Remote start questions, please?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 04:09 AM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts
Remote start questions, please?

I just got my new TLX Advance and have a few questions about the remote start and I welcome your help.

Trying it for the first time last night in the dark and cold northeast USA, upon climbing into my TLX after using the remote start, I noticed the following as stated in the Owner's Manual:

".....the security system remains on, and lights and accessories remain off."

I assume this is to allow the car to keep a low profile in a public lot while parked, but once I get inside the car, how do I turn on the dash lights and everything else? I unlocked and got in the car, while the engine was running but everything was dark; the dash lights and all displays and outside lights were all off.

How do I turn all the lights back on? I had no choice but to shut the car off and re-start it again. Is there another way to light everything back up?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 12-31-2014, 06:25 AM
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts
As soon as you enter the car and are in the driver's seat, place and hold your foot on the brake pedal and press the "Engine START/STOP" button on the dash.
The car will go to "on" mode; all lights will come on, and you can then put the car into gear and drive away without having to shut the engine off or restart.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
First of all, CONGRATS on getting your car!

I have used the remote start a few times, including this morning.

If you get into the car while it's still running, the MID should display 2 different notices. One is if you want to put the car into ACC more, then push the Start button.

If you want to keep it running, then push the brake and start button. When I do this, everything lights up as per normal. I have the lights in Auto, by the way
Old 12-31-2014, 06:28 AM
8th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi Pmartone.

I just put my food on the brake and hit the start button. The lights turn on and engine keeps running. Then I just drive away. Does that not do it for you?

(this is a great improvement over my RDX, where the engine automatically stops when you open the door)
Old 12-31-2014, 08:51 AM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts
Thanks for the very helpful information!
Old 12-31-2014, 10:54 AM
a77
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts
This is the first Honda/Acura I know of where when remote started it does not automatically kill the engine when you enter the car...finally - it is the major reason people choose after market remotes. That just leaves the range issue (again the TLX is far better than other Honda remotes range wise, but most after market are still a lot better. And the auto killing of the heated steering wheel and seats...they'll get it right eventually.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally Posted by a77
again the TLX is far better than other Honda remotes range wise, but most after market are still a lot better. And the auto killing of the heated steering wheel and seats...they'll get it right eventually.
The reach on the TLX remote far exceeds the DEI unit I used to have on my previous car.

Walking out of my Hospital building, it reaches the span of the entrance, across 6 lanes of traffic, and starts my car which is sometimes parked against the farmost wall of a concrete parking garage on the 3rd or 4th floor.

The best part is just looking at the remote, and getting the green light to let you know that it did indeed start your car that you can't even see. (The same applies to the doors if you are unsure you locked it. Hit the button on the remote, wait for the green light, and you are all set.)
Old 12-31-2014, 06:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Absolutely love the built-in remote start feature! It was a hassle to keep another remote whether it's an Acura-installed (on my MDX) or aftermarket starter (on my other old cars).
The following users liked this post:
Stew4HD (12-31-2014)
Old 12-31-2014, 06:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by oracion
Absolutely love the built-in remote start feature! It was a hassle to keep another remote whether it's an Acura-installed (on my MDX) or aftermarket starter (on my other old cars).
Agreed! I had the RS on my 4G.. 2 key fobs were a PITA
Old 01-11-2015, 05:18 PM
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just picked up my new TLX on Friday. Traded in my 2008 Accord. Love the car so far and will have to spend a few hours or maybe days trying to figure out how everything works. We are having a problem with the remote start though and maybe someone can help and save me a trip back to the dealer in the morning.We have tried to use the remote start many times and only twice have been successful at starting it. After hitting the lock and then the engine button it starts to turn the engine over for one second but stops immediately and the red light blinks on the fob. This happens with both keys. Any suggestions??
Old 01-11-2015, 05:43 PM
8th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Janner. After pressing "lock" briefly, are you holding the "engine" button until the LED starts blinking?
Old 01-11-2015, 06:46 PM
9th Gear

Bruce, after I hit the lock button the green light blinks and then I press and hold the engine button and the yellow led blinks a few times and then the red led comes on. Sometimes it tries to start it other times nothing at all happens. I just went and tried it again and it started this time. Turned it off and waited a few minutes and tried again, nothing.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Odd. The middle green tells you the car is started. today I was about 75 yards from my car, with a building in between and I was able to start my car by pointing the fob straight ahead, not through the building. Amazing!!!
Old 01-14-2015, 06:57 PM
9th Gear

Remote start problem solved. My battery died a few days later. As it turned out it sat in the railyard for a week or so before it was delivered to the dealer and froze solid a few times. The battery was probably weak when it arrived. Was not strong enough for the remote start to work. they promptly replaced it.
The following users liked this post:
Bruce Dow (01-18-2015)
Old 01-14-2015, 09:15 PM
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 302 Posts
Originally Posted by mapleloaf
Odd. The middle green tells you the car is started. today I was about 75 yards from my car, with a building in between and I was able to start my car by pointing the fob straight ahead, not through the building. Amazing!!!
Lol. I can start my car from my 9th floor office and my car is on the 3rd floor of the parking garage next door. Of course I can still see it, but still... makes it nice when it's cold outside and I can start the car from the office and by the time I get there a few minutes later, the car is warming up. I can also lock the car from a covered walkway on the ground floor while the car is on the 3rd floor (not in the line of sight) and can hear it beeping as it locks.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:33 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Everyone is right, press the lock button twice, to make sure it's locked, and then press start and the Amber lights flash on the remote, then the green light flash, car is started and when you walk up to it, press unlock or put your hand on the handle and the car unlocks, get in press the ignition button with the foot on your brake, ready to roll!
Old 01-18-2015, 05:55 PM
9th Gear

Working perfectly now, thanks.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:30 PM
9th Gear

Another remote start question for those living in a cold Canadian climate. I find the ten minute running time no where near heats up my car. The temperature gage has not even budged when I get in it. My old Maxima was always warm and toasty by then. Is it that it is so efficient now it just does not warm up as fast and I will just have to extend it the 20 minute running time if I expect a warm interior? Btw the steering comes on but never the seats.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:58 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Janner
Another remote start question for those living in a cold Canadian climate. I find the ten minute running time no where near heats up my car. The temperature gage has not even budged when I get in it. My old Maxima was always warm and toasty by then. Is it that it is so efficient now it just does not warm up as fast and I will just have to extend it the 20 minute running time if I expect a warm interior? Btw the steering comes on but never the seats.
Mine works fine. After the 10 minute warm up by remote start, my rear window is defrosted, the front window is defrosted, the side mirrors are defrosted, the seats are fairly warm, the steering wheel is warm and the interior is warm.

We recently had -25C weather and it works fine.

I do wish the front window defrost would not start all the time as I do not need it. Hoping in warmer weather it does not come on.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:30 PM
Suzuka Master

We had a temp dip (cold for Houston) today, so as I exited my building, I hit the remote start and it worked from about 1000 feet away. The one I had in my GS350 would not reach that far!
Old 02-16-2015, 04:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Just a gentle reminder that excessive idling is not particularly good for a car, or the environment. a few minutes is all I ever use and all the car needs. I don't use it in the morning as I garage the car and although we have typical nighttime winter temps of -20+ Celsius, this engine and car warm up very quickly. Love it!
Old 02-16-2015, 06:15 PM
9th Gear

Westonc your seats come on when you remote start it? Is there a trick? After the 10 minute warm up time has your heat guarge moved?
Old 02-16-2015, 08:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by mapleloaf
Just a gentle reminder that excessive idling is not particularly good for a car, or the environment. a few minutes is all I ever use and all the car needs. I don't use it in the morning as I garage the car and although we have typical nighttime winter temps of -20+ Celsius, this engine and car warm up very quickly. Love it!
The only thing excessive idling isnt good for is the environment and your wallet (and even that is minimal, the car will use less than 1/4 tank with the AC on in 8 hrs idling). In a typical 8 hr day my car is only shut off for lunch, the rest of the day its mostly idling. In over 600k miles of use with the TL (with 15-20k oil change intervals) there has never been an issue (and i can tell you for a fact that the bearings, cyl walls, valves, pistons/rings etc.. all were in fabulous shape) and with my other vehicles combined well over 1 million miles there has never been an issue due to excessive idling
Old 02-16-2015, 08:30 PM
Advanced

Westonc your seats come on when you remote start it? Is there a trick? After the 10 minute warm up time has your heat guarge moved?
I'll chck the temp gauge tomorrow. The seats are set to auto. Maybe that is why it is warmed up.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:15 PM
9th Gear

I just have the tech package so no auto choice. Tried again today and car only runs about 7 minutes. Not sure if there is a way to change that. Will have to check with dealer. Thanks.
Old 02-17-2015, 05:26 AM
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
Regarding the seat heaters, there may be a "seat occupant" sensor that will only turn on the seat heater if the seat is occupied. (likely in order not to overheat it).
Old 02-17-2015, 03:48 PM
Instructor

I have found that if you wish to extend the 10 minute warm up time, you must do so WHILE the car is running during its initial warm up period (by pressing the lock button, and pressing and holding the engine button until the green light comes on again).
If you allow the car to turn itself off after the first 10 minute cycle, you cannot remote start it again until you physically go to the car, open the door, and press the engine start-stop button.
If you try another "remote" start after a ten minute warm up- the remote FOB just blinks red, and the car cannot be started.
This isn't really explained in the owner's manual, but this is the way my V6 Tech seems to work (I had the Acura Remote Start added with my $500 allowance credit).
Not sure if Advanced/Elite operates differently, or others experience what I do.
Old 02-17-2015, 06:37 PM
9th Gear

Yes I have read elsewhere that is how to extend it another 10 minutes. I guess on those -30 days that is what I will have to do.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:12 PM
Advanced

Checked temp

I checked the temp gauge after letting it warm up from the remote start. The gauge was at the bottom but as soon as I started the car by pressing the start button in the car the gauge did go up.

About the fob timeout. I read somewhere and it works as i tried it this evening. Remote fob start. Ran for 10 minutes. Let sit off for 10 minutes. Remote fob start again. Basically have to leave it for 10 minutes to use fob again.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:48 PM
9th Gear

I wonder if the Canadian cars are set different as NJtoyman said his will not start unless you go back in the car and push the start/stop button. I will try it tomorrow.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:25 AM
Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 9-2014

Received 55 Likes on 22 Posts
Anyone have this issue, when I go to remote start my car (I added remote start by Acura to my 2.4 Tech TLX) the orange lights blink a few times then the red light blinks and nothing happens (normally the green light blinks indicating success).

Have not done anything differently since it was working before, any tricks?

B.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by brutustlx
Anyone have this issue, when I go to remote start my car (I added remote start by Acura to my 2.4 Tech TLX) the orange lights blink a few times then the red light blinks and nothing happens (normally the green light blinks indicating success).

B.
Have you tried pushing the door lock button before remote start?
Old 02-18-2015, 04:39 PM
Instructor

B.
Assuming that the battery in the FOB is strong enough and you are within decent range and no major signal obstructions- if you have multiple unsuccessful attempts to remotely start the car (red instead of green LED indication)- try going to the car and "manually" start the car with the engine start button, and then turn the car off. This one time action to cycle the car on and off might "reset" the system to start working correctly again.
It has fixed things for me before.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:44 PM
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 302 Posts

B.
You have to lock the car before hitting the remote start button.
You may also just be out of range.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:20 AM
Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 9-2014

Received 55 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
You have to lock the car before hitting the remote start button.
You may also just be out of range.
Of course I have been using this for a while. Solved, turns out my wife had her key fall out of her purse or something, not until yesterday did she realize that it fell inside the car. thus the system would not turn on remotely since it sensed another key inside, interesting.

Thanks for the suggestions, BTW if you need to turn off the car remotely after starting it you can shut it off with the remote key fob as well, in case anyone was curious.

B.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:32 AM
Suzuka Master

Thank you for the feedback. Would the car let you lock the door with the key inside?