Battery warranty and aftermarket Amp

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 04:10 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Battery warranty and aftermarket Amp

Hi guys, from what I read, my car battery should be under full warranty since my car is 2 yrs old with 37k miles. It dying and had to jump started the since yesterday. My car also has an aftermarket amp. Would the dealership give me a hard time about it, and use it as an excuse my battery fail premature because of the amp? My 2013 Accord did the same thing, and that car is stock. I didn't go thru the dealership so I don't know the process.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:31 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Honda batteries have a poor reputation. I'd take it to Autozone to have them tested, maybe there is a bad cell. That way you know what is wrong when you take it to the dealer. Do you commute short distances each day? Sometimes that results in a low charge on the battery. If the battery is not charging after jump starting and I assume driving the car, it could be a bad cell, or alternator. I have a charger and occasionally put mine on the charger. But I also no longer have a Honda battery.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:18 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
Honda batteries have a poor reputation. I'd take it to Autozone to have them tested, maybe there is a bad cell. That way you know what is wrong when you take it to the dealer. Do you commute short distances each day? Sometimes that results in a low charge on the battery. If the battery is not charging after jump starting and I assume driving the car, it could be a bad cell, or alternator. I have a charger and occasionally put mine on the charger. But I also no longer have a Honda battery.
Thanks Rocket_man. I do have a short commute but do drive far in the weekend. I agreed they have crappy batteries. My 2013 Accord battery died after 2 years and 3 months as well. I ended up got a replacement from walmart because I don't want to deal with the waiting at the dealership and possibly giving me some bs about my amp lol.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:21 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
^well, then.. DO the same thing...go to costco, sears, walmart, autozone for a battery
Old 06-13-2018, 04:58 PM
Racer

Yup, just want to see if I can save some money by going thru the warranty since I am still under warranty. But then again, I dont want to deal with the waiting and their excuses and might end up buying one elsewhere lol
Old 06-13-2018, 08:06 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
I already had a battery give me starting problems and replaced it on my own dime because Acura said the battery checked out ok. Maybe it did. About 1-1.5 years later, I'm having weak starts again. I mentioned it today at the dealership and they told me to set up an appointment for them to inspect the car and run tests. I may do it. It's obvious there's something wonky. BTW, I don't know who makes the Acura batteries, but my 2nd battery is an Interstate, so it may not be a battery issue, but if it is a battery issue, it seems they check out "ok".

My suggestion is to take it in ... yeah, you may be wasting your time, but then again, you could be saving nearly $150+ or so.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:43 AM
Racer

My service adviser mentioned that I have parasitic drain 3 months ago and blame it on my amp and cap. My capacitor usually shutoff like a minute or so after my car turn off, so when they measure it, it showed a small drain. I don't think this is the reason for my battery to failed this early. I took it to a mechanic place I know and asked to look at the drain, and just as I thought, the drain stopped after my cap shut off. I thought of disconnecting the cap and all, but that's a bit of a hassle, and don't want to hear their story about my cap because he wrote it on the work order note last time hahaha. Suck that I have to spent 100 bucks but less headache I guess :\
Old 06-19-2018, 07:14 PM
Drifting

FYI, I looked up when I bought my new battery. I bought the car new back in 8/2014 or 9/2014, I think. I replaced the battery on 6/24/2017 due to multiple failures to start on the first attempt that seemed to be getting worse and had been going on for months (the battery always tested "good" according to the dealer). Somehow the new battery seemed to fix the problem and I had no issues with the starts for months. Now I'm starting to have the issues again (it hasn't even been a month), so I dropped it off at the dealer so they can try to see if they can find the problem. No aftermarket anything in the car. I don't even charge my phone in the car anymore. lol. Crazy. I get the feeling they won't find anything, but oh well.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:14 AM
Racer

The last time I took it in, my service adviser said he wanted to replace my battery but due to my amp, he can't do it. He blame that I have an aftermarket amp and a capacitor causing parasitic drain, so can't replace it under warranty. They tested the battery and it was "good" so I wasn't sure why he wanted to replace it in the first place. This is the reason I was debating to removed my cap and amp and bring it back to them, but then don't want to deal with the hassle. My original battery date stamped 4/2016 and I had to replaced it 6/2018.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:28 PM
Drifting

Got my car back today, btw. They couldn't duplicate the weak start. Of course, I stop off at a convenient store and leave and it happens again. Like clockwork.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:22 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
Got my car back today, btw. They couldn't duplicate the weak start. Of course, I stop off at a convenient store and leave and it happens again. Like clockwork.
I think Acura's cars have a sensor installed in them. Whenever the car enter the dealer's parking lot, all the problems go into hibernation mode. As soon as you drove off the lot, the problems are waking up and fawk up your day again hahaha