Is the TLX I4 the best deal of recent times?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 04:45 AM
Banned

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Is the TLX I4 the best deal of recent times?

A fully loaded TLX 4 Cyl is around the starting MSRP of the Lexus IS and Audi A4.

I test drove one today and it felt fantastic. The car definitely looks much better in person as well(compare to looking at pictures). I think the TLX is going to be a massive hit. I recommend everyone check out this car in person. A great blend of luxury/sport. Acura definitely need better photographers, the pictures don't do the car justice.
The following 4 users liked this post by Berginyon8:
Acura_Dude (08-17-2014), dysonlu (08-16-2014), echodigital (08-18-2014), Stew4HD (08-16-2014)
Old 08-16-2014, 07:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
I think it has nothing to do with photographers but Acura vehicles in general...they NEVER look as good in photos as they do in real life. Not sure why....but its a well know fact for most of us here.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 112 Posts
Well, the TLX has certainly caught the attention of the Lexus people and the majority of them think it will be a big hit for Acura. And many are talking about how they can't believe how much value there is in the car.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-...ussion-43.html
The following 5 users liked this post by Glashub:
Acura_Dude (08-17-2014), bdwpac81 (08-16-2014), hddnav (08-16-2014), internalaudit (08-16-2014), Ken1997TL (08-16-2014)
Old 08-16-2014, 09:12 AM
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Glashub
Well, the TLX has certainly caught the attention of the Lexus people and the majority of them think it will be a big hit for Acura. And many are talking about how they can't believe how much value there is in the car.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-...ussion-43.html
The TLX looks to compete head-on with the non F-sport Lexus IS. I think Acura has succeeded, since this is where most sales are going to be.

The word the clublexus.com people use to describe the TLX is "attainable," and I agree. In other words, bang for the buck.

I bet a lot of people would love to have a TLX as a great daily driver commute car for those who want more than just a transportation appliance. Sized just right for 2 passengers (4 in a pinch), not too costly, Acura reliability, a touch of sportiness, and a bit of style.

Last edited by hddnav; 08-16-2014 at 09:18 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by hddnav:
a35tl (08-16-2014), Glashub (08-16-2014)
Old 08-16-2014, 09:23 AM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
Aside from possibly other Acuras like the 3G TL Type-S, it's difficult to think of a comparable value in this segment in a long time, that's for sure. IIRC the early Infiniti G sedans were good values, but they weren't very refined. Some of the later SAAB models became excellent values with GM incentives, but that's different and they weren't exactly reliable. (The Aero models were better driver's cars though.)

BTW many cars look better in person than in photos, not just Acuras. I think it's true for the 3 Series, Lexus IS, and all new Cadillacs for example.
The following users liked this post:
Glashub (08-16-2014)
Old 08-16-2014, 10:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 112 Posts
I'm really surprised by the level of genuine excitement over at Club Lexus because some Lexus owners can be snobby. People are really jazzed by not just the value but the drive, the reviews, and what they'd be able to do to car after market. Now that this TLX is out and seeing what Acura has been able to accomplish causes me to feel like my IS is overpriced and that I paid a little more for the "brand". The IS Fsport is superb but it's not a great value. The TLX looks to be superb and a great value. Sounds like Acura has created a new benchmark to me.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:01 AM
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
I think it has nothing to do with photographers but Acura vehicles in general...they NEVER look as good in photos as they do in real life. Not sure why....but its a well know fact for most of us here.
I think it is a combination of both: not too notch photography and the design of Acura vehicles.

Their cars don't usually have bold elements, but rather subtle ones that can only be noticeable to most people when see in person. For instance, the sharpness of the shoulder lines of the TLX really makes a difference but it's usually difficult to perceive with pictures. One detail I like is that one of the shoulder line extends into the taillight -- great attention to details there.

Their photographers/marketing folks can definitely do a better job at emphasizing the best elements and angles of the car and that starts with choosing the right color for the car!
Old 08-16-2014, 01:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Glashub
I'm really surprised by the level of genuine excitement over at Club Lexus because some Lexus owners can be snobby. People are really jazzed by not just the value but the drive, the reviews, and what they'd be able to do to car after market. Now that this TLX is out and seeing what Acura has been able to accomplish causes me to feel like my IS is overpriced and that I paid a little more for the "brand". The IS Fsport is superb but it's not a great value. The TLX looks to be superb and a great value. Sounds like Acura has created a new benchmark to me.
Brand does matter. We have to remember that even when us 'car fans'(probably 1% of the overall buying population) considered Lexus 'boring'.........the real world still viewed Lexus as a top tier Luxury Brand.

That being said,we also must remember even when us car fans bash Acura,the real world still view Acura as an upscale brand. Maybe not on the levels of BMW/MERCEDES, but Acura is not 'competing' with Buick as some haters like to throw out.

SUV'S actually helped Acura's perception. When the real world sees 50,000+ Acura MDXs driving around, it boost the Acura brand image. I think that is the only true weakness of the Germans, their lack of superstar SUVS. Something you need badly in today's lux car market.

The Acura TLX V6 (as good of a deal) as it is, cannot compare(imo) to the IS 350 FSport or the 335I. My friend have a 350 F SPORT and the reviews were right, that's an amazing car. But coming back from a dealer, here is some actual figures among the entry segment(250,328i,C250,A4)

Lexus IS 250-MSRP 37,000ISH
That's a base Lexus. You add another 2500 for navi.
That goes up to around 39,500.+10%(estimated tax,fees etc)

Audi A4-Base around 37,000+10%(another 2-3k for Navi)

I think you are saving anywhere from 4-7 grand with a fully loaded TLX I4.

Now is the new C Class that's coming out better than the I4? I think it is. Is it 10 grand better? I don't know. That's why the TLX is so intriguing in this segment and I think sales will reflect this.
The following 5 users liked this post by Berginyon8:
a35tl (08-16-2014), Acura_Dude (08-17-2014), Glashub (08-16-2014), Monte TLS,MAX (08-16-2014), Stew4HD (08-17-2014)
Old 08-16-2014, 01:22 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,596 Likes on 960 Posts
Originally Posted by Berginyon8
Brand does matter. We have to remember that even when us 'car fans'(probably 1% of the overall buying population) considered Lexus 'boring'.........the real world still viewed Lexus as a top tier Luxury Brand.

That being said,we also must remember even when us car fans bash Acura,the real world still view Acura as an upscale brand. Maybe not on the levels of BMW/MERCEDES, but Acura is not 'competing' with Buick as some haters like to throw out.

SUV'S actually helped Acura's perception. When the real world sees 50,000+ Acura MDXs driving around, it boost the Acura brand image. I think that is the only true weakness of the Germans, their lack of superstar SUVS. Something you need badly in today's lux car market.

The Acura TLX V6 (as good of a deal) as it is, cannot compare(imo) to the IS 350 FSport or the 335I. My friend have a 350 F SPORT and the reviews were right, that's an amazing car. But coming back from a dealer, here is some actual figures among the entry segment(250,328i,C250,A4)

Now is the new C Class that's coming out better than the I4? I think it is. Is it 10 grand better? I don't know. That's why the TLX is so intriguing in this segment and I think sales will reflect this.

Well said! Thanks
Old 08-16-2014, 08:10 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
Originally Posted by Berginyon8

Here here. Maybe Acura will build a TLX version that is more competitive with the IS350 Fsport and the 3 series, but for now the TLX is great for what it is.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:04 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The TLX is the equipment/price ratio I've been waiting for, to be honest.

To be able to get nav, LEDs, backup camera, blind spot indicators, etc for $35k while still being a sport sedan is a real deal.

And to further sweeten the deal, it gets a combined 28 MPG. Phenomenal.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:44 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
why would anyone even buy an ILX now? The TLX is only 3k more.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
Many reasons. Better fuel economy, lower sticker price, lower insurance premiums, smaller dimensions, possibly lower maintenance cost (service, tires, etc). I have a tight garage parking spot and a smaller car would fit better. It is all a matter of trade offs.
Old 08-17-2014, 01:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by adversary
why would anyone even buy an ILX now? The TLX is only 3k more.
It's likely that fewer people would consider the ILX currently but remember it's getting it's MMC and it's value equation could change. I for one prefer a manual transmission and would like to have leather in my car and not have to buy the Technology Package to get it.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:01 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by Quandry
Many reasons. Better fuel economy, lower sticker price, lower insurance premiums, smaller dimensions, possibly lower maintenance cost (service, tires, etc). I have a tight garage parking spot and a smaller car would fit better. It is all a matter of trade offs.
This is what's crazy. The 2.4L TLX actually has the same fuel economy as the 2.0L ILX and better fuel economy than the 2.4L ILX. It probably blows both of them away in terms of performance, too.

I was at a dealership yesterday and I saw a guy with his kids looking at an ILX and inquired about the mileage. They asked about the mileage on the ILX and veered over to looking at the TLX when they were told the mileage on the TLX 4-cylinder.

The interesting thing about this car is that since the V6 has VCM, the highway mileage difference between the 4 and 6-cylinders is only 1 mpg (assuming that's real-world). Since I do a lot of highway driving, this is still pushing me towards a V6 despite the 3 MPG difference in city driving. I still haven't driven a TLX yet, but will want to compare the driving differences in "normal person driving".
Old 08-17-2014, 02:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
I agree with Colin on this one....The ILX is a GREAT little car with an amazing I4 and manual transmission for people who enjoys this combo. For me, being a very very slim guy, I love how I fit in the ILX, it just feels right.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:46 PM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Quandry
I have a tight garage parking spot and a smaller car would fit better. It is all a matter of trade offs.
Same here, and the TLX is probably just to big for me, even though it would be great in most respects. As long as it's not wider than my 2G TSX, I could probably manage it, but the length is a real issue too. It's no coincidence that the ILX seems fairly popular here in downtown Philly, with our tight parking garages, narrow alleys, etc. I wonder how it will be upgraded in the next couple of years.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:13 PM
'07 TL Type-S

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
I think it'd definitely be on most people's radar specifically because it's so well equipped at that price. But that's assuming people know that.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:40 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
I agree with Colin on this one....The ILX is a GREAT little car with an amazing I4 and manual transmission for people who enjoys this combo. For me, being a very very slim guy, I love how I fit in the ILX, it just feels right.
If the next ILX comes with P-AWS and SH-AWD along with the 8 speed DCT, I'd consider it.

Right now it's still too close to a Civic for me to consider one, and the engine is far too weak. (why the 2.4 isn't offered with an automatic is beyond me...but even then a 5 speed is a huge step back).

I was impressed by how much of a set up over the Civic the ILX's interior is, but it's still not enough to consider an ILX. Especially with the TLX right next to it for a few grand more.

I wonder when ILX's redesign is coming. I have another year left before my car's extended service plan/warranty expires. Then I'll make my decision.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by MikeAmmo
If the next ILX comes with P-AWS and SH-AWD along with the 8 speed DCT, I'd consider it.
Acura says that improvements to the drivetrain are coming at MMC. I'd say anything that fits in the engine bay is on the table. IMO, there is NO WAY it'll get SH-AWD. Too heavy, not enough torque in any potential future engine (short of the new Turbo 4) to make it worthwhile. Also, logically, if they didn't put AWD in the TLX, they won't put it in the ILX.

Give it 180-200 HP, the Accord CVT or 8DCT, Jewel Eyes, BSI, FCW, Memory seats, new rims and don't raise the price more than $1000 and it'll be enough to carry this till FMC.
The following users liked this post:
a35tl (08-18-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 01:23 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
Acura says that improvements to the drivetrain are coming at MMC. I'd say anything that fits in the engine bay is on the table. IMO, there is NO WAY it'll get SH-AWD. Too heavy, not enough torque in any potential future engine (short of the new Turbo 4) to make it worthwhile. Also, logically, if they didn't put AWD in the TLX, they won't put it in the ILX.

Give it 180-200 HP, the Accord CVT or 8DCT, Jewel Eyes, BSI, FCW, Memory seats, new rims and don't raise the price more than $1000 and it'll be enough to carry this till FMC.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:30 PM
Suzuka Master

^^And yet it was true! Remember, 'Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our point of view' The way I see it, the ILX is selling fine (as well as 3G Integra sedans did), but with too much discount to achieve this. Adding more content should equalize the dollar/value ratio and make for a better overall vehicle.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
^^And yet it was true! Remember, 'Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our point of view' The way I see it, the ILX is selling fine (as well as 3G Integra sedans did), but with too much discount to achieve this. Adding more content should equalize the dollar/value ratio and make for a better overall vehicle.
Not sure how you can say an economy model with steep discounts that only cracked 2000 units a month 5 times in the past 27 months is doing well.

If its selling about as well as the Integra did; that would suggest neither did very well in the market place. MB's S class that starts at $94K has outsold it for the past 10 months.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 08-18-2014 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory

If its selling about as well as the Integra did; that would suggest neither did very well in the market place.
I said Integra sedans.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:11 PM
Banned

Ok..........so I finally got to test drive one for a extended period of time. I really really like this car.

In terms of the driving, I noticed that I automatically adjusted to the car as oppose to when I was test driving the Lexus IS and BMW 328(I need an initial period of adjustment for those). It felt easier to soothe into the TLX I4 compared to those cars. Felt like it's powerful enough for a daily driver(although can't really test that as well as if I owned the car).

I don't feel like the interior of the TLX is as good as the new IS 250. Don't look as luxurious or sporty. But it's not as if the TLX have a bad interior. Just don't stand out as much. The duel screen was really cool but that's subjective. Nice leg room at the back(I'm 5'11 around 185). I really liked the overall feel of this car and it looks pretty cool(once again subjective).

I still haven't decided on a replacement for my current car(IS250 F SPORT,328I,TLXI4) but the IS 250 F sport will be around 8-9 k more expensive than this TLX and the 328I BMW will be around 10k more expensive. (With similar options)

Since I'm deciding to purchase rather than lease, those numbers mean a lot to me. Obviously if you were leasing.............an extra 20 bucks a month probably won't be a deal breaker.