Shawd vs PAWS

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 11:31 AM
Randy is the Future

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts
Shawd vs PAWS

Not sure if there is a thread on this already or if its too early to start the speculation but I am curious what others are thinking. I used to live in the colder parts of the country(Connecticut) and now live in Tampa. I have always been a fan of the SH system. I push it every chance I get in my RL since day one and its been 7 years. I test drove the RLX and the salesman(my friend) kept telling me to push it but I just couldn't find myself as confortable like I am in my RL. I am curious who doesn't need SH for the bad weather will still prefer to have it over the PAWS system. I want to lease a TLX when it comes out but I think I want the SH system more than the PAWS. Just doesn't seem to make much sense living in FL.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:38 AM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
I had an '06 RL, an '06 MDX, and now the RLX with P-AWS, and to tell you the truth I can't tell any difference in the driving or handling.

Others will tell you differently, but to me it's all about the same. Now, if I lived in snow country, I'd prefer the SH-AWD for the AWD capability, but I'm in sunny Texas and don't need it.

Old 07-19-2014, 01:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Outside of the snow belt I doubt many drivers will push the car hard enough to feel a true significant difference in PAWS/SHAWD handling; if all the rest of the suspension is the same.

IF the SHAWD comes with better parts, shocks, springs, sway bars, etc it will push the performance spread further down into the DD range so it should be more noticable.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_TX
I had an '06 RL, an '06 MDX, and now the RLX with P-AWS, and to tell you the truth I can't tell any difference in the driving or handling.

Others will tell you differently, but to me it's all about the same. Now, if I lived in snow country, I'd prefer the SH-AWD for the AWD capability, but I'm in sunny Texas and don't need it.

After having test driven a 2014 MDX with SH-AWD, I have to agree with Mike. For every-day normal driving (with the occasional spirited fun), I simply didn't feel that much of a difference in it over my 2014 RLX with P-AWS. I was somewhat surprised and a bit dissapointed to be honest. But I'm also not a race-car driver to be able to push the car to the points where it does make a difference.

What I can say is that in IMO, an Acura with P-AWS versus an Acura without P-AWS (or SH-AWD) carries with it a very noticeable difference that elevates the Acura driving experience in a good way. That's why I keep reiterating over and over again that people need to give this a car chance by waiting till they drive it. I certainly haven't test driven one, but if it's anything like the RLX, but lighter? Then as long as they didn't screw anything up, it should be pretty amazing to drive. Cause aside from the jittery suspension, for me the RLX feels, drives, and responds awesome and I love getting in the car each and every time I drive it.

Last edited by holografique; 07-19-2014 at 01:36 PM.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:43 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you all feel that PAWS allow you take corners/turns a bit faster?
Old 07-19-2014, 02:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TLX35
Do you all feel that PAWS allow you take corners/turns a bit faster?
For me, absolutely yes. Especially when rolling into a 2-3 lane intersection to take make a left turn. I feel much more confident going into those at a nice speed without having to apply the brake to maintain control and roll on the turn. The same applies for interstate exit loop ramps. P-AWS let's me maintain better control of the vehicle steering with very precise accuracy on turn radius and the amount of over-steer control when turning the wheel back to correct from the turn.

There are a number of "spots" during my daily commute where I can "safely" test the limits of my RLX without getting into trouble. And I tested the MDX with SH-AWD under those exact same spots when I had it for a few days, and I just didn't really feel any difference (other than the car's themselves being different) to really see what SH-AWD was giving me over P-AWS.

From my personal experience having driven my RLX now for roughly 12-months, I feel that P-AWS is definitely one of the things Acura has executed on very well as it relates to their whole "smart-luxury" approach to providing increased value without significant cost increases. It's this type of success through properly executed innovation that they need to get better at across all areas of their product design.

Last edited by holografique; 07-19-2014 at 02:46 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by holografique:
Gen4MDX (07-31-2014), Rocket_man (07-20-2014)
Old 07-19-2014, 02:51 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by holografique
For me, absolutely yes. Especially when rolling into a 2-3 lane intersection to take make a left turn. I feel much more confident going into those at a nice speed without having to apply the brake to maintain control and roll on the turn. The same applies for interstate exit loop ramps. P-AWS let's me maintain better control of the vehicle steering with very precise accuracy on turn radius and the amount of over-steer control when turning the wheel back to correct from the turn.

There are a number of "spots" during my daily commute where I can "safely" test the limits of my RLX without getting into trouble. And I tested the MDX with SH-AWD under those exact same spots when I had it for a few days, and I just didn't really feel any difference (other than the car's themselves being different) to really see what SH-AWD was giving me over P-AWS.

From my personal experience having driven my RLX now for roughly 12-months, I feel that P-AWS is definitely one of the things Acura has executed on very well as it relates to their whole "smart-luxury" approach to providing increased value without significant cost increases. It's this type of success through properly executed innovation that they need to get better at across all areas of their product design.
The more I read these posts, the more I favor P-AWS more over SH-AWD. It also doesn't hurt that its 7k less and that I live in the city so my commute mainly include major highways and backstreets. I'll definitely drive both and test it out but it seems like I'll get more out of the PAWS than I would SH-AWD. Does the PAWS provide any better handling in the snow or I'm wondering if this can actually worsen your traction in the snow/ice/rain.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TLX35
I'll definitely drive both and test it out but it seems like I'll get more out of the PAWS than I would SH-AWD.
Thanks for bringing that up and I should have stated that before. Regardless of my experience, everyone should try both before making a choice.

All that aside, I think a lot of people are going to be pleasantly surprised with P-AWS.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
PAWS makes a FWD car less nose-heavy (understeer), whereas SH-AWD will allow you to push the car in a corner. Tires and driving ability not included.
The following 5 users liked this post by Ken1997TL:
F23A4 (07-21-2014), Gen4MDX (07-31-2014), ggesq (07-23-2014), Healingduck (07-20-2014), internalaudit (07-21-2014)
Old 07-19-2014, 03:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
I think many of us will come to appreciate what "holografique" is saying when the TLX comes out. I tend to agree with him that that P-AWS will provide those of us who don't really need the AWD, an option to give us some enhanced steering performance.

Don't get me wrong, I don't claim that P-AWS is better than SH-AWD but for myself, where I don't drive the car in the rain and snow, P-AWS may be sufficient. Now if it was a FWD or SH-AWD, no question I'd go for the SH-AWD, but throw in the P-AWS and this might be a game changer for me. Keep in mind that I am approaching my mid forties and not one to push cars like a race car driver would....
The following users liked this post:
Medjai (07-21-2014)
Old 07-19-2014, 04:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I live in Georgia and I still prefer AWD over PAWS,FWD or RWD. Sure in southern climate there is few times it is beneficial, but there are times in heavy rain and such as well as the feeling the car pulling from all 4 corners.
mr2core (07-23-2014)
Old 07-19-2014, 05:58 PM
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts

If you felt the same confidence in the MDX as in the RLX, doesn't that mean the SH-AWD is kinda better than P-AWS since the MDX is heavier and taller?
Old 07-19-2014, 06:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dysonlu
If you felt the same confidence in the MDX as in the RLX, doesn't that mean the SH-AWD is kinda better than P-AWS since the MDX is heavier and taller?
That could very well be the case. With the car's being completely different in weight and size, I know that comparing the two is somewhat off-base since you have that variable weighing in on the comparison.

The only way to ultimately tell will be to test drive the TLX in both configurations to see what the difference really ends up being. The same can be said for comparing the RLX P-AWS to the upcoming Hybrid SH-AWD version. Hopefully coming soon...
Old 07-20-2014, 01:10 AM
Randy is the Future

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts
The more I look into it I find myself wanting to save the money and go with the PAW-S set up but I have loved the shawd from day one. Maybe I have given it more credit than I should but I think it's awesome. I have had the privilege to drive Audi's, BMW's, infiniti's and Mercedes. Not as a daily driver but maybe for a couple hours to push them and there is something about Acura that is just fun to drive and shawd has improved that for me. I kind of wish they added more features to the shawd model besides the different drive train set up to help push someone to want it more. They really marketed shawd as more of a performance piece to Acura but now it's more of a safety feature when compared to PAW-S. I feel like it kind of hurts the benefits of shawd. Not to mention it will probably be slower than the PAW-S set up.
internalaudit (07-21-2014)
Old 07-20-2014, 02:10 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Thanks for bringing that up and I should have stated that before. Regardless of my experience, everyone should try both before making a choice.

All that aside, I think a lot of people are going to be pleasantly surprised with P-AWS.
From my perspective PAW-S is a bonus. When you look at the pricing of the car you can't see where you are paying for PAW-S. It is cooked into the platform so to speak. That they can add this tech to the car essentially within the base cost of the platform is impressive. Clearly it is cheaper than SH-AWD but it is not free.

I've never had RWS so it is not needed but from those that have it is seems to have a very real value which I look forward to. Living in the 'Heat Belt' I no longer drive in the snow, but it can rain like you wouldn't beleive at times and I can see that SH AWD might have its advantage at times like that. But those are few and far between and avoidable with smart driving. So PAW-S is all I need and I can't want to drive the car to see it for myself.

I think I also read (correct me if I'm wrong) that the TLX PAW-S has slightly more turn-ability than the RLX PAWS. And I think the slightly shorter wheelbase with great rear wheel turn should make the TLX PAW-S even better than the RLX PAW-S.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:39 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
The RLX P-AWS makes a surprising difference in handling on a FWD platform. Push the car harder through a corner and you will start to notice that the understeer lessens as the car reaches the apex and allows you to put more power down earlier than you might otherwise think. I hustled our long-term RLX through some seriously windy mountain roads near the CA coast and the system is surprisingly effective, if you know what to look for. That said, you will hardly notice it during daily driving because the effects are much too subtle unless you treat your commute like the grid at the Indianapolis 500.

SH-AWD, which I have experienced on several MDXs and a couple RLs, allows for the overdriving of the rear outside wheel, essentially pushing the car around the corners. The effect, at low speeds, is again not that noticeable so your daily commute is not going to see much impact, but as speeds increase and you continue to apply power into corners, the effect can be quite dramatic. With a fully loaded 2011 MDX, I have tackled Ortega Highway (a road favored by sport bike riders if that gives you any context) and you would be shocked at how well a big SUV like that can hustle in the mountains. Of course, with SH-AWD, you also get the added benefit of AWD, which for those people who live in the snowbelt at the top of a hill, is tremendously helpful.

Still, in the end, the two systems provide little real benefit for daily drivers. You really need to drive the cars with a certain level of aggression to really be able to sense the improved dynamics that each provides. Since I don't really commute anymore, I tend to push my cars pretty hard when I do drive and am not shy about taking a spirited drive up a mountain pass why the mood strikes. However, most drivers are just looking for a comfortable car that is safe and easy to drive. The TLX should be able to deliver on that in spades, regardless of which drivetrain you select.
The following 4 users liked this post by CGTSX2004:
4WDrift (07-20-2014), holografique (07-23-2014), internalaudit (07-21-2014), MikeAmmo (07-20-2014)
Old 07-20-2014, 10:14 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
The RLX P-AWS makes a surprising difference in handling on a FWD platform. Push the car harder through a corner and you will start to notice that the understeer lessens as the car reaches the apex and allows you to put more power down earlier than you might otherwise think. I hustled our long-term RLX through some seriously windy mountain roads near the CA coast and the system is surprisingly effective, if you know what to look for. That said, you will hardly notice it during daily driving because the effects are much too subtle unless you treat your commute like the grid at the Indianapolis 500.

SH-AWD, which I have experienced on several MDXs and a couple RLs, allows for the overdriving of the rear outside wheel, essentially pushing the car around the corners. The effect, at low speeds, is again not that noticeable so your daily commute is not going to see much impact, but as speeds increase and you continue to apply power into corners, the effect can be quite dramatic. With a fully loaded 2011 MDX, I have tackled Ortega Highway (a road favored by sport bike riders if that gives you any context) and you would be shocked at how well a big SUV like that can hustle in the mountains. Of course, with SH-AWD, you also get the added benefit of AWD, which for those people who live in the snowbelt at the top of a hill, is tremendously helpful.

Still, in the end, the two systems provide little real benefit for daily drivers. You really need to drive the cars with a certain level of aggression to really be able to sense the improved dynamics that each provides. Since I don't really commute anymore, I tend to push my cars pretty hard when I do drive and am not shy about taking a spirited drive up a mountain pass why the mood strikes. However, most drivers are just looking for a comfortable car that is safe and easy to drive. The TLX should be able to deliver on that in spades, regardless of which drivetrain you select.

For my interests, I'm not looking to track my car by any means, I am, however, looking for the following criteria:

-having sporty handling that I can drive through windy roads with a grin on my face and put the throttle down on curvy on-ramps.
-Quick enough acceleration where I won't have to hold my breath while passing a semi or merging onto the highway. (we'll call it "safety acceleration.") My biggest gripe with my 4 cylinder Fusion (175 horsepower, 6 speed auto) is that it can feel breathless when passing on the highway.

I'm pretty sure the TLX will check those boxes, but as someone who's lusted over a 3 Series, I'm hoping with P-AWS it can provide 95% of the experience of a 3 Series in daily driving, while having a lower cost of ownership and better reliability.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:44 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeAmmo
For my interests, I'm not looking to track my car by any means, I am, however, looking for the following criteria:

-having sporty handling that I can drive through windy roads with a grin on my face and put the throttle down on curvy on-ramps.
-Quick enough acceleration where I won't have to hold my breath while passing a semi or merging onto the highway. (we'll call it "safety acceleration.") My biggest gripe with my 4 cylinder Fusion (175 horsepower, 6 speed auto) is that it can feel breathless when passing on the highway.

I'm pretty sure the TLX will check those boxes, but as someone who's lusted over a 3 Series, I'm hoping with P-AWS it can provide 95% of the experience of a 3 Series in daily driving, while having a lower cost of ownership and better reliability.
Based on that criteria, I think you will probably find the TLX plenty capable in daily driving and more than fun enough for weekend romps on a windy road, assuming that the suspension tuning is at least as good as on the TSX. It's a little early to say without any seat time behind the wheel, but I am hoping for an opportunity to remedy that in mid-August.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:50 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
I live in Georgia and I still prefer AWD over PAWS,FWD or RWD. Sure in southern climate there is few times it is beneficial, but there are times in heavy rain and such as well as the feeling the car pulling from all 4 corners.
Very true comment regarding rain. I bought my Subaru with the intention of getting to work regardless of snow. AWD is excellent in rain, and rain happens nearly everywhere.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:09 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
I think SH-AWD (or any AWD) is a luxury feature and it is rarely "needed". I live in Toronto and we had a pretty bad winter last season (lots of ice and snow). My FWD Accord and the TSX's that I testdrove (I bought my TL near the end of the winter) did just fine without winter tires (because the all seasons were new). I don't think AWD/FWD/RWD is noticeable for most people during normal driving.

How often do people actually "feel" the difference between P-AWS/SH-AWD?
Old 07-23-2014, 03:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
IMO, AWD is really best for dry, winding roads more than snow... all 4 wheels losing traction is never good.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:18 PM
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by skabei
I think SH-AWD (or any AWD) is a luxury feature and it is rarely "needed". I live in Toronto and we had a pretty bad winter last season (lots of ice and snow). My FWD Accord and the TSX's that I testdrove (I bought my TL near the end of the winter) did just fine without winter tires (because the all seasons were new). I don't think AWD/FWD/RWD is noticeable for most people during normal driving.

How often do people actually "feel" the difference between P-AWS/SH-AWD?
I live in Toronto and if the Tesla Gen 3 doesn't list below $40k CAD in 2017, I'm sold on the TLX SH-AWD.

Just because you did fine last winter, it doesn't mean you will always be fine during inclement weather. But with winter tires in the next couple of years, I'm sure you will do just fine in Toronto. Our Accord with Michelin XI2 tires on their 3rd year did fine last winter season.

Last edited by internalaudit; 07-23-2014 at 03:20 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:19 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
IMO, AWD is really best for dry, winding roads more than snow... all 4 wheels losing traction is never good.
Does this mean one wheel having traction is better than none at all? Then the SH-AWD does help since power can be transferred entirely to this one axle?
Old 07-23-2014, 04:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by internalaudit
Does this mean one wheel having traction is better than none at all? Then the SH-AWD does help since power can be transferred entirely to this one axle?
Yes, one wheel should get all the power all the time /endsarc

Your attempt at sarcasm has failed. If you want to dispute "my opinion", then do so.

Last edited by Stew4HD; 07-23-2014 at 04:55 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:16 PM
Racer

Yes, one wheel should get all the power all the time /endsarc

Your attempt at sarcasm has failed. If you want to dispute "my opinion", then do so.
???

I don't think you understood what I posted. No sarcasm intended as I'm all for the SH-AWD for increased traction, even if only on one wheel.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:57 AM
Suzuka Master

???

I don't think you understood what I posted. No sarcasm intended as I'm all for the SH-AWD for increased traction, even if only on one wheel.
Sorry, I guess I did misunderstand. I agree that one wheel is better than none.

My opinion is derived from living in snow areas and seeing many. many 4 wheel drive vehicles spun out after all 4 wheels would loves traction.. mostly due to over confidence. I was driving a Dodge Intrepid at the time and would cruise right past them.

I had an SH-AWD here and loved driving it on winding roads, sharp turns, etc...

Sorry for the sarcasm
Old 07-24-2014, 09:14 AM
Racer

Sorry, I guess I did misunderstand. I agree that one wheel is better than none.

My opinion is derived from living in snow areas and seeing many. many 4 wheel drive vehicles spun out after all 4 wheels would loves traction.. mostly due to over confidence. I was driving a Dodge Intrepid at the time and would cruise right past them.

I had an SH-AWD here and loved driving it on winding roads, sharp turns, etc...

Sorry for the sarcasm
No problem at all. I think wintry road conditions are some of those times the SH-AWD's true torque vectoring will shine. Many AWD systems, like the Honda AWD, don't offer 100% power to a single wheel.

Haven't experienced slippage with only one wheel with traction remaining but that sounds very possible during torrential down pours, heavy snow falls, and black ice.

If I go for the SH-AWD TLX, I will still fit it with winter tires.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Do they still make studded snow tires? I used to live in Spokane WA and we used those from Nov to March
Old 07-24-2014, 10:03 AM
Instructor

If I go for the SH-AWD TLX, I will still fit it with winter tires.
If you're driving in snow/ice, you should always get winter tires. AWD is not a good substitution for winter tires. The tires help more than the AWD.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:03 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by skabei
If you're driving in snow/ice, you should always get winter tires. AWD is not a good substitution for winter tires. The tires help more than the AWD.
I always do but SH-AWD may make the drive a lot more pleasant and confident though I don't want to go out when roads are messy because then there's the concern of premature rusting because of all the road salt.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:25 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Call me shallow, but I'd almost get the SHAWD just so my car wouldn't have a PAWS badge on it.

That and there are a couple days per year here in Chicagoland that I wish my 11 year old 3G had AWD.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:38 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by svtmike
Call me shallow, but I'd almost get the SHAWD just so my car wouldn't have a PAWS badge on it.

That and there are a couple days per year here in Chicagoland that I wish my 11 year old 3G had AWD.
Speaking of which, the TLX comes in either P-AWS or SH-AWD right? As in, you can't get just FWD without P-AWS.

I haven't seen any TLX with the P-AWS emblem on it so I don't think you have to worry about your PAWS showing =P
Old 07-24-2014, 02:43 PM
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts
It's become a little confusing to me with the sarcasm and falsely dictated sarcasm.

So, all things being equal (namely tires), is it better with or without SH-AWD in winter?
Old 07-24-2014, 02:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Seems that AWD is best in winter, with winter tires, in the snow belt.

For me, AWD would be just for the added fun to drive factor. I am considering the p-AWS Advance model
Old 07-24-2014, 02:58 PM
My first ricer

Received 256 Likes on 211 Posts
My current TL is my first FWD car, I've had a few RWD and my last was AWD. There's nothing like punching it in the rain and having no spin, my TL will spin even in the dry (it could use better tires but still). If the snow is bad enough I'm staying home either way but end of the day I'd prefer AWD for a daily driven car, so when I replace the TL it will be something AWD again, and my RWD car will stay in the car for fun days.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:36 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Originally Posted by dysonlu
It's become a little confusing to me with the sarcasm and falsely dictated sarcasm.

So, all things being equal (namely tires), is it better with or without SH-AWD in winter?
All else equal AWD is far superior in winter.