broken stud - cost to replace $600!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 09:08 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
broken stud - cost to replace $600!

Hello,

I have a 2017 TLX (~17000 Km). I did a mistake that I over-tightened a front wheel nut, and that broke the wheel stud. I was using a torque wrench but for some reason the wheel stub got broken. I drove the car after that for 2 weeks and I did not hear any noise, so the wheel was not lose when I over-tightened the nut.

I got an appointment at Acura service and at first I the estimate was 1-hour labor and few dollars for the stud. After the inspection, they said that the broken stud can not come out because it binds on the hub, and they have to pull off the hub to replace. They said I have to replace the wheel hub, bearings, speed sensor. The quote was 268 for the parts, two hours labor, and wheel alignment. Total cost would be around 600+tax. I was too frustrated and wanted to get a second opinion, so I just bought the stud from Acura parts and I brought the car to another reputable tire shop. Again, first they told me that it would cost 0.5-1.0 hour labor to replace the stud, then after inspection they told me it would not take less than 2.5 hours, and I may need a new hub. They advised me to do it at Acura service since it is a new car.

It is stupid but not uncommon to break a wheel stud. My question is why it makes such damage for the TLX? It seems that neither Acura service nor the other tire shop expected that they need to change the wheel hub? Is that a poor design/bad engineering? Did anyone see this problem before? Should I contact Acura customer relations and try to fix it under the warranty?

Thanks
Old 12-01-2017, 04:27 AM
Banned

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts
Break off a head bolt, main bearing bolt or some other crucial bolt and find out what it costs. It will be expensive. Is it poor design or bad engineering? Nope. The torque specifications are there for a reason. If you decide not to follow them or do it incorrectly, you have to pay. I know when I first started turning wrenches, I was lazy about using the torque wrench and broke way too many bolts. Now the torque wrench is my friend and I haven't broken a bolt in a long time. I still see newbies mechanics using their impact wrench on all the wrong types of things..... They will learn the hard way.
The following 2 users liked this post by Crashmaster:
justnspace (12-01-2017), msokar (12-01-2017)
Old 12-01-2017, 06:14 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Agreed with Crashmaster!
you made a mistake. mistakes happen!

Be this a lesson for you to torque the lugs CORRECTLY.

also, I'm betting if you knew indie mechanics; they would have helped you out with the price.
but alas; we pay for the shit we dont know how to do. and this is something you didn't know how to do. Suck it up!
The following users liked this post:
msokar (12-01-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 09:47 AM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
My guess is that when you drove with the broken stud it hogged out the hub because it wasn't secure. As an ace mechanic I know says, "education is expensive."
Old 12-04-2017, 09:51 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the answers. Is wheel alignment is required after the wheel hub replacement?
Old 12-04-2017, 10:16 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
I might be a bit ignorant on the safety impact of a broken wheel stud, but if it were me, I'd drill out the stud, tap and die the hub and stick another stud from home depot in there that has threading the same as the lugnut and call it a day. That's probably not recommended by some mechanics but with four good studs, a "non hub-binding" stud doesn't seem like it would be a problem. But it's probably better to be safe than sorry. For me, I'd go that route and just monitor the stud to make sure it's not coming loose.