Has Acura fixed the highway vibration issues on the 2016 models?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 07:30 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny

Originally Posted by flip2k
Acura had goodwilled 4 new Michelin pilot tires and the car still vibrates. I drove the car with the service manager and Acura district manager. They did acknowledge the vibration but both said that it was a characteristic of the car. WTF !! On a 40k plus car I said.they told me they will be looking out for any more tsb's regarding the issue. So they upgraded me to a 7 year extended Acura care warranty free of charge . Today I test drove a 2018 TLX Fwd Aspec and it had the same vibrating characteristic as I have on my car. Any suggestions would be most welcome.
I believe that they have an issue with the Transmission. Or the clutch I have a 2016 TLX 9speed with dual clutch. Mine vibrates at high speed and at around 40 mph. Feels like the car is in the wrong gear. Had it to the dealer twice. First time they did the software update. It did nothing. Second time they changed all the trans nountings and bolts. Still vibrates... I'm so frustrated with it because you can't really enjoy the car when it vibrates.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:18 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Nexx
It's the axle. I had a few clients with this issue and only thing that fixed was the axle
Which axle did you replace?
Old 10-29-2017, 11:25 AM
10th Gear

Well here is the latest. The dealer had the car for a week in August and 3 weeks in October. Still not solved. Here is what was done, road force balance the original tires, install new tires/wheels from a 2018, removed the rear axles and the driveshaft, so the rear diff was isolated and not engaged. All these things and no fix found. One interesting thing, that is leading us to think it is the suspension. After having the car on the lift and then taking out for a ride, things are pretty good for about 15 minutes and then the vibration returns. We also now have a very easy way to confirm the vibration. With no one in the front seat, just watch the seat belt clip next to the center armrest, mine shakes like crazy, I have several videos that I have shown the dealer and they agree that it is not "normal". Disappointed that they can't solve it. Acura Canada engineering and customer relations are involved, but I fear it will go nowhere. In my case, we've been working on this for 18 months and many trips to the dealer. Interesting that I have driven a 2016 MDX and the seat belt clip shakes, a 2017 TLX and it shakes. Also, interesting that I drove a 2015 TLX 4 cylinder and the seat belt clip did not shake at all, it had the diamond cut 19" wheels on it. Does anyone know a good class action lawyer? If we all band together, we might be able to force Acura to buy them all back from us and simply move on, tired of spending my time and energy to try and solve theor problem. I didn't sign up to be a beta tester for Acura!
Old 10-31-2017, 10:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by WildWilly1100
Well here is the latest. The dealer had the car for a week in August and 3 weeks in October. Still not solved. Here is what was done, road force balance the original tires, install new tires/wheels from a 2018, removed the rear axles and the driveshaft, so the rear diff was isolated and not engaged. All these things and no fix found. One interesting thing, that is leading us to think it is the suspension. After having the car on the lift and then taking out for a ride, things are pretty good for about 15 minutes and then the vibration returns. We also now have a very easy way to confirm the vibration. With no one in the front seat, just watch the seat belt clip next to the center armrest, mine shakes like crazy, I have several videos that I have shown the dealer and they agree that it is not "normal". Disappointed that they can't solve it. Acura Canada engineering and customer relations are involved, but I fear it will go nowhere. In my case, we've been working on this for 18 months and many trips to the dealer. Interesting that I have driven a 2016 MDX and the seat belt clip shakes, a 2017 TLX and it shakes. Also, interesting that I drove a 2015 TLX 4 cylinder and the seat belt clip did not shake at all, it had the diamond cut 19" wheels on it. Does anyone know a good class action lawyer? If we all band together, we might be able to force Acura to buy them all back from us and simply move on, tired of spending my time and energy to try and solve theor problem. I didn't sign up to be a beta tester for Acura!
Would be reasonable to request a buyback from Acura at this point since it's been in service for a extended period of time and no solution has been found. I don't know if the buyback or lemon law is available in Canada but if everyone is involved like you said (Dealer, Acura Engineer, and ACR), it should be straightforward.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:26 AM
10th Gear

Not likely to happen....

There is no lemon law in Canada, and we need one, but that's another story. I've asked several times for Acura to simply take the car back and stop the lease payments, but so far they have not been agreeable to that. I just want it gone but it's not quite that easy. Can't get enough to payout the lease trading it in, we're probably $5K short, I think its safe to say the TLX has a reputation and no one really wants it. Feeling very stuck at the moment.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:48 AM
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by hadokenuh
Would be reasonable to request a buyback from Acura at this point since it's been in service for a extended period of time and no solution has been found. I don't know if the buyback or lemon law is available in Canada but if everyone is involved like you said (Dealer, Acura Engineer, and ACR), it should be straightforward.
Yep, no such law as "Lemon Law " or "Buy Back" program in Canada. Only way to fight them is court, like I am doing.

Thanks, Mickey
Old 10-31-2017, 11:54 AM
10th Gear

How is the court thing going?? What do you think your chances are of winning? I feel very strongly that Acura/Honda need to step up to the plate here and take responsibility for this. Sure I could take a $5K loss, trade it in, and move on, but that's not the point. I've owned 16 Honda/Acura cars over the years and they need to make this right.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:13 PM
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Hi WildWilly1100,

One thing i learn over the last year , is that, no matter how faithful you were to a company, in my case over 35 years, they will try to wear you down till you just let go and give up.
They decide to contest my lawsuit and go to court, they well know that it can take up to 18 months before being heard by a judge. So they probably think i will let go.
They don't know me very well. This is why i am asking for anyone that had similar issue to send me feedback so i can continue building my case against them.
For my chances, i really don't know, but the more i can get from all of you, better my chances will be with a strong case.

Thanks Mickey.
Old 11-23-2017, 05:43 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 TLX A-Spec FWD and I have a slight vibration at 75MPH. The passenger seat back shakes. Took it in for service and balancing came out fine. Dealer admitted to Honda acknowledging the the issue but no resolution. I can lemon law it but I’m not sure. It’s not a bad vibration but the unpopulated passenger seat back moves. 70MPH and 80 are ok, it’s mainly at 75. I paid 44k for a new car that vibrates......maybe I will start pressing the dealer to look into this matter more if I complain enough.
Old 11-24-2017, 03:01 PM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by freakerdude
2018 TLX A-Spec FWD and I have a slight vibration at 75MPH. The passenger seat back shakes. Took it in for service and balancing came out fine. Dealer admitted to Honda acknowledging the the issue but no resolution. I can lemon law it but I’m not sure. It’s not a bad vibration but the unpopulated passenger seat back moves. 70MPH and 80 are ok, it’s mainly at 75. I paid 44k for a new car that vibrates......maybe I will start pressing the dealer to look into this matter more if I complain enough.
Others have reported that switching to better tires and/or having the tires road force balanced has helped with the vibration issue. I know each state is different, but I suspect you will have problems succeeding with a lemon law case if all you have is a slight vibration. Others have also reported that after you start with a lemon law case, Acura will no longer try to fix the problem.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:28 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Don’t waste money on new tires. I put on Michelin’s and no change. Seat vibrated like you state. Seat belt would start smacking the center console. Random vibrations on the highway. Sold the car after 6 months and list 10G. Last ACURA ever for me.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:14 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cruiserchuck
Others have reported that switching to better tires and/or having the tires road force balanced has helped with the vibration issue. I know each state is different, but I suspect you will have problems succeeding with a lemon law case if all you have is a slight vibration. Others have also reported that after you start with a lemon law case, Acura will no longer try to fix the problem.
I have Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires and honestly, I don't think you can get much better quality wise. Plus, I am not spending a $1000 of my own money on this issue at some attempt to correct it myself. My vibration is minimal so I can't see this being deemed defective but if it gets worse, I have 24 months in Florida to use the lemon law. Thanks for the replies!
Old 11-25-2017, 07:52 PM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by freakerdude
I have Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires and honestly, I don't think you can get much better quality wise. Plus, I am not spending a $1000 of my own money on this issue at some attempt to correct it myself. My vibration is minimal so I can't see this being deemed defective but if it gets worse, I have 24 months in Florida to use the lemon law. Thanks for the replies!
I was not suggesting that you swap out the tires at your own expense, but instead to try to get Acura to do so at their expense. If you already have Michelin tires, then Acura is probably not going to swap them out for you. There were reports from earlier years that for some owners, Acura was swapping out the Goodyear and Bridgestone tires and putting on Michelin's instead to try to fix vibration issues.