Rattle Noise on Infotainment Monitor

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 11:03 PM
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Rattle Noise on Infotainment Monitor

has kept my car for 3 months and notices that there is a rattle noise out of the monitor when car runs on bumpy roads. Anyone has noticed the same issue here?
Old 09-07-2018, 11:22 AM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Yep.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:16 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Someone I hear a loud squeaking sound when I hit a bump. I will ask dealer to look into it on my next oil change.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:04 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
I've noticed a rattle from the upper rear when the car goes over bumps. I know its not the head restraint on the rear seat itself, but that is about where the noise is coming from.
Old 09-13-2018, 05:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Burger Steak & Eggs
...I know its not the head restraint on the rear seat itself, but that is about where the noise is coming from.
The biggest problem with noises in any vehicle, but especially vans, SUVs and CUVs, is they 'telegraph' - meaning they sound like they're coming from somewhere other than where they actually originate.

An example is I have/had a rattle in my RDX that sounded like it was coming from the passenger side dash vent. When I mentioned it to my wife she thought I was crazy because she was hearing it from somewhere behind my head near the seat belt height adjuster (in turn I thought she was crazy). After a bit a playing around I/we finally located the true source - it was a pair of spring loaded clip-on sunglasses in the overhead console, moved them and the rattle was gone. In other vehicles I've had rattles, once they were found, under the rear seat that sounded like they were coming from the top of the rear hatch.
The following users liked this post:
catbert430 (09-13-2018)
Old 09-13-2018, 02:18 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MI-RDX
The biggest problem with noises in any vehicle, but especially vans, SUVs and CUVs, is they 'telegraph' - meaning they sound like they're coming from somewhere other than where they actually originate.

An example is I have/had a rattle in my RDX that sounded like it was coming from the passenger side dash vent. When I mentioned it to my wife she thought I was crazy because she was hearing it from somewhere behind my head near the seat belt height adjuster (in turn I thought she was crazy). After a bit a playing around I/we finally located the true source - it was a pair of spring loaded clip-on sunglasses in the overhead console, moved them and the rattle was gone. In other vehicles I've had rattles, once they were found, under the rear seat that sounded like they were coming from the top of the rear hatch.
agree with your comments...i had same case before.
Old 09-28-2018, 09:49 AM
Intermediate

Sent my car to dealership for regular service as well as checking the rattle. Service manager confirmed that there was a rattle noise coming from the top of the screen frame. Rattle went away if putting pressure at the top. Service guy tried to put foam in between dash and screen but did not work. They asked me to pick up the car and reschedule another time so they can have more time working on it. Manager mentioned they may have to order a new screen but they want to check if the rattle is from screen itself or because of the way it sits on the dash.

I am very sensitive to rattle noise in cabin in general. It really annoys me. I will keep everyone updated.

If you have a similar experience. Please share.
The following 2 users liked this post by joe424242:
romer (10-13-2018), securityguy (09-28-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 04:18 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I just noticed this for the first time once the morning temperature dropped into the 40's this week. Pushing on the screen made it stop for the day. I heard some other light rattle sound from the dash area. I expect we'll see more of these once it turns cold as parts shrink.
Old 09-30-2018, 05:05 PM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by BrianC778
I just noticed this for the first time once the morning temperature dropped into the 40's this week. Pushing on the screen made it stop for the day. I heard some other light rattle sound from the dash area. I expect we'll see more of these once it turns cold as parts shrink.
Yup, temperature can loosen the fit of certain components. When my RDX got hot on sunny days this summer, all the plastic pieces on my steering wheel would loosen up and squeak while I drove. Incredibly annoying.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:04 PM
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone got any updates for this problem? I am receiving a rattle noise from the front cabin when going over any bumps. I checked and put some pressure on the monitor and, but that did not resolve the rattle noise.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by rdx87
...I am receiving a rattle noise from the front cabin when going over any bumps...
With all the wiring behind the dash, under the seats, through the roof, and in the doors (not to mention all the movable bits and pieces needed for air flow control) I'd be more surprised if there was not an occasional bit of in cabin noise when hitting a bump.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:14 PM
Intermediate

Here are some updates:
1. I recorded the rattle noise before I sent my car to the dealer and confirmed with them.
2. I was able to show in front of the service manager that my car had rattle noise when i knocked the dash with my fist. And they confirmed that the rattle disappeared when i put pressure on the monitor.
2.5. I knocked the dash of another ADV trim in their showroom, and found no rattle.
3. Technician put some padded material in between the monitor and the dash behind of the monitor to see if it would damp the rattle but it did not work.
4. Technician said the only way they could figure out was to take dash apart and took the monitor off to see if the rattle was from the monitor itself or from the dash.
5. I was very concerned about taking dash apart for the car i just have owned for 4 months. It would give me more issues including rattling after they put them back in whole. So i cancelled the second service.
6. After I got home, i inserted more soft material to fill up the clearance in between the dash and the monitor. and rattle still existed when i knock the dash.
7. Interestingly, i have not heard any rattles while driving since that, but still can hear when i knock the dash. Just want to clarify that the rattle sounds different during driving and by knocking it.
8. I am okay with that for now, but it is definitely something to do with how the monitor sits on the dash. Hope it helps.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:19 AM
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Joe for the information. I do not think the noise I am dealing with is coming from the infotainment monitor itself. The noise I am receiving, either going over bumps or uneven pavement, is a rattle noise near the driver side dash near the windshield. I'll ask the dealership during my next oil change.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:11 PM
Intermediate

might have been the A pillar or dash itself...from time to time i heard a slight tapping noise from there too...
Old 10-22-2018, 08:31 AM
Intermediate

quick updates:

the rattle noise has come back over the weekend. I am pretty positive now it is not exactly from the monitor. It is actually from the little plastic dash in front of the monitor where it sits. That's why the noise disappears when i press the monitor down.

I will seek for a solution myself if i could put some materials to damper the rattle.
Old 10-25-2018, 01:59 PM
Intermediate

quick updates:

i finally confirmed that the rattle was not from the monitor itself. It was actually from the center speaker cover behind the monitor which is the part of the dashboard. I believe something is rattling underneath the speaker cover. I filled some foam strip in the gap between speaker cover and the dash to stop the cover from touching dash when the car goes on bumpy road. It has been working so far and will see how it goes.

thanks,
Old 10-29-2018, 04:13 PM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I had a lot of rattles in my dash for weeks! It was driving me crazy. I finally figured out that it was the trim near the windshield that was creaking like crazy when going on uneven roads. So I put some foam between the trim and the windshield (not too much because the defrost vents are there and I don't want to block them) and now it is sooooo silent, I can't believe how much creaking was coming from only this place. Here's 2 pictures of what I did (it is not very visible but I put a flash for one the photo to see it....)

With the flash to see the foam
The following users liked this post:
oz13ms (11-01-2018)
Old 10-31-2018, 12:41 AM
Intermediate

i do have the same issue here too. I put some foam to press the trim down

Originally Posted by Marty790
I had a lot of rattles in my dash for weeks! It was driving me crazy. I finally figured out that it was the trim near the windshield that was creaking like crazy when going on uneven roads. So I put some foam between the trim and the windshield (not too much because the defrost vents are there and I don't want to block them) and now it is sooooo silent, I can't believe how much creaking was coming from only this place. Here's 2 pictures of what I did (it is not very visible but I put a flash for one the photo to see it....)

With the flash to see the foam