guessing while driving small bumps were causing a little shake and a sharp edge was eating throguh the harness.

the wire seems intact. Some others seem slightly frayed but I see no copper.

im going to wrap each wire individually in electrical tape. Then wrap the bundle again. Replace the fuse and say a prayer.

looking at the wire I'm guessing the wire made contact with the metal frame and not another wire in the harness. Hoping fuse caught it before any damage occurring to head unit.

will keep post updated. Ugh. All this for CarPlay.

Old 04-09-2021 | 10:06 AM
Intermediate

I wrapped the individual wires that showed any fraying with electrical tape . It was really just that one. A few looked nicked, but not all the way through but I wrapped them as well to be safe. Then rewrapped entire wire bundle.

replaced the 20amp fuse and I'm back in business.

also with that harness readjusted head unit effortlessly goes back into place. Considering it takes some finagling to get it out I figured there would be some finagling to get it back in. That is not the case. If there is any resistance whatsoever, stop. Double check harnesses and wiring is all clear and try again. Don't let even the weight of the head unit rest on the harness. I'm guessing the edge of that mounting frame has some sharp edges.