Sub/amps, custom fabrication finished

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 12:56 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Sub/amps, custom fabrication finished

For those that may have seen my thread posted several months ago with some of these pics bear with me. I finally found time to finish everything and just wanted to show the finished product.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:10 AM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Looking super nice. Hope you can help out. I'm stuck with wiring subwoofer. My subwoofer is weak. The boom is weak.

My current wiring for aftermarket subwoofer is picture "wiring #1 sub.jpg"? I didn't use the post wire that run to the OEM subwoofer in the rear deck. Is that why my aftermarket is weak? Or, I should be wiring like picture "wiring #2 sub.jpg" and using harness metra 72-7800 so I don't need to cut OEM subwoofer in the rear deck?

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails Sub/amps, custom fabrication finished-wiring-1-sub.jpg   Sub/amps, custom fabrication finished-wiring-2-sub.jpg  
Old 09-12-2017, 12:22 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by know610
Looking super nice. Hope you can help out. I'm stuck with wiring subwoofer. My subwoofer is weak. The boom is weak.

My current wiring for aftermarket subwoofer is picture "wiring #1 sub.jpg"? I didn't use the post wire that run to the OEM subwoofer in the rear deck. Is that why my aftermarket is weak? Or, I should be wiring like picture "wiring #2 sub.jpg" and using harness metra 72-7800 so I don't need to cut OEM subwoofer in the rear deck?

Thank you.
from the looks of your diagrams the two are the same thing. The only difference is in pic#2 it appears you are connecting the aftermarket amp to the factory wiring and then connecting your aftermarket sub to the other end in the trunk. That doesn't really make sense as to why one would do that? The "post wires" as they are labeled just run from factory amp out to factory sub. So I take it your grabbing the input signal for your fix86 BEFORE the factory amp? If so thats probably the problem there. I know theres been endless debate about this on this site but its best just to grab the signal after it comes out of the factory amp like it shows in your diagrams. The input signal is full range thus your not getting enough bass into your fix86. It can't output bass if it doesnt have the correct incoming signal. Hope that helps some...
Old 09-12-2017, 12:42 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Super sweet setup, man!
L7's are the shit!
Old 09-12-2017, 12:47 PM
Racer

Sorry to hi-jack you super nice setup/.
Hope I understand what you mean. All wire I ran are post-wired which are the 18pin harness. The Pre-amp is a separate harness that has 24pin. Pre-amp harness not have subwoofer wire.

At Pic #1, the harness I use is a Post-Amp. The post wire subwoofer are red and white. I cut that wire. That cutted wire become 4 wires, right? The wire that stuck to the harness was connected to Fix86. The wire that I drew saying "not use" was just taped out. This mean that the OEM subwoofer was unplugged and not use. A new wire just run from JL subwoofer straight to aftermarket Amp. With this set up, my subwoofer was weak.

I was wondering, maybe, I need to do like picture #2? The post wire that label as "not use" should go to the aftermarket amp. And the JL subwoofer would wired to harness in the rear deck.

For example, like front/rear speaker: the amp speaker wire would tapped to the other end of the cutted post wire? right?

Hope you understand.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:07 PM
Racer

What I meant on picture # 2
Attached Thumbnails Sub/amps, custom fabrication finished-01.jpg  

Last edited by know610; 09-12-2017 at 01:13 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:15 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by know610
What I meant on picture # 2
what I mean is the red/white subwoofer wires on the post amp 18 pin harness and the plug at the factory subwoofer are the SAME wires. If you connected your amp to the wires at the factory amp amd then used the metra harness to connect to your sub, it would literally be exactly the same except you would be using the factory speaker wire instead of your own. That Metra harness is simply a speaker adapter. That isn't going to fix your issue. I'm not sure otherwise why you have weak output. Are your input wires to the fix86 out of phase?
Old 09-12-2017, 08:17 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by justnspace
Super sweet setup, man!
L7's are the shit!
thanks. I like the Kicker stuff I went with even if its not super high end. The company I work for offers a rediculous employee price for kicker products so I never considered anything else.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:22 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by marxw13
what I mean is the red/white subwoofer wires on the post amp 18 pin harness and the plug at the factory subwoofer are the SAME wires. If you connected your amp to the wires at the factory amp amd then used the metra harness to connect to your sub, it would literally be exactly the same except you would be using the factory speaker wire instead of your own. That Metra harness is simply a speaker adapter. That isn't going to fix your issue. I'm not sure otherwise why you have weak output. Are your input wires to the fix86 out of phase?
What do you mean by "input wires to the fix86 out of phase"? The red (+) /white (-) wire that stuck to the harness. I split 2 wires each. One red wire, I combined to 2 new wires and one white wire I combined to 2 new wires. That 4 new wire plugged to input 7/8 of Fix86. This is how it look on input 7/8, the + wire go to L+ R+ and the - wire go to L- R-. Also, on fix86 there's a subwoofer output RCA. That output RCA run to aftermaket amp input RCA for Subwoofer.

unless on the aftermarket wire is mix up between - and. + of the jl sub. Meaning the wire from the jl sub to aftermarket amp is opposite from what I wired from pin18?

on fix82, it has loud boom on jl sub. The reason I swap to fix86 was shop mess up wiring so I decide to do myself after consulting with jl support

Last edited by know610; 09-12-2017 at 09:32 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:55 PM
Instructor

I just meant make sure your positive and negative wires aren't backwards. But if red is your postive and white is negative you should be good.
The following users liked this post:
01LSi (09-14-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 06:05 AM
Racer

You're right. I mix up the wire at the fix86 input. Now that I reverse the wire l, I can hear boom