2018 trans issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 06:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 380 Likes on 223 Posts
2018 trans issues

While the 2015 TLX sv9 trans issues are well documented in these forums I would like to know if the issues I experience are more isolated or just people have come to accept it.

After over 4K miles on my A-spec AWD I regularly experience this issue and maybe others do not but when I slow down and make a turn and step on the gas the car often stays in a higher gear for a couple seconds and does not accelerate and then even sometimes just plods along in a higher gear rather than downshifting. Granted I am not flooring it but I am putting the pedal down fairly far in sport mode. This happens fairly regularly and doesn't matter if I am turning onto another road with no incline and is even worse if I turn onto road that has an incline. The issue is always most pronounced after braking and then going to accelerate.

It seems a lot of people are saying the 2015 trans lag is gone so either my 2018 has some trans issues, I drive harder than most or it's still an issue. What do others here experience?
Old 01-11-2018, 09:18 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Would you want me to test something in particular on my 2018 (FWD) V6 TLX? I don't have the A-Spec, but my transmission and engine, at least, are supposed to be the same.

As we know, with the SH-AWD version in particular, people do so often talk about punching the gas coming out of turns - so, it would seem like your issue should not be how it's supposed to work? People remark about how great the performance is giving it some gas as you come out of the turn, allowing the torque vectoring to correct for understeer when powering out of turns?
Old 01-11-2018, 09:32 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
This symptom nearly got me into about 2 or 3 accidents when I first got my 2015 TLX a few years ago -- it would almost always happen when making a turn and happened a few times when I floored it to accelerate directly forward into a median to make a turn, but I can't recall it happening lately or it happens very infrequently. But to be honest, I don't drive this car very aggressively because of this very reason or because this issue existed back then, I should say. I didn't want to injure myself when the car just wouldn't go. It used to just sit there when I hit the gas pedal. Nowadays there may be a sluggishness here or there, but I haven't felt the completely dead "ain't going anywhere" feel that made my heart drop when I saw oncoming traffic.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Christopher.
Would you want me to test something in particular on my 2018 (FWD) V6 TLX? I don't have the A-Spec, but my transmission and engine, at least, are supposed to be the same.

As we know, with the SH-AWD version in particular, people do so often talk about punching the gas coming out of turns - so, it would seem like your issue should not be how it's supposed to work? People remark about how great the performance is giving it some gas as you come out of the turn, allowing the torque vectoring to correct for understeer when powering out of turns?
Chris, I know you have not had the car that long so you may not have had the issue or hopefully you do not. The sure way it happens is if you brake down from some speed to around 10 mph and then turn and hit the gas to go back up to speed. It's very repeatable. Probably most conservative drivers would not notice or experience it.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:40 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by jhb31
Chris, I know you have not had the car that long so you may not have had the issue or hopefully you do not. The sure way it happens is if you brake down from some speed to around 10 mph and then turn and hit the gas to go back up to speed. It's very repeatable. Probably most conservative drivers would not notice or experience it.
I'm very curious as to what the turning could possibly have to do with the issue. Is it traction control applying breaks for you? The "Super Handling Assist" perhaps? I mean, it doesn't sound like those things, from how you're describing the issue, but, I'm confused as to how that could happen. I mean how could turning affect the transmission or acceleration? Perhaps a bug where using the differential confuses the computer trying to calculate when to shift? The "locking" (dog clutch?) gears where the speed has to be exactly matched shouldn't be kicking in until a much higher speed, right?

@Rocketsfan
Well, I've only had mine a little over a month, but it has never, under any circumstances, felt like a lower performance car than my old 4 cylinder Toyota Camry?

Most people who's posts I've read describing their experience when "upgrading" from a TL to a TLX have mentioned that found the TLX to be a significant upgrade, with the caveat that the transmission could be slightly annoying, though not so bad as the problem you described. However, I've also read about 2015 owners with transmission problems that were definitely worse than a "minor annoyance". It is sad that some of them, including you, have still not had those problems satisfactorily resolved!

Last edited by Christopher.; 01-11-2018 at 09:46 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:32 AM
6 Forward 1 Back

Received 312 Likes on 155 Posts
I haven't noticed this behavior even though I do notice some lag sometimes. I'll give it a try the next time I'm out. Have you tried to mitigate it by dropping a gear with the paddles as you approach a turn? I'm learning to drop it down a gear when trying to merge onto the freeway quickly or anytime I try to avoid a lag appearing.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:27 AM
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 23 Posts
I don't have this this issue with my 2018 ASpec AWD.
I would go back to dealer.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:26 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Anyone having ANY sort of issues, be it tranny or just poor quality control, please watch this video.

If you didn't watch it, it basically says: If you are having quality control problems, no matter what the issue is...PLEASE REPORT it to your Acura DEALER.
Acura Dealers are working VERY closely with the Acura Engineers to come up with fixes as FAST as they can. THis is due to how close the Engineers are working with the dealers. it's imperative to fill out these forms to let Acura know how they can improve their product.
The following 2 users liked this post by justnspace:
jhb31 (01-12-2018), TacoBello (03-19-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 09:11 AM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
While the 2015 TLX sv9 trans issues are well documented in these forums I would like to know if the issues I experience are more isolated or just people have come to accept it.

After over 4K miles on my A-spec AWD I regularly experience this issue and maybe others do not but when I slow down and make a turn and step on the gas the car often stays in a higher gear for a couple seconds and does not accelerate and then even sometimes just plods along in a higher gear rather than downshifting. Granted I am not flooring it but I am putting the pedal down fairly far in sport mode. This happens fairly regularly and doesn't matter if I am turning onto another road with no incline and is even worse if I turn onto road that has an incline. The issue is always most pronounced after braking and then going to accelerate.

It seems a lot of people are saying the 2015 trans lag is gone so either my 2018 has some trans issues, I drive harder than most or it's still an issue. What do others here experience?
To overcome this infuriating behavior, I drive it most of the time in S or M mode (at least we have that option). Mine is a 2016 but I wondered if Acura has changed some programming for 2018 as we see a drop of approx. 1 mpg EPA, even on the non A-SPEC.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:22 AM
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 72 Posts
No complaints with my A-SPEC

On my route to work I have a nice right hand turn from a 40 MPH main road to a 30 MPH residential street. As I approach I use the paddles to drop down to 3rd or even second as I am starting my turn in. I get on the gas early and let the SHAWD pivot me through the turn. Taking this turn with a little aggression is a positive experience in my daily routine and one reason I will always have a car over an SUV as my daily.

The route to my mom's house includes a sort of chicane if the traffic is right and I catch the green light at the intersection. My eyes light up when approaching this desirable combination as it can be weeks between occurrences. Down shift via the paddles to 3rd from a 45 MPH main road to take a quick left then quick right then accelerate down the 40 MPH service road. Ahhhh the simple joys of life..........
The following 2 users liked this post by Terdbath:
CPR (01-12-2018), TacoBello (03-19-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 12:58 PM
CPR
Burning Brakes

Received 277 Likes on 144 Posts
A-Spec 9 Speed Tranny/SH-AWD

Originally Posted by Terdbath

On my route to work I have a nice right hand turn from a 40 MPH main road to a 30 MPH residential street. As I approach I use the paddles to drop down to 3rd or even second as I am starting my turn in. I get on the gas early and let the SHAWD pivot me through the turn. Taking this turn with a little aggression is a positive experience in my daily routine and one reason I will always have a car over an SUV as my daily.

The route to my mom's house includes a sort of chicane if the traffic is right and I catch the green light at the intersection. My eyes light up when approaching this desirable combination as it can be weeks between occurrences. Down shift via the paddles to 3rd from a 45 MPH main road to take a quick left then quick right then accelerate down the 40 MPH service road. Ahhhh the simple joys of life..........
Couldn't agree more!
Old 01-12-2018, 08:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Terdbath

My issue though is why the extreme lag and reluctance of the trans to drop down gears on its own rather than just hold on to a high gear when the driver has the pedal half or 3/4 of the way to the floor? The trans should be able to downshift appropriately based on the load and gas pedal pressure. I know its possible as our RDX does it and my TL did as well. In fact I think the TLX is the only automatic I have every owned that I ever really gave a thought to the shifting behavior. Getting down to third gear with the paddle shifters requires multiple downshifts through the gears in sport mode (sometime as many as 4 or 5 downshifts to get low enough) and often there is some surging when you do it. I noticed this in both 2017 and 18 models. I guess since a number of people are resorting to the paddle shifters to get around the lag means it's a common problem. I was going to wait till I needed the first service but I will make a call to the service dept to see if they can do anything to program out the lag.

I do enjoy turning a corner and putting the hammer down so to speak but it's not as much fun when not much happens.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by justnspace
Anyone having ANY sort of issues, be it tranny or just poor quality control, please watch this video.
If you didn't watch it, it basically says: If you are having quality control problems, no matter what the issue is...PLEASE REPORT it to your Acura DEALER.
Acura Dealers are working VERY closely with the Acura Engineers to come up with fixes as FAST as they can. THis is due to how close the Engineers are working with the dealers. it's imperative to fill out these forms to let Acura know how they can improve their product.
Thanks, that was very informative. They pretty much said in there that the design of the trans makes it behave different from other Acura transmissions (not in a good way) but in a way that customers were unhappy with and that they have been incrementally trying to get it to perform more like what drivers expect though numerous incremental updates. It does not say they have gotten there only that is better than it was as the number of complaints peaked earlier and has decreased although they did not say it's completely fixed. I would guess since they actually put this video out there is not much doubt this trans will not be in the next gen model.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:08 PM
2007 Cabon Bronze Pearl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh no!! I was actually thinking of getting a 2018 A-Spec this month. But after reading this, I don't know what to do. I am not much of a paddle shifter so I would rather it perform without the need of shifting paddles....This is terrible news
Old 01-14-2018, 06:20 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
At first I thought this was a joke and I laughed. Then I watched it and realized it was not a joke. And laughed even more.

I guarantee if he takes his TLX to the dealer and says it doesn't shift right he will be told that is just the way it is. Just like my dealership that tells me there is nothing they can do for my 2015 TLX transmission, that is just the way it is.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:15 PM
Drifting

I'm very curious as to what the turning could possibly have to do with the issue. Is it traction control applying breaks for you? The "Super Handling Assist" perhaps? I mean, it doesn't sound like those things, from how you're describing the issue, but, I'm confused as to how that could happen. I mean how could turning affect the transmission or acceleration? Perhaps a bug where using the differential confuses the computer trying to calculate when to shift? The "locking" (dog clutch?) gears where the speed has to be exactly matched shouldn't be kicking in until a much higher speed, right?

@Rocketsfan
Well, I've only had mine a little over a month, but it has never, under any circumstances, felt like a lower performance car than my old 4 cylinder Toyota Camry?

Most people who's posts I've read describing their experience when "upgrading" from a TL to a TLX have mentioned that found the TLX to be a significant upgrade, with the caveat that the transmission could be slightly annoying, though not so bad as the problem you described. However, I've also read about 2015 owners with transmission problems that were definitely worse than a "minor annoyance". It is sad that some of them, including you, have still not had those problems satisfactorily resolved!
Oh yeah, I want to make it clear, I do have a 2015 with the original garbage transmission that apparently doesn't need to be replaced. And I'm not saying the general performance of my car was bad. It would accelerate fine other than the horrible transmission issues with the shifting, coming out of park to drive issues, and delayed acceleration. That delayed acceleration that has basically made me drive this like a commuter car out of fear still occurs, but nothing like when I first bought the car when it was just dangerous. Subsequent fixes have made it almost disappear because I don't recall it happening too often anymore. The general performance of the car isn't too bad now ... definitely not Camry-like. I never meant to give that impression. I was just saying what jhb31 was almost exactly the problem I and others experienced in the past. His 2018 is the first one I've read about having these issues, so it was kind of surprising is all I was saying. Honestly, I'm not sure I've heard of a 2016-2017 having the problem, either, but not sure.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
Oh yeah, I want to make it clear, I do have a 2015 with the original garbage transmission that apparently doesn't need to be replaced. And I'm not saying the general performance of my car was bad. It would accelerate fine other than the horrible transmission issues with the shifting, coming out of park to drive issues, and delayed acceleration. That delayed acceleration that has basically made me drive this like a commuter car out of fear still occurs, but nothing like when I first bought the car when it was just dangerous. Subsequent fixes have made it almost disappear because I don't recall it happening too often anymore. The general performance of the car isn't too bad now ... definitely not Camry-like. I never meant to give that impression. I was just saying what jhb31 was almost exactly the problem I and others experienced in the past. His 2018 is the first one I've read about having these issues, so it was kind of surprising is all I was saying. Honestly, I'm not sure I've heard of a 2016-2017 having the problem, either, but not sure.
The issue may be more that I have not adapted to the transmissions characteristics. I drive in sport mode and if you're at a stop and then go its fine. However when you are in a braking situation and then want to accelerate it lags and despite putting the pedal down it will rarely downshift but stay in a higher gear and eventually hit a good power band. I think the other video posted earlier put out by Acura sums it up that the transmission does not behave as people expect. I said this before and I have owned probably two dozen or more cars and the 1st gen TLX is the only one that I ever put a thought into the transmission shifting performance. With other cars my only thought was I needed more HP but never thought the trans is not hitting a good gear to match the motor. I should have driven it longer on the test drive but I put a bit too much into people saying the A-Spec trans was perfect. I suspect that if you don't have any lead in your foot then you wouldn't know any better. Having had a type S for 10 years made it easy to tell the difference.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:57 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
At first I thought this was a joke and I laughed. Then I watched it and realized it was not a joke. And laughed even more.

I guarantee if he takes his TLX to the dealer and says it doesn't shift right he will be told that is just the way it is. Just like my dealership that tells me there is nothing they can do for my 2015 TLX transmission, that is just the way it is.
Correct! The forms are for future products.
It's unfortunate the way Acura is treating it's current customers, hopefully that changes in future products.
( I'm a big proponent of used cars and this is exactly the reason why. One simply doesn't know how the car drives and product is moved through hype/marketing)

Guarantee the RDX will suffer from first year bugs
Old 01-18-2018, 10:45 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
It's unfortunate the way Acura is treating it's current customers, hopefully that changes in future products.
( I'm a big proponent of used cars and this is exactly the reason why. One simply doesn't know how the car drives and product is moved through hype/marketing)

There is a lot of promise in the 2019 RDX, but the biggest uncertainty in the car is how well Acura will support it if/when something goes wrong. They did a very poor job of that on the TLX. Now if they made a video that said 'we didn't handle the 2015 TLX transmission problem well at all and we won't do that again. Any we will replacce any 2015 transmission at the owners request' you could knock me over with a feature and I'd happily buy from Acura again. But we all know that is not going to happen.

hmmmmm I seem to recall the current Gen RDX had some issues with the rear struts and rear end noise going over bumps. Owners were unsatisfied with Acura replacing defective struts with new defective struts and ended up replacing them with 3rd party struts. Another reason to avoid 1st year Acura products. My lesson learned the hard way. I'll learn those lessons from someone else next time.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:51 PM
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts
The issue may be more that I have not adapted to the transmissions characteristics. I drive in sport mode and if you're at a stop and then go its fine. However when you are in a braking situation and then want to accelerate it lags and despite putting the pedal down it will rarely downshift but stay in a higher gear and eventually hit a good power band. I think the other video posted earlier put out by Acura sums it up that the transmission does not behave as people expect. I said this before and I have owned probably two dozen or more cars and the 1st gen TLX is the only one that I ever put a thought into the transmission shifting performance. With other cars my only thought was I needed more HP but never thought the trans is not hitting a good gear to match the motor. I should have driven it longer on the test drive but I put a bit too much into people saying the A-Spec trans was perfect. I suspect that if you don't have any lead in your foot then you wouldn't know any better. Having had a type S for 10 years made it easy to tell the difference.
I have this weird issue too coming out of slow turns when I want to punch it and accelerate. Does nothing for a bit then accelerates hard. Keep trying different ways to get it to respond but it's inconsistent so hard to "get used" to it. Really, my only complaint with the car.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:59 AM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I have noticed this too in my 2016 TLX-SH AWD. There is a merge from my development onto the main road. I approach the merge at a slow roll, check the traffic, and then accelerate while turning to the right. Suddenly, there is just no power. No engine revving - just a deadness. I find myself feathering the gas pedal until it kicks into gear and then it engages hard. Haven't thought to try the paddle shifters but will the next time it happens. Causes me some concern - I cannot have a hesitation while merging. I will discuss it with the dealer at the next oil change.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I've been having this issue with my A-Spec lately. Only happens when turning to the right. Odd because it was this behavior (with error lights) that led to my turning in my RLX lease early (that was a different tranny, the 7-speed DCT). I have been approaching this by using the paddle shifters when entering a turn.

When I had my oil change a few weeks ago, the service writer mentioned it to me as I hadn't complained to the dealer staff about it yet. Apparently, they hear this a lot, maybe even daily, from TLX owners. I mentioned my fix of driving only in Sport or Sport+, and using the paddle shifters. Also when it happens, I've tried lifting off the accelerator completely, then pressing the gas again. That seems to work, too, but using the paddle shifters is the most consistent help for this problem. Clearly, the tranny issues are not resolved for the TLX. This is the second Acura product I've had to think every time I want to shift with an automatic.

Gimme a manual, manuals don't do this.
The following 2 users liked this post by neuronbob:
JM2010 SH-AWD (04-01-2018), TacoBello (03-19-2018)
Old 03-05-2018, 09:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
Yep, my '12 SH-AWD did the exact same thing. Acura simply doesn't know how to program a transmission. Only with right turns, and only when not completely stopped - if accelerating from around 5-10mph the car acts like it doesn't know what to do. My A-spec behaves the same way. I've never driven a FWD TL or TLX so can't comment if the problem is specific to SH-AWD, but I can say my 2010 MDX SH-AWD did not suffer from the problem, nor did our '16 AWD RDX. I'd pay real money for a 3rd party to fix this shit
Old 03-05-2018, 04:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts

I know exactly what you are describing. It's very common with auto transmissions with 6 gears or more. It's called downshift hesitation - basically the computer is confused and doesn't know what to do. Something we'll have to get used to with auto trans. Infiniti's 7 speed auto does it (it was very bad when it first came out in 2009). Lexus's 8 speed auto does it. And you can bet Acura's 9 speed auto does it too.

In this regards, BMW 8 speed auto transmission is the best. I don't know how they do it but it's very responsive at all speed, most of the time.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hadokenuh
I know exactly what you are describing. It's very common with auto transmissions with 6 gears or more. It's called downshift hesitation - basically the computer is confused and doesn't know what to do. Something we'll have to get used to with auto trans. Infiniti's 7 speed auto does it (it was very bad when it first came out in 2009). Lexus's 8 speed auto does it. And you can bet Acura's 9 speed auto does it too.

In this regards, BMW 8 speed auto transmission is the best. I don't know how they do it but it's very responsive at all speed, most of the time.
Just as an update I have noticed less of the odd behavior after hitting over 5k on the odometer. It may be I am just mashing down on the pedal a little harder. Maybe some learning is taking place. Still a weak spot but seems somewhat better as of late or I just got used to things. Also maybe unrelated but the mpg has increased up to 25 overall the last 500 miles or so (v6 ShAwd Aspec). I don't drive much different so maybe there is a break-in on the trans. I know typically on my 07 Tl the mpg maxed out at about 8 to 10k miles from new.
The following 2 users liked this post by jhb31:
hadokenuh (03-09-2018), ogiewon (03-06-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 12:38 PM
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

In playing the video from Acura corporate re: to product quality, I am shocked the simple flow diagram as to how the FQR ( field quality report) is intended to work shows no feedback loop to the customer who either wrote the report initially or worked with their dealer to initiate the report. As a manufacturing operations executive who fought these same type of issues, ( albeit with consumer electronic devices) my experience showed without some clear mechanism to get back to the consumer with feedback as to either how the factory or design engineering will be getting back to them with an acknowledgement how action is being taken and what that action might look like, the incentive for the customer to provide the "field view" of quality issues will diminish over time will decline quickly over time and overall customer perception of quality will actually get worse. At the same time the Acura honcho mentions issues getting better may be masked by the fact folks are simply not sending in these FQR reports leading some folks to think things are getting better when in fact things may be actually getting worse. For a company that has been in the top 10% in the past for providing above average quality in their vehicles, this tape was disappointing to me as well as I'm sure to others in this forum!! My $.02 Demosan
Old 03-07-2018, 11:25 PM
Senior Moderator

So what's next? Do we sit around and gripe about this, or do we take it to Acura corporate? To ZF? I've been driving for nearly 30 years and in that time, I've never, ever had to adjust to a tranny's function like this. Does anyone know why this happens only with right turn? UGGGGGGGH. There has to be a third party who monitors this stuff and an offer support, since Acura (or ZF for that matter) isn't going to.

Save the manuals! Thankfully, the worst of the winter weather is about over and I will shortly be able to daily my 6MT CTS-V wagon again.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:11 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by neuronbob
I've been having this issue with my A-Spec lately. Only happens when turning to the right. Odd because it was this behavior (with error lights) that led to my turning in my RLX lease early (that was a different tranny, the 7-speed DCT). I have been approaching this by using the paddle shifters when entering a turn.

When I had my oil change a few weeks ago, the service writer mentioned it to me as I hadn't complained to the dealer staff about it yet. Apparently, they hear this a lot, maybe even daily, from TLX owners. I mentioned my fix of driving only in Sport or Sport+, and using the paddle shifters. Also when it happens, I've tried lifting off the accelerator completely, then pressing the gas again. That seems to work, too, but using the paddle shifters is the most consistent help for this problem. Clearly, the tranny issues are not resolved for the TLX. This is the second Acura product I've had to think every time I want to shift with an automatic.

Gimme a manual, manuals don't do this.
FYI, this was the same situation with my '15 FWD and others', as well. Come to a stop light. Accelerate on a right turn and the acceleration is sluuuuggish... almost a rubber-band effect as others have called it. I have noticed it much less now than when I first got the car, however.
Old 03-09-2018, 01:14 PM
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Has anyone tried taking a right hand turn under the same conditions with VSA turned off? I wonder if it has anything to do with the VSA interaction with the transmission.
You can turn it partially off with the button on by the drivers left knee.
Or you can turn it off completely by following the procedure in
video. It is for the ILX but the TLX procedure is the same.
The following users liked this post:
neuronbob (03-11-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 08:07 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
FYI, this was the same situation with my '15 FWD and others', as well. Come to a stop light. Accelerate on a right turn and the acceleration is sluuuuggish... almost a rubber-band effect as others have called it. I have noticed it much less now than when I first got the car, however.
I didn't have it at first. I just passed through 10k miles last week and I started noticing it just before that. I haven't taken it to the dealer based on the reports of others that dealers didn't know what to do for it...over three model years. Don't want to waste my time. My car is completely solid other than that. If I weren't leasing, I'd have to figure out a way to do a manual swap, this car begs for it!

Originally Posted by mikedub88
Has anyone tried taking a right hand turn under the same conditions with VSA turned off? I wonder if it has anything to do with the VSA interaction with the transmission. You can turn it partially off with the button on by the drivers left knee.
Or you can turn it off completely by following the procedure in this video. It is for the ILX but the TLX procedure is the same.
I'll try this when the snow goes away and the outside temps increase. I don't have anything to lose by giving it a shot.

Last edited by neuronbob; 03-11-2018 at 08:11 AM.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
I'll have to try that video and see what happens - I got so used to the behavior in my old TL I just started leaving the wheel straight when I first accelerate then turn to the right to avoid the sluggishness after the process has started instead of starting the turn with the wheel cocked to the right
Old 03-19-2018, 09:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts
Sorry to hear the disappointment of the 9spd, Glad I have the 8 Spd DCT, it’s a blast to drive!
Old 03-20-2018, 05:36 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's odd, I don't have the awd. But my 9 speed is vastly better than my 8 speed. I just had my 2015 8 speed replace and it's still way worse than my 9 speed. The 9 speed is the best transmission I've had in an Acura so far. I really wish they could've put that 9 speed in my tlx, or I might just have to make my mdx my main car and sell my TLX. I can barely feel the transmission in the 9 speed, it's almost like a Nissan dvt or whatever they call it.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:57 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by madtownguy
That's odd, I don't have the awd. But my 9 speed is vastly better than my 8 speed. I just had my 2015 8 speed replace and it's still way worse than my 9 speed. The 9 speed is the best transmission I've had in an Acura so far. I really wish they could've put that 9 speed in my tlx, or I might just have to make my mdx my main car and sell my TLX. I can barely feel the transmission in the 9 speed, it's almost like a Nissan dvt or whatever they call it.
Although some have complained about the 9-speed in the MDX, it and its mapping have fared better in the MDX than in the TLX. The TLX's issues have been bad enough in some cases where it seems several of the earlier transmissions have been or are being replaced. Even some of the ones not being replaced aren't exactly shifting "ok". The early 8-speeds in the TLX had their issues, too... not sure about the recent ones although I thought most of their problems were solved. But based upon what you say, who knows. It's like a crapshoot, sometimes.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts
My 2018 dct 8 spd is great and very quick shifting. Some of the complaints on earlier dct 8 spd transmissions were legit, but a lot of the complaints come from people who do not understand what a dct is or how it’s supposed to shift and perform. If you don’t want excitement or thrill, buy a Buick or an earlier TLX v6 with the numb 9 speed.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:14 AM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
From an article about the new Cadillac CT6 V-Sport:

Both variants will come bolted to a 10-speed automatic transmission and feature all-wheel drive to ensure every pound-foot of leverage gets a purchase. The transmission will include the very latest Performance Algorithm Shift programming to ensure it’s always in the right gear, even when you lift for a turn.

See:
2019 Cadillac CT6 V-Sport Twin Turbo V-8 First Look: Northstar 2.0 - Motor Trend

Sounds like they are trying to fix the same issue.
The following users liked this post:
Rocketsfan (03-21-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 06:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Has anyone here tried the aftermarket Spring Booster V3 to get faster transmission response? I had read a while back on some other forums that they were looking for a group buy to get a discounted rate on it. Any members here have any experience with it in the TLX 9spd running in sport not sport+ mode ? I have read more good than not but am more interested in only TLX use and not so much with other makes of vehicles .
Old 12-01-2019, 07:23 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@Rocketsfan

Trans fluid is as said a fluid so turning redistributes the fluid to one side of the trans or the other. This should not matter but obviously it seems to with this aftermarket trans, not saying this is the issue but g forces will redistribute the fluid and cause a high and low pressure zone