Thinking about 2020 TLX - V6 ok?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2020, 09:57 PM
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts
Thinking about 2020 TLX - V6 ok?

I used to have a 3G TL. Loved it. My favorite car that I've owned. Loved the way it handled. Upscale, comfortable, with a great sound system.

By 2015, it was getting old, having cracked dashes and needed replacing in 2015. I also had a long highway commute at the time and wanted ACC and LKAS. Only the Advance TLX had that at the time. Test drove multiple V6 TLX and had a loaner 2015 TLX SHAWD for a few days and the transmission was terrible. Very jerky, with unacceptable performance. When trying to maintain 20mph it kept oddly jerking back and forth. I would gas it, waited a second for any response. That was it. If it weren't for the ZF I would have bought one then and there. I really liked it otherwise. I tried the I4 but it didn't have enough power. It was sporty, responsive, but weak.

So I ended up getting one of the first 2016 Honda Accord Touring. It's been OK but no Acura. I like the way it performs, but it isn't the most comfortable, the audio system is terrible, and it has way too much road noise. I like the way it drives, I like the tech, but everything else is so-so. I like the TLX so much better in every way, save for that ZF9.

Has the ZF9 improved much by 2020 from the 2015? I'm debating on getting a 2020 V6 SHAWD either Tech, Aspec, or Advance, or should I just keep my Accord for now? I need something that performs when accelerating from a stop, making a turn across oncoming traffic merging on a highway, and highway passing. My current vehicle does these fine, but is mediocre in other ways. It was the closest performance I could get to my 3G TL at the time, but was a downgrade in almost every other way, but tech.

I saw the 2021 but have some concerns. It's so wide, making it so much harder to park and more prone to door dings. I live in a place where cars that are too low bottom out and need expensive repairs, so I'm concerned the new TLX will have lower ground clearance. It has the same engine as the current RDX. I'm not a fan. It has the numbers, but in execution the highway passing performance is terrible, much worse than the old RDX, current TLX, and last gen V6 Accords. Also found the NVH too high for the new RDX. Love the lack of NVH in the current TLX.

Last edited by AcuraGuy2016; 06-19-2020 at 10:01 PM.
Old 06-20-2020, 02:26 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by AcuraGuy2016
I used to have a 3G TL. Loved it. My favorite car that I've owned. Loved the way it handled. Upscale, comfortable, with a great sound system.

By 2015, it was getting old, having cracked dashes and needed replacing in 2015. I also had a long highway commute at the time and wanted ACC and LKAS. Only the Advance TLX had that at the time. Test drove multiple V6 TLX and had a loaner 2015 TLX SHAWD for a few days and the transmission was terrible. Very jerky, with unacceptable performance. When trying to maintain 20mph it kept oddly jerking back and forth. I would gas it, waited a second for any response. That was it. If it weren't for the ZF I would have bought one then and there. I really liked it otherwise. I tried the I4 but it didn't have enough power. It was sporty, responsive, but weak.

So I ended up getting one of the first 2016 Honda Accord Touring. It's been OK but no Acura. I like the way it performs, but it isn't the most comfortable, the audio system is terrible, and it has way too much road noise. I like the way it drives, I like the tech, but everything else is so-so. I like the TLX so much better in every way, save for that ZF9.

Has the ZF9 improved much by 2020 from the 2015? I'm debating on getting a 2020 V6 SHAWD either Tech, Aspec, or Advance, or should I just keep my Accord for now? I need something that performs when accelerating from a stop, making a turn across oncoming traffic merging on a highway, and highway passing. My current vehicle does these fine, but is mediocre in other ways. It was the closest performance I could get to my 3G TL at the time, but was a downgrade in almost every other way, but tech.

I saw the 2021 but have some concerns. It's so wide, making it so much harder to park and more prone to door dings. I live in a place where cars that are too low bottom out and need expensive repairs, so I'm concerned the new TLX will have lower ground clearance. It has the same engine as the current RDX. I'm not a fan. It has the numbers, but in execution the highway passing performance is terrible, much worse than the old RDX, current TLX, and last gen V6 Accords. Also found the NVH too high for the new RDX. Love the lack of NVH in the current TLX.
Seems like SHAWD models still have vibration issues?? That is sad. The 4 cylinder was just too slow. What about V6 FWD PAWS?

I really do not like the new RDX. Found the ride harsh, way to much NVH for a vehicle that expensive. Really like the lack of NVH on current gen TLX. I'm concerned that will go downhill with 2G TLX.
Old 06-20-2020, 10:29 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
I also had the early 2015 3.5 SH-awd and loved the car except for the first two jerky shifts and occasional downshifting delays. I switched to the 2.4 and have been very happy since. However, I have driven the 19 and 20 versions of the 3.5 SH-awd as loaners and found them greatly improved over the 2015 in terms of those two issues. I likely would not have bothered to switch to the 2.4 with thse improvements, but no regrets. Howrever, I know that some are still not happy, so I suggest you take one out and put it through your typical driving conditions. As for "vibration" with the VCS, i think its barely perceptable and not true vibration, IMHO. The 3.5 is still a sweet engine

Old 06-20-2020, 10:40 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,434 Likes on 1,882 Posts
At this point I would just wait for the 2021 model even if it’s the first model year. Hey at least it might not have issues, whereas we know the ZF9 is a compromised product, no matter the software updates Acura has applied to it over the years.
Old 06-20-2020, 11:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
I happen to have a '16 TLX Advance FWD that I've been very pleased with. I think the '15 V6 models had the worst transmissions and I would avoid that year model. While not perfect, I have found the transmission in my '16 to be acceptable and it appears for the '18 and newer models Acura improved the tranny even more so. I would not be hesitant to buy a FWD TLX V6. The vibration issue from the SH-AWD models scares me a bit. Seems most don't have the issue but some do. I have zero regrets about purchasing my '16 and will likely buy a slightly used '19 TLX V6 in the near future. Before my '16 TLX, I owned an '07 TL, a '10 TSX V6 Tech and a '13 TL Advance. Have had great experiences with all of them.
The following users liked this post:
Midnight Mystery (06-20-2020)
Old 06-20-2020, 12:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 542 Likes on 350 Posts
OP, have you considered the new Accord? I haven't driven one yet but it seems like a winner.

OP, I am in a similar boat and considering an '18-'20 V6 FWD for the following reasons. Please keep in mind that I have not driven any version of the TLX as of yet:
  • I need more power than my TSX and I fear that the TLX's 4 cyl will be about the same experience. I do plan on driving one just to see, though.
  • While AWD would be a nice to have it's not currently a must have. And because I am willing to go FWD it appears as if I would not have to worry about the vibration issue, the auto engine shut off, or the hit to MPG.
  • FWD V6s are oddly easy to find in my area, I would have thought that AWD would be more plentiful.
  • I would not have considered a TLX until now, as the prices I am seeing are a huge bargain (yes the catch 22 to this is that I may pay for this down the road but I keep my cars for a while).
  • I will never buy a first year Honda/Acura product again so the new TLX is off of the list for now.
Of course the best way to tell is to drive everything and see what I think but the good news is that I am not too picky about the color and as long as it is an A-Spec/maybe an Advance I am good.
Old 06-20-2020, 02:03 PM
Racer

Thanks for the replies. The vibration issue scares me. I haven't driven a newer TLX ZF9 V6 FWD or AWD so cannot say. My wife has an MDX Sport Hybrid. Love it. We had a loaner 2018 MDX FWD, for a week, and I didn't have any issues with that drivetrain combo. It was an older MDX and well broken in. I could certainly live with that if the V6 FWD TLX is similar.

I don't want another Accord. I specifically like the TLX since it is a relatively more upscale experience. I want lower NVH and a decent ELS system. I'm assuming the 2020 ELS is the same as the ELS in the older TLX?

Lexus ES is so overpriced and I heard the soundsystem is garbage. German might be fun, but I don't want to pay that price for a money pit and be stuck in the shop.

The new TLX looks nice, but I really don't like the direction of the new RDX. Went to buy one and got an MDX Sport Hybrid. Sure the RDX handles well, but the highway passing time was terrible and had way too much NVH.

So if I get a TLX V6 FWD, would you go Tech, A-Spec, or Advance? Why?

I like the look of the A-Spec best, but is the NVH noticeably worse in the A-Spec vs. the others? How do the A-Spec seats compare to the others? The seat comfort on the 2015 tech TLX was much better than my Accord and my 3G TL. The one feature I use all the time in my Accord is remote start, so that is a must have, even if I just add it to a package that doesn't come with it. German cars don't even have that.

Last edited by AcuraGuy2016; 06-20-2020 at 02:08 PM.
Old 06-20-2020, 03:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 542 Likes on 350 Posts
Thanks for the replies. The vibration issue scares me. I haven't driven a newer TLX ZF9 V6 FWD or AWD so cannot say. My wife has an MDX Sport Hybrid. Love it. We had a loaner 2018 MDX FWD, for a week, and I didn't have any issues with that drivetrain combo. It was an older MDX and well broken in. I could certainly live with that if the V6 FWD TLX is similar.

I don't want another Accord. I specifically like the TLX since it is a relatively more upscale experience. I want lower NVH and a decent ELS system. I'm assuming the 2020 ELS is the same as the ELS in the older TLX?

Lexus ES is so overpriced and I heard the soundsystem is garbage. German might be fun, but I don't want to pay that price for a money pit and be stuck in the shop.

The new TLX looks nice, but I really don't like the direction of the new RDX. Went to buy one and got an MDX Sport Hybrid. Sure the RDX handles well, but the highway passing time was terrible and had way too much NVH.

So if I get a TLX V6 FWD, would you go Tech, A-Spec, or Advance? Why?

I like the look of the A-Spec best, but is the NVH noticeably worse in the A-Spec vs. the others? How do the A-Spec seats compare to the others? The seat comfort on the 2015 tech TLX was much better than my Accord and my 3G TL. The one feature I use all the time in my Accord is remote start, so that is a must have, even if I just add it to a package that doesn't come with it. German cars don't even have that.
I'm not an SUV person but the utility is nice and if I were to get one the MDX Sport Hybrid would definitely be on the list. Sounds like you enjoy it? What type of MPG are you getting? As for a FWD SUV that is not something that I would be willing to do, as if I am going for the utility I want it all.

​​​​​I'm with you re: German cars. The A4 is on my list but long term reliability is a concern. And not so much with breakdowns, as I have a few friends that own them and have had no issues at all. It's the parts and stuff, that can add up quickly.

It's a tough call and one thing that annoys me about Acura is the goofy packages, at least here in the US. I love the look of the A-Spec but the Advance has more useful features for me, as I live in an urban environment and parallel park often so the auto folding mirrors, 360 camera, heated windshield, heated steering wheel, remote start, puddle lamps would be awesome to have. Rear heated seats are of little concern because I don't have backseat passengers often. But the Advance does look a little boring to me and the A-Spec is a looker, I still turn my head when I see one. The Tech isn't on my list for now because it's just a little too basic and too much like my TSX Tech. They are a bargain right now, though, and some great prices to be had.

The A-Spec does have the fake exhaust piped in and the Advance has some extra sound dampening I believe so side by side the A-Spec will be noiser.

Last edited by ESHBG; 06-20-2020 at 03:03 PM.
Old 06-21-2020, 09:29 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I had a lot of the same questions and concerns that you have brought up. I Purchased an A Spec TLX SH-AWD about a year ago.

I was coming out of a Volkswagen golf R and have some long-term reliability concerns with it. The transmission on mine has been very good with no concerns I’m not having any issues with it at all. It shifts smoothly very little hesitation. It is certainly not a perfect transmission but I would rate it far better than the Infiniti 7 speed automatic I had in my 2009 G 37.

I am coming up on 10,000 miles, I have not had any vibration concerns at all with the car it is silky smooth on the highway, the power of the V6 is exceptional. I have been pleased enough with mine I would certainly recommend it to someone else. I have found that long-term reliability on turbo cars it’s not as good as it is on the non-turbo cars. Based on this I was very happy to have gotten one of the last of the normally aspirated V-6 engines.

I am certain that the new one will make a lot more power, and that is fine but I think I will take the current generation for overall long-term durability, and certainly don’t want to be a beta tester for the first couple of years of the new generation car.

I suspect you could get quite a discount on the current generation car, just be sure to drive the particular one that you’re looking at purchasing to ensure that it doesn’t have any of the issues that others have talked about. But as far as me I am very happy with my purchase...

The seats in mine are very comfortable, the most comfortable seats of the cars in our fleet at this point. Mine is also very quiet on the highway, probably quieter than the wife’s Toyota Highlander. I have owned many Acuras and Hondas over the years and I would say that this one is the most quiet on the highway of any of them. The thing I like most about the seats is the ventilated portion which keeps them cool in the summertime. Mine has the Alcântara inserts so it doesn’t get terribly hot and I very much like the look of the.contrast on the seats with the inserts.

For my particular car, the best thing about it is is a very comfortable long-distance highway cruiser. However when you get into twisty roads it also handles exceptionally well…

You can probably look back on some of my other post in this forum, I was pretty hard on the Acura about the vibration issue, and have no idea what made me get one other than the fear of a massive Volkswagen breakdown. However, I am quite happy that I did!

Last edited by ncelk; 06-21-2020 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Spelling
The following 3 users liked this post by ncelk:
F23A4 (06-25-2020), jyrtl (07-18-2020), Midnight Mystery (06-22-2020)
Old 06-27-2020, 07:38 AM
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Like ncelk I have a 2019 V6 SHAWD A-Spec,and I concur with his comments. Have a little over 11,000 miles and I have not experienced any vibration issues. I also have not had any transmission issues. All shifts, up and down, are seamless. I run in the Sport dynamic mode. And as ncelk also mentioned, the car is incredible eating up miles on the highway. Are all the vibration and transmission problems from the earlier years of the TLX?
Old 06-28-2020, 03:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
I have a 2015 Advance that was made in April 2015. The car has been trouble free. The transmission isn't smooth all the time, but I have accepted that's the characteristic of the ZF9. I've taken it in twice for updates and it's gotten better after each. Less than a handful of times where I can remember the shifts feeling as if someone dumped the clutch, but no issues since. I've done one transmission fluid change since (the fluid is really expensive!).

I'm at 70k miles and it's been trouble free. Mechanically it has been sound and still remains in great condition. No squeaks or rattles, and follow all standard maintenance.

The ZF9 takes some getting used to for sure. I've since added VCM Muzzler and it's been better/ more responsive at highway speeds. Small sacrifice in MPG, but my car still averages 26mpg combined and that's great for a v6. On the highway I can still get +30mpg according to the onboard computer.
The following 3 users liked this post by dezymond:
a35tl (06-28-2020), Chargersix (06-28-2020), ESHBG (06-28-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 07:01 PM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a new 2020 V6. Coming from a 2013 Accord V6.

The ZF 9AT is total garbage. Shifts are smooth... because they are very slow. Everything else about the car is fine. So sad Honda put this total piece of crap transmission in this car.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:57 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by dezymond
I have a 2015 Advance that was made in April 2015. The car has been trouble free. The transmission isn't smooth all the time, but I have accepted that's the characteristic of the ZF9. I've taken it in twice for updates and it's gotten better after each. Less than a handful of times where I can remember the shifts feeling as if someone dumped the clutch, but no issues since. I've done one transmission fluid change since (the fluid is really expensive!).

I'm at 70k miles and it's been trouble free. Mechanically it has been sound and still remains in great condition. No squeaks or rattles, and follow all standard maintenance.

The ZF9 takes some getting used to for sure. I've since added VCM Muzzler and it's been better/ more responsive at highway speeds. Small sacrifice in MPG, but my car still averages 26mpg combined and that's great for a v6. On the highway I can still get +30mpg according to the onboard computer.
I also added VCM Muzzler to my 2015 V6 PAWS and it is more responsive across the power band for me. Any hesitation at highway speeds when getting in the left lane to pass are no longer there. Yes my mileage has dipped but I really don't care. The version I bought has the ability to disable it, but since I installed it I've not needed to touch it. I wish I had installed it earlier.

A related but separate 'issue' with the transmission I've found is really an issue with the traction control. Many have felt a lag in throttle response when slowing almost to a stop and then turning and getting on the throttle like to make a left turn at an intersection. This is an overly aggressive setting in the traction control to avoid breaking the tires loose as you apply throttle in an accelerating turn. This nearly goes away if you disable traction control. That setting isn't persistent but you can disable it and test it for yourself.
The following users liked this post:
Midnight Mystery (06-29-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 11:25 PM
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
The 9 speed auto was a problem. The 10 speed should be much improved.
Old 07-01-2020, 08:24 PM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I also got the 2020 SH-AWD (all AWD are V-6) A-Spec. Put the VCMuzzler on within 1000 miles. Overall very good on power. No vibration issues. Shifting has been fine but the ZF9 is considerably slower to respond than the lightning-fast ZF 8 spd RWD in the Giulia that the TLX replaced. Not really a fair comparison, though. Seats are much better in the A-Spec than the seats in the Alfa - the difference reveals itself after driving a few hours. I could barely move after driving the Giulia a few hours. The TLX is much easier on my back.

OP, for whatever it's worth, I've personally had no regrets replacing the Giulia with the TLX.
Looking forward to many years of comfort, reliability, low maintenance costs, really good performance, and pleasant dealer experiences, even if it's slightly slower than the Giulia.

Best of luck with your selection!
The following 2 users liked this post by rob-o:
Chargersix (07-01-2020), jyrtl (07-18-2020)
Old 07-07-2020, 09:30 AM
Racer

TLX incentives

When will Acura offer their good incentives for 2020 TLX closeout? I've decided V6 FWD Tech is good enough, but will consider anything higher if it's a good deal.

I would prefer new over CPO, especially if there are deals to be had, but I can imagine there being a lot of 2019/2020 CPOs in a year or so.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:17 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
When will Acura offer their good incentives for 2020 TLX closeout? I've decided V6 FWD Tech is good enough, but will consider anything higher if it's a good deal.

I would prefer new over CPO, especially if there are deals to be had, but I can imagine there being a lot of 2019/2020 CPOs in a year or so.
I have no insider information but suspect you could get a great deal most anytime - given the current economic climate. Check your dealer(s) for inventory levels and low-ball them on a model that's heavily represented. As always - end of month is your best bet.
Old 07-07-2020, 05:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts

My dealer has always been willing to play ball. Cant hurt to inquire: Clinton Acura of Clinton NJ (If you do, ask for Mike)
Old 07-16-2020, 10:56 AM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

The incentives are very good now, esp. for a lease.