TLX: Sept sales numbers

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 11:10 PM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by Nexx
IMHO the 5G is a slight upgrade over the 4G.
You are definitely in the minority, even seasoned Acura salesmen recognize that the TLX is a step down from the 4G.
Old 10-05-2016, 12:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by KeithL
no way I feel the TLX is an upgrade from a 4G, sure there are more features, but the TLX stepped into a time machine to 3G like materials. And as others have said they have not kept up. SH-AWD is the ONLY thing that got me into a TLX. Hyundai/Kia offer better features and almost comparable quality materials for substantially less. Then the infotainment is below par than almost all competitors. And of course the tranny sucks the life out of the car. Then add in stupid things like no real silver and some weak colors. Having a real pearl white like Caddy or Lexus would be nice as well as well as real silver.
Exactly, frankly there are very few compelling reasons to pick a TLX over some mainstream sedans, let alone the fully fledged premium sport sedans at similar price and/or performance point.

The truly premium sport sedans (3 Series, A4, C Class, Q50, ATS, IS, Jaguar XE) are simply in another league compared to the TLX and even what I call the terrific (in terms of value) quartet (Dodge Charger, Chrysler 300, Chevrolet SS and Hyundai Genesis) are out of TLX reach. The big Hyundai has lost some of its value proposition since it did pick up over 3 grand in sticker price just for the fact of wearing the new Genesis logo. The new Lincoln MKZ blows the TLX out of the water as well.
I heard very good things about the new excellent Maxima, still not a fan of the CVT but it seems that Nissan finally cracked the code...I reserve judgement when I will drive one, on looks and interiors alone it would easily get my vote over a TLX.

In the mainstream sandbox I would pick a TLX over a Camry, a Lexus ES, an Avalon, any Passat, a Subaru Legacy or even an Accord. The TLX would also get my vote over the otherwise terrific Mazda 6 but the Mazda powertrain is too down in power. The new Ford Fusion Sport leaves the TLX in the dust, the outgoing Chrysler 200 almost match perfectly the TLX in specs (and it surpass it in tech and amenities) for much less coin. The new Malibu turbo would get my vote over a 4 banger TLX any day of the week...it seems that GM really did its homework..the same can be said about the Kia Optima.

Even two old models on their way out are hard to ignore compared to the TLX

Despite of its awkward (to me) styling (outside and especially inside), the Ford Taurus SHO still offer a terrific value proposition (sweetened by heavy discount because of approaching end of production) and real performance sedan chops.

Not long ago I drove a fully loaded Buick Regal GS AWD (next year a new generation will debut) and I have to confess that it was a real hoot to drive, significantly more than the TLX.....its 4 banger twin scroll turbo is very torquey and it has real performance hardware (adaptive suspension, sport Brembo brakes, optional 255 wide sticky tires). It is not as fast on a straight line as the TLX SH-AWD but on the bends it does truly shines, it still looks very sharp with its sport exhaust pipes and 20" wheels, interiors are very nicely done, easily on par with the TLX and can be had loaded to the hilt for several thousands less than a TLX SH-AWD

Old 10-05-2016, 08:39 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
OUCH, will this thread get locked before I finish my POPCORN?
The following users liked this post:
5 Acuras (10-06-2016)
Old 10-05-2016, 08:55 AM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by saturno_v
Exactly, frankly there are very few compelling reasons to pick a TLX over some mainstream sedans, let alone the fully fledged premium sport sedans at similar price and/or performance point.

The truly premium sport sedans (3 Series, A4, C Class, Q50, ATS, IS, Jaguar XE) are simply in another league compared to the TLX and even what I call the terrific (in terms of value) quartet (Dodge Charger, Chrysler 300, Chevrolet SS and Hyundai Genesis) are out of TLX reach. The big Hyundai has lost some of its value proposition since it did pick up over 3 grand in sticker price just for the fact of wearing the new Genesis logo. The new Lincoln MKZ blows the TLX out of the water as well.
I heard very good things about the new excellent Maxima, still not a fan of the CVT but it seems that Nissan finally cracked the code...I reserve judgement when I will drive one, on looks and interiors alone it would easily get my vote over a TLX.

In the mainstream sandbox I would pick a TLX over a Camry, a Lexus ES, an Avalon, any Passat, a Subaru Legacy or even an Accord. The TLX would also get my vote over the otherwise terrific Mazda 6 but the Mazda powertrain is too down in power. The new Ford Fusion Sport leaves the TLX in the dust, the outgoing Chrysler 200 almost match perfectly the TLX in specs (and it surpass it in tech and amenities) for much less coin. The new Malibu turbo would get my vote over a 4 banger TLX any day of the week...it seems that GM really did its homework..the same can be said about the Kia Optima.

Even two old models on their way out are hard to ignore compared to the TLX

Despite of its awkward (to me) styling (outside and especially inside), the Ford Taurus SHO still offer a terrific value proposition (sweetened by heavy discount because of approaching end of production) and real performance sedan chops.

Not long ago I drove a fully loaded Buick Regal GS AWD (next year a new generation will debut) and I have to confess that it was a real hoot to drive, significantly more than the TLX.....its 4 banger twin scroll turbo is very torquey and it has real performance hardware (adaptive suspension, sport Brembo brakes, optional 255 wide sticky tires). It is not as fast on a straight line as the TLX SH-AWD but on the bends it does truly shines, it still looks very sharp with its sport exhaust pipes and 20" wheels, interiors are very nicely done, easily on par with the TLX and can be had loaded to the hilt for several thousands less than a TLX SH-AWD
This is long essay. I completely agree except those American cars which do not have same reliability as Acura in long run. But you are completely right that TLX is downgrade of 4G. for Interior, some people said the material is better than 4G. luxury car needs to give the feeling. leave the material comparison between 4g and tlx on the side, the feeling when I was sitting in TLX is cheap. I do not see much difference from Accord exl. the whole TLX gives me the light feeling. 4G, I feel heavy, solid and tough, muscular but nimble
Old 10-05-2016, 09:10 AM
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
I think a big problem they have is performance and options when compared to the competition. Audi has the S3, S4, S5 and S6 offerings with hp ratings from 292 all the way up to 450 AND you can order a manual transmission AND AWD. Infiniti has the new Q50 Red Sport with AWD and 400hp, and they just introduced the Q60 coupe with 400hp and AWD as well. Lexus has the IS350 F-Sport, RC F-Sport, RC-F, GS F-Sport, and GS-F lines. And as we all know the list goes on and on when you look at the other manufactures out there. When you look at Acura they just don't have anything that competes with a lot of these products even though they keep claiming they are focusing on "Precision Crafted Performance". Where are these performance oriented products they say they are focusing on?
Old 10-05-2016, 09:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by lltfly
This is long essay. I completely agree except those American cars which do not have same reliability as Acura in long run. But you are completely right that TLX is downgrade of 4G. for Interior, some people said the material is better than 4G. luxury car needs to give the feeling. leave the material comparison between 4g and tlx on the side, the feeling when I was sitting in TLX is cheap. I do not see much difference from Accord exl. the whole TLX gives me the light feeling. 4G, I feel heavy, solid and tough, muscular but nimble

I think the reliability card is fading for the Jap...the TLX has not been stellar in that regard anyway, furthermore modern cars, especially premium ones with high tech content, become a gamble to own in the long run regardless of brand. I would not own a fully loaded Lexus (usually top reliability ranking) or a fully loaded Chrysler (usually in the low end of the ranking) out of warranty. Audi is on a roll despite of its iffy reliability reputation.
The 2010 4G owned by a friend of ours, always in garage and treated well, suddenly needed 5 grand worth of repair (odometer in the 80K)
Old 10-05-2016, 09:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
OUCH, will this thread get locked before I finish my POPCORN?

....you better swallow yours fast Bear.....
Old 10-05-2016, 09:16 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Originally Posted by Nexx
i sit on 4G's everyday at work. i think you highly overrating the interior on those cars. with that being said the driving dynamic is better in the 4G compared the TLX.
Is that what you tell all your customers?

"It's like, better. Waaaaaaaaaaay better. Trust me. It's better."
Old 10-05-2016, 09:21 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by heisnuts
I think a big problem they have is performance and options when compared to the competition. Audi has the S3, S4, S5 and S6 offerings with hp ratings from 292 all the way up to 450 AND you can order a manual transmission AND AWD. Infiniti has the new Q50 Red Sport with AWD and 400hp, and they just introduced the Q60 coupe with 400hp and AWD as well. Lexus has the IS350 F-Sport, RC F-Sport, RC-F, GS F-Sport, and GS-F lines. And as we all know the list goes on and on when you look at the other manufactures out there. When you look at Acura they just don't have anything that competes with a lot of these products even though they keep claiming they are focusing on "Precision Crafted Performance". Where are these performance oriented products they say they are focusing on?
Acura's product manager is hidden traitor. what is hot selling, what they cut off.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:22 AM
Racer

I think the reliability card is fading for the Jap...the TLX has not been stellar in that regard anyway, furthermore modern cars, especially premium ones with high tech content, become a gamble to own in the long run regardless of brand. I would not own a fully loaded Lexus (usually top reliability ranking) or a fully loaded Chrysler (usually in the low end of the ranking) out of warranty. Audi is on a roll despite of its iffy reliability reputation.
The 2010 4G owned by a friend of ours, always in garage and treated well, suddenly needed 5 grand worth of repair (odometer in the 80K)
Majority, Japanese car is far more reliable than americans and German
Old 10-05-2016, 09:28 AM
Banned

It may well be true but it does not seems to matter to people that much anymore...the Germans, for example, are on a roll....

When you breach the 40K barrier long term ownership is not a major concern.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:37 AM
Team Owner

No. Simply no. Not anymore. This is the problem with car buyers- they hang on to stigmas from the past, rather than do research. Honda/Acura is no longer reliable and hasn't been reliable for years. They're not the worst. But they're nowhere near what they used to be.

You don't have a CEO step down due to poor reliability if the company actually builds solid cars.
You don't continue to sink in reliability ratings if the vehicles are actually reliable.
You don't have people clammering on forums about all the issues they have with their own cars, if the cars were solid.
Old 10-05-2016, 12:49 PM
Racer

It may well be true but it does not seems to matter to people that much anymore...the Germans, for example, are on a roll....

When you breach the 40K barrier long term ownership is not a major concern.
I think it still matters on majority. that is the reason toyota can sell that much camrys and collora (do not know how to spell this). I do not see any attraction except reliability on camry~~~~
but it is top seller in family sedan segment
Old 10-05-2016, 12:54 PM
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 32 Posts
The TLX is twice as quiet on the road as its predecessors which adds tremendously to its appeal in my book. And aside from the droopy semi-hidden-but-not-really exhaust, the exterior design is spot on. I think it wears the best iteration of the Acura beak.

It should be noted that there is a huge difference in perceived luxury between the Base and Technology packages. Technology adds real perforated leather seats; the Base has an oddly textured seat material that looks anything but sporty or luxurious. The base package's display between the gauges looks like a circa-1990 Sega Genesis menu -- it's surprisingly low resolution. Other small touches like the frameless mirror and Homelink in the Tech really help.

As far as the transmission goes, the 2016 Base V6 felt so much better than my 2015; it actually felt like it was in the right gear, and shifted quickly between gears. FWIW, I got the TSB software update on my 2015 done and immediately regretted it; the 2-3 shift takes forever and really kicks once it actually engages. I'm supposed to give it 500 miles for the transmission to "learn" my driving habits so I'm hoping it improves soon.

I still maintain that the TLX sits in a sweet spot between value, style, reliability, and performance. Similarly equipped BMW, Infiniti, and Lexus competitors get to be $5-10K more expensive very quickly.

The sales decline IMHO is that gas is cheap and more people are turning to SUVs.
Old 10-05-2016, 12:54 PM
Racer

Suddenly come up with the thought on TSX. I can see TSX everywhere on the road for every 3 minutes. it has been a so hot cake. as a normal mortal, I still do not understand someone in Acura decided to cut TSX name off from their product line~~~~.
The following 3 users liked this post by lltfly:
Gen4MDX (10-08-2016), JT4 (10-06-2016), TacoBello (10-05-2016)
Old 10-05-2016, 01:22 PM
Banned

I think it still matters on majority. that is the reason toyota can sell that much camrys and collora (do not know how to spell this). I do not see any attraction except reliability on camry~~~~
but it is top seller in family sedan segment
Camrys and Corollas are not 40K and over cars...they are appliances and bought based on very rational considerations.
TacoBello (10-05-2016)
Old 10-05-2016, 01:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TLXinTX
Similarly equipped BMW, Infiniti, and Lexus competitors get to be $5-10K more expensive very quickly.

...because they are simply much better cars from a luxury sport sedan perspective....
Old 10-05-2016, 01:46 PM
Racer

Camrys and Corollas are not 40K and over cars...they are appliances and bought based on very rational considerations.
did not see the "40k"
but I think it matters
1. car around 50k, bmw, benz and some others. I see a lot of people lease them, not buying. it is because that they rich, car reliability concern and resell value.
2. the brand like Acura or the direction Acura going, it is tricky, it, TLX is less expensive than q50, c300 and other same segement competitors. the reliability would be the most concern. I can say buying and leasing a new acura is half and half.
3. people is always trying to do the thing which is a little bit over his capability or budget. this is why the society can progress. people touches the car around 40K, they do concern the reliability. I thought their real purchase ability is around 35k.
4. as I thought that Acura's direction, better a little than accord, same reliability as Honda brand. trying to attract the people who can afford 35k-40k range. at this group of people, they plan to have longer ownership on investment.
Old 10-05-2016, 02:18 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by CybrRdr
The TLX is somewhere mid-pack... like they have always been. So what the big deal??
That is the problem. They've been stuck being average for the longest time.

They had a 20 year head start in America, but they squandered their opportunities with poor leadership and execution. In less than 10 years, we have the Koreans nipping at their heels with the Genesis and Equus.

With every new model generation, the differentiation between an Acura and a Honda gets smaller and smaller. In many cases, a Honda model will get newer/better tech first before an Acura does. With Honda/Acura, it's trickle up, not trickle down. It's sad. It's embarrassing.

and

Last edited by AZuser; 10-05-2016 at 02:21 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by AZuser:
BEAR-AvHistory (10-05-2016), justnspace (10-05-2016)
Old 10-05-2016, 02:26 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by AZuser

They had a 20 year head start in America, but they squandered their opportunities with poor leadership and execution. In less than 10 years, we have the Koreans nipping at their heels with the Genesis and Equus.

With every new model generation, the differentiation between an Acura and a Honda gets smaller and smaller. In many cases, a Honda model will get newer/better tech first before an Acura does. With Honda/Acura, it's trickle up, not trickle down. It's sad. It's embarrassing.

and
agree. poor leadership and execution. it totally wastes their very good technology fundamental and good reputation accumulated by Honda. it is sad. Acura should learn how Lexus and Infiniti do the business and progress
Old 10-05-2016, 04:27 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
Has it become a monthly thing now? Some insane Nissan trolls show to tell how they ASS-ume that the TLX is either noncompetitive or a bad car in this segment? Of course, they don't know much.

The TLX is a very good car overall and very competitive in this market. There is no serious fault in that product (welcome to 2016 soon 2017) and this is the only offering out of the German world that I considered seriously (and would buy again).

The following 3 users liked this post by Saintor:
07Acuradude (10-06-2016), a35tl (10-05-2016), CheeseyPoofs McNut (10-06-2016)
Old 10-05-2016, 05:14 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AZuser

They had a 20 year head start in America, but they squandered their opportunities with poor leadership and execution. In less than 10 years, we have the Koreans nipping at their heels already surpassing with the Genesis and Equus.

and
Fixed that there for ya.
Old 10-05-2016, 06:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Saintor
Has it become a monthly thing now? Some insane Nissan trolls show to tell how they ASS-ume that the TLX is either noncompetitive or a bad car in this segment? Of course, they don't know much.

The TLX is a very good car overall and very competitive in this market. There is no serious fault in that product (welcome to 2016 soon 2017) and this is the only offering out of the German world that I considered seriously (and would buy again).

....it is a very good thing to be sincerely happy with what you have....glad for you ;-)
Old 10-05-2016, 07:01 PM
Banned

....it is a very good thing to be sincerely happy with what you have....glad for you ;-)
I guess that if you would be sincerely glad with that Nissan and reneck-mobile that you have, you wouldn't be trolling here every month.

Last edited by Saintor; 10-05-2016 at 07:04 PM.
Old 10-05-2016, 07:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
i agree, the gap between the highly reliable and unreliable is tighter than ever. Cars in general are super reliable especially compared to 15-20 years ago. What hurts the reliability numbers is including things like the infotainment system and things that are "confusing" for the technically challenged rather than things that are actually broken.
Old 10-05-2016, 07:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
As a side note to show how much Acura is behind, my wife who has been a die hard RDX person that would not even consider anything else now says when will move on when the lease is up, her 16 RDX while nice the infotainment system is awful and the styling inside of the competition is betting Acura.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:18 PM
Banned

As a side note to show how much Acura is behind, my wife who has been a die hard RDX person that would not even consider anything else now says when will move on when the lease is up, her 16 RDX while nice the infotainment system is awful and the styling inside of the competition is betting Acura.
That's a 2016 new vehicle for god's sake and what you see is what you get. And then she complains? Come on. Here is the cure; divorce her. j/k of couse, but not credible.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 85 Posts
You are definitely in the minority, even seasoned Acura salesmen recognize that the TLX is a step down from the 4G.
Some people just don't have common sense... It is ok...

Trump for President LOLOLOL
Old 10-05-2016, 09:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
That's a 2016 new vehicle for god's sake and what you see is what you get. And then she complains? Come on. Here is the cure; divorce her. j/k of couse, but not credible.
Could be as much as a year old by now. That said it sounds like it was bought based on prior experience with them & just wanting a fresh one without trying out every car that was available. After some seat time then seeing what else is available in the market, maybe through riding in a friends X brand, a rational decision could be made to go elsewhere. Especially if her current car does not seem to be keeping up feature or styling wise.

The 911 never crossed my radar horizon till my daughter bought one & I took some drives in it. Prior to that would have never thought to add it to my to look at list when buying the next new car .
Old 10-05-2016, 09:54 PM
Banned

I guess that if you would be sincerely glad with that Nissan and reneck-mobile that you have, you wouldn't be trolling here every month.

...bla bla bla bla bla bla....
Old 10-05-2016, 09:58 PM
Banned

i agree, the gap between the highly reliable and unreliable is tighter than ever. Cars in general are super reliable especially compared to 15-20 years ago. What hurts the reliability numbers is including things like the infotainment system and things that are "confusing" for the technically challenged rather than things that are actually broken.
My GC has been to the dealer 3-4 times for little things (2 recalls and other couple of small warranty work), technically, if you measure it from Consumer Report standpoint, it has been less reliable than a Toyota, in practice it never left me stranded on the side of the road.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:03 PM
Banned

...bla bla bla bla bla bla....
... troll troll troll troll troll....?
Old 10-05-2016, 10:08 PM
Banned

That is bad.....if they drop the ball on the SUVs as well (the only bright spot in Acura land at the moment) they are finished.

Incidentally, few days ago a 3G owner I know decided to pull the trigger on the new Lincoln MKZ 3.0 Twin Turbo...I asked him if he considered the TLX....basically he replied "are you kidding me??"

Last edited by saturno_v; 10-05-2016 at 10:12 PM.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:09 PM
Banned

... troll troll troll troll troll....?
Why so upset tonight?? Did you see the taillights of a Q50 today?? ahahahah LOL
TacoBello (10-06-2016)
Old 10-06-2016, 05:48 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
It's a bit dated inside for sure. That said - I may consider moving to the next gen RDX in a few years depending on what the re-design looks like. I believe the re-designed models are slated to come out next year. Or I may save 15 grand and get a re-designed CR-V if they improve the ride and noise on their new models.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:14 AM
shenanigans

Received 65 Likes on 36 Posts

Death, taxes, and Saturn trolling the TLX forum at least once a month are pretty much the only things guaranteed in life...
a35tl (10-06-2016)
Old 10-06-2016, 07:19 AM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
Two words - Ignore List.
Old 10-06-2016, 10:38 AM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts
Yep, about once a month this comes up- forum is flooded saying how the TLX sucks and is so lacking and everything out there is better than it. Most everyone bashing it doesn't own one. I know multiple people with TLXs and they all love them. Sure, there are some things that could be improved in my TLX. Nothing too major, but I think most of this will be addressed at MMC. At the end of the day, I'm very happy with my car and that's what matters, not what non-TLX owners have to say about it.
The following 2 users liked this post by atl7:
a35tl (10-07-2016), Nexx (10-06-2016)
Old 10-06-2016, 10:59 AM
Racer

Any of you hate that Acura/Honda took out the double wishbone from TLX comparing to TL. Maybe this is the major thing I hate about TLX other than 9at.
I know people is not driving aggressively in every corner or every moment. But, for me, it is a faith or spirit. I do not like my accord or TL has same front struct as camry or altima.
I want my accord or Tl to have that ability when I need
TacoBello (10-06-2016)
Old 10-06-2016, 11:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by atl7
Most everyone bashing it doesn't own one. I know multiple people with TLXs and they all love them. Sure, there are some things that could be improved in my TLX. Nothing too major, but I think most of this will be addressed at MMC. At the end of the day, I'm very happy with my car and that's what matters, not what non-TLX owners have to say about it.
If people bought it and keep it they are happy with it by definition (unless they get disappointed with time like Keith for example)....in their perspective they took the best option within their budgets.

Quick Reply: TLX: Sept sales numbers