What happened in or around your TLX today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015 | 07:51 AM
Instructor

Anybody else get the survey from Acura about their TLX? How'd you rate everything?
Old 01-16-2015 | 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by crownr0yal
Anybody else get the survey from Acura about their TLX? How'd you rate everything?
When did you take delivery of your car and when did you get the survey?

I think I may have gotten one shortly after taking delivery but not sure. If I got one today I would give it great grades on everything except the quirky transmission.
Old 01-16-2015 | 08:12 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut

I think I may have gotten one shortly after taking delivery but not sure. If I got one today I would give it great grades on everything except the quirky transmission.
I pretty much did the same thing except I complained about the Idle Stop and then the not-quite-in-first-gear issue I mentioned in the other thread.
Old 01-16-2015 | 09:55 AM
Instructor

Took delivery 12-18-14, so almost exactly 1 month ago. Got the survey this morning. I think I discussed the transmission, the climate control, and the heated seats (As far as the controls. I mean, they asked!) Everything else is fine.

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
I pretty much did the same thing except I complained about the Idle Stop and then the not-quite-in-first-gear issue I mentioned in the other thread.
Yep.
Old 01-18-2015 | 05:28 PM
Instructor

Salted roads are killing my viiiiiibe. It rained randomly overnight and wet roads + old salt = freshly washed car only lasted two days. I think I'm going to invest in the splash guards.
Old 01-18-2015 | 05:52 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ You would not want to live here where we have salt, sand, snow, ice and everything else under the sun! That is why I keep my good cars in the garage and just drive my little Hyundai Accent. Can't wait for spring to get my new ....
Old 01-18-2015 | 06:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Salted roads are killing my viiiiiibe. It rained randomly overnight and wet roads + old salt = freshly washed car only lasted two days. I think I'm going to invest in the splash guards.
Splash guards will help the lower panels but do nothing for the rear end of the car which is a magnet for spray and dirt.
Old 01-19-2015 | 09:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

Had my Michelin X-Ice snow tires installed last week. That plus SH-AWD is amazing on ice and snow.
Old 01-22-2015 | 02:52 PM
Instructor

had my first official dance party in the TLX. although i wish there was just a tad bit more bass, it's still such a great sounding system!
Old 01-25-2015 | 12:34 PM

Did a no-rinse wash in the garage this morning. A little chilly but worth it as she's all clean and shiny again!!

The following 2 users liked this post by CheeseyPoofs McNut:
crownr0yal (01-27-2015), tlxsteve (01-25-2015)
Old 01-25-2015 | 02:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Did a no-rinse wash in the garage this morning. A little chilly but worth it as she's all clean and shiny again!!
For the uneducated like me, what is a no-rinse wash?

Your TLX looks great.
Old 01-25-2015 | 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by tlxsteve
For the uneducated like me, what is a no-rinse wash?

Your TLX looks great.
No Rinse wash is the latest thing in car care for those who are in areas where water is scarce or for those who are in cold climates where you don't want to use a hose to wash the car. Or even for those who live in apartments and don't have access to a hose.

click -> Optimum No Rinse Wash & Wax, no rinse car wash, rinse free car wash, optimum no rinse

You fill a bucket with water and mix in the no-rinse solution and soak about 10 microfiber towels in it. I like to put some solution in a spray bottle too - and spray the lower half of the car where it has the most dirt to loosen it up a bit.

You pull a towel out of the bucket - squeeze it out a bit - and fold it into fourths. Take that and start wiping off the car one section at a time - once you wipe it off you change to a clean section of the towel (each towel get's 8 wipes - once a section of the towel is dirty you flip it over to the clean side) and when the towel is dirty you toss it into an empty bucket and grab another from the wash bucket.

After wiping off a section of the car you take a drying towel and dry it off - no rinse needed!

It works great on cars that are just a little dirty - if you have to much caked on grit you would want to hose it down first lest you risk scratching the paint on your car.
The following 2 users liked this post by CheeseyPoofs McNut:
tlxsteve (01-26-2015), wlkeel (01-25-2015)
Old 01-25-2015 | 06:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

There are also waterless wash spray products, like Goclean which does not require any water, but similar cleaning process. I have been using it for over a year on my cars, winter and summer. If there is a lot of salt/dirt on the car then I will go to a self wash facility and power spray (one pass) then go home and do a proper waterless clean. Then use Meguiar's Quick Detailer as a finishing coat. All of this last 2 maybe 3 days in winter.
The following users liked this post:
tlxsteve (01-26-2015)
Old 01-25-2015 | 11:17 PM
Drifting

Wow, sounds scary to me, like it would be difficult to avoid surface scratches. But your testimonials would suggest that it works. Still sounds scary though...
Old 01-26-2015 | 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Treblig
Wow, sounds scary to me, like it would be difficult to avoid surface scratches. But your testimonials would suggest that it works. Still sounds scary though...
Aye - I felt the same way but I've seen some real anal detailers post that they do it and it's very safe if done correctly. If I didn't have a white car I would have been more hesitant to try it I suppose.
Old 01-26-2015 | 09:55 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Treblig
A "rinse less" wash is much more safer on clear coats than a "water less" wash.
tlxsteve (01-26-2015)
Old 01-26-2015 | 10:24 PM
Burning Brakes

No Rinse wash is the latest thing in car care for those who are in areas where water is scarce or for those who are in cold climates where you don't want to use a hose to wash the car. Or even for those who live in apartments and don't have access to a hose.

click -> Optimum No Rinse Wash & Wax, no rinse car wash, rinse free car wash, optimum no rinse

You fill a bucket with water and mix in the no-rinse solution and soak about 10 microfiber towels in it. I like to put some solution in a spray bottle too - and spray the lower half of the car where it has the most dirt to loosen it up a bit.

You pull a towel out of the bucket - squeeze it out a bit - and fold it into fourths. Take that and start wiping off the car one section at a time - once you wipe it off you change to a clean section of the towel (each towel get's 8 wipes - once a section of the towel is dirty you flip it over to the clean side) and when the towel is dirty you toss it into an empty bucket and grab another from the wash bucket.

After wiping off a section of the car you take a drying towel and dry it off - no rinse needed!

It works great on cars that are just a little dirty - if you have to much caked on grit you would want to hose it down first lest you risk scratching the paint on your car.
Thanks for the info. I am amazed I never heard of this before.
Old 01-26-2015 | 11:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

In all my years of washing cars and carrying pails of car care products, other than spray detailer, this is new to me. Although water is not generally an issue in Canada, i try to do touch ups without washing, particularly in the summer. One product I find very useful is a large waxed brush to get dust and light soil off the car. It is the same type of product many dealers use to dust their showroom and outside cars.

Thanks!
Old 01-27-2015 | 11:13 AM

Thanks for the info. I am amazed I never heard of this before.
Originally Posted by mapleloaf
In all my years of washing cars and carrying pails of car care products, other than spray detailer, this is new to me. Although water is not generally an issue in Canada, i try to do touch ups without washing, particularly in the summer. One product I find very useful is a large waxed brush to get dust and light soil off the car. It is the same type of product many dealers use to dust their showroom and outside cars.

Thanks!
Aye - it wasn't until I started hanging around a few of the more popular auto detailing forums that I learned about it. To be fair some of the old skool guys refuse to do it because of the threat of scratches. I do my wife's black Mazda on occasion and thus far haven't introduced any scratches. I've got the equipment to buff them out if I do so I'm pretty safe.
tlxsteve (01-27-2015)
Old 01-28-2015 | 11:57 AM
Intermediate

She's finally here!

Was a bittersweet day. She arrived in as pristine condition as the day I dropped her off in Charleston, minus the snow and dirt, and drove great in the cold weather.

Cars require an inspection before they can be registered in Germany, and unfortunately, one of their laws is no tint on the drivers and passenger windows. The tint was easy enough to take off with a razor, but left a residue on the windows which wasn't so easy to remove, and I'm still working on it, doh!

The inspector also said we're required to have plates on the front and back, and I'm only authorized long (traditional) plates because I have enough space on the front and rear bumpers,. Sadly, this required me to finally drill out the frame holes in the front bumper, *sigh*. Really enjoyed the clean front bumper look, but must admit, it's pretty cool seeing her with some European plates.

First trip is scheduled for Sunday, off to Amsterdam!
The following 3 users liked this post by liquidh2o:
accord1999 (01-28-2015), Mr Hyde (01-28-2015), tlxsteve (01-28-2015)
Old 01-28-2015 | 03:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by mapleloaf

Thanks!
Rinseless washes work great, and many do them all year long.

Personally in the winter, I'll hit the self serve car wash, and just pressure wash off the grit, then follow with a rinseless when I get home.
Old 02-13-2015 | 07:00 AM
Advanced

I've had my graphic luster TLX SH AWD for 3 months now. Miraculously I've avoided both recalls and the nav update was already in the car when I picked up the car. other than the weirdness when downshifting to a stop in sport + everything works just like it's supposed to. today it is 4 degrees F and the road is coated with a glaze of snow. I drove to work at the usual 55 to 60 mph and never felt the car slip at all. Of course I have Michelin x ice tires but I could feel the AWD kick in a keep the car steady. Listening to Rachmaninov piano concerto on the fabulous audio. Heated seats etc. Love this car
The following 3 users liked this post by Jayellin:
a35tl (02-13-2015), Stew4HD (02-13-2015), tlxsteve (02-13-2015)
Old 02-13-2015 | 12:46 PM
2015 Acura TLX AWD

Still loving my TLX. Even as I anticipate scheduling the transmission recall visit
I've got a question: on the steering wheel, below the Acura emblem, is a triangle with perforated holes. Is this a speaker, or a microphone? And where is the microphone located in the car?
Old 02-13-2015 | 01:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by shs111
Still loving my TLX. Even as I anticipate scheduling the transmission recall visit
I've got a question: on the steering wheel, below the Acura emblem, is a triangle with perforated holes. Is this a speaker, or a microphone? And where is the microphone located in the car?
It's good to hear that you are still loving your TLX

That area you asked about is just there for aesthetics/space filler/there to make people ask "WTH is that?"
Old 02-13-2015 | 02:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by shs111
If your car is not rolling when in park, the transmission inspection is just a CYA move to protect everyone involved. The microphone is in the upper console area between the map lights and sunglasses holder.
Old 02-25-2015 | 08:12 AM
Instructor

Yesterday, I learned that the parking brake will automatically disengage when I hit the gas with my seat belt buckled and the car is in Drive or Reverse. One less step!

It will automatically engage when I'm in Drive, with the brake hold feature enabled, and I unbuckle my seat belt.
Old 02-25-2015 | 06:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yesterday, I learned that the parking brake will automatically disengage when I hit the gas with my seat belt buckled and the car is in Drive or Reverse. One less step!

It will automatically engage when I'm in Drive, with the brake hold feature enabled, and I unbuckle my seat belt.
I have noticed these things and was trying to establish the conditions when the parking brake automatically engages, besides when you turn the car off in D and the brake hold is engaged.. This was helpful.
crownr0yal (03-02-2015)
Old 02-27-2015 | 06:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Detailed the car at a spray wash place, with lots of time to dry, and it looks fabulous.
-10 C outside, so roads are reasonably dry for now and it should look clean for a while. I also picked up an actual manual that my nice PArts Manager ordered at 0 cost. Nice to have the paper copy! Navi manual on the way.
Old 02-28-2015 | 11:46 AM
a77
Racer

Originally Posted by liquidh2o
She's finally here!

Was a bittersweet day. She arrived in as pristine condition as the day I dropped her off in Charleston, minus the snow and dirt, and drove great in the cold weather.

Cars require an inspection before they can be registered in Germany, and unfortunately, one of their laws is no tint on the drivers and passenger windows. The tint was easy enough to take off with a razor, but left a residue on the windows which wasn't so easy to remove, and I'm still working on it, doh!

The inspector also said we're required to have plates on the front and back, and I'm only authorized long (traditional) plates because I have enough space on the front and rear bumpers,. Sadly, this required me to finally drill out the frame holes in the front bumper, *sigh*. Really enjoyed the clean front bumper look, but must admit, it's pretty cool seeing her with some European plates.

First trip is scheduled for Sunday, off to Amsterdam!
Do you need rear fog lights? Mandatory since...83? Would be awesome to have this car on unrestricted autobahns.

Congrats!
Old 02-28-2015 | 11:48 AM
a77
Racer

Originally Posted by Jayellin
I've had my graphic luster TLX SH AWD for 3 months now. Miraculously I've avoided both recalls and the nav update was already in the car when I picked up the car. other than the weirdness when downshifting to a stop in sport + everything works just like it's supposed to. today it is 4 degrees F and the road is coated with a glaze of snow. I drove to work at the usual 55 to 60 mph and never felt the car slip at all. Of course I have Michelin x ice tires but I could feel the AWD kick in a keep the car steady. Listening to Rachmaninov piano concerto on the fabulous audio. Heated seats etc. Love this car
I have 2 Rachmaninov piano works on my tlx's HDD and xices. So the same combo...amazing....:-?
Old 02-28-2015 | 01:52 PM
Senior Moderator

The horrible roads ended up putting a large bubble in one of my tires. I ended up replacing my tire with...........another Good Year!

I originally thought I would replace all 4 tires with a/s Michelin Pilot Sports at the first opportunity, but they did just fine over the winter, and through the snow.

Instead of scrapping 3 of them, I am going to keep these for the winter, and get some PSS tires on 19s for the summer. Was going to go with the Diamond cut wheels, but now feel like I want to go with something a little more simple design wise.
Old 02-28-2015 | 05:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Washed the car today, myself. It was 75F degrees outside today with overcast skies. Usually I pay someone to do it. It looks great but I found some scratches and nicks. Luckily Amazon sells OEM Acura touch up paint. Car looks great. Can't drive it tonight because it looks like rain.
Attached Thumbnails What happened in or around your TLX today?-1.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by tlxsteve:
Colin (03-01-2015), crownr0yal (03-02-2015)
Old 03-02-2015 | 07:43 AM
Instructor

My TLX is still at the Dr's office, but this RLX is great! It's basically a bigger TLX, which is like, duh, but still! So nice, and I was able to coax this MPG out of it, even after leaving it idling for 3 minutes and putting my foot down SEVERAL times. This is about 70% highway and 30% city.

Name:  FullSizeRender_zps03c5202e.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  129.4 KB
Old 03-02-2015 | 08:25 AM

Washed the car today, myself. It was 75F degrees outside today with overcast skies. Usually I pay someone to do it. It looks great but I found some scratches and nicks. Luckily Amazon sells OEM Acura touch up paint. Car looks great. Can't drive it tonight because it looks like rain.
Car looks great!

I've already touched up two stone chips on mine - I've got some very minor scratches too but I'll buff those out this Summer when I do a full detail on her again.
tlxsteve (03-02-2015)
Old 03-02-2015 | 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Hyde
The horrible roads ended up putting a large bubble in one of my tires. I ended up replacing my tire with...........another Good Year!

I originally thought I would replace all 4 tires with a/s Michelin Pilot Sports at the first opportunity, but they did just fine over the winter, and through the snow.

Instead of scrapping 3 of them, I am going to keep these for the winter, and get some PSS tires on 19s for the summer. Was going to go with the Diamond cut wheels, but now feel like I want to go with something a little more simple design wise.
Aye - mine have been serviceable in the snow/ice this Winter - I really have no complaints about them.

I think the knock on them has been that they wear pretty quickly - I tend to drive like an old man most of the time so I generally get a lot of miles on my tread - hopefully they hold up for me.
Old 03-03-2015 | 11:55 AM
6th Gear

Jus got my sh-awd tlx a little over a week ago and put around 750 miles on it. Can't wait to get out of the break in period and really try out the sport + mode.
Old 03-04-2015 | 03:51 PM
Advanced

I transferred my Sirius XM lifetime subscription from my now gone TSX to my new TLX. Then I went on a drive to make sure the XM still worked. On the drive I learned 2 things: 1) if you stop at a stop light and the auto stop shuts off the engine - you can start the engine up again by wiggling the steering wheel, 2) the loud exhaust sound from the car driving ahead of me was louder than noises I heard from my TLX. I appreciate the quiet of the TLX.
Old 03-04-2015 | 04:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Gary3N
I transferred my Sirius XM lifetime subscription from my now gone TSX to my new TLX. Then I went on a drive to make sure the XM still worked. On the drive I learned 2 things: 1) if you stop at a stop light and the auto stop shuts off the engine - you can start the engine up again by wiggling the steering wheel, 2) the loud exhaust sound from the car driving ahead of me was louder than noises I heard from my TLX. I appreciate the quiet of the TLX.
Also, you can slightly lift your foot off the brake, not enough for the car to move. It doesn't take much and the car restarts.

I love the quiet too!
Old 03-05-2015 | 07:40 AM
Instructor

The dealership is delivering my TLX back to my office in about 1 hour! It's rainy and cold, but I can't wait to see her again!

my CoCo!
Old 03-05-2015 | 08:46 PM
TL^
TLX^

2 days with my TLX and I love it. Originally had an UA7, traded it in for a CRV for a bit and now i'm back in a TLX V6 FWD. Hasn't stopped snowing since I picked it up but can't wait till the roads are clear. For anyone who has Sport+, how does it run?

crownr0yal (03-06-2015)

Quick Reply: What happened in or around your TLX today?