Dead battery?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 06:34 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Dead battery?

Ok so I've never owned one of these push button start cars so this is a bit new to me. I had the car in accessory mode for something like 30 minutes. Went to start the car and you hear a whirring noise similar to a dead battery in a normal car. Then I get a whole bunch of system error messages flashing on the dash. My key fob doesn't appear to work either, lock, unlock, trunk, and I can't roll up my window either. The last portions make me think its not a dead battery as with every car I've owned you can still roll up the windows and unlock the car unless the battery is completely and utterly toast.

Anyone have any insight?
Old 10-06-2014, 06:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Acura is notorious for weak batteries!! I was wondering how long it would be until we saw our first TLX with a dead battery post....congrats for the unpopular honor!
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (10-06-2014)
Old 10-06-2014, 06:50 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Definitely sounds dead from your description. I'm not sure if Acura Total Luxury Care would help since they provide roadside assistance, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Their number is 800-594-8500. If you or a neighbor has a charger, I would try that first.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:51 PM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by nab0610
Ok so I've never owned one of these push button start cars so this is a bit new to me. I had the car in accessory mode for something like 30 minutes. Went to start the car and you hear a whirring noise similar to a dead battery in a normal car. Then I get a whole bunch of system error messages flashing on the dash. My key fob doesn't appear to work either, lock, unlock, trunk, and I can't roll up my window either. The last portions make me think its not a dead battery as with every car I've owned you can still roll up the windows and unlock the car unless the battery is completely and utterly toast.

Anyone have any insight?
If this were roulette, I'd throw my $$ on Red -- assuming of course Red = dead battery.

It does sound like a dead battery to me. Of course the only way to know for sure is to find someone to give you a jump start.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:52 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I will make sure to keep the car running while I customize my settings. When it actually shows up...
Old 10-06-2014, 06:55 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
Acura is notorious for weak batteries!! I was wondering how long it would be until we saw our first TLX with a dead battery post....congrats for the unpopular honor!
Old 10-06-2014, 07:10 PM
Drifting

Received 221 Likes on 181 Posts
There was something a couple weeks ago in the OnePack videos about what Acura Service should do with dead batteries. Sounds like there might be a bad lot of batteries possibly. Go to the dealer and let them handle the issue or charge the battery if you have a charger and see if the issue repeats.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:16 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by weather
Well I come out of a BMW and there batteries would last literally forever in accessory mode. Not to mention if the battery was somewhat dead at about 7pm, by 7am it would start the car.

O well I have AAA, just going to call them got to get the bang for my buck.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ I am not sure why Acura hasn't learned by now to give us better batteries but its just the reality, sad but true.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:46 PM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
It could either be the battery or a parasitic drain from one of the electronics, particularly Hands Free Link. Or it could just be being in Accessory mode for 30 mins is playing with fire lol
Old 10-06-2014, 07:56 PM
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 302 Posts
lol. Click this link and read the post : Who makes Toyota and Acura batteries? | Mechanical /Maintenance Forum | Bob Is The Oil Guy

Originally Posted by 9SpeedTran
It could either be the battery or a parasitic drain from one of the electronics, particularly Hands Free Link. Or it could just be being in Accessory mode for 30 mins is playing with fire lol

Yup. The 3G's were notorious for this parasitic drain.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:11 PM
Drifting

If this is a brand new car that hasn't been driven much, there's a chance that the battery had lost it's charge just due to being lightly used over a period of time in which the alternator hasn't had enough time to charge the battery to 100%.

I would give it a full charge and see if the issue repeats. Imagine a factory that might have a 1-2 month supply of batteries, making the car, shipping the car (1-2 weeks), and preparing the car dealer. The battery could conceivably have been sitting for 4-10 weeks with just a few starts, test drives, etc. You then take delivery of the car and leave it on accessory mode shortly thereafter with the bluetooth, stereo, and navigation going. I could see how the battery might be a little weak starting the car.

Of coarse if the op has had his car for a month and this happened, we have a completely different issue. Not sure about the push-button start feature of this car, but a conventional key car has ACC-1 and ACC-2? positions and the second position does a much bigger drain on the battery than the first position does. Any chance of that happening?- that could explain a sudden drain of the battery in 30 minutes with the ventilation system going.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:15 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by LaCostaRacer
If this is a brand new car that hasn't been driven much, there's a chance that the battery had lost it's charge just due to being lightly used over a period of time in which the alternator hasn't had enough time to charge the battery to 100%.

I would give it a full charge and see if the issue repeats. Imagine a factory that might have a 1-2 month supply of batteries, making the car, shipping the car (1-2 weeks), and preparing the car dealer. The battery could conceivably have been sitting for 4-10 weeks with just a few starts, test drives, etc. You then take delivery of the car and leave it on accessory mode shortly thereafter with the bluetooth, stereo, and navigation going. I could see how the battery might be a little weak starting the car.

Of coarse if the op has had his car for a month and this happened, we have a completely different issue. Not sure about the push-button start feature of this car, but a conventional key car has ACC-1 and ACC-2? positions and the second position does a much bigger drain on the battery than the first position does. Any chance of that happening?- that could explain a sudden drain of the battery in 30 minutes with the ventilation system going.
Car has 500 miles on it so I don't think the battery wouldn't be fully charged.

Most likely the latter the car was i ACC-2, but 30 minutes is still a bit light to drain a battery down. You'd think in these cars the computer would be smart enough to give you a warning message that battery is getting low?

I'm not sure how to put the car in ACC-1 so only the radio plays, anyone know how?
Old 10-06-2014, 08:17 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 9SpeedTran
My sister had this on her 06 TL, I fixed it for her, but she never used the blue tooth.

My hands free link works though, wasn't that problem linked to the hands free not working and therefore constantly drawing a charge?
Old 10-06-2014, 08:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts
Car has 500 miles on it so I don't think the battery wouldn't be fully charged.

Most likely the latter the car was i ACC-2, but 30 minutes is still a bit light to drain a battery down. You'd think in these cars the computer would be smart enough to give you a warning message that battery is getting low?

I'm not sure how to put the car in ACC-1 so only the radio plays, anyone know how?
Acc-1 - Press button but don't press brake.

While in Acc-1, press button again to get to Acc-2 without touching brake. Press a third time without touching brake to turn off completely. Works for me.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:10 PM
Advanced

Well a jump fixed the problem, just found it odd that when the battery was dead it wouldn't even let you use key fob, lock/unlock, or roll up windows. Seems a bit short sighted to cut all electronic functions off to the car when the battery gets low, but not cut them off before the battery gets too low...
Old 10-07-2014, 04:44 AM
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
Mention it to the dealer - they have a test machine that can check the battery.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:54 AM
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

Anyone have any insight?
For several days after I got my V6 Advance, I would sit in my car during my lunch hour and "get to know" the car. I would do this in both ACC 1 & 2. I would spend easily a half hour to 40 minutes playing with the different settings, with the radio on. I know I may have been pushing the battery, but I didn't notice any ill effects and the battery seems as strong as before.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:34 PM
Drifting

Eventually your car will need service and have the dealer check the battery and explain what happened. Meanwhile use ACC-1 to play radio and possibly with Navigation as well- it's not clear if you have the Tech package or not.

I still think that the battery could have been in a partial charged state even with 500 miles. If there was lots of ACC 1/2 time scattered and relatively short jaunts with the car then it's possible the battery wasn't fully charged and 30 minutes of ACC-2 time killed it.

What does the stock battery rate for CCA's? The TLX is too new to see what size it is but perhaps Acura reduced the spec of the battery possibly.

It's also possible that you might have a bad battery and those odds will increase if you have another issue like this in the future.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:00 AM
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 100 Posts

Anyone have any insight?
110% dead battery. exact same thing happened to me on my 3G.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
Mark me up as the second case. Spent maybe 15 minutes with audio related stuff in ACC-1 mode on Monday, two very short runs on Tuesday, another 15-20 on Wednesday in ACC-1 mode, and another 10 minutes this morning in ACC-1 model. Would not start, and after trying a few time got a message stating P-AWS problem, and emergency brake problem. Turning on AC1éAC2 mode there would be a thump from the speakers.

Called roadside assistance and it started easily with the booster kit, but popped up some warning message (in French). So I took it for a 15 minute drive before hitting the dealership.The car would not start there and they put it on charge and then ran some tests. No problems found, but the wanted to replace the battery. There were none in stock (available tomorrow) and the only exchanges available from other new TLXès were I4 which has a smaller battery. I have a long run planned for the weekend so that should bring it up to full capacity.

The roadside assistance person suggested that he had a number of calls from MDX owners who sat in their cars on ACC-1 mode for 20 minutes and then could not start. He suggested the audio systems draws quite a bit of current.

A couple of weeks ago I was painting the garage door and had the audio going for at least 30 minutes without a problem.

So warning to everyone: do not use the audio in ACC-1 mode for any length of time.
Old 10-09-2014, 05:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by LaCostaRacer
There was something a couple weeks ago in the OnePack videos about what Acura Service should do with dead batteries. Sounds like there might be a bad lot of batteries possibly. Go to the dealer and let them handle the issue or charge the battery if you have a charger and see if the issue repeats.
yes there was.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:03 PM
Advanced

May just buy a booster box and leave it in my trunk. They'll last a long time and are fairly cheap can get a good one for around 50-60 bucks. Then I can run the car in that mode without any worries...
Old 10-14-2014, 09:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
This is a follow-up report. My battery was replaced today. The symptoms were inability to turn the engine over (a lot of chugging and clicking) but not enough to fire the engine. All other electrical functions were working including bright headlights. The problem started 5 weeks after taking delivery, so it worked for a while.

After the first failure, the battery was charged by the dealer, and the car started when on leaving the dealer (that would be at least two start after the charge) but failed the following morning. Got it boosted and went for a 90 minute drive. Failed to start the next morning.

On one of three occasions I was able to start using a booster box, but not the others. Jumper cables connected to another car at idle did not work but it did when the engine was revved. After many failed attempts to start, all the indicators lit up and warnings messages came on and stayed on when it eventually started (Christmas in October).

The many attempts over the last five days was because there were no batteries in stock (10 days back order), but the service rep was able to get one from another dealer.

At no time did the warning indicator about battery not being charged come on, and diagnostics did not should any charging or electrical problems. All is good for now.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
yes there was.
Wasn't it just with V6 Batteries?