Thinking about trading in my '15 TLX. Need some info.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2021, 12:44 PM
D18
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thinking about trading in my '15 TLX. Need some info.

So I'm not really in a position to buy a brand new car, and I've been having a couple of issues with my '15. I'm thinking about purchasing a '18 TLX SH-AWD Advance, and I wanted some help distinguishing some differences. So I'm thinking about getting an '18 because it is in the price range I can easily afford, and it has the features I want. My greatest concern is not knowing the difference between the '18, '19, and '20.

I know they're all roughly the same, but that the wheels changed a bit from '18 to '19. Is there any other features that changed on the car? I guess I don't want to get an '18, and then realize that I should have gotten a '19 or '20. My car right now is having some issues with the idle stop, where it won't start back up after taking my foot off the brake. It will try, but then stall. I have a claim with Honda right now to figure it out because I find it unsafe, and I've almost been rear ended many times. Also the car will disconnect my phone mid call, and then reconnect it randomly. I've also had an issue where after ending a call, the car will still think the call is on, and everything will be frozen and I can't operate anything. I have to restart the car for the problem to go away.

I truly love my car, but wish it had a heated steering wheel, and some of the new safety features. I also love the V2 infotainment, and the lock/unlock capability on the rear doors. The auto lock when you walk away (saw that on a '20, not sure if it's on the '18) is also nice. Due to the plans my wife and I have in the next 5 years, I need this car to last me at least that, if not longer. I just don't see being able to deal with my '15 for that long.

We'll be buying my wife a new SUV in a couple of years, and I want to be able to get whatever she wants. I'm more than happy with the '18 for now. I'd be keeping my '15 for a long time if it had a few more features, and didn't have its issues. My plan is 3-4 years after getting the SUV, ill get a Type S TLX. The purpose of this post is more to figure out the differences between the '18 and the '19/'20. Any insight on why I should get a '19 or '20 versus an '18 would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you know any issues with the '18 (other than the quirky transmission) that would be helpful. As far as I know, they fixed many issues on the '18 from the '15, '16, and '17.

Thanks in Advance! Pun intended, lol.

Old 01-17-2021, 10:55 PM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Go with a 2018 A-Spec

I have a 2018 A-Spec V6 and I love it. Was recently looking at a 530e and for the life of me I couldn’t pull the trigger. I originally leased mine but since I was way under mileage I just bought it out, very easy process. I generally pull 30+ on the highway.

While the Advanced would get me power folding mirrors and a heated steering wheel I can live without those. The sound system is a love hate relationship but I have found it hard to find anything that comes close.

The only issues I have had are a blown subwoofer, a rattle from the sunroof and some peeling of the clear bra. All were repaired under warranty. The transmission is a little harsh in cold weather but is buttery smooth once warmed up.

I have white with red leather. Tinted windows and red caliber covers. I get compliments on it all the time.

When the time comes I am going to put better tires on it.

Old 01-17-2021, 11:28 PM
D18
10th Gear

[QUOTE=bmconway89511;16680427]I have a 2018 A-Spec V6 and I love it. Was recently looking at a 530e and for the life of me I couldn’t pull the trigger. I originally leased mine but since I was way under mileage I just bought it out, very easy process. I generally pull 30+ on the highway.

While the Advanced would get me power folding mirrors and a heated steering wheel I can live without those. The sound system is a love hate relationship but I have found it hard to find anything that comes close.

The only issues I have had are a blown subwoofer, a rattle from the sunroof and some peeling of the clear bra. All were repaired under warranty. The transmission is a little harsh in cold weather but is buttery smooth once warmed up.

I have white with red leather. Tinted windows and red caliber covers. I get compliments on it all the time.

Gorgeous car! I do love the styling of the A-Spec, but I really want the luxury features of the Advance. I already have the A-Spec wheels which I'll put on the '18, and was thinking about swapping the rear bumper and exhaust to match the A-Spec. Unfortunately one of the major reasons I want to upgrade is for the heated steering wheel. Haha. I know that sounds crazy.
Old 01-18-2021, 09:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
Specifically referring to the Advance trim level, I believe the only difference in the '18s and '19s is the upgraded wheel and tire package on the '19. For the '20 Advance, they eliminated the FWD option so all '20 Advance trim levels will be SH-AWD.
Old 01-18-2021, 09:17 AM
D18
10th Gear

Thank you! Thats great information! I really appreciate it!
Old 01-19-2021, 06:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 549 Likes on 355 Posts
Originally Posted by D18
So I'm not really in a position to buy a brand new car, and I've been having a couple of issues with my '15. I'm thinking about purchasing a '18 TLX SH-AWD Advance, and I wanted some help distinguishing some differences. So I'm thinking about getting an '18 because it is in the price range I can easily afford, and it has the features I want. My greatest concern is not knowing the difference between the '18, '19, and '20.

I know they're all roughly the same, but that the wheels changed a bit from '18 to '19. Is there any other features that changed on the car? I guess I don't want to get an '18, and then realize that I should have gotten a '19 or '20. My car right now is having some issues with the idle stop, where it won't start back up after taking my foot off the brake. It will try, but then stall. I have a claim with Honda right now to figure it out because I find it unsafe, and I've almost been rear ended many times. Also the car will disconnect my phone mid call, and then reconnect it randomly. I've also had an issue where after ending a call, the car will still think the call is on, and everything will be frozen and I can't operate anything. I have to restart the car for the problem to go away.

I truly love my car, but wish it had a heated steering wheel, and some of the new safety features. I also love the V2 infotainment, and the lock/unlock capability on the rear doors. The auto lock when you walk away (saw that on a '20, not sure if it's on the '18) is also nice. Due to the plans my wife and I have in the next 5 years, I need this car to last me at least that, if not longer. I just don't see being able to deal with my '15 for that long.

We'll be buying my wife a new SUV in a couple of years, and I want to be able to get whatever she wants. I'm more than happy with the '18 for now. I'd be keeping my '15 for a long time if it had a few more features, and didn't have its issues. My plan is 3-4 years after getting the SUV, ill get a Type S TLX. The purpose of this post is more to figure out the differences between the '18 and the '19/'20. Any insight on why I should get a '19 or '20 versus an '18 would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you know any issues with the '18 (other than the quirky transmission) that would be helpful. As far as I know, they fixed many issues on the '18 from the '15, '16, and '17.

Thanks in Advance! Pun intended, lol.

Your interior is in great shape, I love that color combo. But yeah for me I wish they had the Advance + A-Spec packages here but if I had to choose I am going A-Spec, as I prefer the sporty touches (but you lose some great options, so dumb).

Originally Posted by bmconway89511
I have a 2018 A-Spec V6 and I love it. Was recently looking at a 530e and for the life of me I couldn’t pull the trigger. I originally leased mine but since I was way under mileage I just bought it out, very easy process. I generally pull 30+ on the highway.

I love your ride and I am actually looking at this same exact car. There are some crazy deals around me on gently used ones and I am ready for something else and while I hold on to my cars forever my next one may be more of an in between car and for the money this would be a great option.
Old 01-24-2021, 04:10 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I have a '16 tech. New 18" wheels and tires, a chrome blackout, and adding an A-Spec spoiler completely changed the look of the car and personalized it to my tastes. As for creature comforts, I added remote start and a heated A-spec steering wheel, and Android Auto via a GROM V-Line. There's not much left I don't have except adaptive cruise control and automatic braking. My seats don't come on with the remote start, though, like an Advance would. If you can sort out the troubles with the car, spending some money on upgrades would be far less expensive than a new ride. On the other hand, if you feel this one has "run its course," then onward and upward!
Old 01-26-2021, 12:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 118 Posts
I used to work for Acura dealer so know a lot of differences in features and such. I currently own a 2015 TLX SH-AWD Advance.

For as far as differences between 18,19,and 20 only difference in the advance pkg is the wheels are different for the 2018 year.

As you know, the 18-20 gives a lot of different features (car play, 360 camera, power folding mirrors, heated rear seats, etc.)

As far as tranny, some 2015s had issues (mine does not) but 2018 doesn't have any "known" issues over the 19 or 20.

Personally, if I were you, I would keep your TLX. Yes, rear door entry and other features are cool, but worth trading your car in and spending 5,000-10,000 in difference on a similar car you only plan to keep for a few years?

Regarding the auto start, I had a similar issue, the car would struggle to restart and stalled a couple times. That was fixed with a brand new battery, no issues.

Personally, IF I were to trade my TLX in for a 18-20, the ONLY reason would be to get the Aspec.

best of luck!
Old 01-27-2021, 05:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 388 Likes on 227 Posts
Had a 2017 TLX V6 fwd (same white and expresso interior which is super nice) and went to the 2018 v6 A-Spec AWD. For me the biggest change was AWD. If you are ok with the trans behavior on your current car outside of appearance I don't think you will notice much difference. The 18 a-spec is a much sportier look. Outside of the A-Spec appearance package I don't think you will be upgrading much. The 2015-2017 was pretty bland appearance wise. For me the biggest difference in the 18 was getting the sh-awd which was great but you already have it. The trans was fairly laggy on my 2018 until I installed the muzzler which made a big difference. Trade in my 18 tlx a-spec with under 30k miles after 3+ years and it's on the lot at a little over 28K for price reference.
Old 01-31-2021, 06:40 PM
D18
10th Gear

Originally Posted by spoiler900
I used to work for Acura dealer so know a lot of differences in features and such. I currently own a 2015 TLX SH-AWD Advance.

For as far as differences between 18,19,and 20 only difference in the advance pkg is the wheels are different for the 2018 year.

As you know, the 18-20 gives a lot of different features (car play, 360 camera, power folding mirrors, heated rear seats, etc.)

As far as tranny, some 2015s had issues (mine does not) but 2018 doesn't have any "known" issues over the 19 or 20.

Personally, if I were you, I would keep your TLX. Yes, rear door entry and other features are cool, but worth trading your car in and spending 5,000-10,000 in difference on a similar car you only plan to keep for a few years?

Regarding the auto start, I had a similar issue, the car would struggle to restart and stalled a couple times. That was fixed with a brand new battery, no issues.

Personally, IF I were to trade my TLX in for a 18-20, the ONLY reason would be to get the Aspec.

best of luck!
Thanks for the help! I had brought the car in last winter for the same issue, and they replaced the battery. The idle stop didn't stall anymore, but after 6 months or so, it started giving me the same issues. Either way, the idle stop just feels different on the 18s versus the 15. When the idle stop starts the car back up on my 15, its like I'm manually starting the car when I first get in it. On the 18s the idle start kicks the engine on rapidly and you barely miss a beat.

I prefer the Advance over the A-Spec due to the features, but what is your reason for wanting the A-Spec over the Advance? Other than nicer, sportier styling cues, what benefits does it have? Are there any performance upgrades?

I have illuminated door sills on my 15, and was going to take them out to put in the 18. When I looked up the part numbers, they are different, however. Do you know if the 15-17 illuminated door sills will work on the 18-20 TLXs?

I will probably keep this 18 TLX longer than a few years, and possible will run it into the ground.
Old 01-31-2021, 06:46 PM
D18
10th Gear

Originally Posted by TrickVert
I have a '16 tech. New 18" wheels and tires, a chrome blackout, and adding an A-Spec spoiler completely changed the look of the car and personalized it to my tastes. As for creature comforts, I added remote start and a heated A-spec steering wheel, and Android Auto via a GROM V-Line. There's not much left I don't have except adaptive cruise control and automatic braking. My seats don't come on with the remote start, though, like an Advance would. If you can sort out the troubles with the car, spending some money on upgrades would be far less expensive than a new ride. On the other hand, if you feel this one has "run its course," then onward and upward!
Thanks for the advice. Gorgeous car! Your heated seats should come on when remote starting the car, as long as its the factory remote start. I added it to my 15 Tech, and when below 40 degrees out, the heated seats do come on. They just don't stay on after getting in the car, like the Advance does (when in "auto").

How did you add the A-Spec heated steering wheel? It sounds like we have the same car (tech package), but yours is just a 16 versus my 15. I'm wondering if I could put that steering wheel in my car. I really do want the heated steering wheel.
The following users liked this post:
TrickVert (02-02-2021)
Old 02-02-2021, 08:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
From an enthusiast standpoint, go for it!

From a "Take a step back and evaluate" perspective:

2015 TLX traded in on a 2018 TLX will mean you will owe money for the upgrade. Used car sales are hot right now so you'll get something OK on trade value, but won't be able to budge on price much.
2015 TLX MMR is $13,700.
2018 TLX MMR is 24,500.

That's about 11K right there that'll pretty much vanish in the next 3 years as the 18 will depreciate way faster than the 15. The facelift TL is priced much higher than previous facelift years.

$11K is a bunch of money to spend "needlessly" when you can get your 2015's issues fixed and run it into the ground. Also 15 and 18 TLX has the same trans so if you have shifting issues and can get a rebuilt trans from acura it'll be the same as a 2018 transmission. The issue may reappear or may be gone. Same can happen with the 2018 TLX you buy used.

or

if you can't get the issue fixed get into a TLX-S once they are out.
New car sales are VERY slow and Acura may be offering loyalty incentives along with other incentives to get used cars and sell new cars. You could honestly get into a 2G TLX advance for a steal if you find the right dealer and out of the 2015 TLX you have. 2015 TLX resale is pretty much going to flatline soon vs the 18 which is still dropping. If there's not enough power, use the Civic Type R turbo and k-tuner kit and you'll have lots more HP.

EDIT: If you want to really upgrade, get into a used 340xi or 535/540xi and smile every time you drive. Be sure to get a warranty!

Last edited by csmeance; 02-02-2021 at 09:00 PM.
Old 02-02-2021, 11:01 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by D18
Thanks for the advice. Gorgeous car! Your heated seats should come on when remote starting the car, as long as its the factory remote start. I added it to my 15 Tech, and when below 40 degrees out, the heated seats do come on. They just don't stay on after getting in the car, like the Advance does (when in "auto").

How did you add the A-Spec heated steering wheel? It sounds like we have the same car (tech package), but yours is just a 16 versus my 15. I'm wondering if I could put that steering wheel in my car. I really do want the heated steering wheel.
I appreciate the compliment! As I understand it, only the Advance with its automatic heated seats turns them on with remote start, since there's no temperature sensor to turn them on.

The 2018-2020 heated steering wheel kit requires only a wiring modification to work in the 2015-2017. There's a write-up post in another TLX forum I used as a basis and added to. I don;t think AZ lets us cross post, though.

Old 02-02-2021, 11:40 PM
Advanced

I just re-read your post. I'm almost certain my seats don't come on, but will have to try it and pay specific attention. Oddly enough the wheel *does* activate with the remote start.

Old 02-07-2021, 09:23 AM
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by a35tl
Specifically referring to the Advance trim level, I believe the only difference in the '18s and '19s is the upgraded wheel and tire package on the '19. For the '20 Advance, they eliminated the FWD option so all '20 Advance trim levels will be SH-AWD.
There seemed go be MUCH LESS Advance 20 MY available than previous MY. Did Acura build much less TLX Advance in 2020 vs other years? Or did Covid impact production of Advance?

I had really wanted a 2020 Advance when Acura was giving incredible closeout deals in 3Q2020, but my entire region was out of 2020 Advance (local dealers couldn't get it), and CPOs were overpriced vs the incredible deals available on other new 2020 trims.
Old 03-31-2021, 12:00 AM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Excellent source for year-by-year comparisons

Probably the best way to get accurate comparison of content changes by model year is the manufactures’ own sales brochures.

An excellent site for really good .PDFs of car brochures is:

https://www.auto-brochures.com/acura.html

This link takes you to the Acura list, which is extremely well populated, but as you can also see at the top of the page, virtually every other manufacturer’s literature is also available.

Since these are the full brochures, the easiest way to compare is to download the model year(s) in question and just print out the detailed listing of what is included as standard or optional on each model variant. That way you only need to print 2 or 3 pages from each brochure, making Line-by-line comparisons pretty easy.

good luck! I’m also waiting for the TSX Type S to show up.
The following 2 users liked this post by Legend...ary:
frack (03-31-2021), TrickVert (03-31-2021)
Old 03-31-2021, 10:29 PM
Adept Acura Enthusiast

Received 374 Likes on 249 Posts
If I recall, OP ended up getting a 2019 TLX V6 Advanced a week or two ago. OP posted about the trade in and the new TLX on Reddit in the Acura Subreddit looks nice too!
Old 04-04-2021, 11:16 AM
6th Gear

The problem with the idle-stop is that the battery that Acura puts in the cars cant recover to 12v fast enough after they get some age. I had this issue as well on my 15 TLX Advanced V6 and also had the battery replaced under warranty about 18 months. After replacement, the idle-stop behaved for a while, but the stalling issues returned after about 9 months.

A friend of mine is an Acura Technician and he diagnosed the core problem after a few times looking at it closely.
Your options are...
1. Buy an expensive aftermarket battery that can recover to 12v fast enough
2. Try to remember to turn off the idle-stop each time to avoid the issue (what I did for my 2015 TLX, what a pain)
3. Buy the "Idlestopper" that effectively reverses the default state of the idle-stop from on to off (this is what I did for my 2020 TLX)

Idle-stop on an ICE only vehicle is stupid and a gimmick, but there is no sign MFGs are going to go away from it. Its great for Hybrids and Electrics, but I recommend just installing an Idlestopper and just be done with it. You never have to think about it again, and your battery will thank you for it.
Old 04-04-2021, 11:23 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
actually; there is a study that measures how much fuel one uses while idling.
hint, it's more fuel used idling than just turning off the engine and starting it again.

Thus why the auto manufactures aren't going away from it.
Old 04-04-2021, 11:26 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
Old 04-04-2021, 12:32 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by justnspace
actually; there is a study that measures how much fuel one uses while idling.
hint, it's more fuel used idling than just turning off the engine and starting it again.

Thus why the auto manufactures aren't going away from it.
The dirty little secret is, this fuel savings is minimal or non existent depending on how you use your car.
Even generous estimates for ICE vehicles say your saving 1mpg at most, under perfect use conditions.
For ICE vehicles, this adds up to extra wear on the starter, which most MFG compensate for by adding a more expensive "extra duty" starter.
All this for one of the most user hated features on new vehicles where the option is fixed to auto-on.
For most users of ICE only vehicles, I would suggest auto-idle benefits the MFG for MPG averages in their fleets more than it benefits the user in practical use.
Thats why its going to stick around.

Edited to add: As much as I hate this feature on my TLX V6, I love its implementation on my CRV Hybrid.
Of course, its also implemented completely differently on the Hybrid where it does not rely on a starter and works seamlessly.

Last edited by SemperAcura; 04-04-2021 at 12:47 PM.
Old 04-04-2021, 01:38 PM
Advanced

I agree that idle-stop is more got the manufacturer's benefit in being able to improve their CAFE ratings, even if only be a fraction of a percent. Unless you're one lucky enough to deal with bumper-to-bumper traffic of SOCAL or New England on a daily basis, the average person's fuel savings is in that 1 MPG range stated above. Even if you are in a heavy-traffic scenario, chances are you'll be heating or cooling the cabin which, I believe, disables the idle-stop. In most any case, the savings is likely not sufficient to offset the shortened engine life, starter wear, and increased battery replacement requirements.

Acura is not the only automaker pushing this on its customers, and making disabling it a chore. My wife's Jeep Cherokee has this "feature," and I'm about ready to replace its year-old Interstate AFM battery. I bought and installed an idle-stop stopper at the time of the new battery install, but it got disabled, so here we are. I've since instilled the importance of leaving it turned off to the vehicle's primary driver.
The following users liked this post:
MarcoTLX (04-07-2021)