TLX After 60 Days - Annoyances Acura Should Address (they're not hard fixes)

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2014 | 07:58 AM
Advanced

I too find the seat warmer controls a minor inconvenience, but nonetheless annoying.

As I posted in another thread, the multi-information display between the tachometer and speedometer appears too bright. I'm adjusting to it, but it still seems "cheap."

One thing I'm a bit perplexed by is the inability to turn off the headlights. I think having the auto on-off is a great safety feature, but not being able to turn them of at all seems a bit big-brother to me. (Or, is this another one of those things I've not yet figured out?)
Old 12-04-2014 | 08:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

Sometimes I wonder if I have the same car as people with the problem postings. Yes I have an Elite which has some enhancements.

The seat warmer and controls are ideal for me. Set it once and forget about after that. They turn on automatically and will adjust from the maximum setting as the car warms up.

I have no problem with the MIDI day or night. Maybe my eyesight is going.

The headlights and daytime running lights are automatic. The only time that I fiddle with it is when I have parked in my underground spot. The courtesy lights (DRL) come on when the engine is tuned off and I do not need the lights so turn them off. The control spring back into Auto position. Bottom line is engine on = lights on. No shady deals or surveillance activities at night where I need the engine running but lights turned off.
Old 12-04-2014 | 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Pocketman
I too find the seat warmer controls a minor inconvenience, but nonetheless annoying.
It's even more annoying when you want to turn both your seat on and your wifes seat on - and you're going from store to store doing shopping. It gets to be a pain.

And yes - I realize this is a First World Problem!
The following users liked this post:
a77 (12-04-2014)
Old 12-04-2014 | 10:05 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

As I posted in another thread, the multi-information display between the tachometer and speedometer appears too bright. I'm adjusting to it, but it still seems "cheap."

One thing I'm a bit perplexed by is the inability to turn off the headlights. I think having the auto on-off is a great safety feature, but not being able to turn them of at all seems a bit big-brother to me. (Or, is this another one of those things I've not yet figured out?)
Are you referring to the DRL's or headlights that you can't turn off?
Old 12-04-2014 | 10:18 AM
a77
Racer

Originally Posted by Quandry
Sometimes I wonder if I have the same car as people with the problem postings. Yes I have an Elite which has some enhancements.

The seat warmer and controls are ideal for me. Set it once and forget about after that. They turn on automatically and will adjust from the maximum setting as the car warms up.

I have no problem with the MIDI day or night. Maybe my eyesight is going.

The headlights and daytime running lights are automatic. The only time that I fiddle with it is when I have parked in my underground spot. The courtesy lights (DRL) come on when the engine is tuned off and I do not need the lights so turn them off. The control spring back into Auto position. Bottom line is engine on = lights on. No shady deals or surveillance activities at night where I need the engine running but lights turned off.
Only the highest trim levels get the auto seat heaters - the manual actually says you can voice control them to auto...but needless to say doesnt happen. And yes, its double the deal when there is two of you, and unlike proper buttons they can't even be turned on at the same time. In the scale of world issues it is minor....but still irritating. Do see why it is so hard to get right. In the Pilot they have proper buttons but they don't stay in the on position when you switch the car off, so every time you drive it (here) you have to manually switch them on. Unlike the questionably beneficial heated windshield which comes on automatically every time you start the car and there is nothing you can do about it. Apart from switch it off every time. So every time you drive the car you go through this rigmarole of activate heated seat display, set driver seat temo, activate again for passenger, set passenger temp, turn off heated shield, crash car as too busy looking at dash. OK should do all this before moving, but all is totally unnecessary...or should be.
Old 12-04-2014 | 10:18 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
It's even more annoying when you want to turn both your seat on and your wifes seat on - and you're going from store to store doing shopping. It gets to be a pain.

And yes - I realize this is a First World Problem!
Sure. Again, **just because the car has a 'cool' touch screen doesn't mean I want to interact with it any more than I have to or more than another car in the class that doesn't have one**. When we get into a freezing car we want to know the warmth is immediately on the way while we clench our hands together with the next and only thing we want to do is just start driving to get where we're going and get the car/heat warmed up!
CheeseyPoofs McNut (12-04-2014)
Old 12-04-2014 | 10:28 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by JT4
Are you referring to the DRL's or headlights that you can't turn off?
I've only had the car a couple of weeks, but may have run across the option to turn off the DRLs. I'm actually referring to the headlights themselves.
Old 12-04-2014 | 11:58 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

I've only had the car a couple of weeks, but may have run across the option to turn off the DRLs. I'm actually referring to the headlights themselves.
Got it... Strange that you can't turn the headlights off.. I don't have a TLX but in my TL, MDX's and other cars that had auto headlights you could of course adjust the setting to off and the headlights would only go on if I manually turned them on.. I'm sure I'm not telling you anything new.

If the manual says they can be turned off manually, it may be time for a dealer visit.
Old 12-04-2014 | 04:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Besides the heated seats, the gas cap remains an annoyance for me as I have to fiddle a bit before the nozzle will go in.

This was a solution to a problem no one cared about, and it's not so smooth. Hopefully things loosen up as it gets used more and more.
Old 12-04-2014 | 04:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mr Hyde
Hopefully things loosen up as it gets used more and more.
I think you stated a law of physics.

I had a difficult time getting it in the first time, but subsequent times prove much easier.
Old 12-04-2014 | 05:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

^^ Or the law of nature!
tlxsteve (12-04-2014)
Old 12-04-2014 | 07:57 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mr Hyde
Besides the heated seats, the gas cap remains an annoyance for me as I have to fiddle a bit before the nozzle will go in.

This was a solution to a problem no one cared about, and it's not so smooth. Hopefully things loosen up as it gets used more and more.
After 5 months, mine is still an issue from time to time. I agree with your "solution" comment. No rhyme or reason to when it goes in easy as opposed to when it doesn't. Have tried many techniques including insertion timing.

Really got pissed first time this happened, tried 3 pumps at one station trying to figure out the issue, none would work. Drove to another station down street and couldn't get nozzle pass the trap door in filler neck. Tried 2nd pump and went directly in. Car was new and I was about 300 miles from any type of car dealer, got a little scared there for a few minutes, especially since I had about 1/8 tank of gas. I was standing there thinking what's going on here? If it had not worked the last time, I had already decided I would force the nozzle past the trap door and hopefully the car would run long enough to get to an Acura dealer and let them solve the problem.

Have you also noticed that rain will run down the car body directly into the opening??? Just wonder how much water is getting into the tank.

Last edited by Davinci547Acura; 12-04-2014 at 08:00 PM.
Old 12-04-2014 | 08:09 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Davinci547Acura
Have you also noticed that rain will run down the car body directly into the opening??? Just wonder how much water is getting into the tank.
Compared to the Lexus IS roof rail dripping water on me when I open the door, the TLX gas filler letting that happen is a real design flaw...
Old 12-04-2014 | 08:12 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ Or the law of nature!
..or the law of love
tlxsteve (12-04-2014)
Old 12-04-2014 | 08:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 4WDrift
Compared to the Lexus IS roof rail dripping water on me when I open the door, the TLX gas filler letting that happen is a real design flaw...
...another advantage of not driving my car in the rain (lmao)
Old 12-04-2014 | 08:50 PM
Calgarian

Originally Posted by jeich182
A note on my VCM issue. I had a new RDX Tech as a loaner last week. VCM was completely transparent, how it should be in my TLX. Please fix this, Acura!
The VCM works unnoticed in my TLX although in my 2014 RDX I can feel a very slight vibration when at very low RPM and under a very light load. My Son's 2013 C350 has more vibration from the engine regardless of rpm.
Old 12-04-2014 | 08:55 PM
Calgarian

Originally Posted by jeich182
Sure. Again, **just because the car has a 'cool' touch screen doesn't mean I want to interact with it any more than I have to or more than another car in the class that doesn't have one**. When we get into a freezing car we want to know the warmth is immediately on the way while we clench our hands together with the next and only thing we want to do is just start driving to get where we're going and get the car/heat warmed up!
The Elite seats have auto temp control in Canada.
Old 12-04-2014 | 08:55 PM
Burning Brakes

No. I did not. Thanks for the warning.

If it is raining, I pull under the roof but I should watch before I open the gas cap door.
Old 12-04-2014 | 10:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

None, if you don't open in direct rain.

You know, I really feel it for you, but you really need to cut your losses and trade the car for something else that will make you content. When one becomes disillusioned, just like a bad marriage, swift action prevents continuation or worsening of the antagonistic relationship.
Stew4HD (12-05-2014)
Old 12-04-2014 | 11:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Can't say I noticed that, but the gas stations around here are typically covered.

For the nozzle, I figured out that inserting the nozzle while aiming towards the back of the car, then angling forward worked every time. It's all plastic, so hopefully a few more uses allows the mechanism to move more freely.
Old 12-05-2014 | 06:06 AM
Suzuka Master

None, if you don't open in direct rain.

You know, I really feel it for you, but you really need to cut your losses and trade the car for something else that will make you content. When one becomes disillusioned, just like a bad marriage, swift action prevents continuation or worsening of the antagonistic relationship.
It's what I did with eh GS350 I had. Instead of waiting for things to get worse, I got rid of it. Once the honeymoon is over and one begins to dislike the car... either find a way to fix things or cut the losses. Of course he may feel trapped into it via loan/lease agreements.
Old 12-05-2014 | 12:15 PM
Instructor

Sad to see that they still haven't solved their shifting issues. I don't own a TLX, but my TL's 1-2 lower speed shifts are also clunky.
Old 12-14-2014 | 10:52 AM
Calgarian

Originally Posted by Ian Andrews
I own the TLX Elite SHAWD with 9 speed. Now that I have lived with the car for almost 4000kms either I'm getting used to it or it is getting use to me as the car is now doing what I need it to do and when. I agree that Acura should try to make all gear changes feel the same but I gotta say I love how relaxed this car can get on the highway. I would also like to see a change to the Sport +set up. The tranny works great in Sport + offering rev matched downshifts while slowing down and good throttle response. The problem is when you start to mess with the paddles you cannot get back to automode unless you scroll through the IDS modes. I would like to see a system in Sport + like Mercedes where you can paddle shift back into auto.
I'm learning more about this car everyday. Found out by hitting the drive button while in sport + will put the tranny back into automode after using the paddles. Also had an issue with the engine auto stop when parking. Pulling into a parking spot the engine shuts down shift into park the engine starts. Now I pull the parking brake and shut the engine off without putting it into park.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ian Andrews:
Quandry (12-14-2014), SideStep (12-15-2014)
Old 12-15-2014 | 03:04 AM
Instructor

One software change I'd like to see is to the fresh air/recirculate button. If it's on fresh air, and I press the button, what's the necessity of generating a pop up for me to then have to make yet another choice to press recirculate? Why not just immediately toggle to the opposite airflow?

Seems like an "unnecessary click" to me.
tlxsteve (12-15-2014)
Old 12-15-2014 | 08:57 AM
Grandpa

At least your headlights didn't get recalled.

o_0
Old 12-18-2014 | 09:17 PM
Instructor

This is an excellent post. I just took delivery of my TLX today and as picky as I am, I'm sure I'll have a list of my own soon. However, I won't be persuaded to trade, as this is car #4 in 8 months. I'm tired and I'm riding this one until the wheels fall off!
Old 12-18-2014 | 10:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

^^ There must be an interesting story there, 4 in 8 months?
Old 12-18-2014 | 10:46 PM
Instructor

^^ There must be an interesting story there, 4 in 8 months?
Traded a garbage '13 Elantra Coupe for a 13' Accord Coupe w/ 50 miles on it (SCORE!) in March 2014. Totaled it one month later in April 2014. Never even made the first payment! Leased TSX May 2014 (insert another incredible life change here) ... and here we are at the TLX in December. Looking forward to some normalcy and maybe making it to a second oil change?
Old 12-19-2014 | 06:10 AM
Suzuka Master

^^ Were you having too much of your "Acurazine name" when you totalled your Accord coupe? *LMAO* Sorry...just couldn't resist.
The following 2 users liked this post by weather:
crownr0yal (12-19-2014), tlxsteve (12-19-2014)
Old 12-19-2014 | 07:28 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by George Knighton
At least your headlights didn't get recalled.

o_0
...yet. I bet it is coming though. Most likely the same manufacurer as RLX.
Old 12-19-2014 | 07:37 AM
Azine Jabroni

Originally Posted by weather
^^ Were you having too much of your "Acurazine name" when you totalled your Accord coupe? *LMAO* Sorry...just couldn't resist.
I hate that I giggled at that
weather (12-19-2014)
Old 12-19-2014 | 03:41 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by weather
LOLLLLLL no, thank God!