Dead TLX Battery....SMH

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 08:02 AM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
I would switch the battery to a better brand next year.

its going to happen again, as Acura's batteries arent all that stout.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts
What I like about Honda/Acura batteries is that they go bad nearly on the 3-year anniversary. Just before my warranty ran out I got a new one under warranty. I rarely keep a car longer than 3 years. Good fit for me.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:43 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Quandry
I'll admit I spent a fair amount of time with it in AUX mode checking out features and settings. The tow truck operator suggested having many calls for Acura vehicles that were parked with the audio running which drained the battery.

This should be one of the avoidance tips passed on by the sales rep at delivery.
Especially if the car is new and has only be driven on short test drives or not at all. The capacity can be low. I have a short daily commute and that doesn't charge the battery fully. I bonked my battery this way too. I thought it should have been okay but I think the capacity was low to start with.

Originally Posted by tlxsteve
Wow! I've been awfully lucky or is it because I live in a warm state?

I have never used a trickle charger or had the battery go dead when the car was new. I can understand it happens but is this more frequent in the frozen north?

I have left previous cars sit idle for 30 days while I was on deployment and never had an issue starting up the first time on return. Maybe with all of the tech the TLX has, it is a power hog? I could see that.

Amazing how northerners live so differently than southerners.

trickle chargers, snow tires, heated steering wheels...
I've been a northerner and now a southerner. Winters like this I'm glad to be a southerner, but this summer I'd wish for northern climate. But here it is all about tint and hoping to get ventilated seats in my next car.

Originally Posted by Frazmcp26
On a brighter note service called and said my baby is ready to roll. The problem was a dead cell so the battery was replaced. My salesman also called me and said my first two maintenance service will be no charge. He also reminded me to please give him a good write up on the Acura survey.
I've had a brand new Autozone Gold top loose a cell shortly after I installed it. It was replaced. $hit happens. I think your salesman really took care of you.
The following users liked this post:
tlxsteve (02-19-2015)
Old 02-19-2015, 07:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
Especially if the car is new and has only be driven on short test drives or not at all. The capacity can be low. I have a short daily commute and that doesn't charge the battery fully. I bonked my battery this way too. I thought it should have been okay but I think the capacity was low to start with.
The car was new but had been taken on a 4-hour return drive a week before so that should have been enough to take it to full capacity.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:14 PM
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Frazmcp26
Thanks I'll give it read later

I got mines at Paragon Acura but Valley Stream Acura is a lot closer

The most common 3G TL battery drain issue was usually diagnosed as a faulty Bluetooth module. Regardless of whether you used Bluetooth or not, the module would quite often have an open circuit. I had this happen. Issue was compounded by being in SLC with 2' of snow and zero degree temperatures for weeks at a time. Rough conditions for batteries.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:48 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I live in the Dallas area also, and I seem to have had my share of Acura batteries go bad after a couple of years. I get about every other one replaced under warranty.

Does anyone know if the new Acura batteries still use the conventional lead-acid technology? When the Start-Stop systems were released several years ago, there were discussions that a lead-acid battery couldn't handle the load. I was wondering if they now use something like a NiMh or Li-ion instead.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:06 PM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by ITdude
I live in the Dallas area also, and I seem to have had my share of Acura batteries go bad after a couple of years. I get about every other one replaced under warranty.

Does anyone know if the new Acura batteries still use the conventional lead-acid technology? When the Start-Stop systems were released several years ago, there were discussions that a lead-acid battery couldn't handle the load. I was wondering if they now use something like a NiMh or Li-ion instead.
Only the V6 SH-AWD has start stop. That car may have an AGM battery, but I'm pretty sure all the others have regular sealed lead-acid battery. My wife's Mini with start-stop has an AGM battery that is over $300 to replace.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:09 AM
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
Only the V6 SH-AWD has start stop. That car may have an AGM battery, but I'm pretty sure all the others have regular sealed lead-acid battery. My wife's Mini with start-stop has an AGM battery that is over $300 to replace.

The SH-awd has a conventional lead acid battery. Put a .3 amp/hr charge on any new battery as soon as possible to help ensure maximum service life. You'd be surprised at how many batteries are put into service with a low charge because it takes time and labor to properly charge a battery to capacity prior to putting it into service. My new TLX took 36 hours to charge to capacity at .3 amp/hr....do the math.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:16 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 tlx 2.4 tech. Battery issue

Our TLX has 9000 miles on it, car sat all night and 4pm next day would not start just click click click, no problem jump starting, checked cells with hydrometer and all were 1175 should be apx. 1260 reading trickle charged on 2 amps took 3 nights to get battery back to full charge, its been one week and so far ok, had 2010 tsx 2.4 and same issue, think these cars have very slow drain and the cars charging system will only keep battery at current state of charge, think it is best to put a trickle charger on apx every 3 months to top off battery, will be keeping a close eye on this to see how fast the specific gravity drops and when i need to to off battery again, Note: live in charlotte nc and car is in garage every night. will give updates. thks
Old 03-04-2016, 12:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Hmm.

Wonder if many of these batteries are being killed during dealer prep. If the car is left in Accessory mode for a long time, it can definitely happen.

I use a CTEK charger for my summer car, and I love it. My father's 4G battery died while he was away for 6 weeks, so I hooked up my CTEK to it this past weekend. 2 days later when I went back, it was totally fine.

FYI trickle charges like the CTEK have desulfating modes which are the best way you can charge a battery that has been fully drained. If you have the time, and means, I would definitely recommend one over a traditional "rapid" charger.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:20 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
I took a work from home position and can go over a week without driving my car - always fires right up like the first day I got it.
Old 03-04-2016, 01:04 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just visited CTEK website, looks like a good way to go, they have a large selection, little confused, do you have one you would recommend. thks
Old 03-04-2016, 01:56 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,237 Likes on 1,024 Posts
I've had good luck with the NOCO Genius Charger G3500 www.geniuschargers.com They, like CTEK, have a whole line of chargers that also do maintenance. There are some that can be used as a jump starter as well. It's really up to what you want/need and how much you want to spend. You can use NOCO15 for $15 off.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by E-Z-GO
Just visited CTEK website, looks like a good way to go, they have a large selection, little confused, do you have one you would recommend. thks
I have the 3300. Had it for over 6 yrs now, and use it every weekend. It's also the OEM charger for Porsche, Ferrari, Aston, and a few others.

I was about to pick up a Noco in December as an Amazon lightning deal since it was so cheap. Did a little research and found this article testing them both.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...FJi-D_1UOlgINw

The comments had some interesting info, and I ended up passing on it.

Last edited by Mr Hyde; 03-04-2016 at 06:53 PM.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:00 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by tlxsteve
Wow! I've been awfully lucky or is it because I live in a warm state?

I have never used a trickle charger or had the battery go dead when the car was new. I can understand it happens but is this more frequent in the frozen north?

I have left previous cars sit idle for 30 days while I was on deployment and never had an issue starting up the first time on return. Maybe with all of the tech the TLX has, it is a power hog? I could see that.

Amazing how northerners live so differently than southerners.

trickle chargers, snow tires, heated steering wheels...
No, you don't live in a magical state. I've had batteries up and die for no reason on me on my 3G TL after 1 or 2 years and I live in Texas.

Also, in the battery industry it's been said over and over that hot weather is worse for cars than cold weather. Or as I was once told, "batteries die in the summer and fall over in the winter".
Old 03-04-2016, 07:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
No, you don't live in a magical state. I've had batteries up and die for no reason on me on my 3G TL after 1 or 2 years and I live in Texas.

Also, in the battery industry it's been said over and over that hot weather is worse for cars than cold weather. Or as I was once told, "batteries die in the summer and fall over in the winter".
Agree, 100% I've only had old batteries die on me without cause in the summers.

Oh yeah. The reason I love my Ctek is due to my Audi. Battery was 9 years old when I replaced it this past summer. It wasn't dead yet, but I felt uncomfortable knowing it was that old.

Not only was it 9 years old, but during Hurricane Sandy, since my car is not by daily driver, for 10 days I took the 60lb AGM battery out of the car, and hooked it up to my steam heat system for my house, and pumps for my saltwater fish tanks using an inverter. Only used it on demand, and charged it at my relatives every other day.

Having gone through all that, of course I got a new battery, dropped it in, and a month or 2 ago, didn't hook up the Ctek after a drive, and killed the new battery when I left my aftermarket Bluetooth music hookup plugged in. Ctek brought it back to life though.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:43 PM
Needs a 930

Received 759 Likes on 547 Posts
Damn, my 3G battery wouldn't make it past 2 days of no driving. Shit was annoying. I would get a new battery every year under warranty so I'm not complaining to much, just hope this isn't the same for the TLX
Old 03-05-2016, 03:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Mr Hyde...I have a CTEK 3300 too and I swear by that product! Best little gizmo ever invented although I am sure my g/f would disagree (lol)
Old 03-05-2016, 07:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
I was away for 3 weeks recently with the car parked underground parking, averaging about 8C temperature. It started immediately without any hesitation.

As reports suggest, it seems that a new batteries with loose long term strength if it is almost fully discarded in its early life and not recharged slowly.
Old 03-06-2016, 03:31 AM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by E-Z-GO
CTEK Multi US 4.3 - CTEK Battery ChargersCTEK Battery Chargers

I have this one. It will also charge my wife's AGM battery. It will also recondition a battery. It can be had cheaper on Amazon, sometimes with accessories. It has a cables with a connector that I have installed on my battery terminals. I can connect it in seconds and I also have an adapter with a cigarette lighter socket that runs my 12v air pump. That has blown 3 12 amp fuses in the car so I connect directly to the battery now.