16' TLX VTC Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 11:47 PM
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
16' TLX VTC Rattle

For the first time since i've leased my 16' 2.4 TLX, the temps have dropped below 45 degrees (5,000 trouble free miles). Since then i've heard the exact noise 2 times, the noise that made me return my 14' TSX in early. Both times while starting my TLX after it had sat in 40 degree temps overnight. Ive recently had the oil changed out at the dealer and replaces with full synthetic. Oil level is a hair below the full line while engine is cold. Any opinions? If this is a good representation of Honda's "best and newest of" im going to have to jump ship.This is coming from a LOYAL Honda owner (6 cars/suvs).
Old 11-01-2016, 12:19 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by theredia92
For the first time since i've leased my 16' 2.4 TLX, the temps have dropped below 45 degrees (5,000 trouble free miles). Since then i've heard the exact noise 2 times, the noise that made me return my 14' TSX in early. Both times while starting my TLX after it had sat in 40 degree temps overnight. Ive recently had the oil changed out at the dealer and replaces with full synthetic. Oil level is a hair below the full line while engine is cold. Any opinions? If this is a good representation of Honda's "best and newest of" im going to have to jump ship.This is coming from a LOYAL Honda owner (6 cars/suvs).
Sorry, I have no idea what you are talking about.
Old 11-01-2016, 08:31 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Are you talking about the VTC actuator rattle upon start-up? I had this on my middles sons previous Accord SE and Honda replaced it under warranty. It's a pretty common issue on the Honda 4 cylinder engines. When you had the oil change done did you tell the dealer about the noise?
Old 11-01-2016, 04:01 PM
Instructor

Thumbs down

Yes the rattle noise on start up in cold weather . I had gotten the oil changed right before the weather got cold so I had not heard it before that. Its just very disappointing that this issue has been around since 2008 on the K24 motor. I was under the impression it was fixed on the DI versions that are in the CR V, Accord, ILX, and TLX, but I guess not. I played the whole "bring it back to the dealer, leave it over night, only to have them tell me they can not reproduce the complaint" game with my 14' TSX. I would like to hear from anyone coming from a Honda or Acura with the K24 motor that knows what I am talking about, and if they have the same noise during cold weather starts on their 2.4 TLX.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:01 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Yes the rattle noise on start up in cold weather . I had gotten the oil changed right before the weather got cold so I had not heard it before that. Its just very disappointing that this issue has been around since 2008 on the K24 motor. I was under the impression it was fixed on the DI versions that are in the CR V, Accord, ILX, and TLX, but I guess not. I played the whole "bring it back to the dealer, leave it over night, only to have them tell me they can not reproduce the complaint" game with my 14' TSX. I would like to hear from anyone coming from a Honda or Acura with the K24 motor that knows what I am talking about, and if they have the same noise during cold weather starts on their 2.4 TLX.
Yeah dealers can be frustrating at times. I had the same problem with Honda service when my son had the Accord. I left it with them several times and each time they said they couldn't "duplicate the problem".. BTW my noise happened when it was cold outside and when it was warm.

So I began recording every start up because I knew it would happen again. Went back to the dealer and showed them video of 5 separate times that the car made the noise. I was expecting an argument but to my surprise my SA told me they would fix it. And then he told me "yeah it's a common issue".. I wish they would have acknowledged this the first time I went instead of wasting my time..
Old 11-02-2016, 08:24 PM
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts
Yes I know exactly what you are talking about. My 2009 Acura TSX had that noise at cold startup. They changed the VTC unit and it went away for about a 10000 miles then it came back. My wife's 2014 Honda Accord did it too at about 10000 miles just no where near as bad. On my 2015 TLX 2.4l does it too, just a little bit, that started at about 2000 miles and has not gotten any worse, but I do hear at from time to time when its cold. I have just have came to the conclusion that they all do it on all K24's after 2008. It does not do it that bad, so I can live with it. I treat it like the BMW VANOS noise, except over time it wont catastrophically fail.

Last edited by alpha2beta; 11-02-2016 at 08:31 PM.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:56 PM
mk5
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 50 Posts
I have a 2015 w/ Tech and the VTC Actuator is just in the early rattle stages. Just brought it to the attention of my dealer, where I'm sure it will get fixed under warranty.

I really thought this would be a non-issue after having the same issue with my 2008 Accord. Honda fixed it under warranty the first time and then, after the warranty was up, told me the fix was around $500. I gave up the car for the TLX. Not happy.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:29 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mk5
I have a 2015 w/ Tech and the VTC Actuator is just in the early rattle stages. Just brought it to the attention of my dealer, where I'm sure it will get fixed under warranty.

I really thought this would be a non-issue after having the same issue with my 2008 Accord. Honda fixed it under warranty the first time and then, after the warranty was up, told me the fix was around $500. I gave up the car for the TLX. Not happy.
After just over a year that I wrote this thread, I have to say my TLX doesn't rattle nearly as often nor as badly as my TSX did (TSX used a similar engine to your 08 Accord). On the off chance it does make a noise, it doesn't bother me. Once I understood how the VTC actuator works, I understood why cold temperatures would make the VTC actuator rattle on cold starts.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:32 AM
mk5
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 50 Posts
Brief update. Cold weather has caused some minor artifact noise on startup so I took my TLX in for service. Turns out it's the timing chain tensioner, not the VTC actuator. Getting
warranty replacement (48.8k - just made it ha).

Just a heads up if anyone is having the same issue.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:39 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got 2018 TLX SH-AWD 3 weeks ago, 340 miles, after couple of days a rattling sound, similar to chattering of teeth when shivering coming from middle of steering wheel, it stops by placing a hand on the horn or in the crevice surrounding the horn between it and the rest of the steering wheel, worst when driving at highway speeds or on roads which are not the smoothest, I can feel significant vibrations in the crack surrounding the horn and feels like the horn is loose and banging against the surrounding steering wheel causing the rattling. Otherwise drives great but the rattling/vibrating sound is driving me crazy
Any thoughts anyone?
Taking it to the dealership this week.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:01 PM
3rd Gear

Start up grinding noise

I also have a 2015 2.4 tlx 30000 miles and started having grinding nois on mine only does it when it sits overnight, not sure if temp. Makes a difference, going to take to dealer and will report on outcome.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:16 AM
9th Gear

Reporting outcome

Issue resolved, took to dealer, they removed the steering wheel and found a cable rubbing against the airbag causing the vibrating rattling sound when driving on rough roads, they rerouted the cable so not contacting the airbag, sound gone, hopefully won't recur.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:42 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
OP, i can fully relate.

owned a 2010 TSX certified pre owned from acura and had the VTC problem. i had acura change the VTC 6 times (yes, 6 vtc's), along with the chain, tensioner, guides, and anything else related. the VTC is a part that's not made by honda but outsourced, and they don't have a fix for it, so they just keep replacing them; when that fails, they swap the head but they didn't want too on the TSX so it turned into a long/big fight. long story short i decided to get out of the tsx and into the TLX and so far into my third year of driving it so far so good, except this winter. on two occasions in our long canadian winters i started the car and i thought i heard the VTC rattle; granted i had about 15% left on my oil change and i normally change it out at 20% at the lowest but have been pressed for time. i thought i heard a slight VTC rattle twice in very cold temps and at 15%, and it's possible that its happened alot more since i auto start the car almost every time in the winter. my girlfriend's 2010 accord with the same K sounds like a tractor on cold startup too.

at the end of the day i leased my car so i don't really give a shit lol
Old 10-15-2018, 10:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 390 Likes on 236 Posts
Strange in that my 1999 Honda CR-V owner's manual stated that a full synthetic was OK to use.
Old 03-22-2021, 07:32 PM
4th Gear

I know this thread is pretty old, but just ran across it. I am new to the Acura/Honda scene; I recently bought a 2018 Acura TLX 2.4L currently has just over 30,000mi. I have noticed lately a chattering noise coming from engine bay. To me it sounds like lifters tapping but fairly fast even at idle. Temperature doesn't matter. Hot or cold has same sound. Never having owned any foreign car I was thinking maybe its normal. After reading this I'm wondering if it is the vtec making the noise. Never having dealt with it in the past not really sure. Car still has about 9 months on warranty so I'm going to take in to be checked out.