TLX After 60 Days - Annoyances Acura Should Address (they're not hard fixes)

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014 | 09:08 AM
Racer

TLX After 60 Days - Annoyances Acura Should Address (they're not hard fixes)

After 60 days of ownership there are a few things Acura needs to do immediately (and I hope they do). These are realistic, not unreasonable, and not terribly hard to implement (most can be done via software).

Transmissions:
Many love the 8DCT, I did when I drove it, but many owners have reported jerky hard shifts and a couple that won't stay in gear. Looks like there was one software update for this but they need another.
The 9HP has issues of its own. 1-2 and ESPECIALLY 2-3 are hard shifts. 2-3 can be jarring depending on the circumstances. They could also change the programming to drop a gear in turns or coming out of a turn. I've been doing this manually with the paddle and the car is starting to learn it but it should happen on its own like the 6AT in my MDX. I know Acura is aware of the 2-3 issue, but they need to hurry up with the update.

VCM:
I've seen a couple company vids on this where they acknowledge that there may be a vibration in some cases, some will feel and some won't (basically admitting they engineered a vibration into a $40k car). I'm one, among many other owners who does feel it and it's very annoying. Acura is aware of this problem on TLX according to my dealer. We can turn just about every other feature/nanny off, why not VCM? At the very least update the software to turn it off in IDS Sport mode (it's probably as simple as changing a 1 to a 0 in the firmware). Do it.

Touch screen/heated seats:
In some ways the touch screen is cool, in others it's a hindrance. Heated seats is one way it's a huge hindrance. In my TSX I could leave the physical switch where I wanted it and the seat(s) would come on when I started the car, nothing more to do but wait for the warmth. In the TLX I have to wait for the boot screen to clear, press the seat icon, press the heat level, then press to exit the heated seat screen. 1. Why can't it remember what the setting was when I last drove the car? If I went to work on a 28 degree morning I still want the seat on when it's 38 at lunch. 2. Advance trims have an auto feature. Why can't the other cars? This is another software/firmware thing that could be done fairly easily, copy the code from the Advance trims and omit the part that covers the ventilated seat. *Just because may car has a "cool" touchscreen doesn't mean I want to interact with it unnecessarily.*

Rain sensing wipers:
Acura thought they were doing us a favor here. They weren't. Their function is mediocre. 60% of the time they're on they work well but the other 40% they're either speeding up when the windshield is clear or slowing down just when becomes hard to see. I don't think this is unique to Acura, my boss who owns a Mercedes hates his. But if there's anything to be done software/firmware wise, they should look into it, it has the potential to be dangerous.

Proximity lock:
This would be nice to have but why can't the car lock itself when I walk away from it? It beeps when I walk away with it running so why not lock when it's not running? I'm becoming accustomed to not needing to touch a key or fob for this car, that would make it complete.

Overall I like my TLX, it's nice to be in and nice to drive but I do not love it like I loved my TSX. If they could fix the issues above it would be a different story; and all of those are realistically fixable in the short-term.
The following 9 users liked this post by jeich182:
Davinci547Acura (11-25-2014), George Knighton (11-24-2014), invalidsearch (11-25-2014), ITdude (11-24-2014), Nabooly (12-05-2014), neuronbob (11-24-2014), NJToyMan (11-25-2014), tlxsteve (11-24-2014), Warrior 6 (11-26-2014) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-24-2014 | 09:25 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by jeich182
We can turn just about every other feature/nanny off, why not VCM?
The honest answer is that it would negate the 2105 CAFE results because they wouldn't be able to have the same EPA estimates.

The rules are changing, unfortunately.

When I was looking at the videos associated with my RLX Sport Hybrid, they basically said: Look, some of you are going to notice this. We have computer controlled hydraulic motor mounts designed to mitigate it, but still, some of you are going to notice this, and being able to cruise on 3 cylinders is more important than how you feel about it.

0_0

So there you go.

Thank you for a very thoughtful post, by the way.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (11-24-2014)
Old 11-24-2014 | 09:36 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Rain sensing wipers:
Acura thought they were doing us a favor here. They weren't. Their function is mediocre. 60% of the time they're on they work well but the other 40% they're either speeding up when the windshield is clear or slowing down just when becomes hard to see. I don't think this is unique to Acura, my boss who owns a Mercedes hates his. But if there's anything to be done software/firmware wise, they should look into it, it has the potential to be dangerous.
Good write up.. Since I don't own a TLX I can't comment on most of these issues but I am in full agreement in regards to raining sensing wipers.

This is definitely not an Acura issue. On other vehicles I've owned from MB, Caddy and Lexus raining sensing wipers IMO stink.. They always seem to be confused.

I wish manufacturers would go back to the good old reliable Intermittent Wipers that work on timed intervals. I Have these on my 2011 Accord daily driver and they work perfect.. Sometimes simple is better.
Old 11-24-2014 | 10:28 AM
Burning Brakes

After 60 days of ownership there are a few things Acura needs to do immediately (and I hope they do). These are realistic, not unreasonable, and not terribly hard to implement (most can be done via software).

Transmissions:
Rain sensing wipers:
Proximity lock:

Overall I like my TLX, it's nice to be in and nice to drive but I do not love it like I loved my TSX. If they could fix the issues above it would be a different story; and all of those are realistically fixable in the short-term.
Now that you mention it, I received my TLX two months ago from today! I really enjoy my TLX.

1. I can agree they should fix the transmission issues. Hopefully the ECP update I've heard about becomes common knowledge and the start of a cure. Personally, my transmission is fine.

2. I live in Florida so heated seats aren't used often.

3. The wipers could be adjusted but I can live with its quirkiness.

4. Now the proximity lock is a great idea that I could fully endorse.

Happy second mensiversary!
Old 11-24-2014 | 11:16 AM
Burning Brakes

FYI on my Genesis they'd do random things regularly like start wiping in LA in July when it hasn't rained in a year.
Old 11-24-2014 | 11:30 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by George Knighton
The honest answer is that it would negate the 2105 CAFE results because they wouldn't be able to have the same EPA estimates.

The rules are changing, unfortunately.

When I was looking at the videos associated with my RLX Sport Hybrid, they basically said: Look, some of you are going to notice this. We have computer controlled hydraulic motor mounts designed to mitigate it, but still, some of you are going to notice this, and being able to cruise on 3 cylinders is more important than how you feel about it.

0_0

So there you go.

Thank you for a very thoughtful post, by the way.
Not sure I agree. VCM won't run in Sport+ but the car is not friendly for everyday driving in that mode. If there isn't a mechanical fix, allow VCM to run in ECON and Normal but free up Sport mode for those of us who are bothered by it.
Old 11-24-2014 | 11:33 AM

Transmissions: Aye - I can live with mine (the DCT - it's very smooth when warmed up but can shift a little abruptly when cold) but I suspect we'll see TSB's out in Q1 or Q2 of 2015 to address the current glitches. The DCT is getting rolled out in the new ILX as well so they need to make sure it works well.

VCM: Doesn't Sport+ turn off the VCM? Not that you want to run in Sport+ mode all the time

Touch screen/heated seats: this is more of a design issue (I agree with you - the physical switch is soooo much better) than an issue with the car.

Rain sensing wipers: - Mine work pretty well now that I don't leave them on 24/7. I thought they were supposed to work like the Lights when on Auto - turns out that's not the case

Proximity lock: - this isn't so much an issue but a feature that they don't have - you can't really fault the current car for that.

The Consumer Reports car guys talk a fair bit about problems with first year models - specifically ones that have new drive-trains. Sadly this is the norm and not the exception - turns out it is very challenging to get it right and Acura isn't immune in this area.
Old 11-24-2014 | 11:41 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
Transmissions: Aye - I can live with mine (the DCT - it's very smooth when warmed up but can shift a little abruptly when cold) but I suspect we'll see TSB's out in Q1 or Q2 of 2015 to address the current glitches. The DCT is getting rolled out in the new ILX as well so they need to make sure it works well.

VCM: Doesn't Sport+ turn off the VCM? Not that you want to run in Sport+ mode all the time

Touch screen/heated seats: this is more of a design issue (I agree with you - the physical switch is soooo much better) than an issue with the car.

Rain sensing wipers: - Mine work pretty well now that I don't leave them on 24/7. I thought they were supposed to work like the Lights when on Auto - turns out that's not the case

Proximity lock: - this isn't so much an issue but a feature that they don't have - you can't really fault the current car for that.

The Consumer Reports car guys talk a fair bit about problems with first year models - specifically ones that have new drive-trains. Sadly this is the norm and not the exception - turns out it is very challenging to get it right and Acura isn't immune in this area.
Yeah I just posted about VCM in Sport+.

I'd rather have switches but Acura could achieve the equivalent convenience by implementing either one of my suggestions.

To me the other things are flaws but I understand lack of proximity lock is nothing wrong with the car, that's why I said it would simply be nice to have. If they can trigger a beep when I walk away with it running, they can trigger the door locks after I turn it off and walk away. That would make the keyless experience complete.
Old 11-24-2014 | 11:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

These are realistic, not unreasonable, and not terribly hard to implement (most can be done via software).
Agree it need to be done but it is a significant coordination effort to roll out correctly. It is not like a MS patch Tuesday update.

Transmissions: The 9HP could be smoother on my car but it is not urgent for me.

VCM: No vibration problems here.

Touch screen/heated seats: Works perfectly for me.

Rain sensing wipers: Also works well for me. There are occasional circumstances when it may false wipe but that happens on my MB as well and that car does not have the variable adjustment control.

Proximity lock: No thanks. There are too many circumstantial issues to make this practical.

Bottom line is some cars seem to have issues, and others are fine.
Old 11-24-2014 | 12:01 PM
Senior Moderator

I agree about the Heated Seats.

When I want them, I usually want them at full blast, and will then lower them, but the Auto setting varies the temps they start at, and they aren't on Max unless it's really frigid out!

No problems with VCM, the tranny, or the other things, but I have to say that having had rain sensing wipers on my cars over the last 10 years, I love them.
Just a heads up, but I am the type to constant fiddle with the wipers if I don't have them; turning them off if I'm under an overpass, using "mist" on the highway instead of having the wiper chatter on a windshield that isn't wet enough. Rain sensing wipers were made for me!

As someone with young kids, I do not want, and don't think proximity lock will ever happen.

My issues so far

1. Tires; the sidewalls are the just too soft
2. The heated seat issue as you mentioned
3. The cap-less fuel fill has been weird for me. I couldn't just hit the flap with the nozzle, and have it release. I needed to swirl the nozzle around the outer ring to get the flap to release. (Yes, I know what that sounds like)

The first time I filled up, I gave up, and pulled to the next pump hoping I would have better luck before getting the technique
4. I know the remote gives me feedback, but I would like the parking lights, or headlights to on when started remotely.
5. I wish the engine start/stop required a tiny bit more pedal pressure. I have it figured out, but do on occasion cut the engine unintentionally just to restart a few seconds later.

Thats about it, really loving things so far!
Old 11-24-2014 | 12:09 PM

Transmissions: Aye - I can live with mine (the DCT - it's very smooth when warmed up but can shift a little abruptly when cold)
Sounds like a fluid issue.
on cold start ups, the fluid just doesnt have enough viscosity.
Old 11-24-2014 | 12:25 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Quandry
Agree it need to be done but it is a significant coordination effort to roll out correctly. It is not like a MS patch Tuesday update.

Transmissions: The 9HP could be smoother on my car but it is not urgent for me.

VCM: No vibration problems here.

Touch screen/heated seats: Works perfectly for me.

Rain sensing wipers: Also works well for me. There are occasional circumstances when it may false wipe but that happens on my MB as well and that car does not have the variable adjustment control.

Proximity lock: No thanks. There are too many circumstantial issues to make this practical.

Bottom line is some cars seem to have issues, and others are fine.
You are correct but compared to mechanical fixes with part replacement these aren't bad, that's what I meant.

The seats themsevles work fine, sure. But why have [non-driving] interaction with the car you don't need to? It's still not as simple as one press (or no press) like it would be with a switch (if you kept it on).

I envisioned the proximity lock as an enable/disable setting just like any of the other lock settings (unlock when put in park, etc).

Just because because you're OK with a couple of those things doesn't mean the possibility for them to be there for the rest of us should be taken off the table.
Old 11-24-2014 | 03:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Proximity lock:
This would be nice to have but why can't the car lock itself when I walk away from it? It beeps when I walk away with it running so why not lock when it's not running? I'm becoming accustomed to not needing to touch a key or fob for this car, that would make it complete.
I just posted about this same thing today in the RLX forum. With my Cadi, the car auto-locks when you walk away from it. On the RLX, if I don't use the key fob or touch the lock button on the door handle, the car doesn't lock. WTF?

Some good points you've addressed there. The cold DCT function is a matter of fluid; it takes a little time for the transmission to warm up. That said, I haven't noticed this issues in my RLX sport hybrid. That DCT is pretty darned good. I definitely need to test-drive a TLX I-4 with the DCT....
Old 11-24-2014 | 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by neuronbob
I just posted about this same thing today in the RLX forum. With my Cadi, the car auto-locks when you walk away from it. On the RLX, if I don't use the key fob or touch the lock button on the door handle, the car doesn't lock. WTF?

Some good points you've addressed there. The cold DCT function is a matter of fluid; it takes a little time for the transmission to warm up. That said, I haven't noticed this issues in my RLX sport hybrid. That DCT is pretty darned good. I definitely need to test-drive a TLX I-4 with the DCT....
Interesting that they use a 7 speed DCT with no torque converter in the RLX Sport Hybrid while the TLX gets the 8 speed with torque converter. I wonder why they went without the "smoothing" torque converter on the RLX?
Old 11-24-2014 | 05:32 PM
Drifting

"Touch screen/heated seats:
In some ways the touch screen is cool, in others it's a hindrance. Heated seats is one way it's a huge hindrance. In my TSX I could leave the physical switch where I wanted it and the seat(s) would come on when I started the car, nothing more to do but wait for the warmth. In the TLX I have to wait for the boot screen to clear, press the seat icon, press the heat level, then press to exit the heated seat screen. 1. Why can't it remember what the setting was when I last drove the car? If I went to work on a 28 degree morning I still want the seat on when it's 38 at lunch. 2. Advance trims have an auto feature. Why can't the other cars? This is another software/firmware thing that could be done fairly easily, copy the code from the Advance trims and omit the part that covers the ventilated seat. *Just because may car has a "cool" touchscreen doesn't mean I want to interact with it unnecessarily.*"

Don't you remember the reason for this? Auto reviewers HATE buttons, notwithstanding the advantages you outline in your post. So this is what we get - voila! - no buttons. Now, it just takes 3-4 actions to do what used to take 1 (or none). But whew, fewer buttons.
Old 11-24-2014 | 05:48 PM
Intermediate

Not sure why the heated seat buttons can't be a one-touch adjustment right from the main screen, with the auto feature mentioned above. They could take it one step further and add an option to the settings menu for remembering the last setting (or not).

In the grand scheme of things it doesn't bother me too much, and if it's the biggest issue that comes up during ownership I'll be a happy camper.
tlxsteve (11-24-2014)
Old 11-24-2014 | 06:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Interesting that they use a 7 speed DCT with no torque converter in the RLX Sport Hybrid while the TLX gets the 8 speed with torque converter. I wonder why they went without the "smoothing" torque converter on the RLX?
Because the RLX Hybrid uses the three electric motors to roll the car off the line, eliminating the need for a torque converter to smooth out clutch engagement.
neuronbob (11-24-2014)
Old 11-24-2014 | 08:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Colin beat me to it.
Old 11-25-2014 | 09:44 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by tlxsteve
Now that you mention it, I received my TLX two months ago from today! I really enjoy my TLX.

1. I can agree they should fix the transmission issues. Hopefully the ECP update I've heard about becomes common knowledge and the start of a cure. Personally, my transmission is fine.
What is the ECP update? Searching this forum I see three references to ECP, but none describes what it is or any background on the issue. I assume it's transmission related but would be interested to learn what ECP stands for.
Old 11-25-2014 | 09:49 AM
Instructor

I, too, find the "virtual" seat heater button to be an annoyance because I have to wait for the system to boot up before the switch is even available. On a freezing morning, whether its just psychological or not- EVERY second counts when it comes to getting my seat warm! : )

I also like the idea of the programmable setting for having the doors automatically lock as you walk away.

But, as I am in my 100th day of ownership- I still vote for having Acura fix the Cross Traffic Warning Beep that is STILL not working on thousands of Tech vehicless produced before November 1st!
Old 11-25-2014 | 10:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lsbuffs
What is the ECP update? Searching this forum I see three references to ECP, but none describes what it is or any background on the issue. I assume it's transmission related but would be interested to learn what ECP stands for.
Sorry I meant ECU. Not sure what I was thinking.

I only heard of its existence in this forum. I wish I could prove it first-hand. People that have had it applied say it works to reduce the transmission issues.

Lifting from Wikipedia ...

In automotive electronics, electronic control unit (ECU) is a generic term for any embedded system that controls one or more of the electrical system or subsystems in a motor vehicle. Types of ECU include electronic/engine control module (ECM), powertrain control module (PCm), transmission control module (TCM), brake control module (BCM or EBCM), central control module (CCM), central timing module (CTM), general electronic module (GEM), body control module (BCM), suspension control module (SCM), control unit, or control module. Taken together, these systems are sometimes referred to as the car's computer. (Technically there is no single computer but multiple ones.) Sometimes one assembly incorporates several of the individual control modules (PCM is often both engine and transmission)
Some modern motor vehicles have up to 80 ECUs. Embedded in ECUs continue to increase in line count, complexity, and sophistication. Managing the increasing complexity and number of ECUs in a vehicle has become a key challenge for original equipment manufacturers (OEMs).

Last edited by tlxsteve; 11-25-2014 at 10:35 AM.
Old 11-25-2014 | 03:17 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by NJToyMan
I, too, find the "virtual" seat heater button to be an annoyance because I have to wait for the system to boot up before the switch is even available. On a freezing morning, whether its just psychological or not- EVERY second counts when it comes to getting my seat warm! : )

I also like the idea of the programmable setting for having the doors automatically lock as you walk away.

Amen. My thoughts exactly. Every second counts when you get into a freezing car! The fewer things I have to do or think about when I get in the better!

As for the locks, I love that I can put my hand behind the handle and unlock it as I open the door, one motion. But when you're getting out of the car you take a step away to close the door. You then have to turn around and take a step back toward the car to press the button, then turn around again. Seems trivial, why does this matter? If you don't want to fumble around in your pocket for the key fob you didn't need to unlock or start the car, it's annoying.

These things may seem nit-picky but this is the most expensive car I've ever purchased and at $40,000.00 all of the details should be right and not it's not asking too much. Cars with "lesser" tech. suddenly seem more sorted in comparison.

Last edited by jeich182; 11-25-2014 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-25-2014 | 06:25 PM
a77
Racer

I wouldnt like an auto proximity exit lock - add it for sure - but make it user defeatable. I like leaving my car unlocked in the garage - so if I need to go to it to get something I dont need the key. I love the way the rear doors have lock buttons on the outside. This is so useful.

The heated seat issue Acura Canada tell me is being worked on - I dont expect a button but they should add some user options in the menu system. The heated windshield right now is programmed to come on whwever it is 6 celsius or lower. I have to remember to turn it off every time I drive the car for 6 months of the year. which is silly. Conversely, as mentioned above the heated seats are far too awkward to operate. Should be user programmable - full on for 5 or ten minutes when below a certain temp, (say the aforemention 6 celsius) then at a low setting. Its just software... The heated steering wheel is the best thing since sliced bread. seriously it's a better option than heated seats.

I am finding AHA a bit hit or miss. Sometimes works, sometimes doesnt. Likewise Acuralink. It is very very cool but can't always get any or all data. I have thought maybe the return signal gets bounced by some wifi systems - but just now worked perfectly on wifi so who knows. I have just got a Nexus 5 and then lollipop - see how it goes. I have found using maps on my PC to send addresses works perfectly, as does the concierge system on the one occasion I tried it.

I have used the car down to -20 celsius and found no transmission jerkiness of note.

I use the car in sport mode mostly. ECO is intolerable. Sport+ is nuts - nice to have for track use. Maybe I should see what kind of mileage I can get on a tank always in sport+ - in other words more like a manual. I am not getting close to my TSX MTs mileage yet. I find it lugs a bit at 30-40 mph and so I sometimes change down. Needs a mode between sport and sport +. I'd like it to lock out 8th below 60mph and seventh below 50. I just dont like the lugging at 1200 rpm in these high gears. (BTW I am never happy - I was constantly wishing for a 7th in my MT TSX. 6th was too low.)
Old 11-25-2014 | 10:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by a77
The heated seat issue Acura Canada tell me is being worked on - I dont expect a button but they should add some user options in the menu system. The heated windshield right now is programmed to come on whwever it is 6 celsius or lower. I have to remember to turn it off every time I drive the car for 6 months of the year. which is silly. Conversely, as mentioned above the heated seats are far too awkward to operate. Should be user programmable - full on for 5 or ten minutes when below a certain temp, (say the aforemention 6 celsius) then at a low setting. Its just software... The heated steering wheel is the best thing since sliced bread. seriously it's a better option than heated seats.
I suspect there are two different groups of owners, those with Advance/Elite and then the rest of owners with different models. I am in the first group and the way it works is perfect from me. It comes on automatically, selects an appropriate setting based on outside temperature, and progressively lowers. The heated windshield should have a default setting or not automatically turn on, but so far is not an issue. Will have to gain more experience when the white stuff start here on a regular basis.
Old 11-26-2014 | 08:09 AM
Instructor

They'd have to figure a way around this as well, if someone is still in the car when you "walk away" with the key: (p. 156)

Do not set the security system alarm when someone
is in the vehicle or a window is open. The system can
accidentally activate when:
• Unlocking the door with the lock tab.
• Opening the trunk with the trunk release or the
emergency trunk opener.
• Moving the shift lever* out of (P.
• Opening the hood with the hood release.
Old 11-27-2014 | 09:37 AM
Racer

Use readings from the seat occupancy sensors, a delay, ...? There are ways I'm sure. Other brands have done it.
Old 11-27-2014 | 10:31 AM
Grandpa

...allow VCM to run in ECON and Normal but free up Sport mode for those of us who are bothered by it.
Unfortunately, the days of allowing us to defeat VCM while also allowing the manufacturer to quote an EPA/CAFE mileage as if the VCM were working...well, those days are gone.

Same problem with the stop/start function and the SH-AWD versions.
Old 11-27-2014 | 10:44 AM
Burning Brakes

I believe the heated seat issue could easily be fixed. When I had my 2012 Ford Edge the seats worked through the touch screen as well, when you turned the car off the seats went off and needed turned on through the screen again. They did fix this on the 2013 SHO which I have one as of now, the heated seats will stay on unless you turn them off through the screen, they work with remote start as well. The cooled seats however need to be turned on every time. So I do believe Acura could fix it. Ford does send USB sticks through the mail anytime an update is available and it takes maybe a minute to upload the thing. Maybe Acura will do this, as the Ford ones have fixed quite a few things.

As for the rain sensing wipers, is there no way to turn that feature off? I have owned a few cars/SUVs with that feature and every time there was a physical switch to turn it off. Once it was off it was off unless you turned it back on. Such a crappy feature.
Old 11-27-2014 | 11:18 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Brock79
I believe the heated seat issue could easily be fixed. When I had my 2012 Ford Edge the seats worked through the touch screen as well, when you turned the car off the seats went off and needed turned on through the screen again. They did fix this on the 2013 SHO which I have one as of now, the heated seats will stay on unless you turn them off through the screen, they work with remote start as well. The cooled seats however need to be turned on every time. So I do believe Acura could fix it. Ford does send USB sticks through the mail anytime an update is available and it takes maybe a minute to upload the thing. Maybe Acura will do this, as the Ford ones have fixed quite a few things.

As for the rain sensing wipers, is there no way to turn that feature off? I have owned a few cars/SUVs with that feature and every time there was a physical switch to turn it off. Once it was off it was off unless you turned it back on. Such a crappy feature.
1. I actually like that the seat heaters turn off when the car is shut down, have had many before with the manual switches, just a preference, I guess.

2. The wipers won't do anything if you put the lever in Off. In rain, I've used them just as I've used prior delay sweep wipers, and they did stop a couple times when the rain slowed, but in general they kept sweeping at the delay interval I chose. Hard to even notice a difference. Rain-X s the best solution for me once you get above about 30 mph. No wipers needed!
Old 11-28-2014 | 05:40 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by George Knighton
Unfortunately, the days of allowing us to defeat VCM while also allowing the manufacturer to quote an EPA/CAFE mileage as if the VCM were working...well, those days are gone.

Same problem with the stop/start function and the SH-AWD versions.
VCM won't run in Sport+ (but that's not an everyday friendly mode) and auto start/stop in the SH-AWD is easily defeated with a switch.
Old 11-28-2014 | 08:22 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jim256
They'd have to figure a way around this as well, if someone is still in the car when you "walk away" with the key: (p. 156)

Do not set the security system alarm when someone
is in the vehicle or a window is open. The system can
accidentally activate when:
• Unlocking the door with the lock tab.
• Opening the trunk with the trunk release or the
emergency trunk opener.
• Moving the shift lever* out of (P.
• Opening the hood with the hood release.
My Corvette has auto lock and I really like it. The only problem is it also has a proximity sensor so when you get out at a gas station and your wife is in the car.... But you can turn it off.
Old 11-29-2014 | 09:22 AM
10th Gear

Another problem is the windshield washer filler neck. It is very small and takes a while to fill and there is no protection so if you go over it will spill on mechanic parts.... My 2006 was much better done than this.
Old 11-29-2014 | 09:40 AM
a77
Racer

Just a thought regarding the lights not being on when it is remote started... When you leave the car put the turn signal on. When the car remote starts it'll start flashing...looks odd I know.
Old 11-29-2014 | 11:58 AM
Racer

My 8-spd DCT sure is clunky and jerky at low speeds, especially when accelerating after slowing down in traffic. The slamming around when changing from reverse to drive after backing out of my driveway on a cold start is not good at all. Hopefully a TSB will resolve it? I'm not overly concerned about the transmission breaking because it's a lease car, just the inconvenience to get a tow and a temporary replacement if needed.

On door locks, the "key" never leaves my pocket. I have noticed that, once I push the lock button on the door and my wife lingers with closing her door, the car seems to unlock itself before the final door closing. I sent my grandson ahead once to try and open the door, and by golly it was open. So, force of habit, once my wife is clear of the car and the hatch is down (on the RDX, same issue) I hit the door handle lock button by muscle memory now.

Autolocking would be cool if one was assured that there were no keys within the vicinity of the car, inside or out.
Old 11-30-2014 | 11:40 AM
a77
Racer

This slamming around between forward and reverse must be a fault. My car doesn't do it at all. Never. And the tranny is quirk/jerk free, even at -24. Early Nov delivery.
Old 11-30-2014 | 05:26 PM
Racer

A note on my VCM issue. I had a new RDX Tech as a loaner last week. VCM was completely transparent, how it should be in my TLX. Please fix this, Acura!
Old 12-03-2014 | 07:58 PM
Calgarian

The electric motors take care of smoothing out the gear change hence no need for the torque converter.
Old 12-03-2014 | 08:13 PM
Calgarian

I own the TLX Elite SHAWD with 9 speed. Now that I have lived with the car for almost 4000kms either I'm getting used to it or it is getting use to me as the car is now doing what I need it to do and when. I agree that Acura should try to make all gear changes feel the same but I gotta say I love how relaxed this car can get on the highway. I would also like to see a change to the Sport +set up. The tranny works great in Sport + offering rev matched downshifts while slowing down and good throttle response. The problem is when you start to mess with the paddles you cannot get back to automode unless you scroll through the IDS modes. I would like to see a system in Sport + like Mercedes where you can paddle shift back into auto.
tlxsteve (12-03-2014)
Old 12-04-2014 | 05:39 AM
Suzuka Master

In the TLX I have to wait for the boot screen to clear, press the seat icon, press the heat level, then press to exit the heated seat screen. 1. Why can't it remember what the setting was when I last drove the car? If I went to work on a 28 degree morning I still want the seat on when it's 38 at lunch.
Rain sensing wipers:
Acura thought they were doing us a favor here. They weren't. Their function is mediocre. 60% of the time they're on they work well but the other 40% they're either speeding up when the windshield is clear or slowing down just when becomes hard to see.
I agree on the heated seats. Basic temp/seat controls should remain physical buttons that you can hit immediately. My A6 will remember the heated/vented setting for the drive only, which is good if a passenger sets it an then you don't have to remember to turn their seat off next time.

As for the wipers, on my M37S they worked virtually flawlessly 99%. On my A6 pretty darn close as well other than they annoyingly come on in daylight some times, suspect dust of way light hits the sensor as it is sometime on same road on way home.

I think some problem is Acura is just now implementing some tech that others have had for a generation or 2 so they are still working the kinks out of their 1.0 implementations, such as with the tranny, dual screens and such.
Old 12-04-2014 | 07:27 AM
Instructor

Acura should have a product cycle of 2 years. First one to let the buyers find the flaws ,
second year to design the new car. finally end up with a 300HP RWD sedan a pinnacle
of automotive achievement of 21th century.

Quick Reply: TLX After 60 Days - Annoyances Acura Should Address (they're not hard fixes)