Navtool 5.0 - Does it actually work with control knob? - Page 5 - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Notices

Navtool 5.0 - Does it actually work with control knob?

 
Old 01-23-2019, 03:08 PM
  #161  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 267
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by swedrows View Post
Sorry I'll have to wait to get home and try my wife's Samsung Galaxy S9 phone to see if Android 9 works since my work buddy was not at work today. As for my extended test of Android Auto on navtool, everything I tested was working for my full 50 minute drive to work...no disconnects, no music skipping, nothing. I am not sure how the text message preview works or phone calls, i am assuming i have to have my phone connected through bluetooth. Has anyone used those features while using navtool? I am assuming i need to connect through bluetooth to use those or do they work with just the phone connected to the usb port to navtool? I'll have to try to send myself a text from my work phone to personal phone when i am in the car on my drive home and see i guess. Anyway, that's all I have for now. I'll update tonight on Android 9 with my wife's phone.
for iPhone, once connected to Navtool CarPlay text and phone call work. However, Navtool recommended to unpair Bluetooth both phone and car. For me, I didnít unpair. CarPlay text and call works.

Myself and other people noticed Navtool interface is lagging or delay when scrolling from icon to icon while on phone. Not sure about new navtool firmware .
know610 is offline  
Old 01-23-2019, 07:53 PM
  #162  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 267
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Latest navtool firmware bug with my tlx on factory backup camera not showing when out on reverse.

The first time i plug navtool, backup camera work. After I shutoff the car and then later start the car, factory backup no longer working. I contacted with navtool as we type now.

Navtool asked me to reinstall firmware again and I did. Same issue as mention above.

now I flashed the old firmware and everything works. Good thing they havenít removed old firmware 6092.
know610 is offline  
Old 01-23-2019, 09:27 PM
  #163  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 267
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Per navtool chat, v9632 is a beta test
know610 is offline  
Old 01-23-2019, 10:24 PM
  #164  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Greater Chicago Area, IL
Age: 41
Posts: 150
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by know610 View Post
Per navtool chat, v9632 is a beta test
For me everything is working the way it should be on Firmware 9632 with my Android 8.0 Phone. I just tried it with my wife's Samsung S9 phone running Android 9.0 and Android Auto also works on her phone so not sure what the issue could be on your end. Did you try changing some of the setting during the software install that ask how the factory camera is activated? i think the options are manual, automatic and by user (or something like that). it might be worth a shot to try changing those settings one at a time and testing it. At this point I am not going to touch any settings on my navtool unit even if there are more firmware updates because mine is working so i need to leave it alone. hopefully you can get yours to work because it's been a long process for both of us, so with mine working buttery smooth now, it should give everyone hope that it should work with most people, or at the very least that the guys are navtool are finally super close to getting the navtool firmware out of beta testing with us lol
swedrows is offline  
Old 01-23-2019, 10:30 PM
  #165  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 267
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
I downgraded to v6092. Everything worked. Iím not going update to 9632.
know610 is offline  
Old 01-23-2019, 10:40 PM
  #166  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Greater Chicago Area, IL
Age: 41
Posts: 150
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by know610 View Post
I downgraded to v6092. Everything worked. Iím not going update to 9632.
i wonder if it has to do with the specific unit that you have compared to mine, because i think we determined that we both have different units that they sent us. The updated firmware might have been written specifically for my navtool unit (and all of them that are exactly like mine) so that may explain why it is buggy on yours, although all the units should have "mostly" identical hardware. well glad yours works again with the earlier firmware. like i said, i am leaving mine alone and am not going to do any more updating to it if they release newer firmware or software. mine is finally working the way it should so i need to leave it alone otherwise i may regret it lol
swedrows is offline  
Old 01-25-2019, 08:03 AM
  #167  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 267
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by swedrows View Post
i wonder if it has to do with the specific unit that you have compared to mine, because i think we determined that we both have different units that they sent us. The updated firmware might have been written specifically for my navtool unit (and all of them that are exactly like mine) so that may explain why it is buggy on yours, although all the units should have "mostly" identical hardware. well glad yours works again with the earlier firmware. like i said, i am leaving mine alone and am not going to do any more updating to it if they release newer firmware or software. mine is finally working the way it should so i need to leave it alone otherwise i may regret it lol
Are you planning to add usb extender flash mount like this?



know610 is offline  
Old 01-25-2019, 09:53 AM
  #168  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Greater Chicago Area, IL
Age: 41
Posts: 150
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
This is the before picture
This is the After picture
swedrows is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to swedrows For This Useful Post:
know610 (01-25-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 11:35 AM
  #169  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 267
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
What's your next project w/the car lol? For now, I think I'm done or maybe add Rooftop Spoiler idk yet..

So your Navtool still hanging as what you shown last time or you extended wire? I extended (solder) and now it sit perfectly on the floor under gear shift. I will take picture and posted later. I'm thinking of laying a thin plastic on top of the carpet and place Navtool on it just to avoid any stat b/t carpet and navtool.

I place navtool flat vertical. Power cable and digital cable pointed to driver side and hdmi port, usb port, mirco port point toward passenger side.

I'm getting this on/off switch for my ATV cuz it seem like Navtool caused a power cutoff every time I press Park. Just odd, it never happened to NavIk on my ATV. I can use rocket killer switch but I hate re-run the wire. The below switch is easy since just a plug to my existence connector that I already had in my ATV.

know610 is offline  
Old 01-25-2019, 02:38 PM
  #170  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 267
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
I think I have an idea why Navik did not cause ATV to become white screen noise. Maybe because I used HDMI switch box, I read a few forums and some said it's because of HDMI cable and switching to a better cable works for them. Other said that don't work but using a hdmi switch box work.

So, I think Navik did not caused that issue like NavTool because at that time I was using a HDMI Switch Box. Let see if this theory work again This switch box I had. That time I was using ATV and FireTV Stick.


know610 is offline  
Old 01-25-2019, 04:01 PM
  #171  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Greater Chicago Area, IL
Age: 41
Posts: 150
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by know610 View Post
What's your next project w/the car lol? For now, I think I'm done or maybe add Rooftop Spoiler idk yet..

So your Navtool still hanging as what you shown last time or you extended wire? I extended (solder) and now it sit perfectly on the floor under gear shift. I will take picture and posted later. I'm thinking of laying a thin plastic on top of the carpet and place Navtool on it just to avoid any stat b/t carpet and navtool.

I place navtool flat vertical. Power cable and digital cable pointed to driver side and hdmi port, usb port, mirco port point toward passenger side.

I'm getting this on/off switch for my ATV cuz it seem like Navtool caused a power cutoff every time I press Park. Just odd, it never happened to NavIk on my ATV. I can use rocket killer switch but I hate re-run the wire. The below switch is easy since just a plug to my existence connector that I already had in my ATV.

my next project will probably to add the aspec style spoiler, although i am debating whether to do black, carbon fiber, or paint it the same color as my car (graphite metallic). I'll do that in the spring when the weather warms up because it is too damn cold right now in Chicago lol
swedrows is offline  
Old 01-29-2019, 09:02 AM
  #172  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 267
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
I extended NavTool wires by soldering using 18 gauge. There's a few other soldered wires, that's because as I pulled down the wire, NavTool mic 2 thin wires got cut off so I had to solder those too. Everything work for me on old firmware 6092. Siri work too . Asked siri to skip song, call, or even read text. I asked siri to reply but the dam*n thing never understand me, lol...


Last edited by know610; 01-29-2019 at 09:05 AM.
know610 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to know610 For This Useful Post:
teelx2015 (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 03:44 PM
  #173  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Age: 41
Posts: 349
Thanked 44 Times in 27 Posts
Has anyone noticed when they connect using navtool carplay or screen mirroring Their phone charges ULTRA slow if AT ALL.
How can I remedy this?
mrphilipanderson is offline  
Old 01-30-2019, 08:23 AM
  #174  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 267
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by mrphilipanderson View Post
Has anyone noticed when they connect using navtool carplay or screen mirroring Their phone charges ULTRA slow if AT ALL.
How can I remedy this?
sorry, did mot take notice of the charging. Too happy to see that since now NavTool works great....
know610 is offline  
Old 01-30-2019, 01:36 PM
  #175  
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Age: 43
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Folks - first this string is great - thank you for the information, very helpful. I have a couple of questions as I am a complete noob when it comes to stuff like this. I have a 2016 TLX that I bought 25 months ago with 85k miles on it - as I am a road warrior. Asking these question below as I have found conflicting info on different forums.
1. I am on the road a lot and use the lightning port on my iPhone 8 for my headphones as I take long work calls and charge wirelessly. Once I put NavTool in, I'll have to use that port on my phone for the carplay and only use Bluetooth headphones to take and make phone calls. Correct? I do not use the car native microphone for work phone calls, there is just too much background noise and such.
2. If I want to use my native TLX microphone, can I use it to make calls through carplay? Or do I need to use the NavTool microphone to make calls via carplay?
3. Does the native TLX back up camera work without any additional wiring?
4. Using the carplay to use google maps, can I use the native TLX radio and have the radio play through the speakers at the same time google maps/carplay is displayed?

Again - really appreciate the information everyone has provided and any feedback would be helpful. I'm surprised no one has put together a Youtube video on this yet. There aren't any good videos on youtube reviewing how to pull apart the radio/command console.
dbarn03 is offline  
Old 01-30-2019, 03:24 PM
  #176  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 267
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by dbarn03 View Post
Folks - first this string is great - thank you for the information, very helpful. I have a couple of questions as I am a complete noob when it comes to stuff like this. I have a 2016 TLX that I bought 25 months ago with 85k miles on it - as I am a road warrior. Asking these question below as I have found conflicting info on different forums.
1. I am on the road a lot and use the lightning port on my iPhone 8 for my headphones as I take long work calls and charge wirelessly. Once I put NavTool in, I'll have to use that port on my phone for the carplay and only use Bluetooth headphones to take and make phone calls. Correct? I do not use the car native microphone for work phone calls, there is just too much background noise and such.
2. If I want to use my native TLX microphone, can I use it to make calls through carplay? Or do I need to use the NavTool microphone to make calls via carplay?
3. Does the native TLX back up camera work without any additional wiring?
4. Using the carplay to use google maps, can I use the native TLX radio and have the radio play through the speakers at the same time google maps/carplay is displayed?

Again - really appreciate the information everyone has provided and any feedback would be helpful. I'm surprised no one has put together a Youtube video on this yet. There aren't any good videos on youtube reviewing how to pull apart the radio/command console.
1. U need lighting port for NavTool and use Bluetooth headphone instead
2. For NavTool CarPlay, you need NavTool mic
3. No wiring or anything. TLX OEM backup camera still work, MDX ppl said their not working.
4. No. CarPlay audio goes through AUX. If you change source to say FM, No sound from CarPlay.


I did a quick video. sorry for the music.


hope this help.
know610 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to know610 For This Useful Post:
teelx2015 (01-30-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 05:18 PM
  #177  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 267
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
It just didn't look right esp lightning cable sticking out from the front console so I decide to make a small hole from this removable piece. I drew a red square where to cut it. I'm not sure why Acura made that piece for or what it is use for, The lightning cable run inside "below" the shift gear and under the side panel.





know610 is offline  
Old 02-16-2019, 10:16 AM
  #178  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Age: 26
Posts: 11
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by swedrows View Post
For me everything is working the way it should be on Firmware 9632 with my Android 8.0 Phone. I just tried it with my wife's Samsung S9 phone running Android 9.0 and Android Auto also works on her phone so not sure what the issue could be on your end. Did you try changing some of the setting during the software install that ask how the factory camera is activated? i think the options are manual, automatic and by user (or something like that). it might be worth a shot to try changing those settings one at a time and testing it. At this point I am not going to touch any settings on my navtool unit even if there are more firmware updates because mine is working so i need to leave it alone. hopefully you can get yours to work because it's been a long process for both of us, so with mine working buttery smooth now, it should give everyone hope that it should work with most people, or at the very least that the guys are navtool are finally super close to getting the navtool firmware out of beta testing with us lol
​​​​swedrows I am planning to pull the trigger again (Despite my bad experience in Dec 2018) on buying Navtool with asking them to upgrade my Navtool to the beta firmware you are using before shipping it to me, and for me to make a proper decision please let me know your experience with the following questions,
  1. Can you please confirm if Navtool with the beta firmware you have is working with One UI update for SAMSUNG S9?
  2. Did you experience any issues with backup camera displaying as soon as you put your car in Reverse?
  3. How is it working in cold weather?
Thank you.
Ram93 is offline  
Old 02-20-2019, 10:21 AM
  #179  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Age: 41
Posts: 349
Thanked 44 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by know610 View Post


Kewl I will get 24 gauge wire to extend so it reach car floor.

I have iPhone XS Max and iOS 12.1, I usually got disconnected from NavTool CarPlay. They said itís an Apple bug and pointed me to Apple forum. Not sure if you experience that too?

Thanks for your reply.
Did you ever get it worked out? I was having the same issue with carplay. I sent mine is requesting it be updated to the latest navtool software and I it took them FOREVER> Just received it today. Im scared to plug it in, cause I will be so disappointed if its the same issues. We shall see.
mrphilipanderson is offline  
Old 02-20-2019, 10:23 AM
  #180  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Age: 41
Posts: 349
Thanked 44 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by know610 View Post
Ok just tested with some show no sound on Netflix AppleTv. When changing audio to Stereo, sound work. Happy camper now lol

yes CarPlay and itís feature are kewl with this NavTool.
Wait, what? When changing audio to stereo? please explain.
mrphilipanderson is offline  
Old 02-20-2019, 10:36 AM
  #181  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Age: 41
Posts: 349
Thanked 44 Times in 27 Posts
I just received my UPDATED TO 5.0 Navtool unit back from Navtool. The issues I was having with mine prior to seding was:
• Carplay constantly disconnect
• Carplay Constantly froze
• No sound with netflix
• Phone calls would freeze
• Screen would black out
• When I put car in reverse the guidelines scrolled across the screen

I though it wads because I had it mounted over the Glove box and perhaps it got too hot there?
I drive a 2012-2014 TL, and no one on that section has navtool...this was the only thread Ive found. But our cars are VERY similar.

Has ANYONE had these issues? What it fixed with the update?
mrphilipanderson is offline  
Old 02-20-2019, 10:58 AM
  #182  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 267
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
If you connect AppleTV to NavTool, On the AppleTV screen, go to Setting, go to Audio & Video, go to Surround Sound, and change from Dolby Digital 5.1 to Stereo
I returned mine and they updated software to 5.0. They said when they mail me the unit, they forgot to update from 4.xx to 5.0. Once I receive the unit back, I flashed these firmware from Updater app. The firmware version work for me was 6092.

As of today, everything you listed below are working correctly after they updated to 5.0.

Oh if you intent to extend cable, I used 18g wire.

Originally Posted by mrphilipanderson View Post
I just received my UPDATED TO 5.0 Navtool unit back from Navtool. The issues I was having with mine prior to seding was:
ē Carplay constantly disconnect
ē Carplay Constantly froze
ē No sound with netflix
ē Phone calls would freeze
ē Screen would black out
ē When I put car in reverse the guidelines scrolled across the screen

I though it wads because I had it mounted over the Glove box and perhaps it got too hot there?
I drive a 2012-2014 TL, and no one on that section has navtool...this was the only thread Ive found. But our cars are VERY similar.

Has ANYONE had these issues? What it fixed with the update?
know610 is offline  
Old 02-20-2019, 11:18 AM
  #183  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Age: 41
Posts: 349
Thanked 44 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by know610 View Post
If you connect AppleTV to NavTool, On the AppleTV screen, go to Setting, go to Audio & Video, go to Surround Sound, and change from Dolby Digital 5.1 to Stereo
I returned mine and they updated software to 5.0. They said when they mail me the unit, they forgot to update from 4.xx to 5.0. Once I receive the unit back, I flashed these firmware from Updater app. The firmware version work for me was 6092.

As of today, everything you listed below are working correctly after they updated to 5.0.

Oh if you intent to extend cable, I used 18g wire.

Attached is ascreenshot of my current firmware supposedly afyter they updated to most recent. I dont know where to look but can you tell me what version this is? I dont see 5.0 ANYWHERE???
mrphilipanderson is offline  
Old 02-20-2019, 11:24 AM
  #184  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 267
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Nowhere we can truly know if itís 5.0 or whatever.. we have to go by what they tell us.. if they say itís a cat we have to believe itís a cat lol...

the 9842 is your TL firmware.. TLX is 6092.


Originally Posted by mrphilipanderson View Post

Attached is ascreenshot of my current firmware supposedly afyter they updated to most recent. I dont know where to look but can you tell me what version this is? I dont see 5.0 ANYWHERE???
know610 is offline  
Old 02-20-2019, 11:49 AM
  #185  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Age: 41
Posts: 349
Thanked 44 Times in 27 Posts
I do see a difference. Here is a screenshot AFTER the update for make/model.

Now I have to extend the wires, and proceed with the install..

Does Navtool charge your phone while you use the screen mirroring or car-play?



Last edited by mrphilipanderson; 02-20-2019 at 11:51 AM.
mrphilipanderson is offline  
Old 02-20-2019, 12:24 PM
  #186  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 267
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
The screenshot info info does not mean anything if the unit is 5.0 or not. This is what NavTool chat told me.

Yes NavTool will charge your phone while connecting it.

becareful with mic cable. Itís very tiny and easy cut off. It happened to me and I had to soldier with 18g wire.

Bascailly u only need to extend 2 wires to reach car floor level inside under shift gear.

Originally Posted by mrphilipanderson View Post
I do see a difference. Here is a screenshot AFTER the update for make/model.

Now I have to extend the wires, and proceed with the install..

Does Navtool charge your phone while you use the screen mirroring or car-play?

know610 is offline  
Old 02-20-2019, 01:55 PM
  #187  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Age: 41
Posts: 349
Thanked 44 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by know610 View Post
The screenshot info info does not mean anything if the unit is 5.0 or not. This is what NavTool chat told me.

Yes NavTool will charge your phone while connecting it.

becareful with mic cable. It’s very tiny and easy cut off. It happened to me and I had to soldier with 18g wire.

Bascailly u only need to extend 2 wires to reach car floor level inside under shift gear.



ah the harnesses are different for my TL...I have to extend 12 wire. 2 wires on the 32 pin harness and 10 wires on the 16 pin harness. I wonder why they made them so short.
There is like ZERO space behind the 4g TL head unit. It packed full because the engine is so damned big.

Last edited by mrphilipanderson; 02-20-2019 at 01:59 PM. Reason: more info
mrphilipanderson is offline  
Old 02-20-2019, 02:06 PM
  #188  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 267
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts

The 2 wires that I drew a red line.


Oh.. wow thatís a lot of wires to do..

TLX, I just extend the 2 wire instead of doing the wire that I tie.
know610 is offline  
Old Yesterday, 03:16 PM
  #189  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Age: 41
Posts: 349
Thanked 44 Times in 27 Posts
For those of you who Navtools re fucntioning proiperly after update, what do you see when you go in reverse? Any scrolling lines for a split second? Or is it immediately you see the factory guide lines on the rear back up camera?
mrphilipanderson is offline  
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
sinistah89
5G TLX Photograph Gallery
12
07-02-2016 02:56 PM
mugenspire
Car Parts for Sale
9
08-24-2014 12:56 PM
heavyjdaman
Second Generation TL (1999-2003)
25
03-21-2008 02:25 AM
rkalbiar
Third Generation TL (2004-2008)
6
09-10-2004 06:58 PM
Frank92si
Second Generation TL (1999-2003)
12
04-16-2003 05:32 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Navtool 5.0 - Does it actually work with control knob?


Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.