Navtool 5.0 - Does it actually work with control knob? - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Notices

Navtool 5.0 - Does it actually work with control knob?

Old 11-01-2018, 09:57 PM
  #1  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Greater Chicago Area, IL
Age: 41
Posts: 133
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Navtool 5.0 - Does it actually work with control knob?

Hey guys I had a question. I am on the fence between a 2015 Acura TLX SH-AWD Advance and a 2017 Audi A4 Premium after my 2004 Acura TL transmission died with 243,000 miles (it had a good run). I want Android Auto, and it is standard on the Audi (just no touchscreen, everything is controlled through the infotainment knob) and wanted to know if the navtool setup allows you to use the steering wheel controls at all, or at least the talk button to summon google voice on the TLX, or if i'd be stuck shouting "ok google" to get my phone to respond instead of through the car audio system. I'm leaning towards the TLX due to ventilated seats and remote start, but i use google maps all the time, and rarely used my TL navigation. If i went with the Audio A4, i wouldn't have ventilated seats, but I can get remote start installed and android auto is standard (and gas mileage is better on A4 and the car is a bit quicker than the TLX). I saw there was a new video on youtube with Navtool 5.0 installed on an Acura MDX which showed Android Auto is now able to be controlled with the big circular dial/knob.....are previous versions controlled this way also? Sorry for the lengthy post, but I need to figure out if Navtools is worth the hassle. It looks like they may have updated it to work with the infotainment knob, and if so, then at least it's on par with how the Audi has it set up since the audi does nto have a touch screen and uses the infotainment knob to control Android Auto menus. Anyone try Navtool 5.0 yet? All I found was the youtube MDX video showing it in action, and so far i know know many people have had a good experience buying or getting support from Navtool. Thanks in advance for any help!
swedrows is offline  
Old 11-16-2018, 11:20 AM
  #2  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 208
Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by swedrows View Post
Hey guys I had a question. I am on the fence between a 2015 Acura TLX SH-AWD Advance and a 2017 Audi A4 Premium after my 2004 Acura TL transmission died with 243,000 miles (it had a good run). I want Android Auto, and it is standard on the Audi (just no touchscreen, everything is controlled through the infotainment knob) and wanted to know if the navtool setup allows you to use the steering wheel controls at all, or at least the talk button to summon google voice on the TLX, or if i'd be stuck shouting "ok google" to get my phone to respond instead of through the car audio system. I'm leaning towards the TLX due to ventilated seats and remote start, but i use google maps all the time, and rarely used my TL navigation. If i went with the Audio A4, i wouldn't have ventilated seats, but I can get remote start installed and android auto is standard (and gas mileage is better on A4 and the car is a bit quicker than the TLX). I saw there was a new video on youtube with Navtool 5.0 installed on an Acura MDX which showed Android Auto is now able to be controlled with the big circular dial/knob.....are previous versions controlled this way also? Sorry for the lengthy post, but I need to figure out if Navtools is worth the hassle. It looks like they may have updated it to work with the infotainment knob, and if so, then at least it's on par with how the Audi has it set up since the audi does nto have a touch screen and uses the infotainment knob to control Android Auto menus. Anyone try Navtool 5.0 yet? All I found was the youtube MDX video showing it in action, and so far i know know many people have had a good experience buying or getting support from Navtool. Thanks in advance for any help!
Do you mean NavTool 4.0? I don't see 5.0 in their site
know610 is offline  
Old 11-17-2018, 07:33 PM
  #3  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Greater Chicago Area, IL
Age: 41
Posts: 133
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
their site shows 4.0 for the tlx, but i saw on youtube video of them demonstrating 5.0 on an mdx so i messaged them on their website and they said 5.0 is available for the tlx....granted, i'm taking that with a grain of salt based on what i've read on this site from other members that had attempted the group buy a while back for 3.0 when it first came out. not sure i can trust the one or two guys that run navtool and claim they are a huge company....i'm thinking it's like 5 guys or something which would make sense why it takes so long for them to ship stuff out...maybe they make each one only after an order comes in
swedrows is offline  
Old 11-19-2018, 08:39 AM
  #4  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 208
Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by swedrows View Post
their site shows 4.0 for the tlx, but i saw on youtube video of them demonstrating 5.0 on an mdx so i messaged them on their website and they said 5.0 is available for the tlx....granted, i'm taking that with a grain of salt based on what i've read on this site from other members that had attempted the group buy a while back for 3.0 when it first came out. not sure i can trust the one or two guys that run navtool and claim they are a huge company....i'm thinking it's like 5 guys or something which would make sense why it takes so long for them to ship stuff out...maybe they make each one only after an order comes in
Yes I contacted them too and they said 5.0 just the site not updated. It's kewl how their YouTube demonstrate using the big knob. Seem like everything using the OEM button where as Navik provided their button w/3M that can attached to anywhere near you.

Probably like you said.. They probably only made once an order placed.
know610 is offline  
Old 11-19-2018, 09:46 AM
  #5  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 208
Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I ordered one for my wife Friday 16th evening and should arrived this Friday 23rd.
know610 is offline  
Old 11-21-2018, 11:55 PM
  #6  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Greater Chicago Area, IL
Age: 41
Posts: 133
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by know610 View Post
I ordered one for my wife Friday 16th evening and should arrived this Friday 23rd.
let me know if you get it.. I'd like confirmation that it is actually version 5.0
swedrows is offline  
Old 11-22-2018, 02:45 PM
  #7  
Registered Member
 
dezymond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,190
Thanked 190 Times in 140 Posts
Seriously considering this as an option again. Not comfortable installing myself, so just need to find some place to install for me.
dezymond is offline  
Old 11-23-2018, 04:44 PM
  #8  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Greater Chicago Area, IL
Age: 41
Posts: 133
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by know610 View Post
I ordered one for my wife Friday 16th evening and should arrived this Friday 23rd.
Did you get the navtool 5.0 yet for your acura? i may order today or monday if you can confirm you got it and that it's version 5.0 (maybe post a screenshot of your unit to confirm). thanks!
swedrows is offline  
Old 11-26-2018, 08:28 AM
  #9  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 208
Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by swedrows View Post
Did you get the navtool 5.0 yet for your acura? i may order today or monday if you can confirm you got it and that it's version 5.0 (maybe post a screenshot of your unit to confirm). thanks!
I'm not sure how to tell it's 5.0 or not cuz the hardware itself didn't label it. However, if they meant by firmware then yes. There's are two firmware - 5932 and 6012.. I tried both firmware and screen still black. I contacted NavTool they said new firmware will released sometime today 11/26/2018. Once I get everything running, I will do video.
know610 is offline  
Old 11-26-2018, 08:31 AM
  #10  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 208
Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by dezymond View Post
Seriously considering this as an option again. Not comfortable installing myself, so just need to find some place to install for me.
Installation was very easy. I never did myself either and this was the first DIY. I did for Navik in my TLX sometime this year. I use this guide.

https://acurazine.com/forums/5g-tlx-...nstall-947563/

Last edited by know610; 11-26-2018 at 08:35 AM.
know610 is offline  
Old 11-26-2018, 12:01 PM
  #11  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Greater Chicago Area, IL
Age: 41
Posts: 133
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by know610 View Post
Installation was very easy. I never did myself either and this was the first DIY. I did for Navik in my TLX sometime this year. I use this guide.

https://acurazine.com/forums/5g-tlx-...nstall-947563/
why did you decide to install navtool if you had naviks installed? does navik only do screen mirroring and not have apple carplay or android auto for it? did you remove naviks or are both installed?
swedrows is offline  
Old 11-26-2018, 12:22 PM
  #12  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 208
Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by swedrows View Post
why did you decide to install navtool if you had naviks installed? does navik only do screen mirroring and not have apple carplay or android auto for it? did you remove naviks or are both installed?
Navik is not carplay, just mirroring. Still is a good unit. I removed Navik and install NavTool. I might use Navik in my wife's car

Side note: The YouTube NavTool unit posted for TLX, was totally different from what II received,even the wiring (cable). On Youtube, the unit had microsd port, opt port, usb port, and hdmi port. The one I had do not have optical port. They said it's for different car.
The wiring, on youtube, they have this small connector but mine dont have it. It seem they update wire by soldering together (less plugging, i guess). There's no way to tell if it 5.0 or not. Just go by what they say. They said it's the interface that are different from previous version. 5.0 came out Jan 2018 per NavTool.

Last edited by know610; 11-26-2018 at 12:25 PM.
know610 is offline  
Old 11-26-2018, 12:40 PM
  #13  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Greater Chicago Area, IL
Age: 41
Posts: 133
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by know610 View Post
Navik is not carplay, just mirroring. Still is a good unit. I removed Navik and install NavTool. I might use Navik in my wife's car

Side note: The YouTube NavTool unit posted for TLX, was totally different from what II received,even the wiring (cable). On Youtube, the unit had microsd port, opt port, usb port, and hdmi port. The one I had do not have optical port. They said it's for different car.
The wiring, on youtube, they have this small connector but mine dont have it. It seem they update wire by soldering together (less plugging, i guess). There's no way to tell if it 5.0 or not. Just go by what they say. They said it's the interface that are different from previous version. 5.0 came out Jan 2018 per NavTool.
ok thanks. so is your unit up and running? did you have to do any wire splicing or was everything plug and play with no modifications? is it controlled though the knob like it shows on the youtube video?
swedrows is offline  
Old 11-26-2018, 12:45 PM
  #14  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 208
Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by swedrows View Post
ok thanks. so is your unit up and running? did you have to do any wire splicing or was everything plug and play with no modifications? is it controlled though the knob like it shows on the youtube video?
No wire splicing, all plug&play. Not work yet. NavTool said it's firmware issue and will release new firmware sometime today.
know610 is offline  
Old 11-26-2018, 12:58 PM
  #15  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 208
Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by swedrows View Post
ok thanks. so is your unit up and running? did you have to do any wire splicing or was everything plug and play with no modifications? is it controlled though the knob like it shows on the youtube video?
Shipping was very fast, got it on Wednesday. Ordered on Friday.

Oh, you need to buy "2 RCA Male to 2 RCA Male Audio Cable",
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DI89I04/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DI89I04/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uioqzprwb...XQRnyqM9a?dl=0

Last edited by know610; 11-26-2018 at 01:05 PM.
know610 is offline  
Old 11-26-2018, 01:02 PM
  #16  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Greater Chicago Area, IL
Age: 41
Posts: 133
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by know610 View Post
No wire splicing, all plug&play. Not work yet. NavTool said it's firmware issue and will release new firmware sometime today.
cool thanks, i may take the plunge and order today if everything goes good with my TLX test drive today. keep my posted if you get your unit working, as i would like to see a video of it and how it works!
swedrows is offline  
Old 11-27-2018, 01:14 PM
  #17  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 208
Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by swedrows View Post
cool thanks, i may take the plunge and order today if everything goes good with my TLX test drive today. keep my posted if you get your unit working, as i would like to see a video of it and how it works!
If you ordered and receive the unit, could see if you the same as mine. I posted picture in my dropbox, https://www.dropbox.com/home/NavTool
New firmware will be midnight in their server. I'm not sure y would they released midnight when everyone asleep. just make no sense.

Thanks.
know610 is offline  
Old 11-27-2018, 09:20 PM
  #18  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 208
Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by swedrows View Post
cool thanks, i may take the plunge and order today if everything goes good with my TLX test drive today. keep my posted if you get your unit working, as i would like to see a video of it and how it works!
Got everything work. They released new firmware around 6pm.

know610 is offline  
Old 11-27-2018, 11:05 PM
  #19  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Greater Chicago Area, IL
Age: 41
Posts: 133
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by know610 View Post
Got everything work. They released new firmware around 6pm.

https://youtu.be/JURtivLyWEo
Awesome, i ordered mine last night so hoping to get confirmation tomorrow if it will ship soon. i'm going to be using it with Android Auto so it's good the knob control works so i can go back and forth between the map and music pretty quickly. Once i get mine, i may make a video showing my complete installation process as there aren't many out there!
swedrows is offline  
Old 11-28-2018, 08:04 AM
  #20  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 208
Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by swedrows View Post
Awesome, i ordered mine last night so hoping to get confirmation tomorrow if it will ship soon. i'm going to be using it with Android Auto so it's good the knob control works so i can go back and forth between the map and music pretty quickly. Once i get mine, i may make a video showing my complete installation process as there aren't many out there!
Here's what I found this morning. This is my 1st time using it since I got the unit.
1) when backup and put back to drive, screen flicker. Shut off car and start again then everything work fine.
2) When 1st time start the car, HDMI and CarPlay produce no sound. I had to shut off car then start car again then there's sound.
3) Power cable they came is a little short. It did not reach to car floor.

Most important I see is #1 and #2. If that isn't fix, I will return it back. I don't want a $500 investment turn to couple thousand repair because car had to shut off/on for it works.

Unless I got a defective unit. Like we all know, not all board are created equal. So I can understand. and willing to do an exchange. Overall, it's very good product.

Last edited by know610; 11-28-2018 at 08:09 AM.
know610 is offline  
Old 11-28-2018, 08:13 AM
  #21  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 208
Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I'm thinking of doing complete installation process this weekend too but I just noticed I have contractor come to take down my huge tree. If weather permit, maybe Sunday or next wkend. Their NavTool youTube show only half of the tear down lol make it so easy but in reality u need to remove a LOT to access the rear radio
know610 is offline  
Old 11-29-2018, 07:14 AM
  #22  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 208
Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
These are finding I found:
1) Basically I when I start the car, I need to wait for everything to load then my AppleTV work fine.
2) When plugged to iPhone itís best to wait until CarPlay on iPhone screen show logo then everything fine.
3) The unit is a title buggy sometimes especially if u turn knob fast. If u do one at a time itís okay.
4) While listening to CarPlay music (google music or Apple Music) and using navigation, music will stop whenever navigation give guidance then it resume music afterward.
óóó

chat with NavTool, they said itís best to run ďUSB to microUSBĒ cable inside car so I donít need to unplug the unit and take inside home for future update. Just run the cable and bring laptop connected to cable and update.


Last edited by know610; 11-29-2018 at 07:20 AM.
know610 is offline  
Old 11-29-2018, 11:35 AM
  #23  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Greater Chicago Area, IL
Age: 41
Posts: 133
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by know610 View Post
These are finding I found:
1) Basically I when I start the car, I need to wait for everything to load then my AppleTV work fine.
2) When plugged to iPhone itís best to wait until CarPlay on iPhone screen show logo then everything fine.
3) The unit is a title buggy sometimes especially if u turn knob fast. If u do one at a time itís okay.
4) While listening to CarPlay music (google music or Apple Music) and using navigation, music will stop whenever navigation give guidance then it resume music afterward.
óóó

chat with NavTool, they said itís best to run ďUSB to microUSBĒ cable inside car so I donít need to unplug the unit and take inside home for future update. Just run the cable and bring laptop connected to cable and update.

that's actually a pretty helpful tip to run the usb to microusb cable inside the car. i may get a longer cable and route it and make a special mount in the armrest tray to make future updates easy. i just checked my order and it has a tracking number indicating it will be delivered monday, but i know i won't have time until at least the saturday december 8th to install it. it will give me time to plan the install and hopefully not forget to buy cables and anything else i need so i can start and finish in one day.
swedrows is offline  
Old 11-30-2018, 09:28 AM
  #24  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Age: 28
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/fifth-g.../#post16340842i just installed mine last weekend (see post for pics)

Siri or Ok google will work with voice. The steering wheel button or other button like the phone button cannot initiate voice assistants (I was sad when I saw this too). The Siri eyes button on the steering can send the phone in Siri mode but it terminates in less than 2 secs.

Also during calls, I find that people on the other side of the call cannot hear me clearly enough through the microphone Navtool provided so I route my call through Bluetooth.

overall Iím quite happy with the installation as itís very fast/responsive and useful!

The work needed for installation is quite a task. Itís not a slam dunk. I had to elongate wires to make the system reach the car floor.

navhap is offline  
Old 11-30-2018, 11:12 AM
  #25  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 208
Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by navhap View Post
https://acurazine.com/forums/fifth-g.../#post16340842i just installed mine last weekend (see post for pics)

Siri or Ok google will work with voice. The steering wheel button or other button like the phone button cannot initiate voice assistants (I was sad when I saw this too). The Siri eyes button on the steering can send the phone in Siri mode but it terminates in less than 2 secs.

Also during calls, I find that people on the other side of the call cannot hear me clearly enough through the microphone Navtool provided so I route my call through Bluetooth.

overall Iím quite happy with the installation as itís very fast/responsive and useful!

The work needed for installation is quite a task. Itís not a slam dunk. I had to elongate wires to make the system reach the car floor.

Not sure what happen to your post??

Can you provide link to where you got "CarPlay/Android usb port"? See picture


know610 is offline  
Old 11-30-2018, 11:19 AM
  #26  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 208
Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by swedrows View Post
that's actually a pretty helpful tip to run the usb to microusb cable inside the car. i may get a longer cable and route it and make a special mount in the armrest tray to make future updates easy. i just checked my order and it has a tracking number indicating it will be delivered monday, but i know i won't have time until at least the saturday december 8th to install it. it will give me time to plan the install and hopefully not forget to buy cables and anything else i need so i can start and finish in one day.
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by know610; 11-30-2018 at 11:27 AM.
know610 is offline  
Old 11-30-2018, 03:48 PM
  #27  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Age: 28
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by know610 View Post
Not sure what happen to your post??

Can you provide link to where you got "CarPlay/Android usb port"? See picture

Amazon Amazon

here is the link. I just plugged it the following's Data port.
Amazon Amazon

^ this got plugged in the Navtool interface.

Then I used the following to feed power into the HDMI to lightening connector. This little adapter makes sure the the iPhone is able to negotiate the power delivery contact and start the charging.
Amazon Amazon

this way all connectors and ports have power and can charge my iPhone.
navhap is offline  
Old 11-30-2018, 03:51 PM
  #28  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Age: 28
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I just did my installation last week and here are some pictures from it. it's pretty awesome so far!




navhap is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to navhap For This Useful Post:
know610 (11-30-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 04:33 PM
  #29  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 208
Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by navhap View Post
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
here is the link. I just plugged it the following's Data port.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
^ this got plugged in the Navtool interface.
Then I used the following to feed power into the HDMI to lightening connector. This little adapter makes sure the the iPhone is able to negotiate the power delivery contact and start the charging.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
this way all connectors and ports have power and can charge my iPhone.
I don't get it or understand. You need all that for just one USB port? Can I just use "
Square Single Port USB 3.0 Panel Flush Mount Extension Cable Square Single Port USB 3.0 Panel Flush Mount Extension Cable
" and connect start to NavTool USB port? Why do I need the other 2 items?

Is your Navtool the same as my unit, see picture.



know610 is offline  
Old 11-30-2018, 04:38 PM
  #30  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 208
Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Ok I think I got you. You also want to charge your iPhone too while mirroring. Then in that case, I do not need all that item since I's using AppleTV and no plan to mirror cuz I connected HDMI port to AppleTV.
know610 is offline  
Old 11-30-2018, 04:59 PM
  #31  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 208
Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
navhap
You mentioned you extended navtool wire so unit reach car floor, what wire gauge you used?

I want to extend mine too.
know610 is offline  
Old 11-30-2018, 06:14 PM
  #32  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Age: 28
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yes that is true. One port supplies power to two things and since I will be using only one item at one time it made sense to use this schematic.
Yes my Navtool is exactly the same as yours and it's quite responsive.

I used like a 24 gauge wire to extend the black zip tied connector.
navhap is offline  
Old 11-30-2018, 07:52 PM
  #33  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 208
Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by navhap View Post
Yes that is true. One port supplies power to two things and since I will be using only one item at one time it made sense to use this schematic.
Yes my Navtool is exactly the same as yours and it's quite responsive.

I used like a 24 gauge wire to extend the black zip tied connector.
Kewl I will get 24 gauge wire to extend so it reach car floor.

I have iPhone XS Max and iOS 12.1, I usually got disconnected from NavTool CarPlay. They said itís an Apple bug and pointed me to Apple forum. Not sure if you experience that too?

Thanks for your reply.
know610 is offline  
Old 11-30-2018, 08:30 PM
  #34  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Age: 28
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Can you try your friends phone or something?
navhap is offline  
Old 11-30-2018, 10:33 PM
  #35  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Greater Chicago Area, IL
Age: 41
Posts: 133
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
ok so my question is, if i plug in my android phone to the carplay/android auto port you installed that connects to navtool, does it charge the phone while connected or does it only connect the phone to navtool but does not charge it?
swedrows is offline  
Old 12-01-2018, 03:41 AM
  #36  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Age: 28
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It charges as well.
navhap is offline  
Old 12-01-2018, 10:28 AM
  #37  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Greater Chicago Area, IL
Age: 41
Posts: 133
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by navhap View Post
It charges as well.
ok that's good. also, did you simply route the aux cable into the armrest console and drill a hole in there? do you have a picture of that? thanks.
swedrows is offline  
Old 12-01-2018, 10:50 AM
  #38  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Age: 28
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
No, no need to plug any cables into Aux port. The harness already does that for you. It connects the audio to the aux pinout behind the radio.
navhap is offline  
Old 12-01-2018, 11:16 AM
  #39  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Greater Chicago Area, IL
Age: 41
Posts: 133
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by navhap View Post
No, no need to plug any cables into Aux port. The harness already does that for you. It connects the audio to the aux pinout behind the radio.
awesome, this makes it alot simpler. hopefully i'll be able to get this done next weekend if my unit comes in tuesday. i still may make an accessible port in the armrest or hide a cable somewhere in order to do future firmware updates to the navtool unit like know610 indicated so i don't have to pull apart my car in the future
swedrows is offline  
Old 12-01-2018, 12:17 PM
  #40  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Age: 28
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yes I have a hidden microUSB to usb cable hidden behind the black easy to pull out panel under the gear shifter for firmware updates.
navhap is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Navtool 5.0 - Does it actually work with control knob?


Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.